FIVE12 Eurorack Vector Sequencer Teaser

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

joskery
Wiggling with Experience

Re: FIVE12 Eurorack Vector Sequencer Teaser

Post by joskery » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:11 pm

Thanks for the advice! Fumbling, so far, but glad to have kind people on here to help me :cloud:

Audiodaan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Audiodaan » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:17 pm

Stick with it. I remember when I first used the Vector, I wanted it to do certain things in a specific way and it was mildly frustrating. But soon things started to click and new ways of thinking and programming patterns started to reveal itself. By now I am so comfortable with it that it is just a joyful box that naturally leads to happy accidents and dynamic patterns. It is menu heavy but jammable once you get the hang of it.

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:32 pm

joskery wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:58 pm
Is the current maximum sequence length 16 steps?
No, you can set it to 64 somehow, but don't remember exactly how now. It's in the manual I think? My first few hours with it was quite confusing as well, but things started to gel after a few days, and I could use it blindfolded now. :)

chaosick
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chaosick » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:33 am

Daisuk wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:32 pm
joskery wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:58 pm
Is the current maximum sequence length 16 steps?
No, you can set it to 64 somehow, but don't remember exactly how now. It's in the manual I think? My first few hours with it was quite confusing as well, but things started to gel after a few days, and I could use it blindfolded now. :)
It's in the global per track controls. It's usually the first thing I do when starting a new project. On a related note, the new custom chord mode and drum modes are pretty awesome..just a quick phone video of custom chord mode on a vermona perfourmer I shot the other day:

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:37 am

Chord mode is ace! I have track 7 out via the midi out hooked up to my behringer deepmind, and have the audio out of that going back into the system. It's excellent! :)

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:36 am

Daisuk wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:37 am
Chord mode is ace! I have track 7 out via the midi out hooked up to my behringer deepmind, and have the audio out of that going back into the system. It's excellent! :)
Ha I definitely do that and it’s super fun. I sat down with my DM12 for the first time in a while yesterday. I forgot how great it is.

AbundantChoice
Common Wiggler

Post by AbundantChoice » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:41 am

I've been having a blast with my Vector over the last month; the drum tracks are so useful and I've really gotten comfortable with the sub-sequencers and chance operators to add both life and movement to both melody, pad, and percussion lines. So great.

But... super dumb question. I seem to have somehow permanently disabled Part 1. I can select it, program it, etc, but no matter what I do it stays "dimmed" and won't output anything. Diving through every menu I can't figure out why this is or how I did it: it's not a routing thing, the various mute commands don't seem to undo it, etc. Is there some sort of "erase every single user-controlled saved anything and go back to the raw installed firmware" button combo? I didn't see it in the manual.

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:54 pm

AbundantChoice wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:41 am
I've been having a blast with my Vector over the last month; the drum tracks are so useful and I've really gotten comfortable with the sub-sequencers and chance operators to add both life and movement to both melody, pad, and percussion lines. So great.

But... super dumb question. I seem to have somehow permanently disabled Part 1. I can select it, program it, etc, but no matter what I do it stays "dimmed" and won't output anything. Diving through every menu I can't figure out why this is or how I did it: it's not a routing thing, the various mute commands don't seem to undo it, etc. Is there some sort of "erase every single user-controlled saved anything and go back to the raw installed firmware" button combo? I didn't see it in the manual.
This happened to me the first day I had mine too. I'm not entirely sure what caused it, but starting a new project worked. I believe it had something to do with the shift/skip command.

veets
Wiggling with Experience

Post by veets » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:30 pm

I love this sequencer, but I'd sure appreciate a brain boost from one or more of you experts to help me with a programming question.

I've created two six-step sequences, each of which is saved as a preset (default names A01 and A02). I love that I can flip between the two by simply pressing the button's associated with each preset. However, what I'd really like to do is automatically rotate between A01 playing X times followed by A02 playing Y times, repeat ad infinitum.

Any suggestions or pointers? :hail:

abdul6
Common Wiggler

Post by abdul6 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:53 pm

@veets

select a part
-> preset/ scene
-> select a preset and push edit button
then edit play for...etc
of course you have to enable playlist

veets
Wiggling with Experience

Post by veets » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:00 pm

abdul6 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:53 pm
@veets

select a part
-> preset/ scene
then edit play for...etc
Thank you. I'll give it a shot.

veets
Wiggling with Experience

Post by veets » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:30 am

veets wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:00 pm
abdul6 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:53 pm
@veets

select a part
-> preset/ scene
then edit play for...etc
Thank you. I'll give it a shot.
Worked! Thank you, abdul6. So much still to learn about this device.

