MDLRCASE new 12U/104HP portable eurorack case shipping now

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

JasonG
Learning to Wiggle

Never buy MDLR

Post by JasonG » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:49 am

I spent over 1,100 USD to have Arjan (the entire MDLR company) He was taking too long so I asked for a refund. He said he's refund me, but it's been almost a month, and I email him each week or so, and he does not reply.

I have lost 1,100 dollars to this horrible company. I bought an Elite Case instead.

DO NOT BUY FROM MDLR, it is a horrible company with no customer relationship.

Please contact me if you have any questions, and speard the word never to buy from MDLR.

JasonG
Learning to Wiggle

Never Buy MDLR

Post by JasonG » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:50 am

I spent over 1,100 USD to have Arjan (the entire MDLR company) He was taking too long so I asked for a refund. He said he's refund me, but it's been almost a month, and I email him each week or so, and he does not reply.

I have lost 1,100 dollars to this horrible company. I bought an Elite Case instead.

Please contact me if you have any questions, and speard the word never to buy from MDLR.

ProfessorRubik
Common Wiggler

Re: Never Buy MDLR

Post by ProfessorRubik » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:55 am

JasonG wrote:I spent over 1,100 USD to have Arjan (the entire MDLR company) He was taking too long so I asked for a refund. He said he's refund me, but it's been almost a month, and I email him each week or so, and he does not reply.

I'm afraid it's you against many others on here. I, like a lot of people on the forum have received very good service and correspondence from Arjan. Have you tried emailing him from a different email address, because there could be a chance your email client is playing up? How long exactly were you waiting for the case before you asked for a refund?

AJFourier
Common Wiggler

Post by AJFourier » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:20 am

dear Jason, please send an email to arjan@mdlrcase.com so we can solve your issue.

I've build hundreds of cases for people around the globe without any problems.
The refund is done allready but maybe something went wrong with your emailaddress.

Please sent me an email and everything will be solved.

last thing i do is things like this.

Arjan
We build professional handmade eurorack cases, please visit our webshop https://www.mdlrcase.com/shop for more information. www.facebook.com/mdlrcase www.instagram.com/mdlrcase

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Never buy MDLR

Post by dysonant » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:21 am

JasonG wrote:I spent over 1,100 USD to have Arjan (the entire MDLR company) He was taking too long so I asked for a refund. He said he's refund me, but it's been almost a month, and I email him each week or so, and he does not reply.

I have had nothing but a positive experience with MDLR. Arjan took my order during a very busy time (Superbooth) and was still able to deliver early. He was extremely communicative and generally replied quickly. I ordered on April 18th and received the case on May 15th. Arjan did explain to me that it would take a while for him to complete. Having that knowledge I was very comfortable waiting the 4 weeks it took to arrive.

I understand how frustrating it can be when something does not go your way, and it does seem that you have exercised all patience available to you. Considering he is one person and not a huge company, I think if you gave him a little more you would both be able to come to an amenable solution

meatbeatz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: MDLRCASE new 12U/104HP portable eurorack case shipping n

Post by meatbeatz » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:39 pm

AJFourier wrote:Image
Are those exposed mains terminals I can see? Let's forget the fact that cases with an internal mains PSU are subject to safety testing and approval/certs (of which case builders who use them are either completely unaware or willfully ignorant) and focus on the safety of the end user. As a case builder I've kept my mouth shut on things like this as to not come across as bagging my competitors but from now on I'm just going to call it out when I see it. This is an accident waiting to happen. :mad:

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:48 pm

meatbeatz wrote:
Are those exposed mains terminals I can see? Let's forget the fact that cases with an internal mains PSU are subject to safety testing and approval/certs (of which case builders who use them are either completely unaware or willfully ignorant) and focus on the safety of the end user. As a case builder I've kept my mouth shut on things like this as to not come across as bagging my competitors but from now on I'm just going to call it out when I see it. This is an accident waiting to happen. :mad:
Can you please explain to a power ignorant person, such as myself, what the problem is here? Can I get hurt by touching something. Can you point exactly what that is so that I may avoid it? I am very concerned now.

rbhansen
Common Wiggler

Post by rbhansen » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:00 pm

dysonant wrote:
meatbeatz wrote:
Can you please explain to a power ignorant person, such as myself, what the problem is here? Can I get hurt by touching something. Can you point exactly what that is so that I may avoid it? I am very concerned now.
My two cents: this case is perfectly safe if you've got it loaded up with modules and you can't even get to the PSUs (obviously). The real danger of course is when the PSUs are exposed...like when you're installing your modules. But it's a pretty easy solution to avoid a shock: just make sure the case is unplugged from the outlet when you're installing modules. To be clear...it's not enough to just turn it off; you should unplug it from the wall.

