Malekko Heavy Industries Voltage Block

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

SuppleWhat
Common Wiggler

Post by SuppleWhat » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:17 pm

behndy wrote:lol. my bad. i misread what thread i'm on. iiiiiiiii'm not sure how to do that on Voltage Block.

sorry!
You got my hopes up! :|

Thanks anyway.

airfrankenstein
Veteran Wiggler

Post by airfrankenstein » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:00 pm

SuppleWhat wrote:
behndy wrote:hold down 1 and press 2 = copy sequence 1 to sequence 2.
In what edit mode?
How does it know the difference between that and asking for a 2 note arpeggio?

To be clear, I am asking about the VB, not the V8+ or V4+
it's all explained in the manual and the videos : do your adjustments, divisions etc, then save + the track you want to save to

SuppleWhat
Common Wiggler

Post by SuppleWhat » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:35 pm

airfrankenstein wrote: it's all explained in the manual and the videos : do your adjustments, divisions etc, then save + the track you want to save to
I've read the entire manual multiple times and watched all the videos as well. I believe you misunderstand my question.

You are talking about saving an entire preset (containing information about all eight channels) to one or more of the allowed 16 presets. That is not what I am asking.

I want to be able to duplicate one SEQUENCE to another, both within the same preset. For example, the pitch information from channel one to channel two, such that both channels 1 and 2 would now output identical pitch sequences.

If that is possible, and I have failed to see it documented anywhere, please let me know.

Thanks.

selfdestroyer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by selfdestroyer » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:20 am

I played around with the save function on the VB and came to the conclusion it is not possible to copy Channel one to two and so forth. I thought I was being all smart and did a seq on channel one and then did the save function then did the recall with channel 2 selected and of course it did not work.. The save function takes a snapshot of all the channels and recalls all of them.

This would be a very cool feature to have to copy seqs between channels.
My DIY / Music Blog They Remain Silent

SuppleWhat
Common Wiggler

Post by SuppleWhat » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:25 am

Thanks for the confirmation.
I will rest now.

airfrankenstein
Veteran Wiggler

Post by airfrankenstein » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:14 am

Sorry if I misunderstood. certainly didn't want to come off as pretentious. I was convinced I'd gotten this to work before but I'm far from home now so can't test.
If I understand you correctly the problem is that the VB can't save the time divisions. Nonetheless it should be able to save the same sequence to multiple tracks which would then allow you to adjust the time divisions for each track individually, but apparently that doesn't work either ?
seems to contradict what's written in the manual. I'll try asking over at the Malekko forum, unless you've done that already

from the manual :

The STEP buttons also act as PRESET slots. You can save 16 presets if you are using Voltage Block stand-alone or up to 100 presets if you’re using Voltage Block slaved to Malekko Varigate 8+.
TO SAVE in stand-alone mode: Hold the SAVE button while you select one of the STEP buttons to save to that location.
TO RECALL in stand-alone mode: Hold the RECALL button while you select one of the STEP buttons to save to recall that preset.

SuppleWhat wrote:
airfrankenstein wrote: it's all explained in the manual and the videos : do your adjustments, divisions etc, then save + the track you want to save to
I've read the entire manual multiple times and watched all the videos as well. I believe you misunderstand my question.

You are talking about saving an entire preset (containing information about all eight channels) to one or more of the allowed 16 presets. That is not what I am asking.

I want to be able to duplicate one SEQUENCE to another, both within the same preset. For example, the pitch information from channel one to channel two, such that both channels 1 and 2 would now output identical pitch sequences.

If that is possible, and I have failed to see it documented anywhere, please let me know.

Thanks.

SuppleWhat
Common Wiggler

Post by SuppleWhat » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:43 pm

airfrankenstein wrote:Sorry if I misunderstood.
I didn't think you were being pretentious. You were trying to be helpful. Thank you for that.

Where is this Maleko forum you mention?
Got link?

