Rossum Electro-Music Morpheus Filter

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:06 am

@2disbetter It has two independent audio paths, this since dist and volume can be set independently.

In general anything is possible with software, as long as it has the CPU (/GPU/ memory bandwidth etc) power to do it, so yeah ;)

Bob Borries
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bob Borries » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:44 am

bemushroomed wrote:@2disbetter It has two independent audio paths, this since dist and volume can be set independently.

In general anything is possible with software, as long as it has the CPU (/GPU/ memory bandwidth etc) power to do it, so yeah ;)
I think what people are asking for is making one parameter (frequency) separate for left and right, not a different filter model for each side. I don't know if the hardware has the power to do this, it seems simple, but then again I'm not a digital genius like Mr. Rossum.

RGB
Common Wiggler

Post by RGB » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:52 pm

Does anyone know if you can run video rate signals into the inputs on the Morpheus?

Marco Alpert
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Marco Alpert » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:33 pm

RGB wrote:Does anyone know if you can run video rate signals into the inputs on the Morpheus?
Dave says, "Morpheus is an audio processor; it filters its audio inputs with a bandwidth slightly above 20kHz. The CV inputs are not anti-aliased, so they may respond in a noise-like manner with audio band aliases of signals up to about 1MHz."
Marketing Guy at Rossum Electro-Music

grex
Common Wiggler

Post by grex » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:35 pm

is there a way to reset the morpheus back to its default factory settings ?

goldi
Common Wiggler

Post by goldi » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:14 pm

Well hell if I didn't I think this was a stereo filter. I was wondering why nothing sounded remotely stereo :doh:

Villarceau
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Villarceau » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:16 pm

Edit: maybe misunderstood so going back to reading mode.
Last edited by Villarceau on Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:46 pm

tross
Common Wiggler

Post by tross » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:59 pm

bemushroomed wrote:what's complicated about it? i think it's as easy as any analog filter i've used, probably even easier since there's also the advantage of having presets, something analog filters obviously cant do.
When you have 256 filters, that is complicated for me. :hihi:

L.C.O.
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by L.C.O. » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:33 pm

I have this amazing beast for sale:

Minty Mint Morpheus!

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

SunSpots
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SunSpots » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:38 am

So far so good withnyou guys and this filter? Anyone thinking about selling it off? Seems to be really rare to find it used. I've been going full digital and this filter is obviously very important... anyone losing their love for it? If so what's the wear down over time?
SunSpots

Dogma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dogma » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:21 am

that manual is incredible
look up!

SunSpots
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SunSpots » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:22 am

Dogma wrote:that manual is incredible
Man I freaking want this module. I found it on sale brand new $425 but the freaking store is also going to charge me 10% for California taxes so then it's $469 which is not as fun as $425... So I'm stalling again
SunSpots

SunSpots
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SunSpots » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:29 am

SunSpots wrote:
Dogma wrote:that manual is incredible
Man I freaking want this module. I found it on sale brand new $425 but the freaking store is also going to charge me 10% for California taxes so then it's $469 which is not as fun as $425... So I'm stalling again
Omg just bought the only used one in the USA off modular grid. Keep forgetting they have a market. Sweeeet :bananaguitar:
SunSpots

SunSpots
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SunSpots » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:51 pm

K wanted to fanboy. Totally have to gain stage then this filter begins behaving very beautifully. Without gain staging it's kind of a poppy shity mess. But with simple gain staging and turning down amplitude which is easily accessible in the menu this module will never ever leave my cold dead hands. It's beautiful all over everything. Obviously you have to pick the right filter for the right sound but everybody should know that by now. You don't low pass filter some hi. Just like you wouldn't use certain multi pool filters on other sounds. I have no doubt this will be an absolutely every patch going forward there's no way I would ever leave it out. Obviously I'm kind of gushing with it right now but I can see there is no way I would ever leave it out of a patch. If you're considering getting one just learn to gain stage and this thing has no problems and is beautiful
SunSpots

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:08 pm

Yes gain staging for sure... gets a little tricky with sequences of filters. I was recently envisioning a ‘mode’ that could be implemented that would just deactivate all boosting of EQs and settle everything with the max at 0 and never go over. This way you could perform more reliably with the module not having to worry about sudden drastic boost of frequency content.

