Malekko Heavy Industries Voltage Block

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:23 am

vidret wrote: Nothing bums me out so much as having faulty gear, or being in the groove and suddenly having to reset everything.

Might as well torture myself in front of the computer if I want those kinds of problems.
Like i said earlier, that bug only happens when you press a sequencer button before you press recall.. as long as you understand that you're ok.. if it's a module you tend to use "live" more than just sequencing songs then yeah it can be an issue but it's probably also something you can learn to do right.

spilthyfred
Common Wiggler

Post by spilthyfred » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:48 am

This is by far one of my favorite modules that I own. I do have one small gripe though, and I am wondering if there is something I am overlooking.

I like to run my tracks out of the Voltage Block at different clock divisions. The problem is that when I go to move a slider to change a sequence, the module doesn't seem to update the clock speed information on the step LEDs for that track.

Is selecting the track with the SHIFT button the only way to get the module to display the clock rate for each track? Seems like it should show that information when the slider is moved for each pattern.

ProgRocket
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ProgRocket » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:56 am

Weird, i've been waiting for this module to come available on second hand markets for quite a while - nobody is selling it, because they loves theirs to death. Suddenly in the last two days appeared no less then 5 voltage blocks on reverb and one on ebay in germany.

Is that just a weird coincident, or is there something that i don't know... like a version 2 comming out, or something even better replaced it?

induktor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by induktor » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:14 am

ProgRocket wrote:Weird, i've been waiting for this module to come available on second hand markets for quite a while - nobody is selling it, because they loves theirs to death. Suddenly in the last two days appeared no less then 5 voltage blocks on reverb and one on ebay in germany.

Is that just a weird coincident, or is there something that i don't know... like a version 2 comming out, or something even better replaced it?
My guess is that some WMD Metron owners are selling theirs to make way for the Voltera CV expander.

synthetic144
Learning to Wiggle

Post by synthetic144 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:39 pm

bemushroomed wrote:This bug happens when you happen to press a sequencer button before you press recall.. i was recording a video and captured when it was happening here:

[video][/video]
Sometimes I keep pressing other sequence buttons and it continues working, no need to recall saved patch to start moving again. Hope it works for u too

base615
Common Wiggler

Post by base615 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:07 pm

spilthyfred wrote:This is by far one of my favorite modules that I own. I do have one small gripe though, and I am wondering if there is something I am overlooking.

I like to run my tracks out of the Voltage Block at different clock divisions. The problem is that when I go to move a slider to change a sequence, the module doesn't seem to update the clock speed information on the step LEDs for that track.

Is selecting the track with the SHIFT button the only way to get the module to display the clock rate for each track? Seems like it should show that information when the slider is moved for each pattern.
Yeah, the clock rate only shows for the selected track

Severed head
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Severed head » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:48 am

vidret wrote:my vb freezes up too.
bemushroomed wrote: Like i said earlier, that bug only happens when you press a sequencer button before you press recall..
not necessarily
I bought one right when it was released,
and mine froze up quite a few times, and I had nothing saved and hadn't even learned how to use the recall function yet, and it would happen while I wasn't even touching the module. It was a while ago but I specifically recall that because the first 2-3 times it happened I thought maybe I had hit something.
but after a few times of it freezing while adjusting other modules I realized it was just a quark/bug in the module.
aroom wrote:you all should contact malekko directly by email to get answers.
I contacted Malekko and they were pretty helpful, the dude that owns the company even HMU and gave me his cell number saying to call him directly if I had any problems and we could talk about issues in real time while I was experiencing them to see if it was a user error that I could resolve with learning what I was doing wrong or if it was a bug, and he even offered to swap the module or have it sent back to him or just straight cash if I was unhappy with it. being that the freezing was something that is not acceptable if its happening during a live set.

bastian23
Common Wiggler

Post by bastian23 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:46 am

great module! looks fantastic with the black & gold faceplate…

evs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by evs » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:16 am

really, if anytime a voltage block style module comes that actually works and has not so many bugs, at least not bugs i hate, i would directly get one again. the concept of this module is super great. but all the stuff not working correctly is making this a no go for me.. :-(
(i never regret selling mine, i just regret that its not working better.. it could have been a super hero module:-))

Severed head
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Severed head » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:54 pm

I only sold mine because I had to sell
I never even considered selling it for the bugs.
Unfortunately it made it a potential disaster in the making in a live setting but at the same time that’s also part of the beauty of live performance for me anyway.

- this reminds me one time I was performing and about 10mins into my ambient drone set that dude rat bastard unplugged my amp accidentally of course and at that point it just seem really strange to try and start that kinda set from scratch again so I had to just totally flip the switch and do something totally different and it turned out awesome! Tony Conrad came up to me at the end and said, “hey kid your set was moving along kinda slow, it’s a good thing rat unplugged so you could play that beautiful composition”

Muff McMuff
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Muff McMuff » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:38 am

I had never heard of the dude Rat Bastard so i had to google him. Cool name and involved with Bored Shitless Fest in Miami. That title alone would have got me interested. He sounds like a cool dude.

[video][/video]

Tomorrow Sounds Good
Common Wiggler

Post by Tomorrow Sounds Good » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:38 am

Is there likely to be a firmware update to sort out the bugs ?

aroom
Ultra Wiggler

Post by aroom » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:26 am

We are all waiting for a firmware update (on the varigate 8+ too...). That being said the hardware as it is doesn’t include any input to update the firmware. So it’s a bit hopeless.

