Rossum Electro-Music Morpheus Filter

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

buyingitwontmakeucool
Learning to Wiggle

Post by buyingitwontmakeucool » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:37 pm

Buttons ARE toys wrote:
dubonaire wrote:
Buttons ARE toys wrote:I'm confused about the process of creating your own filter cubes. The manual makes it seem like all you can really do is take an existing cube and edit its gain, distortion, and how CV will effect its morph, frequency, and transform settings. Is that the case? Or can you start with a blank cube and create your own frequency responses, adding your own filters at the frequency points you want, with their individual levels, bandwidths, etc?
I've not been able to think of a cube that the 289 preset cubes don't already cover. But that might just be poor imagination on my part.
Well what I was hoping to do with the module is drawing filter shapes based on frequency response plots of different instruments and objects, and getting to decide how those responses get morphed and transformed. So not so much imagining my own filters as getting the thing to imitate various real world objects and then distort them. Editing the existing presets with limited control over reshaping their frequency responses is less exciting to me. That's not to say the filter doesn't look great as it is, btw.
Maybe Rossum could give you the software that the designers used to make the cubes. Then they could add yours in an update :)

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:37 pm

What I aim to do is find instrument EQs I want and send them to Rossum. I think they're planning to expand the line up.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

Bob Borries
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bob Borries » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:10 pm

Paranormal Patroler wrote:What I aim to do is find instrument EQs I want and send them to Rossum. I think they're planning to expand the line up.
Having Instrument Impulse Response EQ resonant profiles would be a great update. I would imagine Classical Guitar Body, Violin to Contra Bass Bodies, Banjo, Trumpet, Clarinet, Sax, Drum Tom, Wood, Metal, Galss, etc, then being able to morph these would be awesome. A lot of wavetable and physically molded modules need some kind of resonant body to make them feel more organic.

Dogma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dogma » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:48 pm

Bob Borries wrote:
Paranormal Patroler wrote:What I aim to do is find instrument EQs I want and send them to Rossum. I think they're planning to expand the line up.
Having Instrument Impulse Response EQ resonant profiles would be a great update. I would imagine Classical Guitar Body, Violin to Contra Bass Bodies, Banjo, Trumpet, Clarinet, Sax, Drum Tom, Wood, Metal, Galss, etc, then being able to morph these would be awesome. A lot of wavetable and physically molded modules need some kind of resonant body to make them feel more organic.
It’s kind of what the cubes are doing - have you read the manual? It’s really great and explains it very well
And making your own cubes is never gonna be a user thing I wouldn’t think - so complicated!
look up!

silkynight
Common Wiggler

Post by silkynight » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:09 pm

See I do read the manual! Type-o spotted. wonderful manual though for an amazing filter.

[/img]

Marco Alpert
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Marco Alpert » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:20 pm

silkynight wrote:See I do read the manual! Type-o spotted. wonderful manual though for an amazing filter.]
Hey, thanks for catching that. I'll get it updated on the next rev.
Marketing Guy at Rossum Electro-Music

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:45 pm

Oh, I didn't realise the thread is still being watched. There are a few mistakes in the manual, and some parts which seem wrong (info that seems to be relevant to Frequency are under Morph) but might be correct.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

silkynight
Common Wiggler

Post by silkynight » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:38 am

little design mishaps.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:29 am

silkynight wrote:little design mishaps.

This bothers you? LOL. A decent person would just send a message to the company pointing out a minor formatting mistake.

silkynight
Common Wiggler

Post by silkynight » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:41 am

Marco Alpert wrote:
silkynight wrote:See I do read the manual! Type-o spotted. wonderful manual though for an amazing filter.]
Hey Marco , what would be the best way to point out mistakes in the manual ?