Midiot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Midiot » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:06 pm

Went to audition the Rossum Evolution. Liked it a lot.
Next to it was the Morpheus.

Damn you Morpheus !!
Bought it.
First 10 minutes at home, I knew I spent good money.
Best money spent since the recent E352.
Can't wait to use them together.

I used to have an old EMU Emulator IIIX (with scsi drives)- 1993.... and some other EMU racks modules.
If I could have any of them back, would be the EMU B3, and the Classic Keys.

The Evolution filter is still on my list, for sure.
"We'll be living in all the oceans now."
(type of music I make.... drone atmospheres, deep late-night beats.)

Trooper Starship
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Trooper Starship » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:10 am

They both are very good, but if i am honestly, the Evolution can be replaced for 80% from the Morpheus, but this 20% are mmmhhh....so i will keep both

Midiot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Midiot » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:57 pm

The Morpheus manual is long....70+ pages.

What I've done with other large PDF's...is to have them printed and bound.
It's not that pricey.
Here is an example of the process.......(under $40)
(I believe my printed and bound Elektron A4 manual cost me $30)
And it's all ordered on-line....pick-up in 2 days or less.

Image[/img]

BlackDoors
Common Wiggler

Post by BlackDoors » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:43 pm

Trooper Starship wrote:They both are very good, but if i am honestly, the Evolution can be replaced for 80% from the Morpheus, but this 20% are mmmhhh....so i will keep both
I have both here too. Morpheus is kind of unique. But I got Evolution afterwards on an impulse buy (despite having other analogue filters) and have to say it is an absolutely amazing analogue filter, so flexible, adaptable, and liquid.

Midiot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Midiot » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:46 pm

You'd be (are) surprised, how reading printed manuals away from the PC.... during sht'ng time......... is a great revelation.

Dogma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dogma » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:23 pm

goldi wrote:Well hell if I didn't I think this was a stereo filter. I was wondering why nothing sounded remotely stereo :doh:
Zplane stereo filter - whatcha talking about?

So I'm thinking this could get reeealy funky - any demos of that about?:)
look up!

Marco Alpert
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Marco Alpert » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:10 am

Dogma wrote:
goldi wrote:Well hell if I didn't I think this was a stereo filter. I was wondering why nothing sounded remotely stereo :doh:
Zplane stereo filter - whatcha talking about?

So I'm thinking this could get reeealy funky - any demos of that about?:)
In order for the output to sound stereo, the input needs to be stereo. Try putting a stereo mix into it. Or a stereo drum loop.
Marketing Guy at Rossum Electro-Music

fylthymcnasty
Learning to Wiggle

Post by fylthymcnasty » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:59 pm

Marco Alpert wrote:
RichyHo wrote:A global setting to morph directly between two filters without 'going dry' would be a winner. Possible?
Unfortunately not. Two main reasons:

1. The realtime morphing between the 8 pairs of 14-pole filters pretty much maxes out Morpheus's processing power. Direct morphing between two filter presets would double the required processing power and require a different (substantially more expensive) class of processor.

2. We put a tremendous amount of effort into configuring the filters so that each filter's available morphs are generally well behaved (as far as suddenly putting out signals that will send your speaker cones screaming across your studio). Even if we had the processor power, there is no way we could evaluate every combination of filter-to-filter morphing to ensure that they weren't dangerous.
Just read this entire thread because I didn't want to raise something already raised, and here it is. Glad I'm not alone in this frustration. For those not sure what effect this has on the sound, refer to DivKid video at around 19:00 (plugging into INC) where stepping through filter sequence can be heard at each step as the filter curve returns to null before moving to the next filter, which esentially brings back all the high (or low) frequency content previously filtered out.

[video][/video]

I would guess that this is undesireable for any application as it means the character of the filters is overshadowed by the regular, sequenced return of the full spectrum audio - which makes it sound more like a gate effect.

So, are there any effective workarounds for this? It was mentioned that true morphing between filters was unobtainable due to processor limitations - are there any other software reprogramming tricks that Dave and his team could apply to make it a more useful feature? Hope there's some brainstorming going on! As it stands I think this is a limitation of filter sequencing, one which needs to be overcome to make it a truely useable feature.

JC14
Common Wiggler

Post by JC14 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:03 am

Agreed. Hope there is a workaround or anything like that... This makes the sequencer pretty much unusable (for me). Unfortunately.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”