What modules do you think are the most bleeding edge?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Ceres
Wiggling with Experience

What modules do you think are the most bleeding edge?

Post by Ceres » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:46 pm

A large part of modular is looking to the past. What modules do you think are pushing boundries and or forward thinking?

joem
Ultra Wiggler

Post by joem » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:18 pm

Depends on what you mean. Is something being an oscillator or a filter considered looking to the past? Oscillators and filters have been around for a while. Is something being digital and able to run alternate software looking to the past? Computers have had that capability for quite some time. If that's all looking to the past, then there's very little (if any) forward thinking modules.

Or can an oscillator or a filter still be forward thinking, as long as it does something differently than others before it?

Ceres
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Ceres » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:46 pm

I'm open to others people's interpretations. I guess on a basic level, I don't think another MS-20 VCF is forward thinking unless it has some crazy new attributes. I believe that all advances in technology are a result of incrementalism. Small changes and improvements. Borrowing and combining ideas, etc. I think there are a large variety of modules that could fit under this general banner and some are already a few years old but I'm curious what other people think.

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:32 pm

All designs seem to have some sort of connection to historic designs but one that really seems to have stretched ahead is Mutable Frames. :party:

pinkflag16
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pinkflag16 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:39 pm

I don't know about fundamentally new components, but there are certainly fresh takes on things. Like the Three Sisters. Sure it's just a few linked filters, but the design changes the way I make music compared to other filters. To me, that is the best kind of progress, as gadgets themselves only go so far in a given period of time.
Last edited by pinkflag16 on Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sempervirent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sempervirent » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:42 pm

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:49 pm

sempervirent wrote:Image

The Illuminaire
Wiggling with Experience

Post by The Illuminaire » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:51 pm

Honestly, Rossum Electro-Music's Control Forge is probably the most ingenious modulation source to ever grace the format.

Link to video by forum member, peff:

Definitely opens up a whole new world, when you really take a look at the publicly available manual.

sempervirent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sempervirent » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:17 pm

I think of Elements as an example of something that's not widely explored in the modular world... mostly because there aren't a ton of people with the skills to develop something like that who are also willing to dive into Eurorack manufacturing. It was also a bold move because it's a physically large module, you can't really take away any of the controls and get the same results. I think that's a good thing, but a lot of modular users want everything to be smallersmaller&smaller which is going in the wrong direction IMO.

Then you have things like the Rossum Control Forge which seem to do just about everything and seem really versatile but from a UI perspective you're looking at something that's more like an Elektron unit than your typical Doepfer module. Some people have a deathly fear of screens and will avoid such modules despite their obvious utility (including a screen does change the psychology of the instrument somehow). You have market pressure to make everything smaller while also becoming more complex... it's like the iPhone 13, so thin and light that it doesn't exist.

There's a clear design trend that leads back to modules as universal black boxes, with screens and USB ports, running one or more alternate firmware versions with a generic reprogrammable UI... not all that different from a Waldorf Blofeld or an Eventide pedal, just with CV inputs. I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing but there is a certain irony to it, given that many of us got interested in modular gear as a way of making music without computers.

That said, the analog world is pretty much tapped out, as evinced by the seemingly endless release of "new" modules that are really not that different from what's come before except for the logo on the front panel.

basicbasic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by basicbasic » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:31 pm

I cut my fingers on one of Bartons unfinished aluminium panels so his stuff gets my vote. 8-)

Artaos
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Artaos » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:07 pm

Hahaha. End of discussion I guess?

huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by huffnPuff » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:24 pm

ER-301, duh...

Ceres
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Ceres » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:27 pm

Those Rossum modules look incredible. I'll be following users reviews of those. Although, I will say if I have to regularly break out a manual to use a module or if there is deep and frequent menu diving, it's probably not a module for me.

pinkflag16
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pinkflag16 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:41 pm

Ceres wrote:Those Rossum modules look incredible. I'll be following users reviews of those. Although, I will say if I have to regularly break out a manual to use a module or if there is deep and frequent menu diving, it's probably not a module for me.
Unfortunately that type of complexity is common in modules that attempt to be forward thinking. I might just be old, but one knob per function is much more creatively inspiring for me than deep digital modules. Progress within that is more a matter of interfaces that lend themselves to new kinds of thought processes. Pressure Points and Rene are good examples. Nothing new technologically, but the way they respond to your input is exciting and opens up new ways of composing. Deep digital modules are not necessarily liberating. Too many micro-options do not actually lead to freedom - a EuroMacBook would be paralyzing.
Last edited by pinkflag16 on Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

turin horsey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by turin horsey » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:07 am

Rossum Control for sure, and can't wait to see what the Morpheus can do, seems radically different to any other filters in modular.

midilifestyle
Common Wiggler

Post by midilifestyle » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:28 am

pinkflag16 wrote:I don't know about fundamentally new components, but there are certainly fresh takes on things. Like the Three Sisters. Sure it's just a few linked filters, but the design changes the way I make music compared to other filters. To me, that is the best kind of progress, as gadgets themselves only go so far in a given period of time.
+1 for all things Whimsical Raps. Just Friends is also a crazy function Generator, but it's also a polyrhythmic mathematical relationship generator, but it's also a six oscillator synth voice, but it's also a paraphonic six voice synth with a Teletype connection, etc.

