TipTop ONE thread

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

continuum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by continuum » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:50 am

Several features like modulation of the start point and reverse playback did not meet our standards for performance.

SD cards are terrible at seeking* and having the sample trigger with totally random delays kind of defeated the entire purpose of the module.

* and everything else you would want from mass storage, but at least they are very tiny!
Tiptop Audio R&D
www.tiptopaudio.com/

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:09 pm

L.C.O. wrote:
cptnal wrote:Been having a ball using Disting for sample playback, so I'm considering a dedicated sample player. And at 4hp the One is a no-brainer.

However... I can't find anything in the manual or elsewhere that tells me whether you can control the starting position in the sample. That is, the suggestion is that it always plays from the beginning of the file.

Is that the case or am I missing something? I'm afraid this could be a deal-breaker... :waah:
That is the case.
One shot, always from the beginning of file.
Many thanks, friend. You've saved me a lot of disappointment and not a little :75:

:guinness:
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:
Sounds: SoundCloud , Freesound
Racks: Big Case, Top Row, Funboat, Tinicase

henrry
Common Wiggler

File Select CV mode with Stillson Hammer mk2

Post by henrry » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:25 pm

Hello.

Has anybody tried to use the File Select CV mode on the ONE with the Stillson Hammer mk2?
I've tried this mode with the Music Thing Modular RAdio Music, but don't get the expected result: the sample played is set each step according to the CV value of the previous step...

That's why I was considering buying a ONE. But maybe as Tiptop states in their manual, some sequencers have unproperly synced Gate and CV outs... So I d like to be shure if the problem actually comes from the Radio Music and not the Stillson H befor I do get myself the ONE.

Could anyone share his/her experience?
Thanx

continuum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: File Select CV mode with Stillson Hammer mk2

Post by continuum » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:57 pm

henrry wrote:Hello.

Has anybody tried to use the File Select CV mode on the ONE with the Stillson Hammer mk2?
I've tried this mode with the Music Thing Modular RAdio Music, but don't get the expected result: the sample played is set each step according to the CV value of the previous step...

That's why I was considering buying a ONE. But maybe as Tiptop states in their manual, some sequencers have unproperly synced Gate and CV outs... So I d like to be shure if the problem actually comes from the Radio Music and not the Stillson H befor I do get myself the ONE.

Thanx
ONE has a configurable delay time to help compensate for these sync issues. I recall someone (Joseph Fraioli ?) tested the delay quite a bit with the Hammer and it did work properly.

Info on this option seems to have gotten dropped from the latest manual update, but that will be corrected.

Example config.txt should read:
# Example config.txt for ONE
Sequence
Quantize
Short
#
# Anything after this is ignored
#
# format:
# first line is comment
# second line is Trigger type - Trigger, Gate, Loop, Fade, Sequence
# third line is CV type - Select File, Quantize, Free
# fourth line is the CV delay - Short, Medium, Long
# parameters must have capital first letter!
Tiptop Audio R&D
www.tiptopaudio.com/

Yloopz
Common Wiggler

Post by Yloopz » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:26 am

First of all, I didn't read the entire thread, so sorry if it is asked before.

I want a simple small sample player. I want to select the samples manually. Is that doable? Like say... I've got 6 samples in, can I select them easily with the sample select encoder and trigger them manually with the push button? I can understand that if you have 32 samples in that it is difficult to select them manually but with 6?
My imagination is my inspiration...
Instagram: @jungleofwires

continuum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by continuum » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:50 am

Yloopz wrote:First of all, I didn't read the entire thread, so sorry if it is asked before.

I want a simple small sample player. I want to select the samples manually. Is that doable? Like say... I've got 6 samples in, can I select them easily with the sample select encoder and trigger them manually with the push button? I can understand that if you have 32 samples in that it is difficult to select them manually but with 6?
The manual file selection uses an encoder with clicks for each step so you just need to keep track of which sample is selected and how many clicks to move to go to the one you want.
Tiptop Audio R&D
www.tiptopaudio.com/

Yloopz
Common Wiggler

Post by Yloopz » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:13 am

continuum wrote:
Yloopz wrote:First of all, I didn't read the entire thread, so sorry if it is asked before.

The manual file selection uses an encoder with clicks for each step so you just need to keep track of which sample is selected and how many clicks to move to go to the one you want.
Ah thanks very much, thats just what I was hoping for, great! Just ordered one! Nice, for just 4hp :nana:
My imagination is my inspiration...
Instagram: @jungleofwires

henrry
Common Wiggler

Re: File Select CV mode with Stillson Hammer mk2

Post by henrry » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:56 am

continuum wrote:
henrry wrote:Hello.

Thanx

ONE has a configurable delay time to help compensate for these sync issues. I recall someone (Joseph Fraioli ?) tested the delay quite a bit with the Hammer and it did work properly.

