MakeNoise Morphagene

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

nihile_tropes
Common Wiggler

Re: MakeNoise Morphagene

Post by nihile_tropes » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:07 pm

Dark Barn wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:08 am
nihile_tropes wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:58 am
I've recently encountered a new problem with the Morphagene. It just won't behave normally in my new case as it invariably locks up during start-up, displaying purple lights all over and not reacting to any knob movements or inputs. Make Noise say it might be a compatibility issue with the PSU (ACL Lo Noize) which possibly doesn't ramp up to 12V fast enough. Have any of you had similar experiences? Any solution to this problem other than selling it, which I really want to avoid?
You could try a WMD soft start module:

https://wmdevices.com/products/soft-start-module
Thank you for that link. I guess I'll give it a shot.

auditorycanvas
Common Wiggler

Post by auditorycanvas » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:17 am

Can someone give me a sanity check just to make sure I'm not missing something obvious?

Am I correct in understanding that using a trigger input to play, there's no way to get the gene play overlap that happens without a play trigger input when the morph knob is past 12 o'clock?

I love the overlap where a gene starts before another has finished, but would love a bit more control over the timing of them.

der_Patchler
Learning to Wiggle

Post by der_Patchler » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:06 am

nihile_tropes wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:07 pm
Dark Barn wrote:
nihile_tropes wrote:
I've recently encountered a new problem with the Morphagene. It just won't behave normally in my new case as it invariably locks up during start-up, displaying purple lights all over and not reacting to any knob movements or inputs. Make Noise say it might be a compatibility issue with the PSU (ACL Lo Noize) which possibly doesn't ramp up to 12V fast enough. Have any of you had similar experiences? Any solution to this problem other than selling it, which I really want to avoid?

What you need is this:
Unfortunately, the WMD does not work. It will only make your problem worse. The module wants the 12V immediately. Because of the many modules in your case, the current needs a little time to reach 12V. And that's when your module hangs up. It needs the 12V immediately. Good digital modules reset themselves until the 12V is reached. The ACL Power Delay only gives the module the current when the 12V is reached. The WMD does exactly the opposite. It ramps up to 12V very slowly.

peachesandbacon
Common Wiggler

Post by peachesandbacon » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:18 am

auditorycanvas wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:17 am
Can someone give me a sanity check just to make sure I'm not missing something obvious?

Am I correct in understanding that using a trigger input to play, there's no way to get the gene play overlap that happens without a play trigger input when the morph knob is past 12 o'clock?

I love the overlap where a gene starts before another has finished, but would love a bit more control over the timing of them.
I don't think so, I have a feeling Arbhar might do this, but Arbhar offers far less trigger control than Morph, (there's quite a bit latency when triggering with Arbhar)

I'm actually playing with my Morphagene at the moment. trying to learn it a little better, and I'm experimenting with triggers into the play input. I'm just triggering it with tapping a tetrapad at the moment with my finger sending it a gate out as long as my finger is held down. It seems that it will play the current splice as long as the gate on the play input stays high and then stop when I release my finger, unless I turn Morph up, and then when it triggers a second overlapping grain that will continue, even if I release my finger. This is confusing me. Why does it not stop when the gate goes low when Morph is turned up?

I think I might need a sanity check too.

My other question is, is it possible to get tiny genes out of Morphagene without speeding up the rate that they play?
If I turn the gene size up to make smaller genes / grains, then they fire a lot faster.

There's no way to get smaller genes / grains that fire much less frequently is there?

enno
Common Wiggler

Post by enno » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:35 am

Need some help with my Morphagene... I've thus far only used it with material I recorded straight in, but now I am trying to copy some wav files from freesound (straight from the make noise page) onto the SD card and play them back. So far I am stumped - I am copying them over, naming them mg1, mg2, ... and then putting the SD card back into Morphagene. But no luck - files arent being recognised in the reel manager.
I think the SD card works fine, as I can still record sounds onto them using the Morphagene, and these then show up when I open the SD card on my Laptop.
Any hot tips? What am I doing wrong?

zlotan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by zlotan » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:51 am

Try pressing the shift button...