OHEXOH
Common Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:17 pm

AbundantChoice wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:41 am

it might that in Parts view you had it set to Mute at some point. You can change the function of the keyboard when in Part view to Skip/Mute/Select. Press Shift + the required keyboard note and unmute.

Hopefully this is it.
Last edited by OHEXOH on Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

tardwash
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tardwash » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:00 am

I was trying my hardest not to be tempted by the NAMM videos, but just caved by ordering the Vector. I’ve been wanting knobby sequencer for a while that will work for midi and euro. I looked at the Pioneer Squid, which has some scaled back functionality similar to what I was seeking. I actually found a pretty slick setup using a M4L patch modeled after the Rene that I mapped to my Launchpad Pro.... any way, my question is how does the Vector compare to the Cirklon feature-wise? I understand that it limited in the number of tracks it can sequence compared to the Cirklon. I’m just wondering if they share any similarities?

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re:

Post by Sinamsis » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:50 am

Sinamsis wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:38 pm
joskery wrote:Can anyone compare the Cirklon and Vector? I'm curious about how they compare – although I maybe shouldn't :doh: The Cirklon is pretty much all-powerful, but it's fairly heavily front-loaded in that any 'jammability' you want, you're going to have to build yourself beforehand. The Vector seems more immediate in that regard.
I have both. I'm keeping both. Cirklon is probably more flexible. Vector is more immediate. Both are fantastic and I enjoy the UI of both (though the Cirklon is obviously more feature packed and hence more buried features). I find both fairly intuitive. The price point is a massive difference, as is availability. But so are the IO, and not everyone may need that degree of connectivity and dedicated ports. I really really love both honestly, and use them together most of the time.

I've commented several times in this thread already regarding this. It's a few pages back.

joskery
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joskery » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:06 pm

For me, it seems like Vector is the more accessible, pared-down Cirklon.

You can probably do almost everything the Vector does with the Cirklon, just fine. It's just that the (more limited) options the Vector offers, are on offer in a quick format. For instance, ratcheting has its individual page, whereas on the Cirklon, it's a matter of configuring two different variables before you get to adding ratchets.

On the other hand, the general usability of the Cirklon is just a well-oiled machine. Mutes, duplicates, crafting a progression of patterns, it's all great. The live performance options are great, too, after you've done some prepping beforehand. That prepping I wouldn't mind doing away with, and if the Vector gets some bugs squashed and some options added, still, I think FOR ME it could be a good alternative to the Cirklon, along with Elektron sequencing.

If I just had sound modules, I'd probably just use them and the Cirklon and call it a day, but since the bulk of my sound-making setup is two Elektrons, I'm kind of feeling redundant with all the sequencing available. The plan is to see how far Elektron sequencing and Vector take me, and if I could do away with the Cirklon (blasphemous, yes)

chaosick
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chaosick » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:15 pm

joskery wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:06 pm

You can probably do almost everything the Vector does with the Cirklon, just fine. It's just that the (more limited) options the Vector offers, are on offer in a quick format. For instance, ratcheting has its individual page, whereas on the Cirklon, it's a matter of configuring two different variables before you get to adding ratchets.

On the other hand, the general usability of the Cirklon is just a well-oiled machine. Mutes, duplicates, crafting a progression of patterns, it's all great. The live performance options are great, too, after you've done some prepping beforehand. That prepping I wouldn't mind doing away with, and if the Vector gets some bugs squashed and some options added, still, I think FOR ME it could be a good alternative to the Cirklon, along with Elektron sequencing.

If I just had sound modules, I'd probably just use them and the Cirklon and call it a day, but since the bulk of my sound-making setup is two Elektrons, I'm kind of feeling redundant with all the sequencing available. The plan is to see how far Elektron sequencing and Vector take me, and if I could do away with the Cirklon (blasphemous, yes)
Nobody seems to have stated one obvious benefit to the Vector that, as eurorack sequencer, it is actually more..modular? As far as I understand on cirklon, there's no external in modulation? You can't do things like what I was doing in the video I posted, like use pressure to send voltage to track(s) within Vector to externally modulate parameters, correct? That's pretty awesome to me, it's the next step of control, composition ,etc. that we need to treat this format like a real instrument.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:02 pm

