Malekko Heavy Industries Voltage Block

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

bisquick
Wiggling with Experience

Re:

Post by bisquick » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:02 pm

edited out

mosorensen
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Malekko Heavy Industries Voltage Block

Post by mosorensen » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:56 pm

Mabuse wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:29 pm
johannes wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 6:01 pm
How fast can the vb be clocked? Anyone here experimented with clocking at audiorate, so you get a wavetable like behaviour with the vb?

iam curious as well
This is not super rigorous, but I did a quick test of this. I set track one of VB to two steps, one high and one low. I clocked VB with a square from E370 and compared the clocking square to the square from VB on a scope. Note, it takes two clock pulses to get VB to go low and then high, so VB's square ran at half the frequency of the clock.

Looking at the scope, VB looked pretty tight up to a clocking frequency around 800 Hz (VB's square at 400 Hz). Listening to the two squares, however, it is clear that VB's is pretty jittery, with a kind of bit-crunching electric sound, and I am not sure it would be useful for a wave table.

VB followed the clock up to around 2.5kHz (VB's square at 1.25kHz), sounding increasingly jittery. Above 2.5kHz VB started missing clock pulses, and in some intervals its frequency actually declined as the clock frequency increased.

My guess is that VB runs on an internal clock, and when the external clock does not line up with the internal one, this introduces jitter. I suspect it would be less of a problem with an analog sequencer. This is obviously not a problem in any normal use of VB. It will not replace my E370, though.

kvmet
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kvmet » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:32 pm

Mostly I love this module but there's one thing that I really want to be able to do that I haven't figured out yet: I'd like to be able to edit a single step while the sequence continues to run.

- In standard mode, moving the sliders is recorded in real-time so usually I wind up changing more steps than I intend.
- Pressing a step engages arp mode which will play the step over and over again while I'm editing
- in shift mode there's the same problem as standard mode that you usually wind up editing multiple steps. (Actually worse because you have to exit shift mode to stop overwriting steps)

Is there some way to disable arp so that pressing the step edits it without freezing the sequence there? Or maybe something in shift mode that I'm missing?

Fedor
Common Wiggler

Post by Fedor » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:04 am

@kvmet I'll second that question, but from my experience with vb - no, you can't disable arp mode and thus can't edit a single step with the sequence running.

Michaalhell
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Michaalhell » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:19 am

Hi, Quick question.

Can VB slave to any sequencer/Clock source which had the same buss connector? It seems like the euclidian circles has the same bus board for xpansions on The back side. This leads me to think that maybe they can sync up via the bus board...

natrixgli
Learning to Wiggle

Post by natrixgli » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:46 pm

Michaalhell wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:19 am
Hi, Quick question.

Can VB slave to any sequencer/Clock source which had the same buss connector? It seems like the euclidian circles has the same bus board for xpansions on The back side. This leads me to think that maybe they can sync up via the bus board...
According to p13 of the manual:
By default, the VOLTAGE BLOCK is set to receive clock from the busboard (clocks to Varigate 8+ and other products that output
clock to the busboard like the 4MS QCD and 4MS DLD for instance).

Dreth
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dreth » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:02 pm

I have the Varigate 8+ and Voltage Block set to slave, and have been having a random issue occur.

When I'm holding down a step button and moving a channel slider while receiving clock, it will randomly lock up and show only one step illuminated and then it no longer responds to that clock. I have to reload a preset from the vb, not the varigate, to get it working again

The only thing I can do when it's locked up like that is hold down multiple buttons to use the arpeggiator function, everything thing else is frozen.

I've been using shift mode to program the voltages as a workaround, or when it's not getting clock.

My Varigate is updated w/ the latest patch, so I don't know what the issue might be, anyone else have this happen or know a fix?

Thanks,

Polyterative
Common Wiggler

Post by Polyterative » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:14 am

Has anyone tried using the VB with a Intellijel steppy instead of the Varigate? Any setbacks to be aware of?
Rack / Music / Instagram / Module demos
► Show Spoiler

DrenselQuad
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DrenselQuad » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:06 pm

Hello,

I have been having and issue where my voltage block will respond the the clock but the steps will not run in any mode but Randon Sequence. Emailed Malekko said I need to reinstall the bootloader. Having some trouble finding the file. Anyone had this issue or where the bootloader is.

Thanks,
W

Polyterative
Common Wiggler

Post by Polyterative » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:39 am

Dreth wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:02 pm

My Varigate is updated w/ the latest patch, so I don't know what the issue might be, anyone else have this happen or know a fix?

Thanks,
Mine stops responding to clock sometimes too (with no VG8+), where did you find the firmware? Website is kinda blank...
EDIT: Ok I've been reading up, so the firmware must be requested by mail... Anyway my VB has red PCB so can't handle updates..
Rack / Music / Instagram / Module demos
► Show Spoiler

Dreth
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dreth » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:52 am

Polyterative wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:39 am
Dreth wrote:

Thanks,
Mine stops responding to clock sometimes too (with no VG8+), where did you find the firmware? Website is kinda blank...
EDIT: Ok I've been reading up, so the firmware must be requested by mail... Anyway my VB has red PCB so can't handle updates..
The firmware I mentioned was for my Varigate 8+, it's on their website. The voltage block can't be updated afaik..?