Tomorrow Sounds Good
Common Wiggler

Post by Tomorrow Sounds Good » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:51 am

aroom wrote:We are all waiting for a firmware update (on the varigate 8+ too...). That being said the hardware as it is doesn’t include any input to update the firmware. So it’s a bit hopeless.
Factory return ?

hewed
Common Wiggler

Post by hewed » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:01 am

Is there a reliable key sequence to get the unit responding to external clock? I've convinced it to start sometimes by mashing mute, shift and length in random combinations, but not reliably.
More GAS budget than talent

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:27 am

Tomorrow Sounds Good wrote:
aroom wrote:We are all waiting for a firmware update (on the varigate 8+ too...). That being said the hardware as it is doesn’t include any input to update the firmware. So it’s a bit hopeless.
Factory return ?
Malekko has overall shown very little interest in these modules (varigate and voltage block) so i doubt it. Took ages for them to do some very slight fixes to varigate. We might see a version II of them though.. they're both good modules that could have been close to what i would say almost essential modules if they had spent perhaps an extra year to tweak layout and firmware.

Pakipaki
Learning to Wiggle

somebody knows what is this ? pattern button + shift

Post by Pakipaki » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:50 am

Somebody knows what is this ? pattern button + shift , strange regime how to get out of there , no clock response , just faders controlling voltage for each of 8 cv outs ? [video][/video]

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:12 am

evs wrote:really, if anytime a voltage block style module comes that actually works and has not so many bugs, at least not bugs i hate, i would directly get one again. the concept of this module is super great. but all the stuff not working correctly is making this a no go for me.. :-(
(i never regret selling mine, i just regret that its not working better.. it could have been a super hero module:-))
Iirc Livestock's latest module overlaps with VB...maybe worth a look?
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

Severed head
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Severed head » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:26 pm

Muff McMuff wrote:I had never heard of the dude Rat Bastard so i had to google him. Cool name and involved with Bored Shitless Fest in Miami. That title alone would have got me interested. He sounds like a cool dude.
yeah he's a main stay of the Miami noise/experimental/whatever scene
he's cool as a dude but I won't comment on the coolness or lack there of in regards to his music, I will say though I was playing a lot of show around the early 2000's when the noise scene was scratching its was into a genre and the "anything goes" mentality was a trend and he took that to heart, id say for better or worse, is up to the listener/audience.
------------------
but were deviating for VB.
great module, some bugs
take 'em or leave it.

Tomorrow Sounds Good wrote:
Factory return ?
I thought one of the 2 (or both) I dont have them currently) had a usb jack on the back?

macio
Learning to Wiggle

Post by macio » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:54 am

Hey,

Could I achieve similar functionality with VB as with Polyend Preset? So with unpatched clock or muted clock I could use buttons to choose 8 x cv presets?

m-m
Common Wiggler

Post by m-m » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:01 am

Sure, the VB can do something like that. Set the length of all tracks to 1. You can also select a scale for each track. Use the 16 save/recall locations as presets.

Or simply don't have a clock input and select a step with the buttons.

Or you could switch it to CV and patch a voltage offset into CV in. Then the offset selects one of the 16 steps which now are your cv presets.
macio wrote:Hey,

Could I achieve similar functionality with VB as with Polyend Preset? So with unpatched clock or muted clock I could use buttons to choose 8 x cv presets?

jooga1972
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jooga1972 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:10 am

Hey All,

Hope it's OK to share this here, I don't think this forum needs yet another "VB issues" topic...

I've had my VB for like two weeks (bought it used from the 1st owner) and issues have begun to manifest. Not sure everyone is into per step mutes but I'd love to use this feature, only it doesn't work OK: mutes set on any of the 8 sequences appear on all the other channels, no matter you correctly selected the one channel you needed to edit. So I have eight channels with exactly the same mutes all over. If mute works, because sometimes it doesn't work at all, all steps are triggered, muted or not. Needless to say, I'm so unhappy with this because I love the module's concept and UI, the VB would be ideal for live performances, etc. Like this, I'm already thinking of letting it go. Malekko haven't yet replied but maybe they never will, based on the many stories I've read here on the forum. I experienced some other weird behaviour with the VB, like accidental power off then back, it happened only once though, still don't know whay. It's installed in a Make Noise 104 hp skiff and at present there are only two other modules in the same rack so I doubt my issues are power-related. Anyways, I'll appreciate if you guys have any tips, advice.
Cheers.

Update: Malekko got back to me and admitted that per step mute is “not very stable” and asked photos of the panel. I sent the photos and asked if a fw update is in the making, will give feedback on this if and when I have some news.

Update 2, this just in from Malekko: VB units from the first batch (2017) are sensitive to power issues and are not reverse-power protected; firmware update for early VB units (mine included) will not happen; later units come with a modified processor and their firmware can be updated via an audio file. I decided to keep the module because even with the bugs it’s just essential in my system.

Ashitaaka
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Ashitaaka » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:35 am

resynthesize wrote:Not sure if this is possible in a firmware update, but I would love it if the ATT knob (used for incoming CV attenuation when in CV mode) doubled as a CV output attenuation knob in clock/slave mode. The 5v range makes it tough to find specific notes. I can run the CV output through an attenuator module, but then the any scale quantization I have is also destroyed.
Exactly what i miss! Attenuate without loosing the scale !

Ashitaaka
Learning to Wiggle

Update needed

Post by Ashitaaka » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:35 am

resynthesize wrote:Not sure if this is possible in a firmware update, but I would love it if the ATT knob (used for incoming CV attenuation when in CV mode) doubled as a CV output attenuation knob in clock/slave mode. The 5v range makes it tough to find specific notes. I can run the CV output through an attenuator module, but then the any scale quantization I have is also destroyed.
Exactly what i miss! Attenuate without loosing the scale !

uebl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by uebl » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:58 am

I know it's not what you'd like to hear, but you can of course just attenuate and use an external quantiser. Yes, I know, more hp. I would also love to have this functionality, but it's not gonna happen, I'm afraid.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”