FIVE12 Eurorack Vector Sequencer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: FIVE12 Eurorack Vector Sequencer

Post by Sinamsis » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:40 am

Dark Barn wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:10 pm
Clumsy wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:00 pm
I use Vector as the master and clock Pam at 24ppq. I use the expander for basic clcking duties (which frees up most Pam outputs for clocked modulation). I still use Pam to reset the Sinfonion's chord sequencer because as far as I tell Vector doesn't have a single pulse on start option. I found that when I used Pam as the master in this configuration the chord sequencer seemed a bit out of sync with the Vector. Previously when recording I used a 24ppq click track to clock Pam, but I haven't recorded anything since I got the Vector so I don't know if a click track will work.
Reset at start requirement of the Sinfonion’s sequencer was a poor design choice imo, I love it but i hate this one thing about it.
I'm embarrassed to admit I've never used Sinfonion's sequencing feature.... but wouldn't a run signal be adequate to at least reset it initially and let it run? I guess if you want to create shorter sequences by resetting it every so many steps it might not work, but at least on a basic level, if it uses the rising edge of a gate to reset, then I would think a run signal going high at the beginning of a sequence should be adequate.

Dark Barn
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dark Barn » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:51 am

Sinamsis wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:40 am

I'm embarrassed to admit I've never used Sinfonion's sequencing feature.... but wouldn't a run signal be adequate to at least reset it initially and let it run? I guess if you want to create shorter sequences by resetting it every so many steps it might not work, but at least on a basic level, if it uses the rising edge of a gate to reset, then I would think a run signal going high at the beginning of a sequence should be adequate.
Yes you can but, it requires you use one of the assignable inputs, and the Sinfonion will not play step one without a reset signal, it advances to step two on the first clock received unless you reset it, and finally this is how I discovered some of the phase alignment issues in my rack, the reset signal and clock must be pretty closely aligned in order for Sinfonion to receive them correctly and trying to clock it from one clock source but reset it from another (slaved clock source) caused me some issues. Sorry for the digression in the Vector thread!
I’ve been searchin’ for the dolphins in the sea

The Weak in Review - podcast in ((poetic_stere0)) Spotify YouTube

hinterlands303
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hinterlands303 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:44 am

I've been clocking Vector with Pam's via the Run and 24ppqn outputs of the Pam's PEXP-2 expander. What I've found is that about 1/3 of the time I get a slight lag in the sequencer which I believe is caused by Pam's sending the Run and Clock signal at the exact same time when you start Pam's which means that Vector will sometimes miss the first tick of the 24ppqn clock. I also have this same issue when clocking Pam's via Ableton CV Tools and the ES-3, and I previously had it with the NerdSeq so it's not totally unique to Vector. I guess in old school DinSync connections the run signal was sent slightly before the first tick of the clock which prepped it to receive the clock and reset the sequencer (this is coming from Thomas at XOR Electronics about NerdSeq).

One solution I've found to this is to use an offset as a run signal so that Vector has received the run signal before it receives the clock. If you use this workaround you'll need to remove the run signal before restarting the sequence to get Vector to reset. Another solution when clocking via Ableton CV Tools and ES-3 I have a template where the 1st scene is blank other than a run signal sent to Pam's (and now Vector) and then the 2nd scene send the clock along with whatever else I'm sequencing via Ableton.

dykehouse
Common Wiggler

Post by dykehouse » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:40 pm

Been obsessed with this sequencer it is so wonderful! Quick question, I am using the latest firmware and if I se up part 5 to be a MIDI drum sequencer when I switch the power off and return the configuration is lost. What am I doing wrong, does this sequencer not auto save/ Thanks for any help.

dykehouse
Common Wiggler

Post by dykehouse » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:44 pm

Also is there any way to generate random pattens that are 32 measures long automatically, or do you have to randomize each section via the scrolling through the pages? Also is there any way to generate random pattens that are 32 measures long automatically, or do you have to randomize each section via the scrolling through the pages?

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:59 am

So, I have a feature idea for Vector that I posted at the Five12 forum but has been roundly ignored. Either I did a crap job of explaining it, or there’s just very little traffic over there, or it’s a crap idea. But it seems like a rather good idea to me. I’m curious how I’m missing the mark.

My problem is that I want deeper patching integration between Vector sequences and other modules, not just pitch/gate/velocity. With the Vector jack expander, we can currently get a start-of-sequence reset trigger and/or a trigger at the start of every stage. These are useful.

My proposal is to have the option of a selective stage gate (gate high for duration of active stage)—an adaptation of what these jacks do on “classic”-style sequencers:

In a nutshell, my proposal is that you can assign a trigger output on the Vector jack expander to an option where the output goes high for the duration of any stage with a CC1 value above 0. In that manner, you can extract a stage-length gate (for use with an EG, logic, VCA or to advance something) for zero or more stages in your sequence.

