Stereo Triggered Sampler from 4ms

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

novim
Common Wiggler

Post by novim » Wed May 02, 2018 11:22 am

That's excellent, Alani. :yay: An admirably focused case too.

Curious about your workflow. How much is prepared in advance and loaded as loops, and how much is being created on the spot with Drums, Plonk, etc?

iamalanivierra
Learning to Wiggle

Post by iamalanivierra » Wed May 02, 2018 10:08 pm

All my sets are prepared in advanced. They never come out exactly as I vision but that’s what I love about playing live. My sets are all structurally set in place and most of the improvisation is wiggling cv values of modules. In this case for example different sounds with the future retro transient and rhythms with zularic rep.

dinosaurs
Common Wiggler

Post by dinosaurs » Wed May 23, 2018 10:15 pm

somewhat disappointed with the post-release support this module has (or hasn't) received. its been almost 8 months since the last firmware update and even ignoring major feature adds, there is quite a lot of low-hanging-fruit from a UI/workflow standpoint that could have been knocked out by now.

tenshun
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tenshun » Thu May 24, 2018 10:13 am

dinosaurs wrote:somewhat disappointed with the post-release support this module has (or hasn't) received. its been almost 8 months since the last firmware update and even ignoring major feature adds, there is quite a lot of low-hanging-fruit from a UI/workflow standpoint that could have been knocked out by now.
I feel the same way about it as well! They said they were working on a firmware update but that never seemed to be released. They seem to just be moving on with other modules and black faceplates now.

sexslut
Common Wiggler

Post by sexslut » Thu May 24, 2018 10:26 am

I was impressed at how open they were to feedback on features for the firmware updates that were released shortly after the STS was released. It hasn't even been a year, and there have been multiple really great updates.

What specifically are you guys missing?

4mspedals
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 4mspedals » Thu May 24, 2018 12:56 pm

Hi... sorry to keep everyone hanging, I know it's hard to wait for a firmware update! v1.5 is indeed in the works. As suspected, development on it has indeed been slowed down by getting other products (the SWN, notably) ready to show off at Superbooth and the WAV Recorder ready for production.

On the bright side, the WAV Recorder's development has spurred on some advancements in the STS, including the ability to record at 96kHz.

Likewise, a feature from the SWN (RGB color adjustment of the LEDs) has also been integrated into the STS's firmware.

The other features are not written yet, so perhaps what we should do is collect some testers to test out the features as they are ready.

So if you'd like to get on board with testing v1.5 send me a PM or email!

Hirsbro
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Hirsbro » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:02 pm

I would really love if it was possible to have the STS in loop mode but responding to a gate meaning it would keep playing (looping) when the gate was high and not playing when the gate was low :love:

dare
Common Wiggler

Post by dare » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:40 am

tenshun wrote:I have been recording some long samples into the STS and i noticed that when trying to chop up the samples using the "Scrub start" and "Scrub End" its range in editing the sample is not as wide as the "Start Pos." And "Length" potentiometers.

It seems it can only go to a certain distance in the sample.

Is there somthing i am missing or a work around to this?
I've just noticed this with longer samples as well. Did you work it out?

loorenz
Common Wiggler

Post by loorenz » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:58 am

dare wrote:
tenshun wrote:I have been recording some long samples into the STS and i noticed that when trying to chop up the samples using the "Scrub start" and "Scrub End" its range in editing the sample is not as wide as the "Start Pos." And "Length" potentiometers.

Same problem here with long samples.
I get rid of that by editing the start and/or the end point to make the sample less long.
This is certainly not the best solution, but for the moment it works for me.

Hold Edit and turn the right side Scrub Start or Scrub End knobs. The STS will scrub the start or end point of the sample as you turn the knob. The knob is velocity-sensitive, so turning it quickly will scrub a large distance, while turning it slowly will scrub a small amount.

dare
Common Wiggler

Post by dare » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:10 am

With longs samples I'm finding the scrub window doesn't include the whole sample.

Lets say I record 64 bars of music. I can listen to it by hitting play on the left side and the whole file plays back fine.

Now I want to isolate a section from the last eight bars.

I hold 'Edit + Start scrub" and turn the encoder but it will only go to like bar 32.

I must be missing something...

loorenz
Common Wiggler

Post by loorenz » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:15 am

Have you tried to turn the the knobs pretty fast to scrub a large distance?

dare
Common Wiggler

Post by dare » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:31 am

loorenz wrote:Have you tried to turn the the knobs pretty fast to scrub a large distance?
Yeah, it does't seem to do change the size of the window, it just moves faster through the window.

loorenz
Common Wiggler

Post by loorenz » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:38 am

It depend perhaps of what you mean by a long sample.
In my case the samples duration is around 2 or 3 minutes.

Try yo write to 4ms support, they always answer in a few days.
Let us know if there's a limitation or a solution to fix that.

tenshun
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tenshun » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:53 am

dare wrote:

I never got this sorted out. I just ended up either loading in pre edited samples or just recorded short one shot sounds into the STS.

I hope they fix this issue in the new firmware update.

For me editing a sample thats 30 seconds or longer i would still have the problem dialing in the part i wanna chop using the "Scrub start" and "Scrub End" its range is just not as wide using "Start Pos & "Length"

4mspedals
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 4mspedals » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:41 pm

dare wrote:With longs samples I'm finding the scrub window doesn't include the whole sample.