JeebsFat
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JeebsFat » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:04 am

I had that problem with a clouds in my old case with barely enough power. I would turn it on, it wouldn't come on right. I would then flip the power switch to the psu off and back on and it would always come on fine after that. I figured I was giving the large capacitors in the psu time to get up to full capacity. Or maybe I was slowly destroying all my modules.

enno
Common Wiggler

Post by enno » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:25 am

Hm. Shift button doesnt seem to do anything weirdly. Is there supposed to be a light flashing if / when the card is "mounted"?

nihile_tropes
Common Wiggler

Post by nihile_tropes » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:56 am

der_Patchler wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:06 am
nihile_tropes wrote:
Dark Barn wrote:
nihile_tropes wrote:

What you need is this:
Unfortunately, the WMD does not work. It will only make your problem worse. The module wants the 12V immediately. Because of the many modules in your case, the current needs a little time to reach 12V. And that's when your module hangs up. It needs the 12V immediately. Good digital modules reset themselves until the 12V is reached. The ACL Power Delay only gives the module the current when the 12V is reached. The WMD does exactly the opposite. It ramps up to 12V very slowly.
Thank you! Yeah I've contacted ACL with my problem as well and they told me about this upcoming solution. WMD haven't replied to my inquiry so I took that as an answer and stayed away from their Soft Start Module. I'll keep the Morphagene out of the rack for now and wait for the little helper from ACL.

auditorycanvas
Common Wiggler

Post by auditorycanvas » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:10 am

peachesandbacon wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:18 am
auditorycanvas wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:17 am

I don't think so, I have a feeling Arbhar might do this, but Arbhar offers far less trigger control than Morph, (there's quite a bit latency when triggering with Arbhar)

I'm actually playing with my Morphagene at the moment. trying to learn it a little better, and I'm experimenting with triggers into the play input. I'm just triggering it with tapping a tetrapad at the moment with my finger sending it a gate out as long as my finger is held down. It seems that it will play the current splice as long as the gate on the play input stays high and then stop when I release my finger, unless I turn Morph up, and then when it triggers a second overlapping grain that will continue, even if I release my finger. This is confusing me. Why does it not stop when the gate goes low when Morph is turned up?

I think I might need a sanity check too.

My other question is, is it possible to get tiny genes out of Morphagene without speeding up the rate that they play?
If I turn the gene size up to make smaller genes / grains, then they fire a lot faster.

There's no way to get smaller genes / grains that fire much less frequently is there?
Yeah, I have an Arbhar too. That does layer 'genes', with a lot more concurrent layers, but the 'gene' size is only 3 seconds max, which is great for some things, but I was hoping to do the same with longer genes on the Morphagene too.

I don't have an issue with latency on the arbhar, though I'm running everything into a DAW so all the timing offsets for various devices to be in perfect sync are likely making it less of a noticeable issue. That said, even trying it direct, I'm not seeing the 40-50ms delay from trigger to sound like some are reporting.

To get small genes, you can turn the gene size knob up, and send triggers to the play input at the rate you want them to play.

auditorycanvas
Common Wiggler

Post by auditorycanvas » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:12 am

enno wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:25 am
Hm. Shift button doesnt seem to do anything weirdly. Is there supposed to be a light flashing if / when the card is "mounted"?
Put the card in, tap shift, it should load the card, and flash to let you know it is loading it. It doesn't always work, I've had to power cycle sometimes.

jkanizzle
Common Wiggler

Post by jkanizzle » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:06 am

Random discovery based on the desire to have access to play input and continues play AND stopping the damn thing whenever I wanted to in a live performance. This may have already been discussed yet thought I’d share!

plainjanefrancis
Common Wiggler

Post by plainjanefrancis » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:00 am

jkanizzle wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:06 am
Random discovery based on the desire to have access to play input and continues play AND stopping the damn thing whenever I wanted to in a live performance. This may have already been discussed yet thought I’d share!

this is very cool, thanks for sharing!

jkanizzle
Common Wiggler

Post by jkanizzle » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:00 am

plainjanefrancis wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:00 am
jkanizzle wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:06 am

this is very cool, thanks for sharing!
Absolutely! Such a basic solution for something that was frustrating the hell out of me lol.

SingIt
Common Wiggler

Post by SingIt » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:29 pm

nihile_tropes wrote:
Dark Barn wrote:
nihile_tropes wrote:

I have the same problem in my intellijel Pallette. The fix is to power off the modular before I power off my rack PSU it’s connected to. And then power it on the same way - after the PSU is running. If I forget and power on the PSU (modular power switch was still set to on), then I get the purple lights.

SingIt
Common Wiggler

Post by SingIt » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:37 pm

Back Down the Path wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:56 pm
joeSeggiola wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:42 pm
It's incredible how easy you can automatically chew audio like in Keith Fullerton Whitman's Greatest Hits using the right combination of good splices and fine-tuned modulation.

