FIVE12 Eurorack Vector Sequencer Teaser

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: FIVE12 Eurorack Vector Sequencer Teaser

Post by mdoudoroff » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:52 am

nexgen23 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:34 am
Can someone compare the Vector to the Eloquencer please?
Vector is a pitch and gate sequencer with a trigger/gate sequencer tacked on.
Eloquencer is a trigger/gate sequencer with pitch sequencing tacked on.

(That’s only partly a joke.)

Eloquencer offers an quasi-x0x-style workflow. It has eight tracks, but they’re all tightly ganged together in 16 step blocks. Vector has two pitch/gate/mod tracks expandable to six, but they’re not ganged together, individual steps can be variable length, and subsequences are available to further vary the behavior and “length” of a track. Vector is more in a family with USTA and Cirklon. Eloquencer is more in a family with stuff like the Audio Damage Sequencer 1, if you squint.

You gotta watch the tutorial videos (over and over) and try to grok the workflows. One is likely to appeal to you more than the other.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:06 am

Just to clarify- Vector actually has 8 tracks (“parts”), though it is true that only 6 can be actual physical cv/gate outputs- the others can be output through MIDI.

bc3
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bc3 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:25 am

They are both sequencers.

I have tried most all of the major players in the sequencer category over the last few years.
Workflow is specific to the user and goals but for me the Vector from Five12 is without a doubt the best to date.

Jumbuktu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jumbuktu » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:47 pm

One knob for each step plus a general knob beats a single knob for everything, plus 2 screens with detail for every step beats one screen. I had an Eloquencer but sold it fairly quickly. It's not a bad sequencer but the Vector workflow is near perfect for me.

yrn1
Common Wiggler

Post by yrn1 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:49 pm

I wonder how it compares to USTA, wrt live sequencing usability.

bc3
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bc3 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:55 pm

yrn1 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:49 pm
Sold my USTA for the Vector, WAY better workflow for me on every front.

Tomorrow Sounds Good
Common Wiggler

Post by Tomorrow Sounds Good » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:02 pm

Jumbuktu wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:47 pm
One knob for each step plus a general knob beats a single knob for everything, plus 2 screens with detail for every step beats one screen. I had an Eloquencer but sold it fairly quickly. It's not a bad sequencer but the Vector workflow is near perfect for me.

Yeah I did exactly the same , my sequencer search is well and truly over . Love the Vector :sb:

multimas
Learning to Wiggle

Post by multimas » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:06 am

Just a question before you can order it, is the additional patch bay very important? i still have a small setup and no external midi tools, i can wait to buy it later?

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:37 am

Just realize that without the expander and not using MIDI, you’ll only be able to use 2 parts. A MIDI to CV module can somewhat substitute for the expander though.

2 parts can still be a lot though....

multimas
Learning to Wiggle

Post by multimas » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:45 am

Zymos wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:37 am
Thanks as I thought, I will start like this and then you will see, with the economic disaster of these times I've to be very careful about expenses.

evileye0702
Ultra Wiggler

Post by evileye0702 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:52 pm

My biggest reason for ditching my Eloquencer and moving to the Vector 12 was the bigger/better displays. It was huge advantage to these old tired eyes. Now that I've started working with the Vector, I much prefer working with it.

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:05 am

bc3 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:25 am
They are both sequencers.

I have tried most all of the major players in the sequencer category over the last few years.
Workflow is specific to the user and goals but for me the Vector from Five12 is without a doubt the best to date.
Same here. Its a joy to use.

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:25 pm

Daisuk wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:22 pm
]

Report it to the Jim, maybe he can fix it. :)
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

Wubz
Common Wiggler

Post by Wubz » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:34 am

Super helpful, thanks so much.
Daisuk wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:21 pm
Five12 Vector Sequencer - Shuttle Control integration preset file

So here's a preset file for the Shuttle Control module to integrate with the Vector sequencer. This will give you two additional voices (with pitch, gate and velocity) as well as a MIDI channel dedicated to a drum part, where each drum voice has its own velocity.

Instructions:
- Connect your Shuttle Control to your Mac or PC
- Open the Cargo3 Editor - https://endorphin.es/cargo3/
- Click "open file" and select the file provided in this post
- Click "write preset" and check on your module whichever preset is active (this is the one that will be written to)
- Disconnect from the PC
- Connect your Shuttle Control to your Vector from the Vector's "To Device" USB port into the Shuttle Control's "To device" USB port (yes, you read that correctly).
- You might want to reset your system at this point (might not be necessary)
- On your Vector - go to global and make part 5 (or whichever you want) a drum type part.
- Click global again, scroll with encoder 9 to "USB A - To Device" and set the following:

CH1 - Part 3
CH 2 - Part 4
CH 4 - Part 5
CH 3 - Part 6

- The two additional voices will be located on output 1-3 (voice 1) and 4-6 (voice 2) on the Shuttle Control. The drum voices will be located on outputs 9-16 (with every other output the velocity output for the trigger output before it).
- Part 6 (or channel 3 on the Shuttle) are assigned two separate v/oct outputs. I've not figured out how to make use of them yet, but I imagine you might be able to use them with a chord part somehow, for instance.
- That's it!

