FIVE12 Eurorack Vector Sequencer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

kwaidan
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: FIVE12 Eurorack Vector Sequencer

Post by kwaidan » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:03 pm

See below.
Last edited by kwaidan on Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kwaidan
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kwaidan » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:20 pm

With the Vector’s MIDI USB port, can I use an app like Patch Base for iPad to control a synth while it is simultaneously receiving note info?

Edited for clarity.

nexgen23
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nexgen23 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:26 pm

chaosium wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:58 pm
For the price, is there a "best" bang for the buck Launchpad model for integration?
I have a LPP Mk3, but asked (and received) a Mini Mk3 for Christmas, and it has been perfect for Vector, allowing me to use the Pro for computer task :) If you just want to use it with Vector and dont mind the small size, the Mini is ace!

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:48 pm

FWIW, Jim often recommends the mini. At some point Vector may be able to take advantage of the velocity sensitivity of the larger LPs.

chaosium
Wiggling with Experience

Post by chaosium » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:00 pm

nexgen23 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:26 pm
chaosium wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:58 pm
For the price, is there a "best" bang for the buck Launchpad model for integration?
I have a LPP Mk3, but asked (and received) a Mini Mk3 for Christmas, and it has been perfect for Vector, allowing me to use the Pro for computer task :) If you just want to use it with Vector and dont mind the small size, the Mini is ace!
Cool! I'm trying to keep semi-dawless with this in the meantime but I'm sure my Pro would do super well, maybe I'll just move it back and forth between the bedroom studio and my boring DAW system :p
Zymos wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:48 pm
FWIW, Jim often recommends the mini. At some point Vector may be able to take advantage of the velocity sensitivity of the larger LPs.
I'm not expecting the feature to come immediately, of course.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:09 pm

Or ever- no guarantees! The mini is perfect for me, I just use it as a remote, not for entering notes, so velocity isn’t important anyway.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:31 pm

Zymos wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:09 pm
Or ever- no guarantees! The mini is perfect for me, I just use it as a remote, not for entering notes, so velocity isn’t important anyway.
Haha- latest beta just posted adds velocity sensitive grid recording.

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:35 pm

Yes! Can't wait to try it. I'm also hoping this update fixes an issue I am having with intellijel's 1U MIDI module crashing Vector...
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
FS/T: Goike 12u/104hp Bamboo/Aluminum Folding Case

glennfin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by glennfin » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:02 am

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger one one of these, I just have a simple question.

Besides entering note values directly on the Vector's encoders, what other options do you have for entering notes?

Midi? CV?. 1V per Oct input?

Thanks.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:13 am

glennfin wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:02 am
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger one one of these, I just have a simple question.

Besides entering note values directly on the Vector's encoders, what other options do you have for entering notes?

Thanks.
Vector is at an awkward moment: the cusp of a pretty vast new firmware release that simultaneously changes nothing and everything. (The beta is publicly available and being updated every few weeks.)

To my knowledge, there are no updated video walkthroughs/demos for the pending 2.0 Vector firmware, as yet.

The documentation has been updated—please see the PDF link on this thread:
https://forum.five12.net/forum/eurorack ... 6-feb-2021

The short answer is that you can enter notes:
- with the encoders
- with the “keyboard” buttons
- from a MIDI source
- from a Launchpad

Note input is either some form or step input or “realtime”. As always, the devil is in the details.

glennfin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by glennfin » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:36 am

mdoudoroff wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:13 am
glennfin wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:02 am

Thanks.
Vector is at an awkward moment: the cusp of a pretty vast new firmware release that simultaneously changes nothing and everything. (The beta is publicly available and being updated every few weeks.)

To my knowledge, there are no updated video walkthroughs/demos for the pending 2.0 Vector firmware, as yet.

The documentation has been updated—please see the PDF link on this thread:
https://forum.five12.net/forum/eurorack ... 6-feb-2021

The short answer is that you can enter notes:
- with the encoders
- with the “keyboard” buttons
- from a MIDI source
- from a Launchpad

Note input is either some form or step input or “realtime”. As always, the devil is in the details.
Thanks very much for the quick reply. So much functionality, so much to absorb... time to read for a few hours. :eek:
When you mention "the devil is in the details" are you referring to realtime input? vs step input? or just bugs in general.. I'm very interested in realtime input.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:45 am

glennfin wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:36 am
When you mention "the devil is in the details" are you referring to realtime input? vs step input? or just bugs in general.. I'm very interested in realtime input.
Yeah, workflow and the nuances. Other folks here (and maybe on the Five12 forum) are highly attuned to these other methods. I can’t help you much with any of this because, so far, my interest in note input has never extended beyond the encoders.

glennfin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by glennfin » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:33 am

mdoudoroff wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:45 am
glennfin wrote:
Yeah, workflow and the nuances. Other folks here (and maybe on the Five12 forum) are highly attuned to these other methods. I can’t help you much with any of this because, so far, my interest in note input has never extended beyond the encoders.
Thanks Martin, and thanks for the sequencer comparison which I just checked out for the first time....very helpful. 8-)

nexgen23
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nexgen23 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:13 pm

glennfin wrote:

Thanks very much for the quick reply. So much functionality, so much to absorb... time to read for a few hours. :eek:
You can do real time input with the Launchpad as well (and other MIDI devices also).

