FIVE12 Eurorack Vector Sequencer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

ima_jrk
Common Wiggler

Re: FIVE12 Eurorack Vector Sequencer Teaser

Post by ima_jrk » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:16 pm

FYI - Noisebug has the vector for about $100 off and the expander for $50 off as a part of Reverb’s Labor Day sale.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:20 pm

Yes! I snagged the expander about two hours ago.

davidjames
Wiggling with Experience

Post by davidjames » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:43 pm

Chaos215bar2 wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:46 pm
Just thought I'd mention for anyone following: The Launchpad X is $50 off through the end of September. (Seems most retailers are participating.) Could be useful for anyone looking for a Launchpad to pair with Vector.
I'm having trouble deciding between the Launchpad X and the Mini mk3 for Vector, and I'll probably use it with 1010 Blackbox as well. Velocity and aftertouch on the X (as well as note mode with built in scales), but maximum portability on the Mini MK3. Anything else I'm not thinking of that might rock the boat one way or the other?

One question I asked Jim which wasn't settled just yet, is how easy it will be to flip between controlling Vector and say, one of the custom midi mappings. For example if I was going to try to flip between Vector and Blackbox in a live setup.
FS: Bargain Bin updated 8/4, EME, more
viewtopic.php?p=3062675

ben jah men
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ben jah men » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:21 pm

What am I missing in the manual for getting Midi out? I'm starting to think its my mini trs to midi dongle. Only have 1.

I've set clock to on for both outs.. ive got a well tested and used collection of midi synths setup and they all work off another midi keyboard. Then switching over to the Vector and nothing... no signal lights are even lighting on the front panels of my Pulse or MS-404. Which should light even if its an incorrect channel. Ive tried 3 din cables to make sure it wasn't that.

CV io on the Vector working just fine.

Maybe I have all the Parts except Part 1 muted or something?

Trying to Send clock out. Can I do specific midi channels? I Guess omni is fine.. how do I make sure it starts? So far TR8 is set to Omni In and I've got nothing. On Midi out 1 or 2.

Trying to send midi note etc out on Pattern 2 Midi Channel 9.. followed the guide verbatim and Ive got nothing. I see the steps lighting. Ive got gate lengths and note values input.

🤔

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:42 pm

Is it a dongle that came with Vector?

It would be helpful to see the various pages of settings. Are you on the FB group?

Clock out doesn’t have a channel. Vector starts sending out clock when you press Run. Do you have MIDI sync turned on?

ben jah men
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ben jah men » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:56 am

Hey Zymos. I joined last night. Waiting for approval.

I have sync on.

I bought it used on reverb.com. Waiting on response from seller. I do think its the wrong type of adaptor. I wasn't aware there was type A and B. I know I messaged the seller to ask if he had it and his response was something along the lines of "ill have to see of I can find it". So that at least gives some room for the wrong adaptor being "found" and packed. I ordered a 1010music adaptor from sweetwater last night.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:12 am

When I got mine, I had the adapters from the BSP sitting there so figured I’d try that instead of unwrapping the ones that came with Vector- didn’t work. So it’s quite possible you’ve got the wrong type.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:18 pm

Am I correct that the GTx mode for a trigger out (where x is one of the “regular” sequencers) just gives you the same output you get from the gate jack (like a mult)?

Chaos215bar2
Common Wiggler

Post by Chaos215bar2 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:28 pm

davidjames wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:43 pm
I'm having trouble deciding between the Launchpad X and the Mini mk3 for Vector, and I'll probably use it with 1010 Blackbox as well. Velocity and aftertouch on the X (as well as note mode with built in scales), but maximum portability on the Mini MK3. Anything else I'm not thinking of that might rock the boat one way or the other?
I went with the X for the velocity and aftertouch. The Mini was really interesting due to the size, but ultimately the features won out.

davidjames
Wiggling with Experience

Post by davidjames » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:19 am

Chaos215bar2 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:28 pm
davidjames wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:43 pm
I went with the X for the velocity and aftertouch. The Mini was really interesting due to the size, but ultimately the features won out.
I went with the LP Mini for the size. If I really miss velocity and aftertouch I’ll pick up a Pro, I figure I can make some use of the limited 4 track sequencer.
viewtopic.php?p=3062675

newrun
Common Wiggler

Post by newrun » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:43 pm

Do you normally clock the Vector externally (eg., Pam's) or use the internal clock?

skreetis
Common Wiggler

Post by skreetis » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:57 pm

newrun wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:43 pm
Do you normally clock the Vector externally (eg., Pam's) or use the internal clock?
I clock Pam’s via Vector, then sync everything else to Pam’s as needed

davidjames
Wiggling with Experience

Re: FIVE12 Eurorack Vector Sequencer

Post by davidjames » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:03 am

Metron > Pam > Vector
viewtopic.php?p=3062675

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:08 am

Interesting. I’m currently doing this:

Pam > Vector
(Pam) > Metron
(Pam) > everything else, direct or via clock divider

Am interested in pros and cons insights.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:12 am

Vector (with swing) —> Metron
Vector Jexp -> QCD-> PNW

Vokx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Vokx » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:37 am

Now that we're talking about syncing the Vector:

I have the following setup:

Ableton -> Silentway -> Expert Sleepers ES-3 = 24ppqn + Run + Reset

24ppqn + Run > Vector
24ppqn + Reset > Metron
24ppqn + Reset > MI Grids

But, while the Metron and Grids sync absolutely rock solid to the 24ppqn clock, the Vector doesn't really sync that well. My Mordax Data showed me that gates are late or early :hmm:, have unequal lengths and sometimes are missed completely :eek:.