Download the preset here:
http://marsmelons.com/muffs/Five12-ShuttleControl.mid

Jumbuktu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jumbuktu » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:29 am

Zymos wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:37 am
Just realize that without the expander and not using MIDI, you’ll only be able to use 2 parts. A MIDI to CV module can somewhat substitute for the expander though.

No, you can use as many parts as you want, the only restriction is only two sets of CV/Gate outputs. So you can have 6 parts controlling separately CV, gate and velocity, all different lengths.

AbundantChoice
Common Wiggler

Post by AbundantChoice » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:51 pm

yrn1 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:49 pm
That was my final cross-shop as well, luckily I had a friend who had sold an Eloquencer for an USTA so I was able to try the USTA out for a bit before going with the Vector. They're both great; both are great because they free you from the "every step has to be the same length" rigidity of most other sequencers. Both are pretty good at generating (and controlling!) randomness and chance elements to breathe life into things; I think the Vector is a bit more powerful here both in terms of breadth as well as granular control, but the USTA is no slouch.

So one advantage the USTA has is if you're using 16 steps you can "see" all 16 at once around the ring, while the Vector can only show 8 at a time. I also found the "stage loop" method of repeating sub-sections of patterns slightly more intuitive than doing the same thing on the Vector.

One huge advantage of the Vector are the two sub-sequencers; they're not just useful for planning stuff out but can be a godsend when doing anything live. The subsequencers don't seem like they'd be that amazing on paper, but they're an absolute gamechanger for workflow and I can't imagine ever going back to a sequencer without them now. It's amazing how you can generate some incredibly complex and evolving melodic sequences (that still sound musical) with a *very* basic sequence, some chance ops, and clever use of the subsequencers.

I also found the amount of inputs & outputs a bit better on the Vector (with the Expander), and the fact that it seamlessly speaks pretty much any sort of MIDI you want in addition to CV means that it's no big hassle to get it talking to synths, keyboards, other gear etc. It can sequence a desktop synth, or drum machine, or whatever, just as easily as a modular rig.

Cpaf
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Cpaf » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:43 pm

Can anyone compare the Vector to the wmd Metron and the endorphine.es Ground Control - thoughts?

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:25 pm

Cpaf wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:43 pm
Can anyone compare the Vector to the wmd Metron and the endorphine.es Ground Control - thoughts?
Sure.

Vector is a Eurorack adaptation of Numerology, with a Cirklon-esque user interface. Vector is primarily about melodic sequencing, but has an evolving percussion sequencing feature. Vector offers significant MIDI functionality in addition to modular CV. Loopop did an excellent overview on YouTube of what it is and how it operates.

Metron is a sophisticated gate sequencer. It’s just about triggers and gates. Great for percussion sequencing and temporal patch control. The Voltera expanders for Metron add per step CV sequencing channels, quantized or not, but they are quite simple. Metron has nothing to do with MIDI. WMD has provided an outstanding collection of videos on YouTube that serve as tutorials for pretty much every aspect of these tools.

Ground Control is an unfinished, unreleased, undocumented product. Everything that is known about it is on three or four videos on YouTube (search on “endorphin.es ground control”). It looks like it will be in some ways simpler, more “groove box”-oriented, and more direct than Vector. Punching in patterns with the built-in keyboard (or with a MIDI device) seems pretty core to its operation. Ground Control will have some MIDI functionality. Endorphin.es will probably announce more about the product in coming weeks/months.

Basically, they’re all sequencers, but they have little in common other than superficialities.

Tonefloat01
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tonefloat01 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:16 pm

So, only two sets of CV outputs(Pitch, Gate, Velocity) on this sequencer for $700?
I’m assuming the other 6 tracks are for MIDI then?
And if I spend $359 more I get four more sets of CV?
That’s $1059 and only 6 sets of CV...
The space you occupy determines the time that you live in.

Naenyn
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Naenyn » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:45 pm

Totally worth it to me. Great functionality, tons of options, easy to use.
-n :ninja:

My racks on ModularGrid
Find me on MuffWiggler's Discord

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:16 am

Very much worth it if you can afford it. I use it with a Shuttle Control instead of an expander and can assign the extra outputs as I wish - very handy. Hands down the best sequencer in eurorack yet, in my opinion, and I've been through a few. Very intuitive and feature rich. Fun to use. I love it and don't miss any of my former sequencers at all.

yrn1
Common Wiggler

Post by yrn1 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:39 am

I use mine with an Expert Sleepers FH-2 as expander. Very flexible combination. Wouldn’t want to trade it for anything.

modulator_esp
schizophonic!

Post by modulator_esp » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:32 pm

I've just bought one purely for standalone MIDI sequencing and wondered if anyone could recommend a skiff and suitable PSU
I just like weird music and adventures in sound - gear for sale

Naenyn
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Naenyn » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:44 pm

modulator_esp wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:32 pm
I've just bought one purely for standalone MIDI sequencing and wondered if anyone could recommend a skiff and suitable PSU
You might want to take a look at this video:

There is a case coming.
-n :ninja:

My racks on ModularGrid
Find me on MuffWiggler's Discord

MikeLeeBirds
Common Wiggler

Post by MikeLeeBirds » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:03 am

modulator_esp wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:32 pm
Jim from Five12 is working on an enclosure for Vector.
Otherwise any 42hp case will do. The Pico case from Erica Synths is a perfect fit.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”