Things you would like to see module makers do..!!

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Fiddlestickz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Things you would like to see module makers do..!!

Post by Fiddlestickz » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:34 am

I think it would be cool if most modules came with their own buffered multi as part of the module, so say 8 patch points down one side, 2 ins and 6 outs, or one single multi with one in and 3 outs,,wouldn't add much cost to the module and would be really useful and get a lot of use imo..

Also it would be nice if modules came with choices in knobs, so say each module came with 3 choices of colored knobs, you then pick the one you like to buy..

Also I'd like to see module makers offer subscriptions to their brand and make offers like, if you buy 6 of our modules you get a free gift of a bag of various patch cables, a free module..( one that was made specifically as the freeby ) the only way you could ever get this module would be to buy say 6 of their other modules in the range etc..subscribers also got access to support and repairs and news of new modules, free invites to gigs etc etc..

and one more thing..

every module should come with a sticker, a power cable, screws and two 30 cm patch cables..

anyone else..??

Dogma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dogma » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:54 am

id like well designed modules with proper documentation and some kind of "standard" such as serge or Buchla worlds. The rest would be nice but considering how small this little world of ours is all the other stuff would just equate to more expensive modules

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:15 am

add mults? people will complain the module is too big and then ask for a smaller non-milt version. besides.. some modules do have copies of some outputs and also inverted copies available. but ya know.. buy a buffered mult.
:despair:

free cables? people will complain that the cables aren't as good as they should be or are the wrong color or are too short/long

choices of knobs???? just go buy some knobs.. support the DIY community and people who offer that stuff like thonk or grayscale or modular addict etc.

stickers? a lot of manufacturers throw in all kinds of swag. all that stuff costs money and takes time.. time and money that could be spent doing other things.

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:20 am

i would like record players come with a small collection of records. But it would have to be good records...

Fiddlestickz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Fiddlestickz » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:32 am

ignatius wrote:add mults? people will complain the module is too big and then ask for a smaller non-milt version. besides.. some modules do have copies of some outputs and also inverted copies available. but ya know.. buy a buffered mult.

free cables? people will complain that the cables aren't as good as they should be or are the wrong color or are too short/long

choices of knobs???? just go buy some knobs.. support the DIY community and people who offer that stuff like thonk or grayscale or modular addict etc.

stickers? a lot of manufacturers throw in all kinds of swag. all that stuff costs money and takes time.. time and money that could be spent doing other things.
dude could you be more negative..fmd..

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:33 am

Finally reach an agreement on volt standards (yeah right).

Fiddlestickz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Fiddlestickz » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:58 am

nectarios wrote:Finally reach an agreement on volt standards (yeah right).
now that's a good point, an official standard would be a genuine move in the right direction..

Nino
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nino » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:54 am

Fiddlestickz wrote:
ignatius wrote:add mults? people will complain the module is too big and then ask for a smaller non-milt version. besides.. some modules do have copies of some outputs and also inverted copies available. but ya know.. buy a buffered mult.

i think he pretty much nailed it ;)

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:19 am

I'd have to agree that the OP's desires, while certainly important to him, are not shared by myself.

I've no need to buffered mults on modules. If I need a mult I use a stackcable. If I need a buffered mult, which is rare, I use my buffered mult module.

If I want matching knobs, I'll buy them.

I like stickers, but they don't affect the way my modules work.

I could care less about included screws. Is a manufacturer going to include 2.5mm and 3mm? I think not.

I do not want a bunch of mis-matched power cables from different manufacturers, probably for the same reason the OP would like matching knobs.

I like the idea of loyalty or rewards programs, but as small manufacturers with limited resources, I am also happy to buy full price to ensure they stay in business.

I most wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment of having proper documentation.

FWIW, I do not think ignatious was being negative, just realistic. There is a difference. 8-)

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:23 am

E-ink labels for knobs that have different functions in different modes. In my fantasy world, that wouldn't add any size or cost to the module :lol:

Drakhe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Drakhe » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:10 am

starthief wrote:E-ink labels for knobs that have different functions in different modes. In my fantasy world, that wouldn't add any size or cost to the module :lol:
Would be nice, but that would also mean extra circuitry, you need to mount the eInk panel and drive it with something, they don't run on magic ;-)

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:21 am

Drakhe wrote:Would be nice, but that would also mean extra circuitry, you need to mount the eInk panel and drive it with something, they don't run on magic ;-)
Damn reality for getting in the way again :)

Rumblin_Cynth_Rampo
Common Wiggler

Post by Rumblin_Cynth_Rampo » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:36 am

Id like to see modules come with reverse polarity protection on the power line.

