FIVE12 Eurorack Vector Sequencer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

BlackBearDiner
Learning to Wiggle

Re: FIVE12 Eurorack Vector Sequencer

Post by BlackBearDiner » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:27 am

Hope this is ok to post here, if not I will remove. Jim announced in the Vector Users group on Facebook that he is gonna have an informal Q&A session on Zoom this afternoon, in case anyone missed it.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:46 am

FWIW, it’s described on the FB group page as a “private event”, and I think you need to be a member to access the Zoom coordinates.
He’s hosted a couple of other events in the past couple of weeks and said that it was OK to share coordinates with a friend but asked invitees not to publicly post them.

Might still be time to request to join the group and be approved before this afternoon though.
maybe you’d like to buy some nice used modules? Free cables with purchase!!

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=235367&p=3313562&h ... s#p3313562

MikeLeeBirds
Common Wiggler

Post by MikeLeeBirds » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:24 am

Jim hosted a little Vector meetup on Zoom yesterday, which was very informative and a lot of fun!
I hope it will happen again soon.
Attachments
AE5EE7C1-C2B2-435C-98AD-3DD31FA360C1.png

Vast_Halo
Common Wiggler

Post by Vast_Halo » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:10 am

It would be great if someone who was on the Zoom call could pass on anything interesting that they recall, e.g. ETAs for the v2 OS and the dedicated skiff that Jim was talking about earlier this year?

XiXora
Learning to Wiggle

Post by XiXora » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:38 am

There is a new beta imminent 😜

zengomi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zengomi » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:43 am

Jim said, with a chuckle, he hopes to release v2 OS before Christmas. Fingers crossed.

windchill
Wiggling with Experience

Post by windchill » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:06 am

I'm very pleasantly surprised by how much new stuff, and fixes for various user interface issues, is in the beta.
Version 2 will take the already fantastic Vector up a notch.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:13 am

windchill wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:06 am
I'm very pleasantly surprised by how much new stuff, and fixes for various user interface issues, is in the beta.
Version 2 will take the already fantastic Vector up a notch.
I’m already looking forwards to some of the stuff that’s coming but isn’t even going to make it into 2.0!

But yeah, this release is pretty major compared to the last official version.

windchill
Wiggling with Experience

Post by windchill » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:46 pm

mdoudoroff wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:30 pm
My thinking is that each stage already has three MIDI CC values (none of which do much for me) so why not repurpose one of them. No expansion of the data model or memory footprint. Maybe there’s something about those CC values I misunderstand. (I don’t use MIDI so I’ve never tried them.) There might be a better way.
I'm with you on your basic idea but you'll pry the Vector's three CC lanes from my cold, dead hands.
I wasn't looking for it, but they have allowed me to integrate an OB-6 with my modular in the most beautiful ways.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:19 pm

Jim nixed using CC lanes anyway, sounds like he would rather do it a different way.

hinterlands303
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hinterlands303 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:30 pm

I was on the Zoom call for about an hour yesterday - it was a lot of fun! I believe 2.0 has moved into a semi-public beta - I think you can email Jim and he'll send you the firmware. One of the additions I'm excited about are new mod input destinations (especially excited about the different ways the mod inputs can affect pitch).

Also, Jim hinted that there might be some new hardware ideas in development.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:43 pm

My suggestion to use the CC lanes wasn’t to co-opt them, I just noticed that the CC lanes were sitting there unused (by the likes of me) so I could hypothetically get a (non-exclusive) alternative use out of them. The memory overhead of toggling on and off gates could be as small as a few bytes, anyways—pretty negligible. Will be interested to see what, if anything, Jim comes up with.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:45 pm

Oh, here’s info (and download link) for the public beta:
https://forum.five12.net/forum/eurorack ... are-1-9-24

windchill
Wiggling with Experience

Post by windchill » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:50 pm

Zymos wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:19 pm
Jim nixed using CC lanes anyway, sounds like he would rather do it a different way.
Really? So the CC lanes are no more if I install the beta?

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:01 pm

No, sorry for the confusion- what I mean is that he does not want to repurpose them for other uses. They still function as intended.

MikeLeeBirds
Common Wiggler

Post by MikeLeeBirds » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:15 am

I saw the Midi CC options, but never gave them a second thought. The discussion here got me interested, though. I’ll hook up Vector to my Hermod and see if it translates the CC values to usable control voltage for my rack.
Any tips or things I have to be aware of when doing that?

