Malekko Heavy Industries Voltage Block

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

meatbeatz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by meatbeatz » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:26 pm

uebl wrote:I know it's not what you'd like to hear, but you can of course just attenuate and use an external quantiser. Yes, I know, more hp. I would also love to have this functionality, but it's not gonna happen, I'm afraid.
unfortunately you lose all that glide goodness. sinfonion however will scale the input and can also pass glides which is the only workaround I'm aware of.

hewed
Common Wiggler

Post by hewed » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:07 am

hewed wrote:Is there a reliable key sequence to get the unit responding to external clock? I've convinced it to start sometimes by mashing mute, shift and length in random combinations, but not reliably.
For anyone who may run into the same "VB stops responding to clock" problem I had:
- My VB is a v1.5
- I finally got around to contacting Malekko support about this issue
- I got a very fast and friendly response from Paul
- After trying a few things, it turned out flashing the v1.5 firmware onto the unit fixed it up straight away
- I also got to exchange pleasant pleasantries with a key member of Ministry and Lard, both bands who were the soundtracks of my late teens/early 20s and whose music I can still happily listen to
More GAS budget than talent

huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Malekko Heavy Industries Voltage Block

Post by huffnPuff » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:06 am

I'm looking for a hands-on way to send up to 16 preset voltages to multiple destinations in a patch. Can you slave a Voltage Block to another Voltage Block?

Also, when using very slow clocks, how smooth is "SMOOTH"? Will it slowly morph between presets? I see no means to change the glide rate, so I assume it is derived from the external clock?

Finally, how mature is the current firmware and have all bugs been ironed-out? Thanks!

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:40 am

Does anyone know how many stages of attenuation is possible with this?

Yes, i know you can put 16 notes in the sequence, i mean possible note range in total.

This isn't in the manual. Maybe its somehow self-explanatory and its just me who doesn't get it.

I want to use it for a wide range of sample selection.

Edit: I used a text-to-speech program and sampled numbers from 1 to 60. I was able to dial in 36 samples.

Edit 2: Got a reply from Malekko (i emailed them earlier today).. they claim it's 60 in chromatic scale (didnt test chromatic scale, only unquantized - which i thought would give the best range).

Flamusic
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by Flamusic » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:25 am

hewed wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:07 am
hewed wrote:Is there a reliable key sequence to get the unit responding to external clock? I've convinced it to start sometimes by mashing mute, shift and length in random combinations, but not reliably.
For anyone who may run into the same "VB stops responding to clock" problem I had:
- My VB is a v1.5
- After trying a few things, it turned out flashing the v1.5 firmware onto the unit fixed it up straight away
- I also got to exchange pleasant pleasantries with a key member of Ministry and Lard, both bands who were the soundtracks of my late teens/early 20s and whose music I can still happily listen to
Where can i get the VB Firmwire ? And how can i flash it ?

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:40 am

When did you buy it? Just very recent ones can be updated afaik.

Flamusic
Common Wiggler

Post by Flamusic » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:05 am

bemushroomed wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:40 am
When did you buy it? Just very recent ones can be updated afaik.
I dont know the exact date.
I think about its about 12- 18 months old

hewed
Common Wiggler

Post by hewed » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:09 am

I got a copy and instructions from Paul Barker at Malekko after sending a note to Malekko customer support and swapping a few e-mails as I tried different solutions.

RustedMechanism
Learning to Wiggle

Post by RustedMechanism » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:49 pm

I am just a couple days into my new Voltage Block, and I am running into a very frustrating problem. VB will be functioning as it should, until the Length control stops working. No matter how many steps are selected, VB remains playing all 16 steps (however, LEDs are acting as they should). This has happened twice now, with just powering off/back on seeming to be the only remedy. I am in the process of writing to Malekko support, but I just figured I'd mention this here as well.