Keyed power sockets would be nice but if you have reverse polarity protection then keyed sockets are just a bonus.
No matter how many patch leads you have, you still need a dozen more
http://soundcloud.com/rumblin_cynth_rampo

bobbcorr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bobbcorr » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:30 am

Rumblin_Cynth_Rampo wrote:Id like to see modules come with reverse polarity protection on the power line.
This. This. A Thousand Times This.

If manufacturers decide to do nothing else as a group, please, let them agree on this.

Robscorch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Robscorch » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:42 am

Fiddlestickz wrote:

I don't see this as negative at all just truthful. WE pay enough for modules as it is typically and when you want those little extras they cost money and it will be passed down to the other consumers. Stickers are sorta trivial, but when your talking "free" anything your actually adding cost to the back end. The manufactures have plenty of overhead even before getting to selling you those wonderful little delight boxes shipped to your door which ALSO cost them money when the customer is lucky enough to get free shipping. I would rather have cost savings over free anything modular.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:51 am

bobbcorr wrote:
Rumblin_Cynth_Rampo wrote:Id like to see modules come with reverse polarity protection on the power line.

If manufacturers decide to do nothing else as a group, please, let them agree on this.
Yes! It should be extremely difficult to fry a module.

To me, pretty much the rest of this thread is nonsense, even the “reasonable-sounding” ones like “proper documentation” (whatever that means).

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:54 am

mdoudoroff wrote:
bobbcorr wrote:

Yes! It should be extremely difficult to fry a module.

To me, pretty much the rest of this thread is nonsense, even the “reasonable-sounding” ones like “proper documentation” (whatever that means).
I don't think that there is anything to agree on - every single manufacturer could just implement this, as some already do.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:16 am

Leverkusen wrote: I don't think that there is anything to agree on - every single manufacturer could just implement this, as some already do.
Also true.

Regardless, they’re unlikely to ever get together and agree on anything, anyways.

sempervirent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Things you would like to see module makers do..!!

Post by sempervirent » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:10 am

Power standards, voltage standards, all that stuff would be great but it's a daydream until one of the Top 5 manufacturers comes out and says:

"Here's the new power connector spec, it's impossible to install incorrectly. Download the engineering notes from our website if you want to use this for your own modules and cases. And by the way, the new spec is backwards-compatible with the old 10/16-pin cables using this adapter, but from today forward our modules will only be sold with the new connector installed and our cases will only include this new connector type."

So what's actually going to happen is that we're going to keep on using the same ribbon cables and pin headers that Doepfer chose over 20 years ago, because nobody is brave enough to do the equivalent of removing the floppy disk drive from their products (to say nothing of the headphone jack).
Dogma wrote:id like well designed modules with proper documentation and some kind of "standard" such as serge or Buchla worlds.
There have actually been several revisions to the Buchla "standard" which are incompatible in various ways:
http://buchlatech.blogspot.com/2008/10/ ... ny-to.html

Just goes to show how hard it is to standardize, even when there's just one designer involved.

I do agree about documentation (not just a user manual but technical specs). It would be nice if that included schematics so that repairs can be made years from now, even if the company has ceased operation (or ceased responding to emails altogether, which is a problem that I'm having with a certain manufacturer right now).

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:10 pm

Make moar modules! :mad:
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

Montgomery Word
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Montgomery Word » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:33 pm

i would like it if people started making more colorful modules. fuck all this gray matching shit.

oberdada
Common Wiggler

Post by oberdada » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:54 pm

There are already a few chaotic modules, but I'd like to see more of them and that they are really well designed.

Foolsafe polarity protection on every module is absolutely desirable.

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:39 pm

Fiddlestickz wrote:

i've heard the complaints i speak of. it's overwhelming. if i'm being negative then it's a response to negativity and entitlement.

i don't let it get in my way when i'm interacting with people. it's just a thing that exists but i think people should be aware of how they sound wand what it is they're actually saying when they ask for things from manufacturers. a lot of people wonder why this that or the other thing hasn't happened yet or isn't out or is one way when they want it to be another way and usually it's because they do not know what it's like in the daily life of the person they are asking something of.

scrunday
Common Wiggler

Post by scrunday » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:08 pm

A huge box of utilities, containing everything from everyday-useful to esoteric, that is able to be mounted to a rack or run outside the rack (e.g., the Pittsburgh Modular Lifeforms).

Whelm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Whelm » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:43 pm

I already have a box full of little freebies that have come with my modules, and I haven't even filled up my 3U rack yet. Stickers, a little wooden toy, some weird retro cards of some description...

Polarity protection would be good, though.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”