Posting this because a) it’s just a good, fairly concise overview of Vector for people that don’t know what it’s about, and b) it shows the upcoming Launchpad support, which may be of interest.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:52 pm

chaosick wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:15 pm
joskery wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:06 pm

Nobody seems to have stated one obvious benefit to the Vector that, as eurorack sequencer, it is actually more..modular? As far as I understand on cirklon, there's no external in modulation? You can't do things like what I was doing in the video I posted, like use pressure to send voltage to track(s) within Vector to externally modulate parameters, correct? That's pretty awesome to me, it's the next step of control, composition ,etc. that we need to treat this format like a real instrument.
I think I did mention this in one of my posts. The Cirklon with CVIO option does have input possibility (the I). I do believe it’s implementation is rudimentary at this point, transpose only IIRC. It’s in beta, but so are a ton of features. The real down side is any features added over the past couple years, though working well, are not documented in the manual. Anyways the CV input options at this point are greater on the Vector. And yes, immediacy is where the Vector wins over the Cirklon. The complicated features it does have are well implemented and are usually a knob or button press away.

As a side note I came to the Cirklon from the Elektron workflow, which I liked for the most part except several maddening features. The biggest was independent clock divisions per track and lack of note repeat over MIDI. I also have a ton of external gear so it seemed like the best choice. I’ve not regretted the decision. For me the Vector will never be a replacement. Even just based off of available tracks and less IO. BUT it’s a great solution in the rack and lets me take my case with me without needing any external sequencing.

Aiyn Zahev
Common Wiggler

Post by Aiyn Zahev » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:55 pm

Speaking strictly of the sequencer part, are there any opinions on this vs the Ekektron sequencer? Analog 4 for example. I’m aware generally of the things vector can do that it can’t, but in typical use is there a significant difference in how they inspire? Is one easier and more fun than the other?

The vector appeals to me with its more detailed probability settings, in fact that’s a dream come true, but the A4 is an entire synth and it’s not far off in price, and also has a pretty cool sequencer, though is been a while now since I last had one.

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:07 pm

Aiyn Zahev wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:55 pm
Speaking strictly of the sequencer part, are there any opinions on this vs the Ekektron sequencer? Analog 4 for example. I’m aware generally of the things vector can do that it can’t, but in typical use is there a significant difference in how they inspire? Is one easier and more fun than the other?

The vector appeals to me with its more detailed probability settings, in fact that’s a dream come true, but the A4 is an entire synth and it’s not far off in price, and also has a pretty cool sequencer, though is been a while now since I last had one.
The Vector feels waaaaay more flexible, in my opinion. The sub sequencers are a god send, I absolutely love them. Direction settings, different speed settings per track, a much better "arrangement" mode, dashboard mode is great for performance (and a lot less fiddly to setup than A4's performance mode).

Aiyn Zahev
Common Wiggler

Post by Aiyn Zahev » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:30 pm

Daisuk wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:07 pm
Aiyn Zahev wrote:

The Vector feels waaaaay more flexible, in my opinion. The sub sequencers are a god send, I absolutely love them. Direction settings, different speed settings per track, a much better "arrangement" mode, dashboard mode is great for performance (and a lot less fiddly to setup than A4's performance mode).
Thanks for the feedback. I need those sub sequencers in my life.

kesserich
Common Wiggler

Post by kesserich » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:49 pm

Aiyn Zahev wrote:

From a sequencer perspective, the vector is way more powerful than the electron stuff. One of the reasons I ended up selling my octatrack was because i couldn't send the damn thing a drunk clock. I think pLocks were cutting edge back in the 90's but i feel like there's been a lot of new sequencers coming out recently.

BlackDoors
Common Wiggler

Post by BlackDoors » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:37 pm

Vector, Cirklon and elektron all have their positives for me, but one of the most unique things about the Vector is some of the views that let you adjust all the parts simultaneously but individually. For example, you can call up a view where you can adjust octave shifts for all 8 parts simultaneously using 8 different knobs.

Similarly the Vector’s scene view is amazing and lets you cue pattern changes across different parts simultaneously very easily and smoothly.

For live arranging as part of a performance, it’s amazing.

John

tardwash
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tardwash » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:40 pm

I appreciate the feedback re: Cirklon vs Vector. Is anyone using the Vector with the Mutant Brain? I don’t really have the dough to shell out for the expander. I have lots of random bits around the studio that to midi to cv like an Akai Force, System 8 and OP-Z with the Oplab module.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”