FIVE12 Eurorack Vector Sequencer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

nrg242
Common Wiggler

Re: FIVE12 Eurorack Vector Sequencer

Post by nrg242 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:03 pm

just received a Vector from another user here and i'm confused about the behavior of the encoders when adjusting pitch. when i turn clockwise, pitch goes up appropriately, however when i try to turn CCW, the pitch will only go so low as C of the current octave then no further. to get back to the lower octaves i have to hold down shift and rotate CCW, which then jumps by octaves down to whatever. is this normal?

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:42 pm

Mine goes all the way down to C1 just by turning the knob CCW. I can’t think of any settings offhand that would constrain it to one octave.

I’d shoot Jim an email.
maybe you’d like to buy some nice used modules? Free cables with purchase!!

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=235367&p=3313562&h ... s#p3313562

buyingitwontmakeucool
Common Wiggler

Post by buyingitwontmakeucool » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:09 pm

nrg242 wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:03 pm
just received a Vector from another user here and i'm confused about the behavior of the encoders when adjusting pitch. when i turn clockwise, pitch goes up appropriately, however when i try to turn CCW, the pitch will only go so low as C of the current octave then no further. to get back to the lower octaves i have to hold down shift and rotate CCW, which then jumps by octaves down to whatever. is this normal?
No - maybe reinstall most recent firmware?

Dark Barn
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dark Barn » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:28 pm

nrg242 wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:03 pm
I had this problem in Locrian scale on the most recent wide release firmware, if memory serves. I’ve been using the beta since the beginning of the latest beta round and haven’t noticed this problem again. I’m curious if you are in Locrian also?
I’ve been searchin’ for the dolphins in the sea

The Weak in Review - podcast in ((poetic_stere0)) Spotify YouTube

yrn1
Common Wiggler

Post by yrn1 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:17 am

I also had this on some of the scales, can’t remember which ones though. Also latest general release.

nrg242
Common Wiggler

Post by nrg242 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:02 pm

So this behavior is only present in melodic minor scale for me. persists after updating to the 1.9.22 beta firmware as well. will just work around it until it gets fixed.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:43 pm

Did you let him know so he can fix it in future releases?
maybe you’d like to buy some nice used modules? Free cables with purchase!!

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=235367&p=3313562&h ... s#p3313562

nrg242
Common Wiggler

Post by nrg242 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:43 am

i did. Jim said he's on it. easy enough to work around it in the meantime. still need to delve into using it for drum gates, but i'm certain this is replacing the eloquencer for me.

vraufen
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vraufen » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:27 pm

Is there a quick way of creating arpeggiations? Would be a nice thing to add to chord mode if it isn't already possible.

ritec
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ritec » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:50 pm

vraufen wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:27 pm
Is there a quick way of creating arpeggiations? Would be a nice thing to add to chord mode if it isn't already possible.
I submitted this feature request in the 512 Vector forum. It would be nice if you upvoted it so we can get some traction.

https://forum.five12.net/forum/eurorack ... rpeggiator

BlackBearDiner
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BlackBearDiner » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:45 am

Anyone tried using their Vector cv mod with a Planar or similar? If yes, usable or just chaos?

Daduk
Common Wiggler

Post by Daduk » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:17 am

nrg242 wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:43 am
i did. Jim said he's on it. easy enough to work around it in the meantime. still need to delve into using it for drum gates, but i'm certain this is replacing the eloquencer for me.
I am considering to swap to Vector from Eloquencer too. What were your main reasons to do it if I may ask?

nrg242
Common Wiggler

Post by nrg242 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:35 am

i found programming melodic parts on the eloquencer tedious. i didn't like the stepped nature of the probability/random on it, which also felt quite limited. the elektron style probability on the vector is really good and i find the random generation algorithms spit out quite useful stuff that can be easily tweaked to a final product.

however, i am missing the general overview of the eloquencer where you can see the relationship of all your gates across all your tracks on a single screen. eloquencer was far faster and more intuitive for drum programming since i like the x0x style, and having 16 steps across in a single view.

but my gates programming for drums can be parted out to other modules quite easily and vector takes over the melodic sequencing very well.

skreetis
Common Wiggler

Post by skreetis » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:39 am

BlackBearDiner wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:45 am
Anyone tried using their Vector cv mod with a Planar or similar? If yes, usable or just chaos?
Yeah, I do this constantly. I like to set X to sequence length and Y to sequence starting position. It makes it so easy to get ever evolving sequences, especially with the movement recording feature on Planar. It does, however, seem there’s a bug in the latest official firmware release, where sometimes Start Position will randomly start acting like Sequence Length. Usually a save will fix it.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:39 am

Daduk wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:17 am
I am considering to swap to Vector from Eloquencer too. What were your main reasons to do it if I may ask?
You didn’t ask me, but I’ll volunteer two cardinal reasons why I (indirectly) found my way from an Eloquencer to the Vector:

1. Eloquencer’s eight tracks are basically ganged together in one monolithic block. Vector’s parts are comparatively independent. (Ganging together the tracks on Eloquencer is probably an advantage for certain types of music workflows, just not mine.)

