FIVE12 Eurorack Vector Sequencer Teaser

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

boom blip
Common Wiggler

Re: FIVE12 Eurorack Vector Sequencer Teaser

Post by boom blip » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:39 pm

Not much to add to this thread but to say that this is the most fun I've ever had with a eurorack sequencer by far, very intuitive and easy to use, great design here.

Maybe I'm missing something in the manual but is there a way to have the pitch change without a gate being active?

joskery
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joskery » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:55 pm

You could do this with two tracks if you’ve got some to spare - one takes care of cv, another gate.

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:16 pm

synonymist wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 12:58 pm
After its usability and sheer power, most impressive to me about Vector Sequencer is how expressive it can be.
Still true. Here Vector Sequencer does it all; except for non-12-TET pitch CV for one melody, made by o_C. Session notes are at the track's webpage:

ima_jrk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ima_jrk » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:36 am

For owners - how does the Euclidean generator work? It appears that you don’t have control over the variables or am I mistaken. I am really looking for a sequencer that serve as a traditional sequencer but also one that supports generative and random and evolution and Vector looks like the best going. I just really like being able to control the parameters of Euclidean and Turing style generation.

Also for mutation/generation, what is the killer feature that is missing?

Dark Barn
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dark Barn » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:03 am

The Euclidean generator populates your track with a random number of gates based on the track length, with Euclidean spacing. It doesn’t generate the track length or step rotation, but those controls are available manually.

As for your second question the feature I’d personally most like for the generator is a user specified octave or note range.
I’ve been searchin’ for the dolphins in the sea

The Weak in Review - podcast in ((poetic_stere0)) Spotify YouTube

ima_jrk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ima_jrk » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:16 am

Dark Barn wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:03 am
The Euclidean generator populates your track with a random number of gates based on the track length, with Euclidean spacing. It doesn’t generate the track length or step rotation, but those controls are available manually.

As for your second question the feature I’d personally most like for the generator is a user specified octave or note range.
Thanks! How do you set the number of Euclidean beats? Say I have a 16 step track and I want 7 beats or 13 or 2?

Dark Barn
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dark Barn » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:26 am

With the generator you don’t, the number of beats/gates is randomized.

ima_jrk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ima_jrk » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:39 am

Dark Barn wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:26 am
With the generator you don’t, the number of beats/gates is randomized.
Ok. Sounds like it’s not a big deal because you will regenerate until you find something you like and you can control length and rotation.

What is the difference between Eucl 1 and 2?

gnome666
Common Wiggler

Post by gnome666 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:48 am

anyone know if you can use this as a pseudo MIDI-CV converter? i.e. if I send in midi note/on-off info from an external midi device, can the five12 pass it through as CV/gate voltages?

Dark Barn
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dark Barn » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:55 am

There’s just one Euclidean generator at this time, some of the other generators types do have more than one subtype that can include different parameters that will be generated. They all generate note and gate info, but some may also include pitch glide, velocity, step length, and ratchet.

ima_jrk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ima_jrk » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:45 pm

Well based on the feedback here I just picked up the Vector, the Expander and the Moog Boat/uZeus combo. Glad I read through the thread because I never considered this for running my other MIDI synths! I can connect it to my MioXL and have it drive all the synths and my Eurorack together. Thanks everyone!

StateAzure
Wiggling with Experience

Post by StateAzure » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:01 am

aintnopicnic wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:47 am
Dark Barn wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:08 pm
A few people have made the request to have the Vector UI follow the play head, and I don’t know if I’d like that, i worry it could cause trouble when editing to have the UI take you off the ‘page’ that you are currently editing. It doesn’t take much to quickly flip through pages as it currently stands.
The feature request is to have an "auto follow page" as an OPTION and therefore not general behaviour.
When I have a sequence longer than 8 steps going, which is standard for me, I want to see
whats going on in the rest of my sequence.
I don't want to hit the prev/next buttons all the time.

In addition at the moment the behaviour is, if i stop a sequence outside the 8-bar range (first page)
I can't even "search" for the step I want to change, because the playhead simply dissapears.
This is just wrong.

The right implemantation of this feature would be as an OPTION, as I mentioned before .
And also the option to display and LOOP the page i want to work on.

At the moment it's just not right.
Most of the Vector users are happy with noodling around with a 8-step-sequence, I guess.
Unconscious they limit theirselves to this, because the currently functionality doesn't allow a
painless experience to manage 16-64 steps long sequences.
What makes you think most users just work in 8 steps, just because you find the current system clunky? Personally I much prefer a locked screen rather than a Chase mode that follows the sequence. Reason is (and yes i mostly work with long sequences 16 -64), I like to edit the sequence while it's running, and it's an absolute nightmare when the UI keeps flipping through pages just as I'm about to edit a step. Hated this on the Eloquencer for chained patterns too when trying to edit 2xpages of 16 steps, maybe they fixed it now, but it was annoying as hell.