To be fair, I was a part-time electronics technician in college and built and tested more PSUs than I care to remember so I'm pretty familiar with them. That said, I've also received a few shocks over the years from being careless...120 volts will definitely get your attention and can be serious, even deadly.

But again, if you take some common sense precautions you should be fine.

meatbeatz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by meatbeatz » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:11 pm

dysonant wrote:
meatbeatz wrote:
You could get more than hurt if you were to touch exposed mains pins with the case powered on. With the power OFF, follow the wires from the IEC mains inlet (on the side of the case) to the PSU. The spade terminals where these wires connect to the PSU should be completely inaccessible. Illegality aside, having exposed mains terminals in a modular case is a straight up death trap. You will notice in Doepfer cases that this area is shrouded in a grounded cover with a warning sticker and to my knowledge they are the only case builder using internal mains PSU's that have safety approval.

meatbeatz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by meatbeatz » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:21 pm

rbhansen wrote:My two cents: this case is perfectly safe if you've got it loaded up with modules and you can't even get to the PSUs (obviously). The real danger of course is when the PSUs are exposed...like when you're installing your modules. But it's a pretty easy solution to avoid a shock: just make sure the case is unplugged from the outlet when you're installing modules. To be clear...it's not enough to just turn it off; you should unplug it from the wall.

To be fair, I was a part-time electronics technician in college and built and tested more PSUs than I care to remember so I'm pretty familiar with them. That said, I've also received a few shocks over the years from being careless...120 volts will definitely get your attention and can be serious, even deadly.

So after stating that the case is perfectly safe you've gone on to admit to receiving shocks due to carelessness AND you are electronics tech, hmm... ok.

rbhansen
Common Wiggler

Post by rbhansen » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:28 pm

meatbeatz wrote:
rbhansen wrote:My two cents: this case is perfectly safe if you've got it loaded up with modules and you can't even get to the PSUs (obviously). The real danger of course is when the PSUs are exposed...like when you're installing your modules. But it's a pretty easy solution to avoid a shock: just make sure the case is unplugged from the outlet when you're installing modules. To be clear...it's not enough to just turn it off; you should unplug it from the wall.

So after stating that the case is perfectly safe you've gone on to admit to receiving shocks due to carelessness AND you are electronics tech, hmm... ok.
Reread my post: there was an important "if" clause you missed.

meatbeatz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by meatbeatz » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:40 pm

rbhansen wrote:
meatbeatz wrote:

I got the "if" and "should" the first time around. What I am saying is there is no "if and "should" when it comes to mains safety testing/compliance. Your point would stand in regards to DIY cases but these are being sold as retail products.

rbhansen
Common Wiggler

Post by rbhansen » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:57 pm

meatbeatz wrote:
rbhansen wrote:
meatbeatz wrote:

I got the "if" and "should" the first time around. What I am saying is there is no "if and "should" when it comes to mains safety testing/compliance. Your point would stand in regards to DIY cases but these are being sold as retail products.
No problem with what you just wrote...perfectly reasonable if case being sold as retail. I'm simply reacting to what you wrote the first time 'round which was a misrepresentation of what I said.

meatbeatz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by meatbeatz » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:09 pm

rbhansen wrote:No problem with what you just wrote...perfectly reasonable if case being sold as retail. I'm simply reacting to what you wrote the first time 'round which was a misrepresentation of what I said.
No biggies, I was implying if a qualified tech can get zapped due to carelessness then surely an end user that doesn't understand the risks involved would be at an even greater risk of injury.

And a note to case builders that even though a PSU might be safety approved and EMC certified in and of itself, that all changes once it's fitted into an enclosure.

funkyjunky
Wiggling with Experience

Post by funkyjunky » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:07 am

meatbeatz wrote:
rbhansen wrote:No problem with what you just wrote...perfectly reasonable if case being sold as retail. I'm simply reacting to what you wrote the first time 'round which was a misrepresentation of what I said.
No biggies, I was implying if a qualified tech can get zapped due to carelessness then surely an end user that doesn't understand the risks involved would be at an even greater risk of injury.

