MakeNoise Morphagene

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Besfar
Learning to Wiggle

Re: MakeNoise Morphagene

Post by Besfar » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:31 am

Hey guys.
New owner of Morphagene here, really like it.
My unit has an older firmware.
What do you consider to be the latest firmware that was stable and didnt have much problems? I see some reports here from the latest firmware, seems to be not the best?

Saladolar
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Saladolar » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:52 am

I didn't notice any problem with the last firmware (for my use)

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:21 am

Besfar wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:31 am
Hey guys.
What do you consider to be the latest firmware that was stable and didnt have much problems? I see some reports here from the latest firmware, seems to be not the best?
I use the latest firmware and I think it's the best-- it gives you the most options and I think the input gain is way easier to use now.

Fedor
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Fedor » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:20 am

Its in the sacred Hall of Fame of the best firmware updates in eurorack!
Last edited by Fedor on Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zerstorte Zelle
Common Wiggler

Post by Zerstorte Zelle » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:41 am

luketeaford wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:21 am
Besfar wrote:
Hey guys.
I use the latest firmware and I think it's the best-- it gives you the most options and I think the input gain is way easier to use now.
Definitely a better input gain adjustment. Seems as though SOS leveling easier now too.

McRINdk
Common Wiggler

Post by McRINdk » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:15 pm

Definitly will try the latest and let you know.

zerodivide
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zerodivide » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:16 pm

Just bought a used Morphagene which doesn't include a microSD card. My question: Does it make sense any sense to buy a microSD card that's bigger than the default one that comes with the Morphagene?
The manual states you can have 32 reels total. Is that a hard limit in the code? Or is this simply a limit of the card size?

cat_abyss
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cat_abyss » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:41 am

zerodivide wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:16 pm
Just bought a used Morphagene which doesn't include a microSD card. My question: Does it make sense any sense to buy a microSD card that's bigger than the default one that comes with the Morphagene?
The manual states you can have 32 reels total. Is that a hard limit in the code? Or is this simply a limit of the card size?
I asked roughly the same thing a bit earlier in the thread. It's a hard limit, so you'd never use more than ~1 GB i think (if a reel is around 30MB). I would instead opt to get the fastest card you can. I've a lot of throwaway 1-2 GB cards and they're slow as shit, a few seconds to store a reel.

xcc
Common Wiggler

Post by xcc » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:23 pm

cat_abyss wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:41 am
zerodivide wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:16 pm
I asked roughly the same thing a bit earlier in the thread. It's a hard limit, so you'd never use more than ~1 GB i think (if a reel is around 30MB). I would instead opt to get the fastest card you can. I've a lot of throwaway 1-2 GB cards and they're slow as shit, a few seconds to store a reel.
Exactly right. I would also get multiple small, fast cards for getting around the reel limit. It also can help with organizing reels.

zerodivide
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zerodivide » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:51 pm

ah thanks guys. is Sandisk Extreme the fastest?

Besfar
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Besfar » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:11 am

Thanks guys. Ill try the latest firmware aswell 👍

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:33 pm

cat_abyss wrote:
... get the fastest card you can. I've a lot of throwaway 1-2 GB cards and they're slow as shit, a few seconds to store a reel.
:hail: Wow, I've been completely frustrated by the time it's been taking my Morphagene to load reels, and it never ocurred to me to try a faster SD card. Just tried it and my Morphagene experience has improved another 1000%, so thank you!

cat_abyss
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cat_abyss » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:55 pm

Hovercraft wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:33 pm
cat_abyss wrote:
... get the fastest card you can. I've a lot of throwaway 1-2 GB cards and they're slow as shit, a few seconds to store a reel.
:hail: Wow, I've been completely frustrated by the time it's been taking my Morphagene to load reels, and it never ocurred to me to try a faster SD card. Just tried it and my Morphagene experience has improved another 1000%, so thank you!
Ah, yeah, i did the same thing. It's not really apparent when you get a card how fast it's gonna be (it's not really advertized unless its upper end?). I got into it when i was gonna get a compatible card for my PSP convertion adapter thingy (for piggy tracker). Didn't know it was a thing at a scale where i could make an informed choice.

zerodivide wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:51 pm
Felt bad not to address you at this point. My time was a few years ago, i've got no clue about todays situation/prices, and it would be unfair to pretend to.

xcc
Common Wiggler

Post by xcc » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:01 pm

zerodivide wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:51 pm
These are what I use, and they load pretty much instantaneously for me. At about six bucks each I have a little card organizer full of them:

mikmanner
Common Wiggler

Post by mikmanner » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:51 pm

I just love how by only singing two notes into a Morphagene you can get a whole landscape from it.

