Malekko Heavy Industries Voltage Block

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

SuppleWhat
Common Wiggler

Post by SuppleWhat » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:57 am

Daduk wrote:possible to multiply the tempo
You can't multiply the tempo, but you can divide it.

Daduk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Daduk » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:06 pm

SuppleWhat wrote:
Daduk wrote:possible to multiply the tempo
You can't multiply the tempo, but you can divide it.
Sending a multiply trigger from my O&C to the CLK/CV input did the job for me.

Thanks for your reply!

meatbeatz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by meatbeatz » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:11 pm

Daduk wrote:It's not possible to multiply the tempo of the sequences on the VB like it is on the Varigate 8+ right? Or am I missing something?

:sb:
Only divide as far as I'm aware. You can always clock it at ai higher multiple and divide down from there.

Edit: oops didn't see that'd already be answered. :oops:

aleszylder
Learning to Wiggle

Post by aleszylder » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:39 am

Hey guys

When I divide the clock, although it seems to work (the steps advance slower), the CV remain changing at the initial speed (this is, the cv out does not seem to be correlated with the steps).

I have gone through the manual but nothing there I think... Am I doing something wrong? Maybe I have a defective unit...

aleszylder
Learning to Wiggle

Post by aleszylder » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:10 am

aleszylder wrote:Hey guys

When I divide the clock, although it seems to work (the steps advance slower), the CV remain changing at the initial speed (this is, the cv out does not seem to be correlated with the steps).

I have gone through the manual but nothing there I think... Am I doing something wrong? Maybe I have a defective unit...
I forgot to say that this happens both in slave and clock modes (slave receivng clock from Varigate)

neilmcm1975
Common Wiggler

Post by neilmcm1975 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:19 pm

Just bought a second hand vb but cant find the latest firmware can anyone point me in the right direction

aroom
Ultra Wiggler

Post by aroom » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:40 pm

neilmcm1975 wrote:Just bought a second hand vb but cant find the latest firmware can anyone point me in the right direction
the VB is not user upgradable (yet?). So you won't find any firmware.

needto
Common Wiggler

Post by needto » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:58 am

Hi! Only thing that comes to mind is that you have a specific channel selected (in the shift mode), so the division changes for that channel, but you're monitoring a different one. Try checking which channel you have selected, or select all of them by pressing the currently selected channel button.

aleszylder
Learning to Wiggle

Post by aleszylder » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:24 am

needto wrote:

Hi! Only thing that comes to mind is that you have a specific channel selected (in the shift mode), so the division changes for that channel, but you're monitoring a different one. Try checking which channel you have selected, or select all of them by pressing the currently selected channel button.
Well, that was it :doh: Thankssss!!!!

borris_yeltzun
Common Wiggler

Post by borris_yeltzun » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:03 pm

can the voltage block randomize X amount of steps then hold and loop X amount of steps that were just randomized?

-would like to use it for generating rhythmic patterns for percussion and basslines with something like a Doepfer A-152 Voltage Addressed T&H/Switch.

an example of similar pattern generation is in this video done in cubase with the apache plugin.

SB-SIX
Ultra Wiggler

Post by SB-SIX » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:32 am

borris_yeltzun wrote:can the voltage block randomize X amount of steps then hold and loop X amount of steps that were just randomized?

-would like to use it for generating rhythmic patterns for percussion and basslines with something like a Doepfer A-152 Voltage Addressed T&H/Switch.

an example of similar pattern generation is in this video done in cubase with the apache plugin.
You can randomize steps with the press of a button. If you have a vg8+, then a trigger to the random input is also sent to the VB.
There is a chance you might like this: https://soundcloud.com/steeboo

Nino
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nino » Sat May 11, 2019 11:39 am

I use Voltage Block as stored voltages, navigating manually with the buttons. One or two times a session VB would freeze the current state. Then i can't dial in another stage, the buttons don't respond at all. I can use the upper illuminated buttons, but the lower ones are stuck. I can reload the current memory bank and everything's working fine, but of course changes since the last save were lost. Any ideas? I don't think i'm pressing a crazy combo or more than two buttons at once, also i cannot reproduce it. :sadbanana:

vidret
Common Wiggler

Post by vidret » Sat May 11, 2019 2:09 pm

my vb freezes up too.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Sat May 11, 2019 4:58 pm

This bug happens when you happen to press a sequencer button before you press recall.. i was recording a video and captured when it was happening here:

[video][/video]

mrerdat
Common Wiggler

Post by mrerdat » Sun May 12, 2019 11:20 am

Is there any way to calibrate the VB? Some of my outputs put out less than 1V/oct which makes the on board quantizer useless for pitch purposes and makes me have to patch those channels into another quantizer downstream.

aroom
Ultra Wiggler

Post by aroom » Sun May 12, 2019 12:09 pm

you all should contact malekko directly by email to get answers.

laneo
Common Wiggler

Post by laneo » Sun May 12, 2019 4:11 pm

Please correct me if I´m wrong, but just wanted to make sure about this:

The CV/Slider recording only records 16 values/steps per sequence, right?
So if you have a sequence with a slow clock and you moving a slider to record it´s values, then only 16 steps will be recorded and played back later (an nothing that happened in between of them while recording)?
You could then apply smoothing so the 16 values would be interpolated.