That being said, monome is pretty rad, too. I'm biased bc I have an isms system, but it's so good. Like the abstract concept of an easel reimagined by decent musicians who also wear "free as in freedom, free as in beer" tshirts

gonkulator
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gonkulator » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:32 am

Hmmmm... Monome, Mutable, Mannequins, Make Noise, Noise Engineering...

Get a Teletype, and make your own bleeding edge stuff. But to be frank, most of the really mind blowing music I hear is from creative use of the combination of more or less basic modules. I have yet to come anywhere near exhausting the possibilities, even though I still am always on the lookout for the Next Big Thing.
Racks
Solaris Site
Stuff for sale
Stuff for sale shown on Modulargrid
WTB: Black panels

Unflappably nonchalant, with some exceptions

HeWhoWantsJeans
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by HeWhoWantsJeans » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:52 am

That's cute. How 'bout the real thing.

I've archived over 400 answering machines, and the best of which is constantly updated on Tumblr. Public domain! Enjoy! Donate, too!
http://answerphone.tumblr.com/

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:36 am

there's so much. all the clock stuff, all the probability things, the digital oscillators, the things that are improvements and expansions on older things like switches or multi envelopes or deep sequencers or whatever..

there's no reason you can have the best of both worlds. there's a reason the serge random source euro kits are so popular. serge wavemult is the holy grail for me. best thing ever. i use it all over the place.

but really.. it's all still about patching. if you know what you're doing you can make "bleeding edge" music and not have a "bleeding edge" module in the case.

DSP with a good interface and solid implementation of CV control is where a lot seems to be heading.

but there's plenty of sounds i love and plenty of territory to explore with the "old" analog modules in my system. there's no reason to look away from a snappy envelope shape with CV control.

joem
Ultra Wiggler

Post by joem » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:10 am

ignatius wrote:DSP with a good interface and solid implementation of CV control is where a lot seems to be heading.

but there's plenty of sounds i love and plenty of territory to explore with the "old" analog modules in my system. there's no reason to look away from a snappy envelope shape with CV control.
I was just about to post a gigantic, rambling wall of text, but this pretty much sums it all up.

Only thing I'd add is that I'm not sure any module is really forward-thinking in a meaningful way beyond simply being a well-designed module (sound-wise and interface-wise) that plays well with others. Eurorack (and modular synths in general) is a world where a module is just that: a module. One of many, intended to work with any other, in any combination, including ways no one has ever thought of. So whether what a module does has been thought of before isn't nearly as important as how well it works, and how well it works with other modules.

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:14 am

joem wrote:
ignatius wrote:DSP with a good interface and solid implementation of CV control is where a lot seems to be heading.

I was just about to post a gigantic, rambling wall of text, but this pretty much sums it all up.

Only thing I'd add is that I'm not sure any module is really forward-thinking in a meaningful way beyond simply being a well-designed module (sound-wise and interface-wise) that plays well with others. Eurorack (and modular synths in general) is a world where a module is just that: a module. One of many, intended to work with any other, in any combination, including ways no one has ever thought of.
yeah.. agreed. i think people sometimes overlook what a module is a is a set of functions to be exploited in some way.. used and abused explored and discovered etc.. which is why a lot of us got into this mess.

there's always new territory to explore.. well.. i know i have plenty to explore with even just a handful of modules.

Devo-lution
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Devo-lution » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:29 am

One more vote for ER-301.

digable-me
Veteran Wiggler

Post by digable-me » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:56 am

There's bleeding edge musical technology, and there's bleeding edge music. I'm not sure the two are all that related.

I would say a module like Mutable Frames is right up there at the forefront. It's one of the few modules that is a totally new concept.

sromanel
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sromanel » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:46 am

IN MY HONEST OPINION, Mutable and Mannequins are the ones that keep pushing the boundaries forward

Endorfinity
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Endorfinity » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:07 am

Yup, Frames allows wiggler to patch in a way that may differ a lot from previous experience, but due to its unique fusion of features, its also a great utility module. Thats what I'd advice purchasing for 6U and more system.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”