Marco Alpert
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Marco Alpert » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:38 pm

silkynight wrote:
Marco Alpert wrote:
Hey Marco , what would be the best way to point out mistakes in the manual ?
Probably best to use the "Contact Us" form on our website.
Marketing Guy at Rossum Electro-Music

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:23 am

boop boop. first quick patch with Rings into Morpheus -

[video][/video]

iiiiiiii LIKE it. it's super fun with the extreme settings, but mannnnnn there's some neat subtle stuff too.
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

stickman
Common Wiggler

Re: Rossum Electro-Music Morpheus Filter

Post by stickman » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:34 pm

Can anyone advise if the Morpheus is fussy about low input levels? (Line level)

Getting one I'm intending to use on a mixer bus so interested to know :)

ege.gonul
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ege.gonul » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:35 am

Can someone make a video and process jungle dnb sound through this? There is very few drum sound demo, and they all sound plasticky and thin compared to EMU E4 or E6400.

advrsry
Learning to Wiggle

Post by advrsry » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:57 am

I'm interested in the same thing

sokoleski
Learning to Wiggle

Re:

Post by sokoleski » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:00 pm

Now This is my only wish on the morpheus wishlist !

The ability to offset (dosen't have to be modulateable ) L & R filter cutoff ,
for some glorious stereo movement/expansion. These filters would excel to wonderful domains.

Please Rossum...please :hail:

RMNC wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:21 pm
If it was possible to eschew stereo and run two separate mono cube instances on R and L then we could gain all the numerous advantages of a multimode filter and sidestep null by simply crossfading. Assimil8or probably receives the most development attention, but it seems like if the two Morpheus channels are discrete for stereo, the DSP could just as well be executing two different simultaneous cubes that we could then blend or pan, feedback, etc. Some internal pipes to bypass AD/DA for achieving series or parallel operation once this is in place would also be really nice.

buyingitwontmakeucool
Learning to Wiggle

Post by buyingitwontmakeucool » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:52 pm

sokoleski wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:00 pm
Now This is my only wish on the morpheus wishlist !

The ability to offset (dosen't have to be modulateable ) L & R filter cutoff ,
for some glorious stereo movement/expansion. These filters would excel to wonderful domains.

Please Rossum...please :hail:
You're really asking for their hardware to calculate two separate interpolations of the cubes at any given time, as opposed to applying the exact same interpolation to two audio streams, which is what is done now. Perhaps that's the hardware challenge?

wavejockey
Common Wiggler

Post by wavejockey » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:19 am

last week, i processed DMX samples from the Assimil8tor through the morph but hadn't any good feeling/sound from the first 40/50 cubes orso
(so i 'reverted' to a proven scenario, processing the drums with SSM2044, doepfer A105)

i think HiPass filters are more in the last half of the cubes so have to give these a try

-i have EMU E4 too, but there's no way you can process -real time- through the filters there, not even with an RFX card fitted
so you're bound to sampling and resampling, which is another process altogether

ege.gonul
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ege.gonul » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:43 pm

SSM2044 is, as you said, is a proven scenario. I really can't understand how SSF Dipole filters (2044) sound so similar to Akai S900 filter sweeps. My theory is when Akai was developing their first samplers, and they wanted to have the punch of SP1200 (2044 again), so they based their filter design (analog or digital) to something similar to that. Now with SSF Dipole / Doepfer A105 based filter designs, it sounds like Akai. But in reality, it is like a chicken and egg question.

I just wanted something aggro for filters like an in/out fashion as an effect, but Morpheus is not the one for this I guess. Morpheus demos sound more like comb resonator than a filter, and filter sweep has a straight digital feeling, shame. For me, 2044 will always stay at the end of drums channels (except kick coz Sallen Key MS10-20 filter resonances fuse with low frequency sounds so good ). I didn't know you just can't modulate E4 filters in real-time and you have to sample each time for different sweeps. That's not good, and I now feel bad about I insisted on a close friend for buying the E4xt so much that he bought one eventually. But anyway he has 800hp mostly custom-designed DIY Eurorack, and if he can handle that, he sure can handle EMU.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”