SuppleWhat
Common Wiggler

Post by SuppleWhat » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:49 pm

Direct from Paul at Malekko support:

"Hello Jeremy,
No, you cannot copy one channel to another in the VB. You will have to go through step-by-step to match the voltage outputs. If you are using scales, it will be quite accurate. It might seem tedious, but there aren't many steps or variables..."

mekohler
Common Wiggler

Post by mekohler » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:53 pm

How do people deal with the massive output range? It's extremely hard to contain things within a musical octave(s)...When you hit random you never know how high of a note you're going to get.

SuppleWhat
Common Wiggler

Post by SuppleWhat » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:56 am

mekohler wrote:How do people deal with the massive output range? It's extremely hard to contain things within a musical octave(s)...When you hit random you never know how high of a note you're going to get.
If I want to be able to constrain the 0-5V CV to a narrower range of octaves, I'd pass the output to a quantizer that has the ability to attenuate the input (as many of them do). If your quantizer can't do that, then pass the signal through an attenuator first.

vidret
Common Wiggler

Post by vidret » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:14 am

SuppleWhat wrote:Direct from Paul at Malekko support:

"Hello Jeremy,
No, you cannot copy one channel to another in the VB. You will have to go through step-by-step to match the voltage outputs. If you are using scales, it will be quite accurate. It might seem tedious, but there aren't many steps or variables..."
This is the thing I'm missing the most from my VB.

I've taken the time to set all the steps on Chan 1 to act as a keyboard, but can't copy that functionality for the other channels.

So I have to tune 16 steps on every channel I want to do this on. solid meh.

HOWEVER:

A really good function I'm using more and more is that whenever you're editing a step (holding down step button while changing slider) you can press another step button and they all receive that parameter change.
Doesn't help with the above problem, but it's really useful for planning out steps.

It's weird that they don't do firmwares on the VB, if they made it hackable it'd be a beast.

hlprmnky
Common Wiggler

Post by hlprmnky » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:59 am

vidret wrote: HOWEVER:

A really good function I'm using more and more is that whenever you're editing a step (holding down step button while changing slider) you can press another step button and they all receive that parameter change.
I love this thread because for everything that is frustrating about the VB because so close to perfect, I learn new-to-me tricks like this that will absolutely make the time I spend with my VB more joyful and productive. Thank you!

Eurtrude
Common Wiggler

Post by Eurtrude » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:24 am

mekohler wrote:How do people deal with the massive output range? It's extremely hard to contain things within a musical octave(s)...When you hit random you never know how high of a note you're going to get.
Just use a VCA or attenuator on the output to limit the CV range :)

If for melody, my advice would be to get a module that does attenuator + offset. This way, you can force the CV range to be 1 or 2V only with the attenuator (ie 1 or 2 octaves) and offset that (ie transpose upper or lower).

A good module for that would be the Frap Tools 321.

vidret
Common Wiggler

Post by vidret » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:42 am

What sucks about attenuating it to give it a playable range is you lose the scales :|

Or, they’re there but eh yeah.

buyingitwontmakeucool
Common Wiggler

Post by buyingitwontmakeucool » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:25 am

Anyone know if the Smooth function works without a clock (eg if use a planar into the VB CV input to step through the sequence does the output interpolate or still step even if smooth is on)?

Thank you

buyingitwontmakeucool
Common Wiggler

Post by buyingitwontmakeucool » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:19 pm

In case anyone else interested, the answer to my question is yes

See 9:00 into this video:

metaBit
Veteran Wiggler

Post by metaBit » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:09 am

th0mas wrote:I started using a Pamela’s new workout output set to ON to send to the VB reset, and that worked.
This helped me. Thanks!

pinkflag16
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pinkflag16 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:45 pm

Has anyone tried smoothing on a pseudo-gate sequence? I'm thinking of trying a VB to use in conjuction with a VCA without an intermediate envelope, but it will need to avoid clicking ( which is why a normal gate seq won't work). The big question is, how much delay will the smoothing introduce in this situation?