I make sounds and games // www.mgfm.space

muddy ranks
Common Wiggler

Post by muddy ranks » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:42 pm

mikmanner wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:51 pm
I just love how by only singing two notes into a Morphagene you can get a whole landscape from it.
Whoah! :eek: That was a great example! I would love to know how that's accomplished. Care to share some details? I don't have a Morphagene just yet, but I'm getting closer and closer to taking the leap! So cool!

zerodivide
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zerodivide » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:17 am

muddy ranks wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:42 pm
mikmanner wrote:
Whoah! :eek: That was a great example! I would love to know how that's accomplished. Care to share some details? I don't have a Morphagene just yet, but I'm getting closer and closer to taking the leap! So cool!
not OP but basically you record "into" the Morphagene, and then at high Morph settings, it repitches your recording depending on the settings in a text file (octaves, 5ths, whatver). So if he sings 2 notes, he can then repitch those , blend between the two, and then even overdub these to a new splice/reel . infinite options really

mikmanner
Common Wiggler

Post by mikmanner » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:47 am

muddy ranks wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:42 pm
mikmanner wrote:
Thank you! Yeah exactly as was just described, use the morph knob to add pitches to it, I was also looping with the Mimeophon for more overlaps and playing bass live with the 0Coast
I make sounds and games // www.mgfm.space

tdallas
Common Wiggler

Post by tdallas » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:09 pm

gonkulator wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:00 pm
Okay, here is an ongoing problem: After MG is on for a while (and it is on most of the time normally,) the Reel and Splice windows (and some buttons there as well) flash very quickly, in a way that doesn't correspond to the modulation that is going on. The functions correspond to the lights as well; this isn't just a flashing light issue. I can unplug all the mod sources, and it is still there. The only cure I have found is to power cycle it. It then goes back to normal? Any ideas? Or should I just contact MN?
Have you maybe installed a newer firmware recently? Sometimes it helps with some problems to reinstall the firmware from another audio device or with a different gain level. If that doesn't help, I would suggest to contact MN directly. From my experience they are really helpful.

muleskinner
Common Wiggler

Post by muleskinner » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:12 pm

I have noticed with the new FW that I am getting a lot of bleed from the inputs even if the SOS knob is set all the way to the right.

Strangely I am getting it on everything apart from the highest input gain setting, I'd have thought this would be the worst!?

Anyone else getting this - I tried pushing the SOS knob 'virtually' further using a voltage offset but to no avail.
Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

McRINdk
Common Wiggler

Post by McRINdk » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:38 pm

Might hold off on the upgrade then, untill its all sorted/explained

mother misty
Common Wiggler

Post by mother misty » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:44 pm

muleskinner wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:12 pm
I have noticed with the new FW that I am getting a lot of bleed from the inputs even if the SOS knob is set all the way to the right.

Strangely I am getting it on everything apart from the highest input gain setting, I'd have thought this would be the worst!?

Anyone else getting this - I tried pushing the SOS knob 'virtually' further using a voltage offset but to no avail.
Just tested this, no problems here.

markincork
Learning to Wiggle

Post by markincork » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:22 pm

mikmanner wrote:

Really nice. Thanks.

nemox
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nemox » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:24 pm

luketeaford wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:21 am
Besfar wrote:
Hey guys.
Hi,
The new input gain mode is really great but it works with the cv too :hmm:

Bob Charlotte
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bob Charlotte » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:56 pm

Dasein1980 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:48 am
tdallas wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:59 am
Dasein1980 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:22 pm
Before the recent update, I never had problems with morphing layers popping/clicking. But now there is a very loud pop when genes start playing and it wrecks the audio. At times, the whole unit seems to distort and crackle like it’s being overloaded, even though the levels going into it are normal.
Do you use a clock during this situation? I got some really noisy disortions and cracklings with the new firmware when I'm using a clock in combination with smooth genes. This happens when recording a second or more times into an existing splice and using morph level and gene size around noon or higher (behavior confirmed by Make Noise).

Beside that I also had the impression, that the transitions between smooth genes are clickier (is this a word?) with the new firmware. Maybe this is because they raised the wet signal output level again to the "pre mg157" state?

But I'm not a MG power user, so it is more a feeling than corroborated by measurements. It would be nice to hear the response from Make Noise to you regarding this :tu:
Come to think of it, yes I think I was using a clock, plus a random trigger of record, although my gene size was set almost fully CCW. This was also during recording only the input--no new slices. But from what you've said it sounds like MN is aware of this. That's good to know! Thank you!

I'm a little relieved to hear that that's your impression (and interesting to hear why you think that might be the case), as it makes me hopeful it's not a hardware issue for me and I won't have to send it in for warranty repairs. But I hope MN gets back to me soon, because I'm trying to use the MG at the centre of my setup right now, and the clicks/pops I'm getting are so bad they make it unusable.

I will certainly report back what MN says.
Did you get a response from MN?

Anybody else having any issue with the clicks/pops with the new firmware?

I'm a bit afraid of those clicks, so still waiting to update my Morphagene.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”