Down here's how I used Brian Eno's iconic six-second Windows 95 startup sound to randomly generate one hour of ambient music. The only challenge was to setup slow modulations to slightly change the Morphagene parameters on a scale of minutes and tens of minutes (in summary: a couple sampled and smoothed noise signals in MI Stages, mixed and tamed in Veils). Just like KFW says, it's about "revealing hidden layers of content, context, and temporal/spectral production details... like shining a flashlight into the dark corners of each selection, exposing the hidden ghosts lurking within".

Inspiring work. This module rewards planning out your samples and slices more than any other. But somehow also rewards random patching and sampling.

It’s the one module I always think to myself , “do I really need this?” and then I plug the audio into my mixer and hear what I was working on last time and answer that question very quickly.
You made a nice point here that I have not thought of - using the right combo of splices. I feel like this is something I need to learn better.

Use case many times for me is I like to make my vocal hooks with the Morphagene. Currently I just get really lucky with a lot of my experimenting and whenever that happens, I hit record immediately and sample into my MPC. I’d really like to get a better process in place thats get me faster results.

Is there a methodology I could use where I organize my samples better or is a lot of this luck and tweak based?

zerodivide
Veteran Wiggler

Post by zerodivide » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:37 am

joeSeggiola wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:42 pm
It's incredible how easy you can automatically chew audio like in Keith Fullerton Whitman's Greatest Hits using the right combination of good splices and fine-tuned modulation.

Down here's how I used Brian Eno's iconic six-seconds Windows 95 startup sound to randomly generate one hour of ambient music. The only challenge was to setup slow modulations to slightly change the Morphagene parameters on a scale of minutes and tens of minutes (in summary: a couple sampled and smoothed noise signals in MI Stages, mixed and tamed in Veils). Just like KFW says, it's about "revealing hidden layers of content, context, and temporal/spectral production details... like shining a flashlight into the dark corners of each selection, exposing the hidden ghosts lurking within".

wha the fuck! I literally did this thinking I was so clever and was so proud of the reel I made. and yet others did it too :P
haha

enno
Common Wiggler

Post by enno » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:32 am

auditorycanvas wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:12 am
enno wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:25 am
Put the card in, tap shift, it should load the card, and flash to let you know it is loading it. It doesn't always work, I've had to power cycle sometimes.
Just in case anyone ever has similar issues, I found the problem. The culprit was an automatic encryption of the .wav files when leaving my PC, which morphagene then couldnt read / accept anymore. There is a small padlock symbol next to the file name if that happens...

enno
Common Wiggler

Post by enno » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:01 am

Playing around a bit more and using triggers into clock as well as play inputs got me wondering: Is it actually possible to get a clock-synced loop with Morphagene?
When clocked and set to time stretch or gene shift, it always cycles / moves through the splice. But what if I want it to just play the selected gene, and repeat it as many times as possible within a clock cycle, and then start a new cycle with the same gene starting again from start? Is that possible?

Daily.demotionals
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Daily.demotionals » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:19 pm

I’m trying to load custom reels onto my sd card and they aren’t over the limit size, they are named mg1.wav etc and are 48000 32 bit float. What could I be doing wrong?

muleskinner
Wiggling with Experience

Post by muleskinner » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:05 am

Daily.demotionals wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:19 pm
I’m trying to load custom reels onto my sd card and they aren’t over the limit size, they are named mg1.wav etc and are 48000 32 bit float. What could I be doing wrong?
Are they stereo and are you sure the card is formatted correctly? Is the Morphagene saving to the card OK?
Jamming, Patching and Twiddling: http://bit.ly/facelessmule
Currently Selling (UK): Akemie's Taiko, Plaits

indifference point
Learning to Wiggle

Post by indifference point » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:07 am

Hi all, just got an MG so newb question I couldn't find here: any difference with sd card speed and playback? looking to buy more cards but not sure what speed/class to get. It looks like the one that came with MG is class 10 (the fastest as far as i can tell) but wondering if a class 4 would work?

edit: on further thought does sd speed even matter if MG loads/plays from buffer?

NoLegs
Ultra Wiggler

Post by NoLegs » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:37 am

I think it would just change how fast the card loads data into the Morphagene. Once it’s loaded, the card speed wouldn’t matter.

colb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by colb » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:44 pm

NoLegs wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:37 am
I think it would just change how fast the card loads data into the Morphagene. Once it’s loaded, the card speed wouldn’t matter.
I guess it matters if you are making manual splice edits on the fly in a performance situation. Whenever your edit inputs require MG to shuffle sample data around, that 'shift' light flashes until the update is complete, and that time will be longer with a slower card.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”