Is that correct?
Thanks

hlprmnky
Common Wiggler

Post by hlprmnky » Sun May 12, 2019 7:31 pm

laneo wrote:Please correct me if I´m wrong, but just wanted to make sure about this:

So if you have a sequence with a slow clock and you moving a slider to record it´s values, then only 16 steps will be recorded and played back later (an nothing that happened in between of them while recording)?

Is that correct?
Thanks
It’s correct to say that changes to the slider position are “bucketed” by the number of steps (length parameter for that channel) and sampled at the clock rate (I really wanted to use “quantized” here but in the sense of time, not pitch). If you’re recording with SHIFT active, then the position of the slider overwrites each step; if SHIFT is not active only changes in slider position result in new values being set for steps. This can be important for example if you want to punch in and record part of a new sequence but have one pitch repeated for multiple steps - you can do this with SHIFT just by playing your slider movement in, with SHIFT off the second and subsequent steps holding the same pitch would not be changed.
If you’re not actively playing for an audience while making changes to your sequence, it can be much more efficient to hold down a step button, essentially freezing the entire Voltage Block on that step, and wiggle the slider to find the note you want that step to play.
Smoothing can be turned on or off per step without affecting the stored pitch/CV for the sequence.

mrerdat
Common Wiggler

Post by mrerdat » Thu May 16, 2019 11:20 pm

Heard back from Malekko about calibrating my PCB version (summer 2017) of the Voltage Block:
To calibrate your VB: plug your voltmeter into one of the channel outputs, move the slider up then set it to the bottom. You will get a reading of .002-.007V or so. This is the offset from .000V. Let's say your offset is .004V. Now move the slider to the top: if it is perfectly calibrated, the voltage will be 5.004V. This means the VB slider's spread is exactly 5V. If it reads anything else, adjust the blue box resistor trim pot on the back of your VB to the correct offset.
I hope this is clear.
I guess I got lucky because there's no offset on mine and it now reads 0.000V - 5.000V. Tracking is spot on after calibration! Huge difference!

laneo
Common Wiggler

Post by laneo » Fri May 17, 2019 10:03 am

hlprmnky wrote:
laneo wrote:Please correct me if I´m wrong, but just wanted to make sure about this:

Is that correct?
Thanks
It’s correct to say that changes to the slider position are “bucketed” by the number of steps (length parameter for that channel) and sampled at the clock rate (I really wanted to use “quantized” here but in the sense of time, not pitch). If you’re recording with SHIFT active, then the position of the slider overwrites each step; if SHIFT is not active only changes in slider position result in new values being set for steps. This can be important for example if you want to punch in and record part of a new sequence but have one pitch repeated for multiple steps - you can do this with SHIFT just by playing your slider movement in, with SHIFT off the second and subsequent steps holding the same pitch would not be changed.
If you’re not actively playing for an audience while making changes to your sequence, it can be much more efficient to hold down a step button, essentially freezing the entire Voltage Block on that step, and wiggle the slider to find the note you want that step to play.
Smoothing can be turned on or off per step without affecting the stored pitch/CV for the sequence.
Thanks for your help

Fedor
Common Wiggler

Post by Fedor » Fri May 24, 2019 5:45 pm

After plugging in a new module with reversed power cable from the factory my VB and VG 4+ stopped working. I guess they're dead? Quad envelope is fine tho. :omg:

honeysmack
Common Wiggler

Post by honeysmack » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:30 am

vidret wrote:my vb freezes up too.
Yep, mine is freezing up as well. Works completely fine for approx 5-10 minutes, then I'm unable to edit voltages or modes. Only way is to power down the rack. :hmm:

I've got plenty of power and there's no conflicting bus clock sends from other modules except the Varigate8 as the master.

Hope someone can please advise, thanks

honeysmack
Common Wiggler

Post by honeysmack » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:35 am

bemushroomed wrote:This bug happens when you happen to press a sequencer button before you press recall.. i was recording a video and captured when it was happening here:

[/video]
This is happening to me too!

macio
Learning to Wiggle

Post by macio » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:57 am

giftculture wrote: not to mention *per sequence* independent settings for division, quantization, sequence length (hello polyrhythms), etc...
The polyrhythms?
Reading from the manual: "Clock can be divided by up to 16"

I don't owe this module but this part makes me hesitant. Does it mean i can divide the clock by other divisors? Because sequence length is not what constitutes polyrhythm but polymeter.

vidret
Common Wiggler

Post by vidret » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:50 am

honeysmack wrote:
vidret wrote:my vb freezes up too.
Yep, mine is freezing up as well. Works completely fine for approx 5-10 minutes, then I'm unable to edit voltages or modes. Only way is to power down the rack. :hmm:

I've got plenty of power and there's no conflicting bus clock sends from other modules except the Varigate8 as the master.

Hope someone can please advise, thanks
It’s a shame, I really like it, but this has made me look for a new alternative.

Nothing bums me out so much as having faulty gear, or being in the groove and suddenly having to reset everything.

Might as well torture myself in front of the computer if I want those kinds of problems.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”