Malekko Heavy Industries Voltage Block

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

lohacker
Veteran Wiggler

Post by lohacker » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:36 pm

TheMantle wrote:So is there a fix for the voltage block sometimes not running straight when receiving an external clock? I read about the issue a couple pages back if I remember correctly so I can't be the only one. This and the fact that you can't see clock divisions when you are only affecting one specific channel are the only things annoying me about this wonderful module.
What are you using for clock? I use it with several clock sources and don't have this issue. Regarding the division number you can actually see it by exiting the shift mode and turning the divide pot you'll see the led moving according to the division.

aroom
Ultra Wiggler

Post by aroom » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:42 pm

Southfork wrote:It’s atmega based so no reason it cant be upgraded. Wether that pin strip on the back is for programmer access is another thing, certainly won’t be as easy as the USB port on the varigate.
Maybe with something like this: https://intellijel.com/shop/accessories/usb-isp/

TheMantle
Learning to Wiggle

Post by TheMantle » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:21 pm

lohacker wrote:
TheMantle wrote:So is there a fix for the voltage block sometimes not running straight when receiving an external clock? I read about the issue a couple pages back if I remember correctly so I can't be the only one. This and the fact that you can't see clock divisions when you are only affecting one specific channel are the only things annoying me about this wonderful module.
What are you using for clock? I use it with several clock sources and don't have this issue. Regarding the division number you can actually see it by exiting the shift mode and turning the divide pot you'll see the led moving according to the division.
Varigate 4+. As was the other user having the same problem. Maybe it's the power supply. It's great to hear that you can actually see the division but are you sure it's not setting a division for every channel if you're exiting shift mode? Have to try that!

lohacker
Veteran Wiggler

Post by lohacker » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:34 pm

TheMantle wrote: Varigate 4+. As was the other user having the same problem. Maybe it's the power supply. It's great to hear that you can actually see the division but are you sure it's not setting a division for every channel if you're exiting shift mode? Have to try that!
When you press shift you can select the channel to be edited and it stays in that channel even after you exit shift mode for sure.
Sorry to hear there are problems with VG4+ I have the 8+ :despair:

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:00 am

bemushroomed wrote:
rklem wrote:
Oct. 1st 2018.

Honestly, I don't know what that means. This is all very vague. Personally I'd be very surprised if a firmware uprade for VB would actually happen.
I'd be almost equally surprised if they "gave up" on the module since it's a module which i feel is bordering to essential. I know i probably sound negative here sometimes, but i really, really love the VB+VG8+ combo, i raved about it everywhere when i first got them and i still really like them. Just sucks that a few things messes them up a bit.

True.
If I were located where you are, then I'd probably be so, too. But agreed on the little things needed to make this module near perfection. It's the kind of stuff that when it goes wrong makes using it infuriating. If they can sort it, there's no reason it shouldn't be polling near the all time top modules on the Grid. Options for 5, 8 and 10v uni/bi would make it stratospheric.
Last edited by Multi Grooves on Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

jwise
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jwise » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:21 pm

Chris Meyer over at Learning Modular recently made a video regarding Pamela's New Workout and sync issues surround clocks and resets with Grids and Euclidean Circles, but I was thinking this might address some of the issues with clocks and resets on the VG8+/VB.

Thoughts?

needto
Common Wiggler

Post by needto » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:44 am

JoeFuture wrote:
th0mas wrote:The disting S&H has this ability built in, it's a parameter on the S&H algorithm to delay the response to the trigger.
Oh nice! I'd requested that a while back... Didn't realize it was implemented. Now if only O_C had that too.
O_C has a trigger delay setting in Quantermain indeed.

rklem
Common Wiggler

Post by rklem » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:52 am

I was always torn between using VB clocked to CV some parameters (most often just 3 or 4) and using it unclocked, as a remote 8x CV fader.

It's very obvious, but just in case it takes anybody as long as me to realize: You can combine both approaches by clocking VB and setting the sequence length to 1 for the faders you just want to use as (unclocked) manual remotes.

I was just about to let VB go, but this turns it into a keeper for now. I'm still hoping for a V2 though – without the quirks and shortcomings of V1.

Pailo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Pailo » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:21 am

I have never had any clock problems with my VG8+or VB.

Overpower my stuff too. Read about people having issues, and
I haven't seen any problems. Use yarns to clock, use eloquencer,
and use QCD and never have issues. Ableton is typically the master clock
for everything.

airfrankenstein
Veteran Wiggler

Post by airfrankenstein » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:16 am

ssideny wrote:I also have a question about muting steps with the Voltage Block - I'm new to all this so bear with me. I understand that the signal does need to be gated at some point since muting just sets a 0V for that step, but I am still having issues doing this with my setup. Basically I have a Varigate 4+ running one sequence and the Voltage Block running a separate sequence. I have a gate output from the VG4+ going into a maths (set as an AD envelope), then into a mult, and then those outputs are going into my VCA's where both sequences are being sent. I'm able to turn off steps with the VG, but I still am unable to mute steps on the VB even with a gate being applied to the VCA channel it is going into. When I send the gate (via Maths) to the VCA channel that is receiving the VB sequence, it seems to multiply the signal on each step. I'm so confused! Can anyone help with this?
Wondering if you ever resolved your problem. Normally you don't need to run the VB through a gate to verify that you're getting 0v on the muted step. My mute doesn't work at all for steps. Was that the case for you ?
Last edited by airfrankenstein on Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Daduk
Learning to Wiggle

Divide Voltage Block

Post by Daduk » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:05 pm

Hi,

Is it possible to give every of the 8 sequences on the VB it's own clock division and length?

