FIVE12 Eurorack Vector Sequencer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Doomservice
Learning to Wiggle

Re: FIVE12 Eurorack Vector Sequencer

Post by Doomservice » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:37 pm

Is anybody using some form of screen protector? I’m about to have the Vector in a skiff that is below my rack and there probably will be patchcables falling down on it every now and then and I don’t wanna scratch the screen. Don’t know where to start looking for one though.

Wick
Common Wiggler

Post by Wick » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:32 pm

Doomservice wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:37 pm
Is anybody using some form of screen protector? I’m about to have the Vector in a skiff that is below my rack and there probably will be patchcables falling down on it every now and then and I don’t wanna scratch the screen. Don’t know where to start looking for one though.
well im gonna build one soon for my vector made on thin lexan layer on laser cutter

BlackDoors
Common Wiggler

Post by BlackDoors » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:04 am

Doomservice wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:37 pm
Personally I don't have one on vector but the simplest way of making custom screen protectors is to buy a cheap tablet screen protector, and cut individual protector pieces to size with sharp scissors. I do this for my cameras and some music gear. Previous model iPad screen protectors are usually very cheap, clear and glossy. The price usually costs about 1% of buying pre-cut camera ones, and if the screen protector needs replacing, its no big deal. Vector screens are a little recessed but I think it should be possible to use this method and get a good result with care.

scragz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by scragz » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:00 pm

I just racked up a neat little utility module that pairs really well with Vector: the LPZW Tram8. Basically, it's an easy way to turn two drum parts on Vector into 8 sequences of gates and coarse CV.

I have Vector parts 1-6 going to Vector+expander outputs 1-6, then I have drum tracks on 7&8. I had these going with MIDI to Bitbox, but lately I've been using Flux for almost all of my drum sequencing, leaving 7&8 unused. Now I can use them to trigger secondary envelopes or use the velocity to sequence CV.

Cool little module I've never seen in any racks so I thought I would share. I think Schneidersladen is the only distributor.

GoSpaghetti
Learning to Wiggle

Strange pitch changes

Post by GoSpaghetti » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:38 pm

I got the Vector for a some months now and am absolutely amazed - big thank you to Jim for this fantastic piece of gear. I just have one issue which I experience from time to time and have not able to solve until now:

Did anybody else experience weird pitch changes out of nowhere? After letting the vector run for a while and having the pitch page on the display some notes randomly change their value - mostly one or two semitones.

Things connected and settings:

- Running on new Beta firmware
- Subsequencers and internal modulation are off
- Mod 1 and 2 off and not connected
- Squarp Hermod is slave via USB B
- Lanunchpad Pro is connected via USB A
- Clock output goes to Pamela
- Midi 1 to Moog Sub 37
- Midi 2 to Novation Peak
- Gate 1 and Pitch 1 to Shapeshifter
- Gate 2 and Pitch 2 to Plaits

Tried a lot of changes in the setup but after some time without problems I find myself back at the starting point :( Thanks for any advice...

scragz
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Strange pitch changes

Post by scragz » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:45 pm

GoSpaghetti wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:38 pm
Did anybody else experience weird pitch changes out of nowhere? After letting the vector run for a while and having the pitch page on the display some notes randomly change their value - mostly one or two semitones.
Does this only happen when viewing the pitch page? I've had some issues with the encoders registering one last click briefly after I've stopped turning them, wondering if it could be a similar hardware issue you are seeing.

GoSpaghetti
Learning to Wiggle

Post by GoSpaghetti » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:53 am

Thanks for your reply. Until now I didn‘t recognise it in sequences which were not active and on the pitch page. I tried to put the knobs in positions close before clicking into the next position this morning but It had no effect.In my case the changes happen after quite a while. To check if any of the connected devices causes the trouble I powered everything on step by step several times. If something happened it was in a range of 10-30 minutes. Will try this again today... Have you been able to fix the problem or did you return the unit? Have a nice weekend!

scragz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by scragz » Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:21 pm

GoSpaghetti wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:53 am
Have you been able to fix the problem or did you return the unit?
It hasn't been a big enough issue yet for me, more like "I swear this F was an E a second ago". But if yours is repeatedly bad enough then I suggest emailing Jim @ five12.net.

ima_jrk
Common Wiggler

Post by ima_jrk » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:01 pm

I’ve experienced bad pitches once - some pitches would randomly play a semi tone sharp or flat. It was random and not every repeat. Rebooting made it go away-running 1.4.? - latest production firmware.