2. Eloquencer is fundamentally a capable gate sequencer with some nice—but limited—pitch sequencing capabilities layered in. Vector is the opposite: a pitch sequencer, with well-developed note-centric gate features. For various reasons, Vector will probably never be as good a percussion sequencer (I’m speaking generally—workflow and priorities are personal) as Eloquencer, but I’m not a betting man.

evileye0702
Ultra Wiggler

Post by evileye0702 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:51 am

Daduk wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:17 am
I made the same move from the Eloquencer to the Vector. One of the biggest reasons for me was the display. It's just so much easier for these old eyes to see things on the beautiful Vector displays.

I've also found learning the Vector a lot easier. It sure fits my workflow a lot better.

This isn't saying the Eloquencer isn't nice. I just personally like the Vector a lot more and have no regrets about making the change. Fortunately I have several other sequencers to fill in where the Vector isn't prefect.

nrg242
Common Wiggler

Post by nrg242 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:09 am

yeah, i agree with Martin's comments as well. i found the process of disengaging individual tracks from the master reset or clock of the eloquencer taking me through multiple menus and click turns which i just never developed the muscle memory for. quite possibly my own failing. i like the idea of tweaking everything related to a part in one or two quickly accessed screens, rather than an overview of a single parameter for all parts at once on the tiny screen (does that make sense?).

i did originally buy eloquencer for drum programming and it was good at that, but didn't then bridge the gap to melodic stuff so now its heading out the door (also being given the boot because i have a Flux coming). I'm envisioning Vector and Flux handling pretty much everything i need for a while (i go through a lot of sequencers).

Daduk
Common Wiggler

Post by Daduk » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:30 pm

Thanks you so far guys, I will report back once pulled the trigger! I have played with it on the last Superbooth and even if it was only 5 mins, it left an amazing impression on me, I will most definitely go for it this time:)

MikeLeeBirds
Common Wiggler

Post by MikeLeeBirds » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:52 am

vraufen wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:27 pm
Great idea!
I‘ll add my vote in the Five12 forum.

MikeLeeBirds
Common Wiggler

Post by MikeLeeBirds » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:28 am

Daduk wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:30 pm
Thanks you so far guys, I will report back once pulled the trigger! I have played with it on the last Superbooth and even if it was only 5 mins, it left an amazing impression on me, I will most definitely go for it this time:)
I‘m sure you will love it!
I went through A LOT of sequencers before settling on Vector (plus Hermod and Monome Grid). Eloquencer looks beautiful and is probably very capable, but I just found Vector‘s UI to be much more intuitive.
Last edited by MikeLeeBirds on Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

MikeLeeBirds
Common Wiggler

Post by MikeLeeBirds » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:33 am

newrun wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:24 pm
DoverBeach wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:14 pm
MikeLeeBirds wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:01 pm

I made that suggestion to Jim several times, but I don’t think it will happen soon.
I also have Hermod and think it‘s a great companion for Vector.
OT While looking for tutorials for vector on youtube I came across your jams, I love your music.
Would you explain how do you use them in combination?
I also like. Very nice music :tu:
Thank you! I‘m happy to hear that some folks enjoy the sounds!

Daduk
Common Wiggler

Post by Daduk » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:37 am

Is it easy to randomize the notes on the fly within a chosen scale with the Vector? So let's say I have chosen C minor, and want to randomize it it, wil it randomize within the notes of C minor? Cheers

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:46 am

Yes. There are two forms of randomization—one is for generating a sequence and one is for evolving an existing one. They stick to scale. Check out Loopop’s Vector video for quick examples.

Daduk
Common Wiggler

Post by Daduk » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:52 am

mdoudoroff wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:46 am
Yes. There are two forms of randomization—one is for generating a sequence and one is for evolving an existing one. They stick to scale. Check out Loopop’s Vector video for quick examples.
:tu:

BlackBearDiner
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BlackBearDiner » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:28 am

Is there a list somewhere with more or less confirmed new features that are coming in the next firmware update? Can’t seem to find any :hmm:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”