Genox
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Genox » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:29 am

I've tried the beta, its awesome!
Does anybody know what is the MASK function in the SEQ CTL second page?
I've asked about it in the five12 forum's thread of the beta firmware too.

XiXora
Learning to Wiggle

Post by XiXora » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:11 am

Genox wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:29 am
It is to do with selecting iirc, it is going to be taken out. I think he forgot just before he posted the beta.

Genox
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Genox » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:26 am

XiXora wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:11 am
Genox wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:29 am
It is to do with selecting iirc, it is going to be taken out. I think he forgot just before he posted the beta.
Ok allright then
Cheers :tu:

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:12 am

Yeah, it will let you pick steps that will be ignored when you do certain operations- invert, evolve, etc...

At one point he thought it would make it into 2.0, not sure if that’s still the plan. It’s going to be a really cool feature once it is implemented.

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:26 am

in the beta 1.9.24 release notes, Jim mentions:

"""
Added 10 more built-in tunings, including 19 and 31 TET tunings, and all 8 tunings from the previous
tuning folder. In addition, where appropriate, the tunings now automatically adjust to the key you are in.
For example, JIA7T is a just-intonated tuning in A, but if your Part is in G, the tuning will be shifted to that key.
IMPORTANT: If you were using alternate tunings before, you may need to adjust settings to get the same results.
In particular: if you were using ET24, you will need to update the selected tuning itself. If you are having trouble
getting a previous project back to the correct semitone offset, email me and I can help.
"""

can anyone with a Vector confirm whether this also means that CUSTOM tunings added through .mid files in the TUNING folder will now get transposed by the key of the Part? that would be really nice, because if I had a Vector I'd want to add a couple pentatonic scales into it but would prefer not to create 12 different tunings per scale and have to select one from the GLOBALS : GENERL 2nd page any time I want to change the key.

I understand that for non-equal temperament tunings this would be like fitting a round peg into a square hole, but currently the only way to expand on the Vector's provided scales is by adding tunings through MIDI Tuning Specification.

Genox
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Genox » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:11 pm

autopoiesis wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:26 am
in the beta 1.9.24 release notes, Jim mentions:

"""
Added 10 more built-in tunings, including 19 and 31 TET tunings, and all 8 tunings from the previous
tuning folder. In addition, where appropriate, the tunings now automatically adjust to the key you are in.
For example, JIA7T is a just-intonated tuning in A, but if your Part is in G, the tuning will be shifted to that key.
IMPORTANT: If you were using alternate tunings before, you may need to adjust settings to get the same results.
In particular: if you were using ET24, you will need to update the selected tuning itself. If you are having trouble
getting a previous project back to the correct semitone offset, email me and I can help.
"""

can anyone with a Vector confirm whether this also means that CUSTOM tunings added through .mid files in the TUNING folder will now get transposed by the key of the Part? that would be really nice, because if I had a Vector I'd want to add a couple pentatonic scales into it but would prefer not to create 12 different tunings per scale and have to select one from the GLOBALS : GENERL 2nd page any time I want to change the key.

I understand that for non-equal temperament tunings this would be like fitting a round peg into a square hole, but currently the only way to expand on the Vector's provided scales is by adding tunings through MIDI Tuning Specification.
I tried a custom tuning this afternoon (the full colundi sequence with 128 notes), converted it to MID file with scala with succes, the vector does recognize the file, it loads fine I can choose in the global pref and seq ctl pref my tuning but it does not change anything whatsoever. I've tried a few times with no luck so far.
I might try with a simple scala file later today (my file was near the limit jim wrote about in the forums)

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:16 pm

thanks Genox. I'm not surprised the key transposition didn't work for the Colundi scale, which is a real edge case. hopefully it does with a much simpler (5-7 note) tuning specification.

Genox
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Genox » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:26 pm

autopoiesis wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:16 pm
thanks Genox. I'm not surprised the key transposition didn't work for the Colundi scale, which is a real edge case. hopefully it does with a much simpler (5-7 note) tuning specification.
Well its not just the transposition that didn't worked, it's the alternative tuning in general.
The built-in tunings work fine but the one I made for the colundi sequence does not.:despair: It just apply standard tuning

Return to “Eurorack Modules”