Not an amazingly great idea?
Last edited by mdoudoroff on Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

buyingitwontmakeucool
Common Wiggler

Post by buyingitwontmakeucool » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:41 pm

Sounds like a great use of the extra trigger jacks to me. Could he just (theoretically) add an alternate independent gate pattern to every track with another press of gate button? Then you can assign a trigger out to “AG3” or whatever track. Not sure what the reference to CC1 means? Maybe you meant something more embedded in the track like velocity or a sub sequencer? If velocity you could only select steps with gates, but maybe you could set the comparator to a variable instead of just >0? I tend to use a drum track and 4 trigger outs for this purpose. But then they are linked in length and speed.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:30 pm

My thinking is that each stage already has three MIDI CC values (none of which do much for me) so why not repurpose one of them. No expansion of the data model or memory footprint. Maybe there’s something about those CC values I misunderstand. (I don’t use MIDI so I’ve never tried them.) There might be a better way.
Last edited by mdoudoroff on Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buyingitwontmakeucool
Common Wiggler

Post by buyingitwontmakeucool » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:39 pm

Got it. Obviously I don’t use them either :)

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:05 pm

I like the idea of repurposing one of the CC tracks- very clever. No idea if it’s possible or if there would be any other implications from doing that, but it seems like it could just be a switch in the Global settings
maybe you’d like to buy some nice used modules? Free cables with purchase!!

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=235367&p=3313562&h ... s#p3313562

davidjames
Wiggling with Experience

Post by davidjames » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:07 pm

+1 on that idea! At first I said "wait, there's three MIDI CCs available on each stage?" Obviously I don't use MIDI much either :hihi:

Maybe a dumb question...you could have multiple tracks with stage gates assigned to the same output, and it would operate like an OR combiner? That would generate some nice pattern/stage length interplay.
FS: Bargain Bin updated 8/4, EME, more
viewtopic.php?p=3062675

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:14 pm

Well, if y’all like the idea, it wouldn’t hurt if you bopped over to the Five12 forum and registered your enthusiasm. No way to know what Jim can or will implement, but we can try.

https://forum.five12.net/forum/eurorack ... f-sequence

djthopa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by djthopa » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:58 pm

Just got this beauty today plus the expander. First impression is it its up to the same level (or better) than my maikkin.
Hope they make midi thru from midi host a independent of record mode.
Connected it to four vcos and my ambika..shiite!

hinterlands303
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hinterlands303 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:17 pm

mdoudoroff wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:14 pm
Well, if y’all like the idea, it wouldn’t hurt if you bopped over to the Five12 forum and registered your enthusiasm. No way to know what Jim can or will implement, but we can try.

https://forum.five12.net/forum/eurorack ... f-sequence
It’s a great idea and I’m going to see if I can set up cv.ocd to do it since I don’t have the expander.

DoverBeach
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DoverBeach » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:08 am

Any chance the vector with the jexp will become a standard midi to cv interface like hermod for example?
I'm in love with this sequencer and I'd like to sell my hermod if only this feature will be implemented with a new firmware.

DoverBeach
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DoverBeach » Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:44 pm

dykehouse wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:40 pm
Been obsessed with this sequencer it is so wonderful! Quick question, I am using the latest firmware and if I se up part 5 to be a MIDI drum sequencer when I switch the power off and return the configuration is lost. What am I doing wrong, does this sequencer not auto save/ Thanks for any help.
global--->turn two times encoder nine you'll find a page named generl-misc---> autosv ON.
:sb:
Last edited by DoverBeach on Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoverBeach
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DoverBeach » Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:45 pm

edit. double post.

MikeLeeBirds
Common Wiggler

Post by MikeLeeBirds » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:01 pm

DoverBeach wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:08 am
Any chance the vector with the jexp will become a standard midi to cv interface like hermod for example?
I'm in love with this sequencer and I'd like to sell my hermod if only this feature will be implemented with a new firmware.
I made that suggestion to Jim several times, but I don’t think it will happen soon.
I also have Hermod and think it‘s a great companion for Vector.

DoverBeach
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DoverBeach » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:14 pm

MikeLeeBirds wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:01 pm
DoverBeach wrote:
I made that suggestion to Jim several times, but I don’t think it will happen soon.
OT While looking for tutorials for vector on youtube I came across your jams, I love your music.
Would you explain how do you use them in combination?

newrun
Common Wiggler

Post by newrun » Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:24 pm

DoverBeach wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:14 pm
MikeLeeBirds wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:01 pm
DoverBeach wrote:
OT While looking for tutorials for vector on youtube I came across your jams, I love your music.
Would you explain how do you use them in combination?
I also like. Very nice music :tu:

castano
Common Wiggler

Post by castano » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:43 pm

Anyone using there five12 with a metron
Trying to use five12 as master clock but not having any luck
Anyone using this setup?
how are your settings for both?
Greatly appreciate anyone’s help

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:41 pm

castano wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:43 pm
Anyone using this setup?
I am... no problems whatsoever... what specific issues are you having? I can't say I recall changing any settings... Vector has a clock output, and I think I have the reset input gong to Metron. Might be run. I forget. Otherwise I don't recall what the divisions are set to, I might be using 24 PPQN clock. But I don't recall that specifically. That should be pretty easy to define in both modules. Not sure that that helps haha.

boom blip
Wiggling with Experience

Post by boom blip » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:58 pm

mdoudoroff wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:59 am
So, I have a feature idea for Vector that I posted at the Five12 forum but has been roundly ignored. Either I did a crap job of explaining it, or there’s just very little traffic over there, or it’s a crap idea.
Probably less active due to being between updates, I bet Jim will respond once the big new update is out.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:21 pm

castano wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:43 pm
Anyone using this setup?
I am, no problems here with Vector’s clock and reset going into same on Metron.

What’s going on when you try it?
maybe you’d like to buy some nice used modules? Free cables with purchase!!

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=235367&p=3313562&h ... s#p3313562

Clumsy
A Can of Worms

Post by Clumsy » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:38 pm

Sinamsis wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:40 am
A belated thanks for that suggestion. It's a much neater and nicer solution than using a Pam's channel.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”