MDLRCASE new 12U/104HP portable eurorack case shipping now

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

AJFourier
Common Wiggler

Post by AJFourier » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:32 am

Hello everybody it's Arjan here.

I'm very sorry for late reply as i wasn't notified that there where new reactions.
Kind customer attended me on this,

First of all of course i do care about my customers and always trying to upgrade my products to be safe.

The mentioned case have all wires isolated with shrinking tubes from the switch and all connetions to the PSU use isolated cable shoes (is this what you call it:)

Also the spades of the PSU that arent used comes with this isolated cable connectors so you can't touch it.

Please see some images below.

As mentioned above by someone else I developed a new PSU solution to tackle all of the mentioned points.

It's the new MDLR PWR powered busboard which is extremely safe by using an external powerbrick.

Advantages from the MDLR PWR are:
Safe by using external PSU
Strong power 12v 2A, -12v 1,2 5v 1,5A
Total of 40 headers per busboard
Lighter
Give maximum space for your modules and cable management
Easy installation by using only two wires so super usable in DIY case projects

https://www.mdlrcase.com/product/mdlrcase-mdlr-pwr/

I hope everybody understands I'm not a factory, I'm a wiggler just as everybody, who's following his heart and try to make beautiful cases for everybody. As demand is really high (thanks a lot everybody for that) and I really need a lot of time building the cases improvements sometimes stay a little behind. I'm really happy the new PSU solution is there. I still gonna sell the PSU-3 option and looking into a coverage option for the spades.

By the way, the first thing i learned when starting with modular is to always power of your case and remove the cable before even touching something in side the case. I assume everybody knows this, or am i wrong?

Please let me know if there are any other questions, always glad to help.

Arjan
We build professional handmade eurorack cases, please visit our webshop https://www.mdlrcase.com/shop for more information. www.facebook.com/mdlrcase www.instagram.com/mdlrcase

widgetoz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by widgetoz » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:39 pm

Unfortunately, using something like "user must always power off" and "always fill empty spaces with panels" is not acceptable under regulatory terms as being a modular product the system will and can be open.
Basically the requirement is that you can't touch any mains wiring and that doesn't mean just exposed terminals, but the wiring itself. Therefore ALL of the mains side of the system must be physically insulated from the user, either by a suitable enclosure itself or a suitable cover.
The tests use a finger probe that mustn't be able to come in to contact with mains parts so even though the spades are insulated, you can still see exposed metal on one of the mains terminals (the unused one) which could be touched, plus you you can see exposed metal at the heatshrink on to the IEC connector, and you can physically touch the mains wires and parts. All of the mains needs to be hidden from sight. The only way you could get away with the current layout would be if it was sold as a fully closed and sealed system but then that also needs to be CE, FCC, RCM compliant etc and that costs big $'s.
As I said before, this is a a 'dangerous' topic to be discussing here and really needs input from an expert directly involved with regulatory requirements.
This is why most manufacturers do not supply mains power systems and those that do are, for the most part, doing it right and are regulatory approved......

bitbin
Common Wiggler

Post by bitbin » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:09 am

Can anyone tell me if this case is easily cartable when full of modules?
Im referring to the 12U model. I just wonder how portable this is when its full of modules!

Cheers

dp
Common Wiggler

Post by dp » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:08 am

No. It's not easily carried. Short distances ok but I wouldn't want to walk too far with mine. I've got the 12u

bitbin
Common Wiggler

Post by bitbin » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:01 am

dp wrote:No. It's not easily carried. Short distances ok but I wouldn't want to walk too far with mine. I've got the 12u
This was my concern - maybe I should look at less HP.

mirth23
Common Wiggler

Post by mirth23 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:13 am

bitbin wrote:
dp wrote:No. It's not easily carried. Short distances ok but I wouldn't want to walk too far with mine. I've got the 12u
This was my concern - maybe I should look at less HP.
The Elite Modular 12u is a bit lighter and easier to manage if your primary requirement is carrying 12u for a distance. But if you want a 12u portable case, the MDLRcase wins (in my book) because:
* both the top and bottom rims are flush with the modules, which makes wiggling easier (this is my biggest complaint about the Elite 12u)
* it has power built in to the case, which means you don't also need to carry power bricks (see above for some safety concerns about this feature; use blanks or cardboard as needed)
* the builtin ring stand lets you deploy it open without having to bring along extra stands, this also means that it can take up less desk space
* the MDLRcase build quality is meticulous and it's built like a tank

I'm currently using an Elite 6u as a highly portable standalone kit and add the MDLRcase 12u for my main kit when I am going to settle in somewhere. I spend a good amount of my wiggling time at a friend's studio so portability is important to me.

indigoid
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by indigoid » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:13 pm

Similar sentiments here. Just took delivery of a 14u/126hp case from Mdlrcase. Very happy with it. I wanted 126hp because I have a pair of 84hp modules (NLC cellF voice/action panels) and a 42hp module (NLC Cluster) that all need to be together; can't do that with 104hp.