Has anyone else encountered this?
“... just as early industrial capitalism moved the focus of existence from being to having, post-industrial culture has moved that focus from having to appearing.”

TTHX
Learning to Wiggle

Post by TTHX » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:34 am

RustedMechanism wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:49 pm
I am just a couple days into my new Voltage Block, and I am running into a very frustrating problem. VB will be functioning as it should, until the Length control stops working. No matter how many steps are selected, VB remains playing all 16 steps (however, LEDs are acting as they should). This has happened twice now, with just powering off/back on seeming to be the only remedy. I am in the process of writing to Malekko support, but I just figured I'd mention this here as well.

I've never encountered this problem. Are you sure you have the right channel selected first? Use the shift button to make sure you have the right channel selected first.

RustedMechanism
Learning to Wiggle

Post by RustedMechanism » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:49 am

TTHX wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:34 am
RustedMechanism wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:49 pm

I've never encountered this problem. Are you sure you have the right channel selected first? Use the shift button to make sure you have the right channel selected first.
Thank you for your response! My problem was in fact user error, only slightly embarrasssing. :doh:
“... just as early industrial capitalism moved the focus of existence from being to having, post-industrial culture has moved that focus from having to appearing.”

aintnopicnic
Learning to Wiggle

Re:

Post by aintnopicnic » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:48 am

hewed wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:07 am
- My VB is a v1.5
Hi, can you tell where it is possible to download a firmware for the Voltage Block?
Searched on the Malekko Site.
Help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a lot!

hewed
Common Wiggler

Post by hewed » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:54 am

I got a copy and instructions from Paul Barker at Malekko after sending a note to Malekko customer support and swapping a few e-mails as I tried different solutions.

aintnopicnic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by aintnopicnic » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:51 pm

hewed wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:54 am
thanks s lot for for quick answer!

jwise
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jwise » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:03 pm

So I'm confused as I thought it was common knowledge that the Voltage Block could not be updated with new firmware? Can someone please clarify?

aroom
Ultra Wiggler

Post by aroom » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:14 pm

They released a new hardware version who can handle firmware update some times ago.

mosorensen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mosorensen » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:44 pm

Is there a way to tell which version you have?

Control
Common Wiggler

Post by Control » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:52 pm

I’d be curious to know how you can tell which version I have as well. If anyone knows, please let me know. Thanks.

aintnopicnic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by aintnopicnic » Fri May 01, 2020 2:04 am

Paul from Malekko told me it has to be the one with black PCBs. At the moment, I don‘t know if there is an updated firmware available. Maybe it‘s just the ‚old’ and there‘s just the possibilty to flash it because of malfunction.
I‘ll post it, when I have the time to sort out problems
with their support.

Control
Common Wiggler

Post by Control » Fri May 01, 2020 2:22 am

Thanks for letting me know. Unfortunately my module has red PCBs.

johannes
Common Wiggler

Post by johannes » Thu May 21, 2020 6:01 pm

How fast can the vb be clocked? Anyone here experimented with clocking at audiorate, so you get a wavetable like behaviour with the vb?

zerodivide
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zerodivide » Thu May 21, 2020 10:09 pm

So the Voltage Block is a module that somehow intuitively clicked right away for me. But I'm wondering if I'm missing any non-obvious ways to use it or any weird tricks. Anyone? :)

Mabuse
Common Wiggler

Post by Mabuse » Sun May 24, 2020 1:29 pm

johannes wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 6:01 pm
How fast can the vb be clocked? Anyone here experimented with clocking at audiorate, so you get a wavetable like behaviour with the vb?

iam curious as well

Mabuse
Common Wiggler

Post by Mabuse » Sun May 24, 2020 2:00 pm

found this vid … but doesnt explain anything in detail:

Mabuse
Common Wiggler

Post by Mabuse » Mon May 25, 2020 4:21 pm

its a digital sequencer so it wont get as fast and wont sound as a analog sequencer does

Return to “Eurorack Modules”