FIVE12 Eurorack Vector Sequencer Teaser

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: FIVE12 Eurorack Vector Sequencer Teaser

Post by Sinamsis » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:22 pm

I'm an idiot... this is in the manual, and this is likely your problem:

RESET: Sets the sequence to reset automatically, every n beats, or externally (EXT). For external reset, see Tips & Tricks on page 16.

This is in the control page of the part. You probably have it left at auto, you need to adjust it to the correct number of beats.

joskery
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joskery » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:36 am

Just want to say thanks for all the help - my Vector is on its way!

Now to decide whether to pair it with the expander or a shuttle control...

yrn1
Common Wiggler

Post by yrn1 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:19 am

joskery wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:36 am
Now to decide whether to pair it with the expander or a shuttle control...
I pair mine with a FH-2 and am very happy with it. I think it offers more flexibility than the expander: you can e.g. generate envelopes instead of just gates. Glide doesn’t work directly though. You need to use a CC instead and that’s not so obvious and direct as when using the outs on the vector.
Last edited by yrn1 on Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:03 pm

I use the trigger outs on the expander extensively, I don't know how I lived without it. (Well, I didn't have a choice, Jim was building everything as fast as he could and trying to fill orders). And now with Drum Mode....

joskery
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joskery » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:42 pm

Zymos wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:03 pm
I use the trigger outs on the expander extensively, I don't know how I lived without it. (Well, I didn't have a choice, Jim was building everything as fast as he could and trying to fill orders). And now with Drum Mode....
I got the idea that with something like the Shuttle Control, you can still use the drum tracks, it’s just a matter of making the mappings.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:21 pm

Oh, I'm not saying it's required, just so convenient.

joskery
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joskery » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:44 pm

Ah, gotcha. Yes, it does seem very nice :cloud:

Really looking forward to the Vector, seems like a very live-jammable sequencer. Maybe even the live-jammable sequencer.

yrn1
Common Wiggler

Post by yrn1 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:57 pm

joskery wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:44 pm
Really looking forward to the Vector, seems like a very live-jammable sequencer. Maybe even the live-jammable sequencer.
It definitely is!

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:52 pm

It is, but with all the chance ops and then the sub seqs (set to different odd lengths especially), I like to set it loose and let it do its own thing!

MikeLeeBirds
Common Wiggler

Post by MikeLeeBirds » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:18 am

Has anyone paired Vector with the Polyend Poly 2?

I‘d love to have the Poly to be able to use all kinds of other sequencer, iOS, hardware, computer, etc.
I know Poly will work with Vector as a simple Midi to CV interface, but was wondering if the new drum mode will work as well.
Poly and the Vector expander are quite alike in terms of outputs and that‘s what got me thinking.

The gate-in functionality is exclusive to the expander as the Poly only has outputs, but being able to use the aforementioned other gear with my modular would be wonderful.

Ok, who‘ll be the first to say „buy both“? 😉

joskery
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joskery » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:39 pm

Buy bo—- the consensus seems to be that most features are usable with just a regular midi/cv module - the only thing so far, I think, is that the five12 expander’s trigger outs can also act as trigger ins, so they can be used to advance the 8 sequences, 101-style.

kesserich
Common Wiggler

Post by kesserich » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:15 pm

Sinamsis wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:22 pm
I'm an idiot... this is in the manual, and this is likely your problem:

RESET: Sets the sequence to reset automatically, every n beats, or externally (EXT). For external reset, see Tips & Tricks on page 16.

This is in the control page of the part. You probably have it left at auto, you need to adjust it to the correct number of beats.
I finally got it working! I had to set the PQNT value on the 3rd control page. It was defaulting to 'bar' which meant the playlist wouldn't move on to the next present until the 'bar' was finished. You can switch to N beats or even turn it off altogether. So you can do shit like play Preset 1 for 3 beats and then switch to Preset 2 for 1 beat and then loop back to Preset 3.

Pretty neat. Thanks for your help!

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:01 pm

Nice! It's a super powerful sequencer, enjoy!

OHEXOH
Common Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:31 am

Yes my bad, on my post on the previous page I meant “can’t”. I edited the post for future clarity.

The expander for me comes into its own by being able to bring gate/trigger signals which can in turn be used to step through sequences. So good!
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

MikeLeeBirds
Common Wiggler

Post by MikeLeeBirds » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:59 am

Quick question: can I use Vector as a simple Midi to CV interface?

joskery
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joskery » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:17 am

MikeLeeBirds wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:59 am
AFAIK it's currently pretty limited. You have to be in some 'REC' mode (don't yet know what that implies, exactly) to get one channel to echo through. A revamp of these features is in progress according to the developer, but this is the current state.

