MakeNoise Morphagene

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: MakeNoise Morphagene

Post by luketeaford » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:18 pm

This is an awesome update for me-- I think the new gain mode is much more elegant and I thought the pitch shifting was sometimes a little too identifiable but now mcr sounds excellent. Thanks for the firmware update :woggle: !

makenoise
Ultra Wiggler

Post by makenoise » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:26 pm

luketeaford wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:18 pm
This is an awesome update for me-- I think the new gain mode is much more elegant and I thought the pitch shifting was sometimes a little too identifiable but now mcr sounds excellent. Thanks for the firmware update :woggle: !
Hopefully this new version empowers the Morph control for people. There are a lot of ways to use the mcr options, or even turn off the detuning completely if you're not into it :party:

sleepmute
Common Wiggler

Post by sleepmute » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:17 pm

"Significantly improved signal-to-noise ratio" :party: Thank you!

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:22 pm

This looks like a great update. Gain staging should be a *lot* easier--and consequently noise (noise floor and overloading the input stage) should be much less of an issue. The improved s/n ratio will only help. Adjusting the morph chord ratios will be great for customizing the "Morphagene sound". Thanks to MN for a solid update. :hail:

johane
Learning to Wiggle

Post by johane » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:55 pm

Awesome update! The gain staging has been the only issue with this otherwise glorious module. Thank you! :yay:

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:27 pm

makenoise wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:36 am
New Morphagene firmware is available now!...
Excellent. :party:

Thank you very much!

cat_abyss
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cat_abyss » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:58 am

So great with the near-1 detunings. Having them decay like that... should've had a second MG to record that into :hihi:

sleepmute
Common Wiggler

Post by sleepmute » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:16 am

Tried this out last night. The new gain staging works really well, and the noise overall is way down. Thanks again, Make Noise!

joeSeggiola
Common Wiggler

Post by joeSeggiola » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:04 am

A couple questions. Do all three random pitch shifted genes appear simultaneously at a certain Morph value, with increasing density beyond it? Or does mcr1 appear first, followed by mcr2 and mcr3 at higher values? Is the new gain staging max still enough to bring line levels of digital recorders, smartphones, etc directly to Eurorack amplitudes. Thanks.

markincork
Learning to Wiggle

Post by markincork » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:12 am

The new Auto-level procedure works like a dream. Thank you MN

Whatisvalis
Common Wiggler

Post by Whatisvalis » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:04 pm

Thanks for the great update.

Does anyone have any advice on how to filter or eliminate high frequency digital noise? I know this is sometimes an issue with Morphagene and other digital modules, but mine gives off an almost uncomfortable pitch at times, and if I crank my preamps I can hear this nasty signal in my recording chain.

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:31 pm

Whatisvalis wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:04 pm
Thanks for the great update.

Does anyone have any advice on how to filter or eliminate high frequency digital noise? I know this is sometimes an issue with Morphagene and other digital modules, but mine gives off an almost uncomfortable pitch at times, and if I crank my preamps I can hear this nasty signal in my recording chain.
Have you tried moving Morphagene around in your case? I find repositioning modules can help with power bus noise or EMI from other modules.

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:29 pm

Small point: I found after applying the update that the LEDs weren't coloured as described in the readme, and I thought it had failed. Seems OK though, and the level control is worth the ticket price alone. :party:

Whatisvalis
Common Wiggler

Post by Whatisvalis » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:03 am

Hovercraft wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:31 pm
Have you tried moving Morphagene around in your case? I find repositioning modules can help with power bus noise or EMI from other modules.
I have with no change.

digidandy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by digidandy » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:09 pm

cptnal wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:29 pm
Small point: I found after applying the update that the LEDs weren't coloured as described in the readme, and I thought it had failed. Seems OK though, and the level control is worth the ticket price alone. :party:
Are others seeing this LED thing? Because I don't think it's been updated ...

I have now tried updating to mg203 several times, but not getting the "all lights flash" at the end of the audio playback - and getting colors Reel = orange and Splice = Violet - which basically means mg157.

EDIT: Played back audio through my Mac audio card, finally got the lights flashing at end of update - and update works fine.

tdallas
Common Wiggler

Post by tdallas » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:49 pm

Hi,

thanks for the great upgrade! :yay: But unfortunately I have a strange noise situation here with clocked "smooth gene window" after upgrading. This is what I am doing:

# Fresh reel
# Every option on SD card at default (0) beside gnsm set to 1 (smooth gene window)
# Clock inside the CLK input
# SOS MIX full dry during the whole process
# MORPH around 12 for shifts
# GENE SIZE around 12
# SLIDE and gain level doesn't matter

The first time creating a record by using REC is fine. But after that every following record let the Morphagene get really bonkers! The more I rise MORPH and GENE SIZE, the more noise I got from it during every clock pulse in the dry (and recorded wet) signal.

Without the clock everything is fine, also when gnsm is set to 0.

Does anybody else have this problem?

### EDIT ###

I did some tests and this also appears sometimes in mg157 and also with gnms set to 0. Make Noise technical support has confirmed this behavior. Thanks for the fast response there! :tu:
Last edited by tdallas on Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gwpt
Common Wiggler

Post by gwpt » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:57 am

ignore - dumbpost ;)

Tristana
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tristana » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:15 pm

I'm only just getting around to playing with firmware settings and swapping in reels from my computer frequently.