Still if it comes as an option, no problem

StateAzure
Wiggling with Experience

Post by StateAzure » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:07 am

Zymos wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:07 am
I kind of missed the following behavior at first (I came from Audio Damage Sequencer 1, which had that option) but don’t even think about it anymore. Except when it comes up in discussion.
It would be good to have the option, but I don’t really think the omission is that much of a drawback, and I don’t think I would even use it that much. A way to quickly loop an 8 bar section would be great though.
Just set the range of steps you want to loop?

davidjames
Wiggling with Experience

Post by davidjames » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:00 pm

If I understand correctly, I cannot use a 24ppqn clock (from Metron), and reset it with a pulse (from a Metron channel or the reset-out)? If I choose RC24, then it seems to expect a run signal, and no matter what options I pick for the reset input, its does nothing. Am I missing something?
FS: Lyra-8, Euro Bargain Bin, Tuesday, Mutable, Malekko, more!
viewtopic.php?p=3062675

Dark Barn
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dark Barn » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:37 pm

davidjames wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:00 pm
If I understand correctly, I cannot use a 24ppqn clock (from Metron), and reset it with a pulse (from a Metron channel or the reset-out)? If I choose RC24, then it seems to expect a run signal, and no matter what options I pick for the reset input, its does nothing. Am I missing something?

You can manually reset in RC24 mode if you have the expander, set one of the triggers to EXT in the global menu, then set the parts you want to reset to Tx in the part control menu. This seems to override all clocking modes with a reset, it seems like the reset jack input only works in cr/1 and cr/4 clock mode.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:48 pm

Any reason not to clock Metron from Vector? Especially since Metron doesn’t have a Run button, but Vector does?

davidjames
Wiggling with Experience

Post by davidjames » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:54 pm

Dark Barn wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:37 pm
davidjames wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:00 pm
You can manually reset in RC24 mode if you have the expander, set one of the triggers to EXT in the global menu, then set the parts you want to reset to Tx in the part control menu. This seems to override all clocking modes with a reset, it seems like the reset jack input only works in cr/1 and cr/4 clock mode.
Thanks for the tip, I'll give that a try. Nice bonus having the option to leave some parts cycling. And since Vector is upscaling to 48 ppqn internally, I assume it's beneficial to feed it 24 vs 4, but maybe he's optimized that function.
FS: Lyra-8, Euro Bargain Bin, Tuesday, Mutable, Malekko, more!
viewtopic.php?p=3062675

kesserich
Common Wiggler

Post by kesserich » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:40 pm

aintnopicnic wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:47 am

At the moment it's just not right.
Most of the Vector users are happy with noodling around with a 8-step-sequence, I guess.
Unconscious they limit theirselves to this, because the currently functionality doesn't allow a
painless experience to manage 16-64 steps long sequences.
That's our thing, man. We only write music with 8 or less steps. If you can't handle the minimalism then you should exit the thread and go buy one of those fancy 9 or 10 step sequencers

AbundantChoice
Common Wiggler

Post by AbundantChoice » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:32 pm

StateAzure wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:01 am
Personally I much prefer a locked screen rather than a Chase mode that follows the sequence. Reason is (and yes i mostly work with long sequences 16 -64), I like to edit the sequence while it's running, and it's an absolute nightmare when the UI keeps flipping through pages just as I'm about to edit a step.
Same here; I probably wouldn't use a "tracking" mode as I also tend to edit on-the-fly.
One thing that's really struck me the more i've gotten comfortable with the Vector is with the variable step length & step repeats, coupled with the sub-sequencer, and the level of control over chance ops (every X cycles, etc), is that the actual # of steps is kind of irrelevant (for me at least). Coming from a "a step is a step is a step" sequencer, just some simple control over step Length & Repeat + using a Subsequencer for transposition shifts means that often my # of steps may be only 12, or 8, or 6, or whatever, but it will have more melody and variation than a 16 or 32 step sequence from a different sequencer. But that's my workflow, it may not be other peoples' .

ima_jrk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ima_jrk » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:51 pm

In everyone’s experience, how long does it usually take to get your calibration files after emailing?

Naenyn
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Naenyn » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:30 pm

ima_jrk wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:51 pm
In everyone’s experience, how long does it usually take to get your calibration files after emailing?
Mine took just under 3 hours. :party:
-n :ninja:

My racks on ModularGrid
Find me on MuffWiggler's Discord

mmontazeri
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mmontazeri » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:54 pm

2.0 software demo next Saturday.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:18 pm

Nice! What are we expecting to see in this update?

rikrak
Common Wiggler

Post by rikrak » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:48 pm

On the SUBSEQ pages, there is a MIN MAX setting. This is always greyed-out and says -50 50. The manual implies that this will change when you select a PARAM target for the sub sequence, but I have never seen it change. On an older youtube video I saw, it had changed to reflect the target, but I noticed that it did not change when Loopop was doing his review. Any ideas?

joskery
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joskery » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:50 pm

Sinamsis wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:18 pm
Nice! What are we expecting to see in this update?
” Summary of what's in already: Launchpad support, Alternate Tunings, CV Pitch Mod, UI Follow, better Mute behavior, REC page overhaul w/ Latching”

Return to “Eurorack Modules”