(Edit: I decided to go for a Shuttle Control, as it affords a lot of flexibility with devices other than the Vector, while sacrificing little Vector functionality)

MikeLeeBirds
Common Wiggler

Post by MikeLeeBirds » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:03 am

joskery wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:17 am
MikeLeeBirds wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:59 am
AFAIK it's currently pretty limited. You have to be in some 'REC' mode (don't yet know what that implies, exactly) to get one channel to echo through. A revamp of these features is in progress according to the developer, but this is the current state.

(Edit: I decided to go for a Shuttle Control, as it affords a lot of flexibility with devices other than the Vector, while sacrificing little Vector functionality)
Thanks!
That’s indeed how I thought it works, with the rec mode. That does not seem practical at the moment. Especially if that only works for a single channel.
I‘m still undecided as to whether I should go with the Vector expander or the Poly 2 (which works kind of like the Shuttle Control I assume).

It would be great added functionality if there was a simple Midi to CV mode on Vector, such as with the Westlicht Performer and Squarp Hermod.

joskery
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joskery » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:44 am

Hmm. Just got it, seems great, but I don’t know how to reset a 7-step sequence to match with 4/4 sequences. If I set one sequence to /16 rate, start 1, len 7, and reset to 4, it will drift in and out of sync. It’s almost as if there are two resets happening. I tried the PQNT setting, too, but that didn’t help... any ideas? Does this work for others?

Edit: reading from the manual, PQNT shouldn’t really help.

yrn1
Common Wiggler

Post by yrn1 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:47 pm

joskery wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:44 am
...it will drift in and out of sync. It’s almost as if there are two resets happening.
I had similar behavior. But it seems to be fixed in the latest firmware (1.4.0 and above). Didn’t test it a lot though.

joskery
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joskery » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:49 pm

Thank you, yes. That fixed it.

Now there's another a bit odd behavior. When using the 'jump to' chance operators, for instance having a 50% chance that step 1 will jump to step 5 in a 8-step sequence: The sequencer first plays what sounds like a 1/32 version of the regular 1st step (set to 1/16) before jumping to step 5. This obviously unsyncs the entire sequence.

EDIT: Wow, also the 'transpose -' operators from -9 through to -12 don't do anything, at least with MIDI OUT 1 as the output...

Hmm, was kind of hoping there wouldn't be too much of these, but maybe I'm missing something..
Last edited by joskery on Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yrn1
Common Wiggler

Post by yrn1 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:01 pm

There is at least one other similar occurrence of this: when using a subsequencer to change the start position, it also gets out of sync.

joskery
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joskery » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:58 pm

Is the current maximum sequence length 16 steps?

Naenyn
Common Wiggler

Post by Naenyn » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:03 pm

joskery wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:58 pm
I recently got one and was messing with that last night. I was able to set the sequence length longer than 16 (I didn't see what the max was) .. but strangely, when I then used the generate function, it'd only come up with a new random 16 step sequence.. leaving all the other steps I added alone. Probably user error, but still strange.
-n :ninja:

My for sale thread
My generative / synth eurorack on Modulargrid
1U Tile Rack | 60hp Overflow Pod
You can also find me on MuffWiggler's Discord

joskery
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joskery » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:07 pm

Naenyn wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:03 pm
joskery wrote:
I recently got one and was messing with that last night. I was able to set the sequence length longer than 16 (I didn't see what the max was) .. but strangely, when I then used the generate function, it'd only come up with a new random 16 step sequence.. leaving all the other steps I added alone. Probably user error, but still strange.
I couldn't get the sequence length to be longer than 16 steps from the 'Control' page... Have to say, my first hours with this thing have been very disorienting. EDIT: It's probably set from the "Parts" page, separately, and then you have to adjust it from the control page? I think so.

Audiodaan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Audiodaan » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:10 pm

joskery wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:07 pm
Naenyn wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:03 pm
joskery wrote:
I couldn't get the sequence length to be longer than 16 steps from the 'Control' page... Have to say, my first hours with this thing have been very disorienting.
Don't have it in front of me but I think the max is 64. You have to set the max allowed steps of a part somewhere in the global menu I think before you can dial them on the actual part. The manual has info on this.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”