I should probably just contact them about repairs or something, but I'm very lazy and using shift to enter voltage changes doesn't make it freeze up like holding down a step button does, so it half works. :roll:

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:01 am

Dreth wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:52 am
Polyterative wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:39 am
Dreth wrote:

Thanks,
The firmware I mentioned was for my Varigate 8+, it's on their website. The voltage block can't be updated afaik..?

I should probably just contact them about repairs or something, but I'm very lazy and using shift to enter voltage changes doesn't make it freeze up like holding down a step button does, so it half works. :roll:
is this a known issue with everyone with voltage block?

also (unrelated),
it would be nice on the voltage block if it could hold the arpeggiated steps after you take your had off if you press a button like shift or save while holding down the steps, has this been suggested?

mosorensen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mosorensen » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:15 am

brandonlogic wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:01 am
is this a known issue with everyone with voltage block?

also (unrelated),
it would be nice on the voltage block if it could hold the arpeggiated steps after you take your had off if you press a button like shift or save while holding down the steps, has this been suggested?

I have one of the newer VBs (black faceplate), and I have never experienced that it stopped responding to the clock. I always run it from an external clock, and I don't have any of the Varigates. My experience is that VB is rock solid. I love this module.

Dreth
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dreth » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:33 pm

For the record, mine has a black faceplate as well, and still has the issues described above, don't think that matters much.

Works fine in CV mode, works fine with shift, freezes up randomly when holding a step and moving a slider.

Clock or no clock this happens, it just stops outputting voltages once it locks up until you reload a saved preset from the voltage block itself, and not the varigate.

If you rapidly hold down different step buttons and move sliders you can make this occur fairly quickly.

mixxalot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mixxalot » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:52 am

Well I've had mixed experiences thus far with Varigate 4+ and lack of response or tech support from Malekko does not inspire confidence to buy the voltage block nor additional modules anymore from them. I rather get a WMD Metron, Eloquencer or 512 Vector Sequencer.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/modben

My modular setup (always work in progress)
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1391380

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:40 pm

Thanks guys.
This makes me a little hesitant on picking one up, seeing people’s mixed/inconsistent experiences.
The main thing that recently got me interested in this again was seeing it’s ability to arpeggiate between held down steps and then return to the sequence when letting your hands off.
I could see this being really useful and hands on for manipulating sequences.
Is there any other sequencer modules that has this functionality?

tenshun
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tenshun » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:06 am

mixxalot wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:52 am
Well I've had mixed experiences thus far with Varigate 4+ and lack of response or tech support from Malekko does not inspire confidence to buy the voltage block nor additional modules anymore from them. I rather get a WMD Metron, Eloquencer or 512 Vector Sequencer.
Same problem with Malekko as well. i contacted them way back about a messed up slider on a old Varigate 4 to see if they could replace it. They said it would cost like $200 ish to replace!!

i ended up finding some sliders for way cheaper from mouser and fixing it myself.

After that i never showed them any business again.

natrixgli
Learning to Wiggle

Post by natrixgli » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:54 am

FYI saving a preset seems to unfreeze VB too. This could be less disruptive / destructive if you are working on an unsaved pattern.

Despite the occasional freeze I still really enjoy the VB and haven't found a good substitute. The Tetrapad/Tete is pretty close but 8hp more.

mixxalot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mixxalot » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:35 pm

Has anyone here had any luck actually speaking in person with a Malekko support person? I am wondering if their website is having technical issues and could be the reason for no response.
My music:

d_imil
Common Wiggler

Post by d_imil » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:44 pm

mixxalot wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:35 pm
Has anyone here had any luck actually speaking in person with a Malekko support person? I am wondering if their website is having technical issues and could be the reason for no response.
Heh I haven't ever had luck with their Contact form on the site. I think I've submitted a question through there 2 or 3 times over the past year and never got a response. Perhaps silly on my part to keep trying after the first one.

mixxalot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mixxalot » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:23 pm

Sad. Every other modular company including Doepfer, Make Noise, Intellijel and Noise Engineering have always responded to my questions and been very helpful. I love my Borg filter and Richter Anti-oscillator but my issues with Varigate 4+ and Quad Envelope have given me pause to buy anything else from them when better customer service exists for other Eurorack companies that have more compelling modules.
My music:

Fedor
Common Wiggler

Post by Fedor » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:40 pm

Dunno, not only they were responsive to my messages about burned modules, they fixed them for free. I've once received a non-malekko module with the cable already connected to it, but the connector of that cable was installed in reverse. I haven't figured out what was wrong quick enough, so my VB and VG 4+ stopped working. They both were still under warranty, but this wasn't exactly a warranty case, even if it wasn't my fault. Yet they chose to help me like that.

ProgRocket
Common Wiggler

Post by ProgRocket » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:13 pm

and haven't found a good substitute.
Perhaps a PolyEnd Preset fits the bill? Does anyone have experience with both?

BlinkyLights
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BlinkyLights » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:20 pm

fwiw, two attempts to reach Malekko via their own Contact Us form in the last six months also went completely unanswered.

Love my VB, but their support sucks donkey dong.

BingMachine
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BingMachine » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:41 am

Please enlighten me someone. How does the arp mode work? Can you select which sequence(s) will be controlled? How does it otherwise work if you have sequences of different lengths and with different clock divisions?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”