Rossum Electro-Music Morpheus Filter

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

tiger001
Common Wiggler

Post by tiger001 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:22 am

take your time ; since there are so many filter algoritms, who do sometimes drastical different things to your sound, patch in 3 modifiers who move constant (a LFO is a primary source) so you can hear what all movement/settings do to your sound (and you don't have to turn the knobs all the time)
jmax313 wrote:
same 8-) 8-)

curious if anyone has good beginner advice tips ?

emergingstates
Learning to Wiggle

Post by emergingstates » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:10 am

Odd question I know, but what preset closely resembles a 303 filter?

I know this isn’t the right tool for the job but would love some advice.

Thanks.

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:53 am

emergingstates wrote:Odd question I know, but what preset closely resembles a 303 filter?

I know this isn’t the right tool for the job but would love some advice.

Thanks.
Well, the 3 pole -18db/oct LPF on the Evolution is very close. I haven't checked all the programs in the Morpheus, but I'd look for a -18db/oct resonant LPF preset.

emergingstates
Learning to Wiggle

Post by emergingstates » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:41 am

thanks

tiger001
Common Wiggler

Post by tiger001 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:13 pm

i had some filters on the morpheus who were sounding alright when i sent my TB03 through it (will write down next time)
i did the same with the evolution, & although it definitely brings in analog charm & power, it doesn't sound like a TB filter
you know it should look like this (during accent) & i'm not sure this is feasible with just one evolution

peripatitis

Post by peripatitis » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:37 am

So I've been wondering, has anyone used the Morpheus inside a feedback loop, lets say from a delay line or a reverb and more generally how does it handles being driven hard, does it distort? clip? Is there some leeway there to be more experimental?

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:17 am

peripatitis wrote:So I've been wondering, has anyone used the Morpheus inside a feedback loop, lets say from a delay line or a reverb and more generally how does it handles being driven hard, does it distort? clip? Is there some leeway there to be more experimental?
The Morpheus definitely likes to distort. I keep a set of attenuators in the audio patch to attenuate the audio signal going into my Morpheus to control UNWANTED distortion, etc. The Morpheus also is designed to produced desirable distortion.

peripatitis

Post by peripatitis » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:47 am

mritenburg wrote:
peripatitis wrote:So I've been wondering, has anyone used the Morpheus inside a feedback loop, lets say from a delay line or a reverb and more generally how does it handles being driven hard, does it distort? clip? Is there some leeway there to be more experimental?
The Morpheus definitely likes to distort. I keep a set of attenuators in the audio patch to attenuate the audio signal going into my Morpheus to control UNWANTED distortion, etc. The Morpheus also is designed to produced desirable distortion.
Thanks, I generally have a good idea about the filter types because I had an ultra proteus and a morpheus for many years in the past. Obviously you couldn't "stress" them in that setting beyond their tolerances, which is why I was wondering how this would work in the feedback paths.
They do sound a lot better but also many of these filter types I can recognise from that era :)

MoogCloud
Common Wiggler

Post by MoogCloud » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:57 am

+1
Yes the Morpheus distorts well, and gives you bright orange/red visual feedback when the distortion is occurring.

As stated above, place your modulation and watch the values change (Batumi LFO, or Sloths). It’s a lovely piece of kit.
:guinness:
Mother 96, GRP R24, and 18U of EuroMagic.
Modular Grid
My SoundCloud

ronaldroy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ronaldroy » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:20 pm

I'm considering one of these - are there any murmurings of a V2 looming? Before I take the plunge on an expensive (for me) piece of kit.

tiger001
Common Wiggler

Post by tiger001 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:37 am

i don't think there is a V2 planned but i know Rossum is thinking about extending the current filterset
this weekend i had a session with Rossum Evolution & Morpheus to manipulate/mutate some samples from MPC X and besides the digital (filter) goodies, every other filter had something to bring on the table and was worth of pursuing/sampling

muffdiver
Common Wiggler

Post by muffdiver » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:30 pm

Would be great to see some more 'singable' filter models as well. I love the glasses textured percussion I get when pinging some of the filter sets.
---,---,---,---,---,---,---,---,---,---,---,---,---,---,---,---,

---`---`---`---`---`---`---`---`---`---`---`---`---`---`

ronaldroy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ronaldroy » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:39 pm

How does the Morpheus respond to audio rate modulation? Anyone into that?

ronaldroy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ronaldroy » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:44 pm

The SOS review wasn't too positive in that regard but haven't seen mention of it elsewhere much.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:53 am

ronaldroy wrote:How does the Morpheus respond to audio rate modulation? Anyone into that?
I don't think that is really what this filter is about. The filter is about interpolating between the 8 filters at the points of the cube.

ronaldroy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ronaldroy » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:14 am

OK, seems like I will have to try it out myself.

Buttons ARE toys
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Buttons ARE toys » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:55 am

Long-time owners, what are your thoughts on this module after having it for a year or two?

I'm mainly interested in using it for physical modeling, especially as a body resonator since it seems like it would be easy enough to model an instrument's EQ response with it and then morph them into weird shapes. So if anyone has put it to work in similar patches I'd love to heard your thoughts on how it performs.