Info on this option seems to have gotten dropped from the latest manual update, but that will be corrected.

Example config.txt should read:
# Example config.txt for ONE
Sequence
Quantize
Short
#
# Anything after this is ignored
#
# format:
# first line is comment
# second line is Trigger type - Trigger, Gate, Loop, Fade, Sequence
# third line is CV type - Select File, Quantize, Free
# fourth line is the CV delay - Short, Medium, Long
# parameters must have capital first letter!
Big thanx for this info!!

gummyboy
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gummyboy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:46 am

continuum wrote:Remove the _ from the file names and just use A-Z and 0-9 in the names.
The factory set of VCTRS sounds have _ in the name from factory.
So I can use _ for just name but I can't use _ to use the function of playlist. Am I right?

ibzieg
Common Wiggler

Post by ibzieg » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:15 pm

Can one hot-swap the SD card while the module is powered on?

zvukoprocessor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zvukoprocessor » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:28 pm

ibzieg wrote:Can one hot-swap the SD card while the module is powered on?
Yes

kites
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Reading VCTRS files on my Mac

Post by kites » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:36 am

Outtatune wrote:
risome wrote:
pretendingtosee wrote:Just got a Tip Top One for my birthday :banana: !!!!
I'm having a great time with it but I have a question ( I saw other people on this thread asking the same but it didn't get answered):

How can I preview the VCTRS files on my mac? It doesn't work in preview or by exporting raw file into Audacity, I'd love to include some of these samples on a card with my own samples but this makes it quite hard....

Anyone had any luck?
1. Nope copied protected
2.you can add you own files to the card in the wav format :miley:
Pretty sure I did a batch process on the VCTRS files to load a few of them into my Pico Drums and/or into Live without any issues. I can preview the lot in Live. Alternatively, the guy who made VCTRS has some nice free downloadable sample packs on his website: http://glitchmachines.com/.
You can import the original VCTR Files with Audacity (OS X) individually:

File >import> raw data

Then you choose import encoding settings. My question is, what settings do we go by as to preserve the orignal specs of each individual file. And, what is Byte order?

There isn’t much audio info when you choose Get Info in OS X. Thoughts for preserving them?

subdo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by subdo » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:23 pm

I would just save the original copies of the VCTR wavs somewhere. ONE is a bit picky about the way the wavs are formatted and supposedly there was some optimization in the way the tiptop wavs are encoded.

Endian is the direction the raw sound (or any data) is saved to the file. In other words does it start at the end or beginning of the file. I believe all wav files (or at least RIFF wavs which are most common) are little endian.

kites
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kites » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:13 pm

subdo wrote:I would just save the original copies of the VCTR wavs somewhere. ONE is a bit picky about the way the wavs are formatted and supposedly there was some optimization in the way the tiptop wavs are encoded.

Endian is the direction the raw sound (or any data) is saved to the file. In other words does it start at the end or beginning of the file. I believe all wav files (or at least RIFF wavs which are most common) are little endian.
Yeah I backed up the VCTR files too, and I don’t mean to export them back out onto the card again, but no one is able to play the files back in order to specify which ones they want to delete or not.

And when we import the raw data files shouldn’t we have the propper settings in order to audition them as they originally were? I guess it’s not too big a deal because you can play with the audacity track’s sample bit rate after the math.

Couldn’t figure out how to import them in a batch though. :despair:8

I bought the Hybrid and Sbstrt cards to ease the pain of making my own Samples too...

kites
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kites » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:16 am

Damn, just received two more Glitchmachines cards... l’ll have to import over 500 Samples one by one into Audacity.

Any one find a batch app on OS X?

tetsutestu
Common Wiggler

Post by tetsutestu » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:55 am

I have an opportunity to pick up a One at a sweet price and I was wondering whether it works as a straight audio player (ie. not for drum samples, which I'm not interested in). Are you able to upload long audio files and have them play through?
Thanks!

windsongstudio
Common Wiggler

Post by windsongstudio » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:37 pm

Yes it does. I have one card filled with lengthy spoken word samples (snippets of famous speeches, fragments of poetry, news briefs, etc) and another with chunks of atmospheric found sounds (the beach, forest, city noises, restaurant ambience, etc.) that I randomly trigger to add an interesting sound layer to a patch during some sessions. The key for me is to not overdue it and, in some cases, use a mutable mixer or VCA w/envelope to bring the sounds in and out.

I’ve also put a chord progression sample card in the One that I can trigger on beat and jam to as I’m building up song ideas.

Good luck and have fun with your music!

tetsutestu
Common Wiggler

Post by tetsutestu » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:15 pm

Sweet! Thanks for the heads up~~ It sounds like it has exactly what I'm looking for.
windsongstudio wrote:Yes it does. I have one card filled with lengthy spoken word samples (snippets of famous speeches, fragments of poetry, news briefs, etc) and another with chunks of atmospheric found sounds (the beach, forest, city noises, restaurant ambience, etc.) that I randomly trigger to add an interesting sound layer to a patch during some sessions. The key for me is to not overdue it and, in some cases, use a mutable mixer or VCA w/envelope to bring the sounds in and out.

