Stereo Triggered Sampler from 4ms

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Skriabini
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Skriabini » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:33 am

sorry for the dumb question, but has anybody tried using this with mutable instruements grids?
Do you think it's possbile to trigger samples and also change the lenght and start point of the sample with grids? Would that make sense?

adnauseam
Veteran Wiggler

Post by adnauseam » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:09 pm

Skriabini wrote:sorry for the dumb question, but has anybody tried using this with mutable instruements grids?
Do you think it's possbile to trigger samples and also change the lenght and start point of the sample with grids? Would that make sense?
Grids only generates triggers or gates. Starting or gating playback would definitely be a great job for grids.

You'd want someting that generates variable CV like an LFO or a sequencer, to be able to modulate length and start points.

kxx303
Common Wiggler

Post by kxx303 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:34 pm

Is it ok if my sts gets a little warm a while after modulating it’s parameters?
Somewhere around record inputs i guess. I use my module for a several months and noticed this only today... maybe it is faulty me?

onthelees
Wiggling with Experience

Post by onthelees » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:03 am

After much delay, I got mine today at Control Voltage. The main reason was that I wanted to add Drums to my setup, and even though there are many dedicated drum modules, this seemed like the best way to go for maximum flexibility, and thinking of it as a drum machine avoids a number of the issues posted on this thread regarding looping, setting start points, etc. BTW - hooked it up to Grids right off, and got some very interesting and pleasing results. Not sure if we will ever have 1.5, but this works for me as-is.

Silentnotes
Common Wiggler

Re: Stereo Triggered Sampler from 4ms

Post by Silentnotes » Sat May 02, 2020 6:10 am

Do you think we will ever see this update? Last time we heard from 4ms was in december 2018 when they said that its coming.

Dob
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dob » Wed May 20, 2020 4:56 pm

So I got this problem.

I'm sequencing with René, and even at max "trigger delay", the sample starts before the right CV is received, making the sample run a step late.
At max "trigger delay" I can hear that sometimes there's a different sample chosen, so I'm very near, but not quite there.
Setting it on the device to max makes the value "8" in settings.txt file, whereas the file itself states that the max is "10". I even tried setting it to 50 or 100, directly in the file, but I don't know if that setting got picked up. (And it didn't help either...)

I've been thus forced to use maths 2 channels to add slew to the 2 triggers. But that is obviously a workaround, I'd rather not waste maths on correction.

Also, I bought this module because it was made to be patched like this!
I kinda accepted that Arbhar wasn't good at it / wasn't made for tight triggering, but this module sure is.

I also looked up of I could get René's gates delayed (inside René), but I don't think that's possible?

Dob
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dob » Thu May 21, 2020 3:37 pm

Any help would be appreciated...
Would be weird to have to send this baby back to the shop for something as basic and trivial as this.

kxx303
Common Wiggler

Post by kxx303 » Fri May 22, 2020 2:55 am

Dob wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:37 pm
Would be weird to have to send this baby back to the shop for something as basic and trivial as this.
I do not have any sequencers with STS so i cannot duplicate your situation.
What do 4ms say about it? Did you contact tech support?
BC / MG / IG / YT

Dob
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dob » Fri May 22, 2020 9:52 am

kxx303 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 2:55 am
Dob wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:37 pm
I do not have any sequencers with STS so i cannot duplicate your situation.
What do 4ms say about it? Did you contact tech support?
Yeah I resorted to emailing 4ms just now.
Just out of curiosity; how do you use your STS when not sequenced, it seems to be designed for it?

kxx303
Common Wiggler

Post by kxx303 » Fri May 22, 2020 10:39 am

Dob wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:52 am
Just out of curiosity; how do you use your STS when not sequenced, it seems to be designed for it?
I dump long WAVs on it: spoken word records, long pads, chord progressions, textures etc. Everything my small case is not capable of. So I can build some minimalistic soundsculpted narration on top of what STS is playing.
Sometimes it is fine to use it as a recorder when there is no laptop or pc around.

Feel free to tell what 4ms will recommend you.
BC / MG / IG / YT

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Re:

Post by ersatzplanet » Fri May 22, 2020 5:41 pm

Skriabini wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:33 am
sorry for the dumb question, but has anybody tried using this with mutable instruements grids?
Though it won't trigger the samples themselves, what you really need is a programmer like the Synthwerks PGM-4x4. I have one almost permanently attaches to each go my Wav player modules (3 nebulae and a STS). You can control 4 different parameters and have four sets of "programs" to choose from unless you chain or stack the PGM-4x4 with one or more other ones. I typically control Pitch, Start, Length, and Sample with mine. I would love that there were a CV in for Bank number but it is fine without that too. The PGM-4x4 also can work as a sequencer so each trigger can be a different sound, or section of a sound.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

Dob
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dob » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:50 pm

I have a new problem... When I go to record mode, even more when I actually hit record, the delicate beat/vibe that I had going from the output samples is totally gone. It sounds like crap, samples come out jittery, too late or not at all.
Probably due to the fact that it can't keep up with reading different samples while also writing the recording. It sounds I'm asking too much of the unit at that moment.

Also I had loop mode on, which goes off when aiming a recording. Why does it do that? Then I have to switch it back on. Is that a "give away" that it doesn't record very nicely when in loop mode?

It's actually my workaround for the first problem, because like this, when I just send a new sample selection CV, it will play it from the start of that new sample, so I don't have the trigger issue, as a trigger is not needed.
Combined with an envelope and VCA it sounds nice. Some added offbeat groovy artifacts from the loop setting as short samples are going to loop momentarily, nice area to experiment.

I'm starting to think my unit is faulty. It should be able to play and record simultaneously, right?
Or do I just exactly do and expect the stuff it doesn't? I'm not exactly pushing its limits am I? I was just using one side of the sampler.

kxx303
Common Wiggler

Post by kxx303 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:32 am

Dob wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:50 pm
I have a new problem...
What about your memory card? They differ by read/record speed, and ultrahighsuperfast card could be a solution.

I have samsung evo and sandisk extreme iirc.
BC / MG / IG / YT

Dob
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dob » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:29 am

kxx303 wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:32 am
Dob wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:50 pm
I have a new problem...
What about your memory card? They differ by read/record speed, and ultrahighsuperfast card could be a solution.

I have samsung evo and sandisk extreme iirc.
I'm using the one that came with it... I expect it to be fast enough? Or isn't it? It's class 10, I googled.

UHS (Ultra High Speed) cards might not be supported. (they would function, but might not be able to run at their potential speed, these cards utilise extra contact pins)
I'm discussing with 4MS over mail, I'll ask about the UHS support.

Dob
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dob » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:36 am

I was thinking, since space is becoming an issue;
Can the STS also be used as a CV source, a CV recorder of sorts? I.e. can it output recorded CV?

I would like to just sample all the outputs of my Quantum Rainbow 2 in a bank, maybe like 30 seconds per noise type, so that it wouldn't sound like it's repeating, and then used that as noise source. But actually, I use noise more on CV inputs than as audio source, just to get some rumble and/or dirtyness, and the quanta output is great for that.
But will a recorded quanta output have the same effect? Apart from being repetitive, of course.

I could just try, but I thought maybe someone knows from the top of their head

Return to “Eurorack Modules”