FIVE12 Eurorack Vector Sequencer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Carlsborg Expert
Learning to Wiggle

Re: FIVE12 Eurorack Vector Sequencer

Post by Carlsborg Expert » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:10 am

nrg242 wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:48 pm
upgraded to the new firmware. both over RC24 and Midi via USAMO its down to 0-3ms, which is fine and i'll stop obsessing over numbers.
Buzzing. I'll do the same soon then!
invisiblewires wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:37 am
Just for the record: I don't own the Expander and have to use RC24 (or the STG connection in the back). I'm pretty sure, you wouldn't get any problems with a direct MIDI connection.
Furthermore, the new firmware solved the problem for me. Now the RC24 connection rock is solid.
Great to hear! Launchpad 3 Mini at the ready. Think I'm gonna try the latest version this weekend. Just to clarify, what is the absolute latest verision? I get a bit lost on the Five12 forum trying to figure it out.

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:14 am

so is there also less jitter now when you clock Vector through USB-A or USB-C? this part isn't clear to me yet

nrg242
Common Wiggler

Post by nrg242 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:49 am

sorry, haven't tried using usb to clock to the Vector. if i get around to trying it out, i'll post back.

the last release is v 1.9.36

vilovisp
Common Wiggler

Post by vilovisp » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:59 pm

is the second time i try the firmware i need to run more tests but i can say.

1- In RC24 MODE works much better only some hits get jitter , before was constant , still not 100% perfect with my setup , need to play with my settings

2-in USB mode i still have quite a lot of jitter , but i use windows and ableton so cant blame vector

3- in rc24 when i make a division/multiplication of a step it get lot of jitter that div/mult , ll run more tests on these

thats what i could find out for now , its much better than before.But he is on the right path jim , just a little more patience.

Either way i really love these device i hope they can fix every detail ! Is killer !!

skreetis
Common Wiggler

Post by skreetis » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:25 pm

I’m trying to get Vector to receive clock and start/stop from Logic, to no avail. I have connected Vector to my computer via USB port A, set it to receive clock from USB-A, and selected Vector as a sync destination within Logic’s MIDI sync menu, but no matter how I fiddle with the sub-settings, I can’t get Vector to respond. I’ve never needed to sync to Logic’s MIDI clock before, so I assume the problem is some user error on my part. Does anyone here use Logic and have had more luck than me in syncing Vector to its MIDI clock?

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:42 pm

I have the requisite bits but have never tried. I will try to run a test this afternoon.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:01 pm

skreetis wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:25 pm
I’m trying to get Vector to receive clock and start/stop from Logic, to no avail. I have connected Vector to my computer via USB port A, set it to receive clock from USB-A, and selected Vector as a sync destination within Logic’s MIDI sync menu, but no matter how I fiddle with the sub-settings, I can’t get Vector to respond. I’ve never needed to sync to Logic’s MIDI clock before, so I assume the problem is some user error on my part. Does anyone here use Logic and have had more luck than me in syncing Vector to its MIDI clock?
Ok, first of all, you may need to connect your computer to USB port B, not A. I don’t know whether that is an absolute fact, but it’s what worked for me. So to speak.

- Under project settings/synchronization/MIDI, I set the destination to be the Vector and I checked "clock".

- On the Vector, I set Sync to USB-B in the Global menu.

That seems to basically work: Vector starts and stops with Logic. The Vector clock seems to need around -100ms delay comp, though, otherwise, when I record, stuff Vector is playing on the modular is lagging pretty far behind MIDI notes in Logic.
Last edited by mdoudoroff on Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scragz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by scragz » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:24 pm

How would you even connect your computer to USB A without one of the forbidden A to A cables....

invisiblewires
Learning to Wiggle

Post by invisiblewires » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:39 pm

Carlsborg Expert wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:10 am
Great to hear! Launchpad 3 Mini at the ready. Think I'm gonna try the latest version this weekend. Just to clarify, what is the absolute latest verision? I get a bit lost on the Five12 forum trying to figure it out.
I think 1.9.36 is the latest build. I'll try out my Lauchpad X (Black Friday deal...) over the holidays. Let's stay in contact about that!

hydrophilos
Common Wiggler

Post by hydrophilos » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:54 pm

Haven't use Vector in awhile and I may just have a giant blind spot but all the notes are grayed out and nothing I do has changed that. I would try a hardware reset but I can't find that info anywhere either...suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Nevermind--found the blind spot! Gate(s) have to be on :bang:

skreetis
Common Wiggler

Post by skreetis » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:22 pm

mdoudoroff wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:01 pm
Ok, first of all, you may need to connect your computer to USB port B, not A. I don’t know whether that is an absolute fact, but it’s what worked for me. So to speak.

- Under project settings/synchronization/MIDI, I set the destination to be the Vector and I checked "clock".