And a note to case builders that even though a PSU might be safety approved and EMC certified in and of itself, that all changes once it's fitted into an enclosure.
I could hardly imaging one touching the main terminals deliberately or even inadvertently. Considering a risk management approach a risk of getting injured is pretty low though not acceptable. I would suggest to make the exposed main terminals' conductors inaccessible by using thermally conductive epoxies like this one: https://www.digikey.com/catalog/en/part ... poxy/32175

This will allow to minimize the risk to the acceptable level.
Founder at DNGR:TECH — Eurorack Modular Synth Cases
https://dngr.tech

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:36 am

meatbeatz wrote:.... With the power OFF, follow the wires from the IEC mains inlet (on the side of the case) to the PSU. The spade terminals where these wires connect to the PSU should be completely inaccessible. ....
Thanks this is exactly what I was looking for.

widgetoz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by widgetoz » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:09 am

funkyjunky wrote:
meatbeatz wrote:

I could hardly imaging one touching the main terminals deliberately or even inadvertently. Considering a risk management approach a risk of getting injured is pretty low though not acceptable. I would suggest to make the exposed main terminals' conductors inaccessible by using thermally conductive epoxies like this one: https://www.digikey.com/catalog/en/part ... poxy/32175

It doesn't matter if it seems like a daft idea to stick your fingers in but that is the way the rules were written. as part of the testing they have a specially shaped probed which if it can be inserted in to areas (ventilation holes on enclosed power supplies) or touch any part that is 'live' then it is illegal. You basically HAVE to assume that the unit WILL be handled by 'daft idea users' (that is why we have the Darwin Awards!!!!) and make sure that YOU have considered and addressed ALL possible scenarios.
That STARTS with the designer/manufacturer and extends to the importer so NO-ONE in the chain between conception and delivery can 'not be aware of the issues'

void23
Wiggling with Experience

Post by void23 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:49 pm

funkyjunky wrote:
meatbeatz wrote:

I can imagine it ... fishing around trying to unplug a 4 or 8hp module's power lead. I've got one of these cases, good to know about the warnings.

Epignosis567
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Epignosis567 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:14 pm

void23 wrote: I can imagine it ... fishing around trying to unplug a 4 or 8hp module's power lead. I've got one of these cases, good to know about the warnings.
Holy shit... I never even noticed this. Yes that is absolutely a real scenario I do it all the time.

Epignosis567
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Epignosis567 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:26 pm

Can we hear from Arjan on the above? Seems very dangerous.

dp
Common Wiggler

Post by dp » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:47 am

I've just purchased a case from Arjan and its a new model with external PSU. Hadn't even considered the safety issues, was only concerned with heat and noise.

The output specs are the same as the Doepfer PSU-3

Last edited by dp on Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nickbaba
Veteran Wiggler

Post by nickbaba » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:44 am

Yikes - I just got one of these cases with the Doepfer PSU3s... very worried to hear about this.

Just emailed Arjan about potentially returning the case to him to be fitted with external PSUs... I want to hear what he has to say about this.

nickbaba
Veteran Wiggler

Post by nickbaba » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:35 am

Can I just see if I have this straight, as I'm concerned about this...

The only potentially dangerous area is the spade connectors where the IEC wires connect to the PSU boards, right?

If the spade connectors were to be insulated, either with electrically insulating thermal epoxy or maybe insulating heat-shrink tape, would the case be made safe again?

Am I right in that? Or are there other potential dangers I'm missing?
eg other wires/connections around the PSU boards?

this sucks, but at least it would be good to know it could be made safe with a simple fix.

Trebbers
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Trebbers » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:07 pm

I'd email Doepfer to make sure there aren't any other potentially accessible points on the PS3 that are live at mains voltage. If not, just cover up the terminals and be scrupulous in using blank panels and unplugging the case when installing/uninstalling modules (which are things people should do anyway).

nickbaba
Veteran Wiggler

Post by nickbaba » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:15 pm

Yes... I have to say I'm surprised about this. Arjan seems very professional and takes his work seriously. No comment from him on this issue?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”