In other news, I picked up a Metron to pair with Vector for percussion duties, but I’m not yet in love. Really thinking about returning it and the expanders and getting a second Vector and Expander and dedicate it to drums. I got Metron as a more visual and flexible way of sequencing percussion, as I don’t like the fact that you can’t use all chance and modulation options for each of the four voices in a drum part. I want more control for percussion voices, for gates and modulation. Having a modulation lane per channel on Vector Is great, though having the bipolar Volteras give more options. It’s also nice that the Volteras aren’t tied to a specific track. It’s a hard decision.

Ultimately I think what I want is an Elektron sequencer for percussion, but don’t want to move any of my Elektron boxes over to the modular corner (no room, really). I miss being able to add triggers that only trigger once every four run throughs of the pattern, or being able to have a wider range of randomness.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:34 pm

There are a couple of features I wish Metron had, but overall I’m really happy with it doing drums next to Vector’s melodies and chords. Volteras and Axxent are pretty much a must to get the most out of it, IMO.

mixxalot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mixxalot » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:13 pm

@Zymos, I hopefully get my WMD Metron next week even though my Voltera and Axxent arrived already but since I have a bunch of percussion modules, I wanted a dedicated drum eurorack sequencer and that seems to be great for it. Vector would be great to add at some point for melodies or perhaps Erica Synths Black Sequencer once firmware has been out a while and the bugs worked out of it.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/modben

My modular setup (always work in progress)
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1391380

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:16 pm

The Vector and Metron are an amazing combo. Right now I have them in separate cases but they do very well in the same case. The Metron took a little while to grow on me but I think once you get the hang of it, you love it. It’s a different work flow compared to the vector, more linear. They compliment each other very nicely.

ima_jrk
Common Wiggler

Post by ima_jrk » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:13 am

I originally had a Steppy for quick drum patterns and liked it so much I returned it and added Metron for better/more immediate control. I have 11 percussion modules (2 samplers) for a total of 15 sequence length dedicated percussion modules, so Metron seemed a no brained, especially with CV mod for various parameters, and sample selection. I think I still have a lot to learn to appreciate it. My favorite feature thus far is the STG sync connection on the back. I bought the materials to make sync cables and it’s nice to have them clocked together without patch cables (I hope some day Pamelas CrossFit will have STG sync).

GoSpaghetti
Learning to Wiggle

Post by GoSpaghetti » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:34 am

@ scragz
@ im_jrk

It appeared under 1.4. and the newest 1.9.36 (?) firmware. After letting the vector run for a day with different units connected / disconnected I thought it was somehow related to the Launchpad but doing a warm reset as you recommended seems to be the trick for now. If it happens again I will report it to Jim. Thank you both for helping :tu:

aintnopicnic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by aintnopicnic » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:16 am

scragz wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:00 pm
I just racked up a neat little utility module that pairs really well with Vector: the LPZW Tram8. Basically, it's an easy way to turn two drum parts on Vector into 8 sequences of gates and coarse CV.
Now I can use them to trigger secondary envelopes or use the velocity to sequence CV.
Hi I have the Vector an bought 2xTram8.

I configured Part 5,6,7,8 as Drum Part on Vector and want to send Gate/Velocity via TRS Midi-Out 1/2 on the Vector.
(I don't own the Expander)

Unfortunately I cannot select for example Part 5 V1,V2,V3,V4 when I want to route them via Midi-Out 1/2.
This is accessible when I would route to the two onboard Pitch/Gate/Vel Outputs.
I've configured everything as I should, but I cannot chose the individual drum tracks in the routing section.

Maybe could give me a hint?
Help would be greatly appreciated!

Vector_OS_1937.jpg

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:56 am

Hey, thought I’d mention that Jim is doing a Vector deep dive on the five12 YouTube channel today. Starts at 2 Mountain time, though you can watch it later too.

https://youtube.com/c/Five12

scragz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by scragz » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:12 pm

aintnopicnic wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:16 am
Hi I have the Vector an bought 2xTram8.