That seems to basically work: Vector starts and stops with Logic. The Vector clock seems to need around -100ms delay comp, though, otherwise, when I record, stuff Vector is playing on the modular is lagging pretty far behind MIDI notes in Logic.
Ah, I see. Thanks a lot for your help. I’ll have to order a USB-A to A cable online, as I don’t have one, and no stores have them locally for a reasonable price (they’re around $40 for a single cable at Best Buy). It’s honestly quite frustrating that it doesn’t work with the USB-A port on Vector. I’d expect to be able to sync to a commonly used DAW like Logic without having to source an unusual USB cable.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:37 pm

skreetis wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:22 pm
mdoudoroff wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:01 pm

Ah, I see. Thanks a lot for your help. I’ll have to order a USB-A to A cable online, as I don’t have one, and no stores have them locally for a reasonable price (they’re around $40 for a single cable at Best Buy). It’s honestly quite frustrating that it doesn’t work with the USB-A port on Vector. I’d expect to be able to sync to a commonly used DAW like Logic without having to source an unusual USB cable.
You don’t need a special cable!!! Don’t waste your money.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:18 pm

skreetis wrote:
If you do have to get a USB A <—> USB B cable, it should cost under $10. Amazon has a slew of them. Often these are called “USB printer cables” and you may already have one attached to a printer. I’ve accumulated a few of them over the years. I don’t believe I own any USB A <—> USB A cables.
Sinamsis wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:37 pm
Can you elaborate a little for all our benefits?

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:21 pm

mdoudoroff wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:18 pm
skreetis wrote:
If you do have to get a USB A <—> USB B cable, it should cost under $10. Amazon has a slew of them. Often these are called “USB printer cables” and you may already have one attached to a printer. I’ve accumulated a few of them over the years. I don’t believe I own any USB A <—> USB A cables.
Sinamsis wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:37 pm
Can you elaborate a little for all our benefits?
The member was talking about buying a USB A to A cable. I don't know that it won't work, but I'm certain you don't need it to work. I've definitely synced with a normal USB cable which should not cost $40 dollars. I don't remember the specific details, and I usually use Ableton, but I see no reason you can't do it Logic. I suspect it's just user error. I would check the setting in Logic and on the Vector, but it's certainly possible to sync over USB.

skreetis
Common Wiggler

Post by skreetis » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:15 pm

mdoudoroff wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:18 pm
The member was talking about buying a USB A to A cable. I don't know that it won't work, but I'm certain you don't need it to work. I've definitely synced with a normal USB cable which should not cost $40 dollars. I don't remember the specific details, and I usually use Ableton, but I see no reason you can't do it Logic. I suspect it's just user error. I would check the setting in Logic and on the Vector, but it's certainly possible to sync over USB.
Oh man. The problem was down to idiocy on my part. For some reason, I was thinking of the A and B USB settings in Vector as the order in which they appear on the front panel, like 1 and 2. I thought the first one is A, the second B, instead of the port type. But on the panel, the first port is a B type, and the second port is A type. So when trying to connect to the USB-B type port, I had it set to USB-A. Seems obvious now... :doh:

Thanks again for the help.

BlackBearDiner
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BlackBearDiner » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:55 am

Oookay so I just hooked up my new LP Mini to the Vector, but I can't get the Run button on the LP to get the sequenser running. Feel a bit stupid but haven't found anything on how to make it work. Help plz

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:53 am

BlackBearDiner wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:55 am
Oookay so I just hooked up my new LP Mini to the Vector, but I can't get the Run button on the LP to get the sequenser running. Feel a bit stupid but haven't found anything on how to make it work. Help plz
At the moment, I think the only transport control on the Launchpad is the top button on the rightmost column when you’re on the Session page. See draft user guide for v2: http://files.five12.com/VectorUserGuideV2.pdf (that button works for me—master record is the button directly beneath it, for better or worse)

BlackBearDiner
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BlackBearDiner » Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:35 am

Hmm, yeah that's the one I'm trying to use too. Been looking at the new user guide but haven't managed to understand if there are any settings that I should change. I have updated the LP to the latest firmware too, so gonna try controlling something else later to see if there's any hardware-problem with the LP.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:04 pm

Does the regular run button work?

BlackBearDiner
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BlackBearDiner » Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:08 pm

Yes the run button and everything else works perfectly

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:21 pm

BlackBearDiner wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:08 pm
Yes the run button and everything else works perfectly
If the yellow run button is working, then that one Launch Pad button should work (but only on from the session page).

veets
Wiggling with Experience

Post by veets » Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:31 pm

Please file under stupid questions if this has been asked and answered already, but is there a way to delete old projects?

scragz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by scragz » Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:55 pm

veets wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:31 pm
Please file under stupid questions if this has been asked and answered already, but is there a way to delete old projects?
You can always mount it in USB drive mode by holding Shift on startup and delete them from the F12_VS/PROJECT directory.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:25 pm

While you’re there, it’s a good idea to back up to your computer anyway, just in case.

Also, currently there can be problems with having over 100 projects stored on the Vector, so it’s good to delete and/or offload some if you have that many. Jim mentioned something for the future about a folder type arrangement so you could have 1000’s. Not that you’d probably need THAT many!

veets
Wiggling with Experience

Post by veets » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:56 pm

Thanks, all. I was hoping for a way to do it through the menu, but that's okay. All just use the USB route.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”