I've tried various firmware versions, all with the same result. When using the Vector's internal clock, timing is solid.

Does anyone else experience poor syncing to external clock?

noisewreck
Wiggling with Experience

Post by noisewreck » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:59 am

Any idea when the next batch of the expander will be out?

Dark Barn
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dark Barn » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:42 pm

Vokx wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:37 am

24ppqn + Run > Vector
24ppqn + Reset > Metron

But, while the Metron and Grids sync absolutely rock solid to the 24ppqn clock, the Vector doesn't really sync that well. My Mordax Data showed me that gates are late or early :hmm:, have unequal lengths and sometimes are missed completely :eek:.

I've tried various firmware versions, all with the same result. When using the Vector's internal clock, timing is solid.

I found that Vector lags behind a tiny bit on phase when using external gates to clock it, but doesn’t have this issue with midi clock. So I go Es-3 > Pam’s and then Pexp-1 > Vector, via midi. I haven’t noticed the issue with unequal gate lengths or missing steps, except maybe the first gate on start.
I’ve been searchin’ for the dolphins in the sea

The Weak in Review - podcast in ((poetic_stere0)) Spotify YouTube

newrun
Common Wiggler

Post by newrun » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:10 pm

noisewreck wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:59 am
Any idea when the next batch of the expander will be out?
Detroit Modular said they're expecting some in a couple of weeks.

nodog
Common Wiggler

Post by nodog » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:48 pm

Cirklon dinsync to Vector for me. Seems to work fine the couple of times I tried it sofar. Had it synced to the Cirklon via usb midi before which also worked fine. Just got the expander and I now have the USB port of the Cirklon free again for other duties.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:10 pm

Vokx wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:37 am

24ppqn + Run > Vector
24ppqn + Reset > Metron

Are they all in the same case? That would rule out grounding issues. Otherwise have you tried another clock source to see if you have that issue? For instance taking close from Metron? Some modules are pickier than others in terms of analog clock signals.

Personally I've been using DIN Sync from Cirklon, and it's rock solid. MIDI works as well.

Clumsy
A Can of Worms

Post by Clumsy » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:00 pm

I use Vector as the master and clock Pam at 24ppq. I use the expander for basic clcking duties (which frees up most Pam outputs for clocked modulation). I still use Pam to reset the Sinfonion's chord sequencer because as far as I tell Vector doesn't have a single pulse on start option. I found that when I used Pam as the master in this configuration the chord sequencer seemed a bit out of sync with the Vector. Previously when recording I used a 24ppq click track to clock Pam, but I haven't recorded anything since I got the Vector so I don't know if a click track will work.

Dark Barn
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dark Barn » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:10 pm

Clumsy wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:00 pm
I use Vector as the master and clock Pam at 24ppq. I use the expander for basic clcking duties (which frees up most Pam outputs for clocked modulation). I still use Pam to reset the Sinfonion's chord sequencer because as far as I tell Vector doesn't have a single pulse on start option. I found that when I used Pam as the master in this configuration the chord sequencer seemed a bit out of sync with the Vector. Previously when recording I used a 24ppq click track to clock Pam, but I haven't recorded anything since I got the Vector so I don't know if a click track will work.
Reset at start requirement of the Sinfonion’s sequencer was a poor design choice imo, I love it but i hate this one thing about it.
I’ve been searchin’ for the dolphins in the sea

The Weak in Review - podcast in ((poetic_stere0)) Spotify YouTube

Vokx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Vokx » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:49 am

Thanks for the input all...

All is in the same case, an Intellijel 7U performance case.

I've tried to clock the Vector from the Metron, same results (Metron has 8V clocks versus the 5V from the ES-3). I removed the mult that distributes the clocks, same result. I noticed the gate drops only with a very short gate setting and 1/32 notes playing (to be precise 1/16 notes with ratchets set to 2). The unequal lengths are also most noticeable with short gate settings (and that is where the missing gates are coming from I assume). I will have to try MIDI yet, but I doubt it will improve the timing.

I will have to emphasise it's not an unworkable situation for me (apart from the missing gates), just noticed that it isn't that tight as other sequencers. I've fed some noise into a VCA and open the VCA with either the gate from the Vector or triggers from the Metron and I clearly hear a "groove" going on with the Vector (all groove settings are off, I triple checked). The sloppiness in the timing has a repetitive pattern, it's not random.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:37 am

Vokx wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:49 am
Thanks for the input all...

All is in the same case, an Intellijel 7U performance case.

I've tried to clock the Vector from the Metron, same results (Metron has 8V clocks versus the 5V from the ES-3). I removed the mult that distributes the clocks, same result. I noticed the gate drops only with a very short gate setting and 1/32 notes playing (to be precise 1/16 notes with ratchets set to 2). The unequal lengths are also most noticeable with short gate settings (and that is where the missing gates are coming from I assume). I will have to try MIDI yet, but I doubt it will improve the timing.

I will have to emphasise it's not an unworkable situation for me (apart from the missing gates), just noticed that it isn't that tight as other sequencers. I've fed some noise into a VCA and open the VCA with either the gate from the Vector or triggers from the Metron and I clearly hear a "groove" going on with the Vector (all groove settings are off, I triple checked). The sloppiness in the timing has a repetitive pattern, it's not random.

Hmmm... so I'm guessing the dropped notes are probably actually overlapping gates. Like one gate being slightly delay, and the length of that gate extending to when the next even should occur. But that is not at all what I have experienced with my Vector. Now, admittedly, some times I'm just oblivious to these issues, but this I think I would notice. I would probably contact Jim directly and see if he can help you troubleshoot. He is very responsive and incredibly helpful.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”