Dogma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dogma » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:52 pm

I love it a lot. I initially,like all the rossum stuff, stuck to the presets - wrong!
There’s so much there to alter any patch, it has horrible distortion that seems directly related to large, sudden amplitude changes but you can knock some dbs off the distortion settings or disable it altogether, alternatively it has the best digital distortion I’ve heard too so it’s not to be ignored :)

It does Normalish filtering pretty well - it’s at its best moving through through cubes with languid modulation, it loves nearly all audio material - sounds great on nearly any source and can do audiorate modulation well
Last edited by Dogma on Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
look up!

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:45 pm

Buttons ARE toys wrote:Long-time owners, what are your thoughts on this module after having it for a year or two?

I'm mainly interested in using it for physical modeling, especially as a body resonator since it seems like it would be easy enough to model an instrument's EQ response with it and then morph them into weird shapes. So if anyone has put it to work in similar patches I'd love to heard your thoughts on how it performs.
I haven't bought one yet but I'm buying one in a few weeks for the very same reason you are. This module was obviously made for it. It's perfect for physical modeling of EQ curves of instrument bodies. With three dimensions to work with (I'm thinking frequency, velocity, pressure/breath) and curves based on instruments already available as cubes, it's rather obvious what the concept was. Can't wait.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

tiger001
Common Wiggler

Post by tiger001 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:25 am

then this method, is that hit & miss?

would you send like a viola or a tabla through it & search for the right filter/response (and then modulate it) ?

because with so many cubes it is difficult to find the one that would match your (EQ) source material...

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:08 am

I don't think it's hard to go through the cubes, especially because of the graphic frequency plot.

As I mentioned in another thread recently, at least for me the trick to using this is subtlely dialing in the three dimensions' attenuverters and related CV for each cube. Of course, you can make and save your own cubes.

I tend to used it when I want far out filtering, not conventional filtering. Mainly using it for hauntological samples at the moment.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:43 am

tiger001 wrote:then this method, is that hit & miss?

would you send like a viola or a tabla through it & search for the right filter/response (and then modulate it) ?

because with so many cubes it is difficult to find the one that would match your (EQ) source material...
Some are already named appropriately. Perusing the manual I saw a few that seemed appropriate for violins, pianos, etc. Depending on the instrument you want to model modulation may be unnecessary. For instance, I don't think changing the shape of a violin's body is part of the "normal" way of playing, contrary to the way a trombone essentially changes length to change the pitch and tone. I would change the pitch of a violin's EQ if I wanted to use it for a viola or a cello. Similarly, some subtle modulation, as dubonaire said, on some aspect of the filter might be super nice when more pressure is applied on the bow.

I presume there needs to be some knowledge on the modeling taking place, so some idea of what type of EQ curve one is looking for. That being said I find that the manual is quite descriptive. And then, of course, nothing can win over testing some EQs to see what is available, what works, and what doesn't.

I stumbled upon this filter while looking for solutions for body filtering, and the way I see it it's rather obvious that the design is perfect for such usage. As others have pointed out, this is way too powerful to be "wasted" as a common filter. Truth be told, "common" filters can be perceived as body filters, depending on the use case.

In modular, you can perceive the same functionality under a different light. The most typical change in point of view would be when changing the method of synthesis. The more I delve into physical modeling, the more I reconceptualize how I look at my modules. But I digress.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

Buttons ARE toys
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Buttons ARE toys » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:00 am

I'm confused about the process of creating your own filter cubes. The manual makes it seem like all you can really do is take an existing cube and edit its gain, distortion, and how CV will effect its morph, frequency, and transform settings. Is that the case? Or can you start with a blank cube and create your own frequency responses, adding your own filters at the frequency points you want, with their individual levels, bandwidths, etc?

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:47 am

Buttons ARE toys wrote:I'm confused about the process of creating your own filter cubes. The manual makes it seem like all you can really do is take an existing cube and edit its gain, distortion, and how CV will effect its morph, frequency, and transform settings. Is that the case? Or can you start with a blank cube and create your own frequency responses, adding your own filters at the frequency points you want, with their individual levels, bandwidths, etc?
I've not been able to think of a cube that the 289 preset cubes don't already cover. But that might just be poor imagination on my part.

Buttons ARE toys
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Buttons ARE toys » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:50 am

dubonaire wrote:
Buttons ARE toys wrote:I'm confused about the process of creating your own filter cubes. The manual makes it seem like all you can really do is take an existing cube and edit its gain, distortion, and how CV will effect its morph, frequency, and transform settings. Is that the case? Or can you start with a blank cube and create your own frequency responses, adding your own filters at the frequency points you want, with their individual levels, bandwidths, etc?
I've not been able to think of a cube that the 289 preset cubes don't already cover. But that might just be poor imagination on my part.
Well what I was hoping to do with the module is drawing filter shapes based on frequency response plots of different instruments and objects, and getting to decide how those responses get morphed and transformed. So not so much imagining my own filters as getting the thing to imitate various real world objects and then distort them. Editing the existing presets with limited control over reshaping their frequency responses is less exciting to me. That's not to say the filter doesn't look great as it is, btw.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”