I configured Part 5,6,7,8 as Drum Part on Vector and want to send Gate/Velocity via TRS Midi-Out 1/2 on the Vector.
(I don't own the Expander)

Unfortunately I cannot select for example Part 5 V1,V2,V3,V4 when I want to route them via Midi-Out 1/2.
This is accessible when I would route to the two onboard Pitch/Gate/Vel Outputs.
I've configured everything as I should, but I cannot chose the individual drum tracks in the routing section.

Maybe could give me a hint?
Help would be greatly appreciated!
You only need to set

MIDI1 Part5 Channel10 Part6 Channel10
MIDI2 Part7 Channel10 Part8 Channel10

Actual channel doesn't matter and they can be the same since they are on different outputs. Then the individual drum tracks play a single note on that channel, which the notes have to be different. You press learn on the Tram8 and play a beat on each voice 12345678 in order and it will remember the channel and which notes are which voice.

aintnopicnic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by aintnopicnic » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:32 pm

scragz wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:12 pm

You only need to set
MIDI1 Part5 Channel10 Part6 Channel10
MIDI2 Part7 Channel10 Part8 Channel10

Actual channel doesn't matter and they can be the same since they are on different outputs. Then the individual drum tracks play a single note on that channel, which the notes have to be different. You press learn on the Tram8 and play a beat on each voice 12345678 in order and it will remember the channel and which notes are which voice.
Thanks a lot!
Your tip got me halfway there.
After dropping the developer an email, because each part fired of the same 4 notes
by default, he gave me the tip to change the outputted MIDI notes in the DRUM MAP page
and this got me to the finish line.
You already mentioned this in your reply, but I didn't knew where to change it..

So thanks again!

kwaidan
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kwaidan » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:00 pm

Is there any way to reset a part or project to the factory default?

aintnopicnic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by aintnopicnic » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:56 pm

Shift-Clear

kwaidan
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kwaidan » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:48 pm

Thanks!

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:07 pm

I got the Vector sequencing 4 voices from the Buchla no problem!

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:26 pm

Sinamsis wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:07 pm
Cool! Was a passive jumbler sufficient?

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:25 pm

mdoudoroff wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:26 pm
Sinamsis wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:07 pm
Cool! Was a passive jumbler sufficient?
Loaded question... so first Jim had to give me a custom build because I couldn't calibrate the outputs to 1.2v/oct. With his build I get at least 6 octaves (I think 2 down and 4 up IIRC) which is plenty for me. Otherwise in this case yes a passive format jumbler that ties ground to the Buchla system is "adequate." I have also just used custom cables as well. What you lose is that the gate outputs won't work on inputs that expect triggers. There's something funky about how the Buchla triggers work, I forget exactly, but I think the basics are that first a much higher voltage occurs that is the trigger, and then the gate follows in a Buchla system. The gate output isn't hot enough to trigger the trigger mode of the 281 in this example. As a result I was a little more limited in how snappy and percussive each note could be, but it was good enough for me. I have a 225e on the way and I will probably use the Vector to control it via MIDI, mainly to streamline patching a bit.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:14 am

Sinamsis wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:25 pm
Loaded question... so first Jim had to give me a custom build because I couldn't calibrate the outputs to 1.2v/oct. With his build I get at least 6 octaves (I think 2 down and 4 up IIRC) which is plenty for me. Otherwise in this case yes a passive format jumbler that ties ground to the Buchla system is "adequate." I have also just used custom cables as well. What you lose is that the gate outputs won't work on inputs that expect triggers. There's something funky about how the Buchla triggers work, I forget exactly, but I think the basics are that first a much higher voltage occurs that is the trigger, and then the gate follows in a Buchla system. The gate output isn't hot enough to trigger the trigger mode of the 281 in this example. As a result I was a little more limited in how snappy and percussive each note could be, but it was good enough for me. I have a 225e on the way and I will probably use the Vector to control it via MIDI, mainly to streamline patching a bit.
Thank you for the detailed explanation—I have a Vector and will be getting my feet wet with a 208 soon. The MIDI route sure sounds easier, but of course it’s not entirely the same thing. I probably wouldn’t want to have to buy four CVGT1 modules if I was in your shoes.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”