The setup would be unquantized, smoothing on, each step either 0 or max cv. I'd be running all 8 channels, which is why I'd rather do this than buy more envelopes and have a zillion cables in my way.

cliffemu
Veteran Wiggler

Post by cliffemu » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:19 pm

Has anyone tried to connect this to a VCA mixer to save mix states? SSF Muton looks promising. Any lessons learned or tips to share? Seems like it could be powerful for song arrangements. Thanks.

FatKingTubby
Common Wiggler

Post by FatKingTubby » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:18 pm

cliffemu wrote:Has anyone tried to connect this to a VCA mixer to save mix states? SSF Muton looks promising. Any lessons learned or tips to share? Seems like it could be powerful for song arrangements. Thanks.
That's certainly an interesting idea. Couple foreseeable problems though...biggest one is that Muton CV needs 8-10v to be fully open and voltage block is maxed at 5v. It might work in some mixing cases but I think you'll probably end up needing that extra bump at some point.

Another things that would bug me is the fine range on the VB sliders and their sensitivity. Sometimes tiny moves don't register a difference, and when I'm mixing I need to be doin those tiny nudges. So I think it'd be frustrating to not hone in on exact levels with precision.

Still seems like a cool idea to be setting up 8 channel mixes that can change together whenever you send a trigger to VB. I might tinker on that idea with VB and muton for the hell of it anyways..

Aaronautical001
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Aaronautical001 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:21 pm

Also works a treat with rene mk1 cv input (probably mk2 as well, but dont have it).

cliffemu
Veteran Wiggler

Post by cliffemu » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:17 pm

FatKingTubby
I noticed the 5V vs 8V difference but I figured it doesn’t matter if you need to reduce down to line level for recording anyways. It’s not like it’s a filter that needs to fully open.
The resolution on the sliders, I may be able to live with, but the response curve on the Muton may be annoying if it’s not exponential for audio.
If you have both and don’t mind patching it up, I’d be interested to hear your feedback.

FatKingTubby
Common Wiggler

Post by FatKingTubby » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:33 am

cliffemu wrote:FatKingTubby
I noticed the 5V vs 8V difference but I figured it doesn’t matter if you need to reduce down to line level for recording anyways. It’s not like it’s a filter that needs to fully open.
The resolution on the sliders, I may be able to live with, but the response curve on the Muton may be annoying if it’s not exponential for audio.
If you have both and don’t mind patching it up, I’d be interested to hear your feedback.
Tried mixing some basic waveforms and the results were a bit better than I expected. As long as you're used to moving the VB sliders at the necessary speed to get them to change values you can pretty much get what you're listening for. The problem still is that if you nudge the slider and the value doesn't change, nudging it back won't give you the exact same voltage and nudging it farther up will definitely make you overshoot where you wanted it to be. The good news is that the 5v range is definitely enough to open up the muton VCAs while still getting some subtle changes in loudness. Also there's approx 3db difference between +5v and nothing plugged into the CV in.

I set the VB length to 1 and then tried some alternate mixes by holding different steps, but you can also use the offset knob to scroll between them when in CV mode too. Overall I don't think I would end up using VB in this application much but if you want to have multiple mixes of the same 8 sources going through muton it could definitely work for you. With one mix per step and 16 save slots that's 256 mixes to work with, but you can't copy between save slots or from step to step so organizing that might be a headache. Hope any of that helps

cliffemu
Veteran Wiggler

Post by cliffemu » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:07 pm

FatKingTubby
Thanks, that helps a lot. I have the Varigate 8 as well so organizing/copying settings becomes linked to that and may be even more cumbersome between steps. The nudging thing sounds like it may also be a dealbreaker.

I’d be satisfied even with a way to just have 6-8 channel mute memory presets and analog mix levels static elsewhere. While this setup could do that if fed into a mixer after the Muton, now suddenly it all feels like it’s getting awkward with the voltage block.

Daduk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Daduk » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:35 am

It's not possible to multiply the tempo of the sequences on the VB like it is on the Varigate 8+ right? Or am I missing something?

:sb:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”