Stoneyards
Common Wiggler

Post by Stoneyards » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:22 am

Ok, for anyone on the fence about a vector, the native launchpad integration is game changing.

Launching clips and scenes.. making real time changes to drum patterns and basslines. This used to be the sequencer you programmed. Now it's something you can sketch stuff on and play live.

Jumbuktu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jumbuktu » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:02 am

Stoneyards wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:22 am
Ok, for anyone on the fence about a vector, the native launchpad integration is game changing.

Launching clips and scenes.. making real time changes to drum patterns and basslines. This used to be the sequencer you programmed. Now it's something you can sketch stuff on and play live.
Clips? I think they are called Presets in Vectorland. But you are right, adding a Launchpad is a pretty inexpensive and cost-effective expansion. At last I am likely to use all the zillions of sequence and presets that can be created.

drowld
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by drowld » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:34 am

Stoneyards wrote:

It’s from a new update ?
WTB: Intellijel Quadrax, Klangbau Twin Peak Resonator, dplr

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:41 am

The v2 firmware that includes Launchpad support is not yet shipping or included on new Vectors, but you can download and install the open betas (see the Five12 Forum, link above).

The Launchpad support is, indeed, game-changing, because it extends the physical interface of the Vector. Vector’s knobs and buttons were quite well thought-out for the core scope of the sequencer (editing its Numerology-like monophonic sequences) but as the scope of Vector’s functionality has expanded, that interface has getting stretched pretty thin. Launchpad support helps fabulously in some ways (navigation, preset/scene launching) and less in others (e.g., copy/paste, which still require new button combos on the original interface, settings menus have gotten out of hand). Launchpad also provides Launchpad-esque grid-based physical interfaces for various new features that would have been impossible on the Vector hardware.

glennfin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by glennfin » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:02 am

Stoneyards wrote:

Sooooo.... let me get this straight. I'm not familiar with the launchpad. Is this basically a MIDI controller?
Could a midi keyboard do the same thing? Or maybe my Akai drum pad midi controller? (MPD26)
I assume with the launchpad you map buttons to midi CC's or note values?. Also, i see the launchpad is USB only..no Din.

Looks interesting but I'm wondering what's different about launchpad vs other midi controllers.
PS... in my application, this is strictly modular, not interested in interfacing to Ableton or daw, etc
That may be one reason for the launchpad suggestion?

Thanks. The Vector with expansion is a somewhat large investment... just want to make sure it's the right choice.

vilovisp
Common Wiggler

Post by vilovisp » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:29 am

Hi to all its me again with another vector horror story .
The vector is stopping alone constantly with pamela and with es 3
i try adjusting the levels of the signal but still same im desperate im so sad i was so unlucky with vector had million problems first sync then these.
any help?
all the love for all of you

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:34 am

glennfin wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:02 am
Sooooo.... let me get this straight. I'm not familiar with the launchpad. Is this basically a MIDI controller?
Could a midi keyboard do the same thing? Or maybe my Akai drum pad midi controller? (MPD26)
I assume with the launchpad you map buttons to midi CC's or note values?. Also, i see the launchpad is USB only..no Din.

Looks interesting but I'm wondering what's different about launchpad vs other midi controllers.
PS... in my application, this is strictly modular, not interested in interfacing to Ableton or daw, etc
That may be one reason for the launchpad suggestion?

If you look at the v2 manual, you’ll find a set of pages near the end that details what you can use a Launchpad for if it’s plugged straight into the Vector’s USB port. For those purposes, only a Launchpad will do. It’s all optional, but some of us are digging it.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:53 am

vilovisp wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:29 am
Hi to all its me again with another vector horror story .
The vector is stopping alone constantly with pamela and with es 3
i try adjusting the levels of the signal but still same im desperate im so sad i was so unlucky with vector had million problems first sync then these.
any help?
all the love for all of you
Honestly, this is not much of a horror story, yet. You haven’t clearly described what is actually happening, under what exact circumstances, or even what firmware you’re running. Nobody can help you much at this point.

vilovisp
Common Wiggler

Post by vilovisp » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:42 am

i had some problems before with the rc24 bug that why i mention a horror story but im begging is just me being silly , AMAZING videos bro by the way , sorry for the apoliptic statement

scragz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by scragz » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:15 am

Would be so nice to use the buttons on my Linnstrument instead of buying a Launchpad but I doubt it's ever going to be supported.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:39 am

scragz wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:15 am
Would be so nice to use the buttons on my Linnstrument instead of buying a Launchpad but I doubt it's ever going to be supported.
The most likely scenario for that would be if the Linnstrument gained a Launchpad emulation mode.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”