Lets say I record 64 bars of music. I can listen to it by hitting play on the left side and the whole file plays back fine.

I hold 'Edit + Start scrub" and turn the encoder but it will only go to like bar 32.

Hi,
I just tried this myself on a 5 minute sample, and I can scrub the entire 5 minutes, no problem.
But -- I wonder if maybe it's not clear how to use the Edit + Scrub knob. To get more than ~30 seconds or range you have to let go of Edit, then turn the knob back to 0, then hold down Edit and turn the knob all the way up again. Each time you turn the knob all the way, it'll move the Start point forward around 10-30 seconds or so, depending on the velocity of your turn. You just have to let go of Edit, turn the knob back, and repeat the motion multiple times if you have a long sample.

For example, with the sample I just made (5:00 long), I had to turn the knob 16 times to get all the way to the end (I was turning it pretty fast each time)

Let me know if that works for you!

dare
Common Wiggler

Post by dare » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:45 pm

4mspedals wrote:
dare wrote:With longs samples I'm finding the scrub window doesn't include the whole sample.

Hi,
I just tried this myself on a 5 minute sample, and I can scrub the entire 5 minutes, no problem.
But -- I wonder if maybe it's not clear how to use the Edit + Scrub knob. To get more than ~30 seconds or range you have to let go of Edit, then turn the knob back to 0, then hold down Edit and turn the knob all the way up again. Each time you turn the knob all the way, it'll move the Start point forward around 10-30 seconds or so, depending on the velocity of your turn. You just have to let go of Edit, turn the knob back, and repeat the motion multiple times if you have a long sample.

For example, with the sample I just made (5:00 long), I had to turn the knob 16 times to get all the way to the end (I was turning it pretty fast each time)

Let me know if that works for you!
Thanks this works, got it now :) !!

Hirsbro
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Hirsbro » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:47 am

Updates? :hyper: :?: :poke:

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:45 am

Hirsbro wrote:I would really love if it was possible to have the STS in loop mode but responding to a gate meaning it would keep playing (looping) when the gate was high and not playing when the gate was low :love:
This would be a feature I would love to see also. A "Play on High Gate" feature. It would make it much more useful.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

Bartelby
Common Wiggler

Post by Bartelby » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:04 am

Turned my rack on just now and my STS is lit up orange and unresponsive.

Anyone got any ideas what's going on?

Cheers

Bartelby
Common Wiggler

Post by Bartelby » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:29 am

Hold on, may have sorted it.

I added files to the SD card, but obviously made an error. Glad I backed up the original SD card!

dinosaurs
Common Wiggler

Post by dinosaurs » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:30 pm

again, any update on this firmware?

4ms is kind of taking the piss releasing this module almost a year ago with what amounts to beta firmware and then moving onto coding another much less expensive module. for a $450 module, i'd like to see the potential of this thing realized before something better comes along.

I suppose this situation is at least 50% my fault, caveat emptor and all.

Wiresandones
Common Wiggler

Post by Wiresandones » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:14 am

I was about to ask the same question.

@dinosaurs - what have you found to be the problematic areas?

While I have not found this firmware to be 'beta' and buggy, it does seem that the promised update is long overdue. I really want to adjust my Bank LEDs to be matching. I could have sent this in a long time ago but it sounded like 1.5 was coming at the beginning of this year. 9 months later and wondering.

Still - it is one of my favorite modules to date and day to day makes me smile.

Sync
Common Wiggler

Post by Sync » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:19 am

dinosaurs wrote: 4ms is kind of taking the piss releasing this module almost a year ago with what amounts to beta firmware and then moving onto coding another much less expensive module. for a $450 module, i'd like to see the potential of this thing realized before something better comes along.
All I can say is, I'm loving mine. There's no feature that I'm waiting on, at least at this point. Though I don't know what's planned for 1.5 so maybe I'd be chomping at the bit too if I researched that and found out.

But I figure, if it takes a while for an update to come out, that likely means there'll be more thoughtful features in the update and hopefully has had more testing, so it's also less likely it'll be buggy. Stability seems to be really good on it in 1.4, I've yet to see any kind of hiccup, I'd hope an update could boast the same.

The only thing I can think of that might be improved upon is how the files are handled on the SD card-- I'm always a little unsure what it will take to adjust individual files in the bank folders, and rather like to avoid hacking the index data file (though I have done that a little). But for me that's a relatively minor thing, and hasn't hampered me more than a minute or two when prepping a bank for a particular project.

The thing sounds great, great features and it's easy to use-- I don't end up going to the manual every few minutes to remember how to do something. Saving the current bank selection for power-up is probably the only thing I have to refer to the manual for, and I don't to that very often (if I did, I'd probably remember it)...

So I guess you got me curious-- what "unrealized potential" are you waiting to be unleashed?
--

Sync

Yunsnare
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Yunsnare » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:54 am

There's two new videos from 4MS on YouTube for the STS, maybe the new firmware is coming ?

dare
Common Wiggler

Post by dare » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:03 pm

I’m interesting to hear how people are populating their banks of sounds. I’ve been experimenting with a bunch of different options. Like one bank will have a few looped samples from records with different start points, a couple of bass parts in key with the loops and and some single one shots and maybe couple of vocal parts all in the same bank. When sequenced it can be pretty funky, kinda chopped up glitchy vibe. Would love to hear approach of others.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”