Cheers

selfdestroyer
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Divide Voltage Block

Post by selfdestroyer » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:10 pm

Daduk wrote:Hi,

Is it possible to give every of the 8 sequences on the VB it's own clock division and length?

Cheers
Yes, the Divide knob works on individual seq or on all. Just SHIFT+SEQ and turn the divide knob.
My DIY / Music Blog They Remain Silent

airfrankenstein
Veteran Wiggler

Post by airfrankenstein » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:04 am

I might have been the only one not understanding how individual step mute works. Just in case, I'm posting the solution found with the help of Paul at Malekko Support. BTW support was fast and efficient.

To MUTE individual steps of a channel, select MUTE and then the corresponding

channel button on the bottom row (9-16) to enter this mode.

The LEDs will turn off for those steps you mute.

airfrankenstein wrote:
ssideny wrote:I also have a question about muting steps with the Voltage Block - I'm new to all this so bear with me. I understand that the signal does need to be gated at some point since muting just sets a 0V for that step, but I am still having issues doing this with my setup. Basically I have a Varigate 4+ running one sequence and the Voltage Block running a separate sequence. I have a gate output from the VG4+ going into a maths (set as an AD envelope), then into a mult, and then those outputs are going into my VCA's where both sequences are being sent. I'm able to turn off steps with the VG, but I still am unable to mute steps on the VB even with a gate being applied to the VCA channel it is going into. When I send the gate (via Maths) to the VCA channel that is receiving the VB sequence, it seems to multiply the signal on each step. I'm so confused! Can anyone help with this?
Wondering if you ever resolved your problem. Normally you don't need to run the VB through a gate to verify that you're getting 0v on the muted step. My mute doesn't work at all for steps. Was that the case for you ?
Last edited by airfrankenstein on Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

needto
Common Wiggler

Post by needto » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:20 pm

airfrankenstein wrote:I might have been the only one not understanding how individual step mute works. Just in case that's not cas I'm posting the solution found with the help of Paul at Malekko Support. BTW support was fast and efficient.

This is golden, I had no idea it is possible to mute individual steps, thanks!

Daduk
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Divide Voltage Block

Post by Daduk » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:21 pm

selfdestroyer wrote:
Daduk wrote:Hi,

Cheers
Yes, the Divide knob works on individual seq or on all. Just SHIFT+SEQ and turn the divide knob.
Great man, got it workin, thanks!

airfrankenstein
Veteran Wiggler

Post by airfrankenstein » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:16 am

needto wrote:
airfrankenstein wrote:I might have been the only one not understanding how individual step mute works. Just in case that's not cas I'm posting the solution found with the help of Paul at Malekko Support. BTW support was fast and efficient.

This is golden, I had no idea it is possible to mute individual steps, thanks!
:sb:

rklem
Common Wiggler

Post by rklem » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:35 am

airfrankenstein wrote:I might have been the only one not understanding how individual step mute works.
To MUTE individual steps of a channel, select MUTE and then the corresponding channel button on the bottom row (9-16) to enter this mode.
No, looking at this thread you're not the only one who doesn't know (or forgets) about VB functions, because the UI is a mess. There's just no consistency in how to access specific functions.

phutureboy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by phutureboy » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:07 pm

rklem wrote:the UI is a mess.
Actually I'd blame the manual more than the UI. By nature all features have to be presented in a manual.
FS: EMS Analyse Filterbank B1-II | EMS AKS | RSF Expander I & II | PEARL Syncussion SY-1 | KORG MS-20 | KORG SQ-10

drowld
Ultra Wiggler

Post by drowld » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:48 am

I'm receiving one next week.
Is the manuel the best way to learn it or is there a good video to learn the in&out ?

mortal3
Common Wiggler

Post by mortal3 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:01 am

[quote="drowld"]I'm receiving one next week.
Is thye manuel the best way to learn it or is there a good video to learn the in&out ?[/quote

I think the videos by 'voltage control lab' if I'm not mistaken, on YouTube are quite well put together, I found myself referencing them a lot at the beginning., think divkid has one or two also that are good.

There are a few in depth ones out there, just search YouTube. Enjoy!

aroom
Ultra Wiggler

Post by aroom » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:10 am

check this one:

[video][/video]

SuppleWhat
Common Wiggler

Copying sequences

Post by SuppleWhat » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:04 am

Apologies if this has been covered...

I'd like to be able to copy one sequence to another.
(I know how to copy presets)

This has come up because the ability to set division per sequence immediately suggested to me the possibility of instant fugues.
What I mean is:

Create a melody for sequence one, division of 1.
Copy/paste that to sequence 2, and change the division.
Send each sequence to separate identically tuned VCOs.
The same melody played at different time scales.
Fugue!

Seems like an obvious thing to try, but does not seem possible.
Am I missing something?

TIA

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:52 am

hold down 1 and press 2 = copy sequence 1 to sequence 2.
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

SuppleWhat
Common Wiggler

Post by SuppleWhat » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:02 am

behndy wrote:hold down 1 and press 2 = copy sequence 1 to sequence 2.
In what edit mode?
How does it know the difference between that and asking for a 2 note arpeggio?

To be clear, I am asking about the VB, not the V8+ or V4+

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:12 pm

lol. my bad. i misread what thread i'm on. iiiiiiiii'm not sure how to do that on Voltage Block.

sorry!
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

Return to “Eurorack Modules”