When I ordered it I also requested an extra lid like you'd use on a 7u case; this means I can take only the bottom half of the case with me if I want, which is a bit lighter — enough that I could take it on the train to synth meets etc.

I knew it would be pretty heavy at the outset and I will use a wheeled trolley to move it longer distances if I have to.

I'm already considering ordering another of the same setup.
Zap him again! ZAP THE SONOFABITCH AGAIN!

nklif
Common Wiggler

Post by nklif » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:24 pm

Man, the MDLRcases are beautiful. Everything seems perfect, weight, integrity, the very tight dimensions. I've gotta start saving money now.

indigoid
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by indigoid » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:31 pm

Mine:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bobbcorr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bobbcorr » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:17 pm

Indigoid, that 14U126HP is the perfect size case. Does it use the "collar" between the two halves when closed? And I'm curious if you've got the latest MDLR "branded" busboard and if it offers enough sockets for you?

Well done! Now that Dark Modular has left the scene I've been looking for a 126HP provider, and this might be it.

indigoid
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by indigoid » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:23 pm

Nup, Doepfer power. And yeah, plenty of sockets. It does have the split centre setup. Works very well.

Any future cases I order will have either no power (I do have a bunch of bus boards from Elby to use) or MDLR power

TemplarK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by TemplarK » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:32 pm

These cases have no ventilation at all? Am i right? How does any heat disperse?

Selstrom
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Selstrom » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:51 am

Love the look of these cases, they look like exactly what I'm looking for.

With regards the the ventilation. I don't think either of my Doepfer cases really have any ventilation. Is this needed?

TemplarK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by TemplarK » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:17 am

Selstrom wrote: With regards the the ventilation. I don't think either of my Doepfer cases really have any ventilation. Is this needed?
Obviously this case maker doesn't think so xD

ccastellanossf
Common Wiggler

Post by ccastellanossf » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:28 am

Has anyone bought one of these and had it shipped to the U.S? If so, how much were the customs fees/taxes?

neonmercury1
Wiggling with Experience

Post by neonmercury1 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:23 am

ccastellanossf wrote:Has anyone bought one of these and had it shipped to the U.S? If so, how much were the customs fees/taxes?
not sure about any import fees but i just was estimating shipping on his website and to seattle its 119 euro.

windchill
Common Wiggler

Post by windchill » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:13 pm

I've just loaded up my new 12u performer case from Arjan. I went for the MDLR PWR solution. It's a fantastic case. Looks great, well built, portable (but a little heavy), and I love the way it sits flat (unlike my Doepfer PS9), with a perfect angle on the top section. The depth is just right.

The holes are pretty much all spoken for: A Pamela's New Workout, an MI Ears, an MI Clouds (or I might wait for the new version) and a few small modules.

Part-way through module transfer:

AJFourier
Common Wiggler

Post by AJFourier » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:59 am

Hey man, looks wonderfull thanks for the post and the awesome pictures.

Nice thing to add to this is that you can see that the new MDLR PWR works perfect together with Rene and Pressure points. SOme people asked me about this as we use Meanwell power adapters. The power adapter we use is a special medical version where the grounding is different and can be used perfectly with touch modules..

Happy wiggling man!

Arjan
MDLRCASE
We build professional handmade eurorack cases, please visit our webshop https://www.mdlrcase.com/shop for more information. www.facebook.com/mdlrcase www.instagram.com/mdlrcase

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:38 am

These cases look great, I want one, but I have one question about pricing:

According to the manufacturer’s online shop the 12u doepfer psu3 version is 1099 € for Germans and the same 12u case with MDLR boad plus external psu is 1395 €. Is this correct, 300 € more for the external power supply version, exactly the same case, exactly the same psu performance figures? What‘s the reason for this huge price increase?