I’ve also put a chord progression sample card in the One that I can trigger on beat and jam to as I’m building up song ideas.

Good luck and have fun with your music!

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:35 am

I've got a question that was probably asked before:
What is the lowest latency you can get from the module? I tried layering analog and sampled kicks with it and the result was not usable.

I have trigger mode, CV to free and short CV delay in the config text and a SanDisk Ultra 16G Class 10, fresh formatted and only 2 samples on it in the moment. (sbooth MAX to wav)

continuum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by continuum » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:55 pm

kay_k wrote:I've got a question that was probably asked before:
What is the lowest latency you can get from the module? I tried layering analog and sampled kicks with it and the result was not usable.

I have trigger mode, CV to free and short CV delay in the config text and a SanDisk Ultra 16G Class 10, fresh formatted and only 2 samples on it in the moment. (sbooth MAX to wav)
The only latency is from the DAC which is about 20 samples. With a sample rate of 96k the latency is under 0.25ms (250 uSec). As the sample rate decreases the latency increases, but even at 48k it is only 0.5ms. There are numerous demos on our website with ONE playing alongside our analog drum modules without any noticeable latency. This was a primary focus of the module development.

File change CV mode is different as the latency is then determined by the access time of the SD card. This is completely unquantifiable as even repeated access to the same file can result in different delay amounts.
Tiptop Audio R&D
www.tiptopaudio.com/

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:15 pm

Sorry .. I checked again with another sample. The other was a badly cropped one.
I assumed the "pro" source I got the sample from would crop tight enough.
My bad! Thank you for the very fast response!

continuum wrote:
kay_k wrote:I've got a question that was probably asked before:

The only latency is from the DAC which is about 20 samples. With a sample rate of 96k the latency is under 0.25ms (250 uSec). As the sample rate decreases the latency increases, but even at 48k it is only 0.5ms. There are numerous demos on our website with ONE playing alongside our analog drum modules without any noticeable latency. This was a primary focus of the module development.

File change CV mode is different as the latency is then determined by the access time of the SD card. This is completely unquantifiable as even repeated access to the same file can result in different delay amounts.

continuum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by continuum » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:35 am

kay_k wrote:Sorry .. I checked again with another sample. The other was a badly cropped one.
I assumed the "pro" source I got the sample from would crop tight enough.
My bad! Thank you for the very fast response!
This is surprisingly common with commercial sample sets.
Tiptop Audio R&D
www.tiptopaudio.com/

johnnie red
Learning to Wiggle

Post by johnnie red » Sat May 12, 2018 3:18 pm

I'm having trouble getting my two One modules to work the way I need it to work. I'm trying to use the module in Select File mode, first sending a constant cv signal and then sending a pulse trigger a few seconds later. Neither module seems to work correctly, though I've tested one more significantly than the other including having the latest firmware installed. With both modules I'm using the card provided with the module, but with my own samples.

For simplicity sake right now I just have 3 files loaded, all of which are "cleaned" in Audacity. The files range from 4-15 seconds in length. I'm using config and playlist txt files that don't seem to work.

After the module boots all three of the files can be easily selected with the file knob, however it doesn't boot in the Select File mode as specified in the config.txt file.

If I manually switch the mode to Select File for whatever reason the module will then only trigger one of the three samples, wherever I set the File knob or whatever CV signal I send it.

Anyone have troubles similar to mine and find a solution? The modules will be of no use to me unless I can properly use the Select File mode.

Thanks!

windsongstudio
Common Wiggler

Post by windsongstudio » Sat May 12, 2018 6:10 pm

Hey jonnie red. Just did a test. Two ONEs, latest firmware, personal samples (one with 3-5 sec samples, other with very long (2-3 min) samples), both in Select File mode (flashing red... push button, turn white encoder with cables removed), took 2 CVS from Pressure Points (and mult’d T-Gate from Brains) and it worked as expected... touching PP Touch Plates selects file on each ONE and then the T-Gate triggers them to play. Only difference in our test cases is my cards have about 100 samples each and I boot both ONES to pitched mode not Select File mode.

johnnie red
Learning to Wiggle

Post by johnnie red » Sun May 13, 2018 6:05 am

Thanks windsongstudio, that helps. There may have been an issue with the CVs I was sending it combined with the low number of files. I now have 32 files loaded (the max that can be selected via CV) and I switched to using a monome teletype to provide the CV. It works better though still doesn’t seem to have the precision for selecting the correct file I need (for example triggering different samples even when cv signal hasn’t changed). But more tests need to be performed. Thx again.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”