I've noticed that, after I remove the SD card from Morphagene, pop it into my computer to edit settings/change reels, when I pop the micro SD card back in, pressing shift won't remount the SD card. Morphagene still seems to think the SD is mounted. Is there something special I need to do to unmount the SD before removing it, or something to do to make the SD remountable?
Current: all my gear was stolen. Please help: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=
Have my freebie granular plug-in: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=192886

supairaru
Learning to Wiggle

Post by supairaru » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:52 pm

Tristana wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:15 pm
I'm only just getting around to playing with firmware settings and swapping in reels from my computer frequently.

I've noticed that, after I remove the SD card from Morphagene, pop it into my computer to edit settings/change reels, when I pop the micro SD card back in, pressing shift won't remount the SD card. Morphagene still seems to think the SD is mounted. Is there something special I need to do to unmount the SD before removing it, or something to do to make the SD remountable?
I seem to have the same issue.
I usually enter reel mode and exit then press shift and eventually it mounts.

tdallas
Common Wiggler

Post by tdallas » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:00 pm

Tristana wrote:
I've noticed that, after I remove the SD card from Morphagene, pop it into my computer to edit settings/change reels, when I pop the micro SD card back in, pressing shift won't remount the SD card. Morphagene still seems to think the SD is mounted.
Yes, same behavior here. Sometimes the mount button keeps glowing after the SD card is removed and does not allow a (re)mount after inserting it back. In this case I hit REC - which seems to reset the button state due to a missing recording target - and after that the mount is possible.

Zerstorte Zelle
Common Wiggler

Post by Zerstorte Zelle » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:10 am

Love the new firmware options here, however my samples are playing back at different pitch/speed than what’s loaded on the card. At normal playback speed the sounds play at one half step higher.

Anyone else?

I’ll have to look into this further but maybe I’ll just reload and recalibrate.

tdallas
Common Wiggler

Post by tdallas » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:02 pm

tdallas wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:00 pm
Tristana wrote:
I've noticed that, after I remove the SD card from Morphagene, pop it into my computer to edit settings/change reels, when I pop the micro SD card back in, pressing shift won't remount the SD card. Morphagene still seems to think the SD is mounted.
Yes, same behavior here. Sometimes the mount button keeps glowing after the SD card is removed and does not allow a (re)mount after inserting it back. In this case I hit REC - which seems to reset the button state due to a missing recording target - and after that the mount is possible.
I'm a little bit confused, beacuse I got this issue very often now. Furthermore there were at least three times this evening, where I can't mount the SD cards back at all. The SHIFT button does work on splices in the buffer, but it refuses to mount a card. I had to restart the whole device / rack...

Does anybody else have those issues, especially the second one?

mother misty
Common Wiggler

Post by mother misty » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:22 pm

tdallas wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:02 pm
tdallas wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:00 pm
Tristana wrote:
I'm a little bit confused, beacuse I got this issue very often now. Furthermore there were at least three times this evening, where I can't mount the SD cards back at all. The SHIFT button does work on splices in the buffer, but it refuses to mount a card. I had to restart the whole device / rack...

Does anybody else have those issues, especially the second one?
Similar issue here, sometimes the SD card won't mount and I've to restart my rack.
I've bought new SD cards and haven't had the problem since, not sure if it was related to a bad/dying SD card.
I haven't updated yet, so it's not related to the new update.

I wish MakeNoise would have chosen another combo for adjusting the input-level in the new update, it won't be the first time (and probably not the last time) that I fuck up a splice on my reel because the shift button doesn't always seem to register and I end up recording over the existing splice instead of setting the input volume.

On a related note, MakeNoise released a new video today for layering drums & drones with morph chord ratios.

Tristana
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tristana » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:39 pm

- erroneous post nvm -
Current: all my gear was stolen. Please help: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=
Have my freebie granular plug-in: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=192886

tdallas
Common Wiggler

Post by tdallas » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:50 pm

mother misty wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:22 pm
Similar issue here, sometimes the SD card won't mount and I've to restart my rack.
I've bought new SD cards and haven't had the problem since, not sure if it was related to a bad/dying SD card.
I haven't updated yet, so it's not related to the new update.
Thanks for the response. I got this issue this evening with the original and a new "out of the packaging" SD card formated by Morphagene :despair: I'm also confused by the frequency of undetected SD card removals. 9 out of 10 pulls are not detected, sometimes even after a fresh start. Maybe I'm getting old, but that seems to be less commonly in the past...

Also thanks for the video hint! :party:

### EDIT ###

Maybe I should relax more and focus on creating music (in my case noob noise) with this very fine devices, but sometimes such situations are driving me crazy :zombie: so just for the protocol in case somebody else get stuck in this mental loop:

# The „unmount is not detected“ situation seems to happen, when you pull out a card which only contains empty reels (1kB .wav).

# The „mount is not possible“ situation seems to happen, when you record something on the card mentioned above (in my case on reel 1) and than mount and unmount a couple of times.

I will ask MakeNoise if this might be the case or if I need to start building a tin foil hat...
Last edited by tdallas on Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”