Catchthehare
Common Wiggler

Post by Catchthehare » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:33 pm

dbeats wrote:These cases look great, I want one, but I have one question about pricing:

According to the manufacturer’s online shop the 12u doepfer psu3 version is 1099 € for Germans and the same 12u case with MDLR boad plus external psu is 1395 €. Is this correct, 300 € more for the external power supply version, exactly the same case, exactly the same psu performance figures? What‘s the reason for this huge price increase?
I asked Arjan the very same question.. there are some big differences, notably the Pro version weighs less, has safer connectivity with the external PSU, runs much cooler (doepfer can get pretty hot), and it has loads of connections for your modules. €300 might seem like a steep increase, but it is justified and I'm sure if you went with the Pro 12U you will thank yourself for doing so.

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:01 pm

Catchthehare wrote:there are some big differences, notably the Pro version weighs less, has safer connectivity with the external PSU, runs much cooler (doepfer can get pretty hot), and it has loads of connections for your modules.
Thanks for your fast reply! I wish I could just buy that pro version - it's available at the local store over here. But I still don't get it:

- the pro version weighs around 2kg less only because of external vs internal PSU, right? But I have to carry the same extra 2kg, in a second bag...
- safer connectivity - never heard of any issues with the Doepfer P9s
- runs much cooler - never heard of any issues with the Doepfer P9s
- loads of connections: 80 vs. 76 bus connections, almost the same

OTOH, a single internal Doepfer PSU3 is 150 € and a single external Mean Well GSM60A18-P1J is ~35 €, so because of this alone the external version should be 230 € less. Instead it's 300 € more. Does that mean, the MDLR bus board alone is like 500 € more expensive than the Doepfer bus board? Or am I overlooking something here?

indigoid
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by indigoid » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:21 pm

dbeats wrote:- the pro version weighs around 2kg less only because of external vs internal PSU, right? But I have to carry the same extra 2kg, in a second bag...
I have a 14U/126HP mdlrcase and feel confident in telling you that you're sure as hell not going to notice it being 2kg lighter because it's still bloody heavy!

However it feels indestructible. Totally worth it.

And if you're buying a 12U/14U version, really recommend doing what I did and ordering an extra lid so you can also use half of it as a 6U/7U case :-)

Catchthehare
Common Wiggler

Post by Catchthehare » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:42 pm

dbeats wrote:
Catchthehare wrote:there are some big differences, notably the Pro version weighs less, has safer connectivity with the external PSU, runs much cooler (doepfer can get pretty hot), and it has loads of connections for your modules.
Thanks for your fast reply! I wish I could just buy that pro version - it's available at the local store over here. But I still don't get it:

- the pro version weighs around 2kg less only because of external vs internal PSU, right? But I have to carry the same extra 2kg, in a second bag...
- safer connectivity - never heard of any issues with the Doepfer P9s
- runs much cooler - never heard of any issues with the Doepfer P9s
- loads of connections: 80 vs. 76 bus connections, almost the same

OTOH, a single internal Doepfer PSU3 is 150 € and a single external Mean Well GSM60A18-P1J is ~35 €, so because of this alone the external version should be 230 € less. Instead it's 300 € more. Does that mean, the MDLR bus board alone is like 500 € more expensive than the Doepfer bus board? Or am I overlooking something here?
Yeah I totally see your point. Drop Arjan a note he'll give you the full rundown of the differences.

Here are his notes to me.. either way, you can't go wrong with either case. You can always order one without power if you want to install your own.. also great point about an extra lid for the 12U

The big advantages are:

By using the MDLR PWR powered busboard you have a lot of extra room inside your case for modules and cable management. Where the PSU-3 eats a lot of space the MDLR PWR give you way more room.
MDLR PWR don’t get hot and is absolutely save because it’s fed with an external power adapter and you don’t have 220v inside your case. (PSU-3 can get pretty hot).
MDLR PWR has a lot of protections on the busboard to protect your expensive modules.
MDLR PWR is extremely low noise and has the best noise specs.
You get 80 headers in total

Epignosis567
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Epignosis567 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:22 pm

Can people who have the MDLR PWR chime in with their personal experiences? I'm interested in how they're liking it and if they've noticed any issues. I'm super nervous about using the MDLR PWR as it's still new, and is a lot of money to risk (and a lot of modules to risk!). Any feedback?

mzero
Common Wiggler

Post by mzero » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:04 am

Actually, if anyone has one of the single MDLR cases, and I got some threaded M8 feet from this place:

http://www.iec-corp.com/?gclid=EAIaIQob ... gJp2_D_BwE

So I could prop the case up... The threaded inserts are from the inside of the case, so I reverse threaded wing nuts to tighten down the feet when they are in place so they don't push the threaded inserts up into the case....

Image[/img]

Return to “Eurorack Modules”