MakeNoise Morphagene

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Re: MakeNoise Morphagene

Post by LDT » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:21 am

Does anybody know if there is an iOS audio editor that does markers that Morphagene can read?
And related to that, is there a specific name for this type of markers?

(A bit bummed that I need to learn a new piece of software to make reels. I use Nuendo (Cubase), Ableton and Bitwig, but neither makes the right markers.)
-Lars

tdallas
Common Wiggler

Post by tdallas » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:23 am

- miss wiggled (sorry) -

Whatisvalis
Common Wiggler

Post by Whatisvalis » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:57 am

LDT wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:21 am
Does anybody know if there is an iOS audio editor that does markers that Morphagene can read?
And related to that, is there a specific name for this type of markers?

(A bit bummed that I need to learn a new piece of software to make reels. I use Nuendo (Cubase), Ableton and Bitwig, but neither makes the right markers.)
No idea on iOS but just download Reaper and use it as your final editor. You don't need to learn it - just line up your audio events and add markers, then bounce the time selection (there's an option to include the markers).

a773
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by a773 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:12 pm

Whatisvalis wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:57 am
No idea on iOS but just download Reaper and use it as your final editor. You don't need to learn it - just line up your audio events and add markers, then bounce the time selection (there's an option to include the markers).
Bonus: you'll get an awesome DAW on your computer. Came for the reels, stayed for the killer DAW :party:

cat_abyss
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cat_abyss » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:17 pm

tdallas wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:50 pm
# The „unmount is not detected“ situation seems to happen, when you pull out a card which only contains empty reels (1kB .wav).

# The „mount is not possible“ situation seems to happen, when you record something on the card mentioned above (in my case on reel 1) and than mount and unmount a couple of times.

I will ask MakeNoise if this might be the case or if I need to start building a tin foil hat...
Hey, what's this about? Did you get an answer?
I noticed after the update that at first i couldn't record to the card (blinking red splice indicator, couldnt switch reels). When i looked at it in the computer it had created two almost empty reels (4 kb?). This kept going for a while but then started working again, and has since.

I attributed it to me just inserting the card clumsily or something. And i don't know if it's related to the update - i practically never remove the card, but the update procedure asked for it, so...

tdallas
Common Wiggler

Post by tdallas » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:10 pm

cat_abyss wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:17 pm
tdallas wrote:
# The „unmount is not detected“ situation seems to happen, when you pull out a card which only contains empty reels (1kB .wav).

# The „mount is not possible“ situation seems to happen, when you record something on the card mentioned above (in my case on reel 1) and than mount and unmount a couple of times.

I will ask MakeNoise if this might be the case or if I need to start building a tin foil hat...
I noticed after the update that at first i couldn't record to the card (blinking red splice indicator, couldnt switch reels). When i looked at it in the computer it had created two almost empty reels (4 kb?). This kept going for a while but then started working again, and has since.

I attributed it to me just inserting the card clumsily or something. And i don't know if it's related to the update - i practically never remove the card, but the update procedure asked for it, so...
Hi! I've just followed MakeNoise recommendations and did some additional installation rounds and tests for a response. On my MG the behavior seems to depend on the size of the reel where one unmount the card from. Pulling it while sitting on a empty reel, the unmount is never detected and the SHIFT button always keep glowing. Beside that the probability of the issues seems to shrink with the rising size of the reels. For example I never had any problems while mount/unmount a card sitting on a bigger reel (e.g. 20 sec). This only seems to happen on smaller or empty reels.

And yes, I sometimes also got the situation with two identical reels on the card, But this only seems to happen when the card has it's first mount / recording ... I never had this beyond the initial contact between MG and a new/fresh card :party:

moonscience
Learning to Wiggle

Post by moonscience » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:17 am

Anyone put together a list of morph chord ratios they've really enjoyed? I really wish there was a way to adjust these on the fly, but I guess that will have to wait for morphagene 2.0.

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:39 am

moonscience wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:17 am
Anyone put together a list of morph chord ratios they've really enjoyed? I really wish there was a way to adjust these on the fly, but I guess that will have to wait for morphagene 2.0.
Or *perhaps* it could be done with a little add-on module??
-Lars

NiteEagle
Common Wiggler

Post by NiteEagle » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:52 pm

LDT wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:39 am
Or *perhaps* it could be done with a little add-on module??
If you are going give the ability to enable options in a options.txt file at least have a !!¡¡ knob that you can assign this new feature. :hihi:
Chief circuit wrangler at SDIY Chicago

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:01 pm

Need some help here. Trying to get loop / SOS recording to work with a 1-bar phrase, feeding a trigger to clock and record on 1. It records and plays the loop in time, but the weird thing is, that there is a quick fade up at loop start, with the effect that the first 16th of the phrase is not heard.
I am on newest firmware.
Any ideas?

Thanks
-Lars

ggillon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ggillon » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:14 pm

LDT wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:01 pm
Need some help here. Trying to get loop / SOS recording to work with a 1-bar phrase, feeding a trigger to clock and record on 1. It records and plays the loop in time, but the weird thing is, that there is a quick fade up at loop start, with the effect that the first 16th of the phrase is not heard.
I am on newest firmware.
Any ideas?

Thanks
Do you have gene smoothing activated in the option file?

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:55 pm

Yup, I do hvae Gene Smoothing on. I assumed that would be in the range of a few milliseconds, but wow, if this is Gene Smoothing, I definitely don´t want that. :-D
-Lars

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:05 pm

Ok, I tested it. You were right. Thanks!
-Lars

after_us
Learning to Wiggle

Post by after_us » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:05 pm

LDT wrote:
I could not find one and it took me quite some time finding an iOS app which can export 32 bit floating point wav.
At least that is possible now with AudioShare.

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:02 am

after_us wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:05 pm
LDT wrote:
I could not find one and it took me quite some time finding an iOS app which can export 32 bit floating point wav.
At least that is possible now with AudioShare.
Thanks for sharing. So Reaper it is.
-Lars

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:20 am

Regarding looping:

I have finally got synced loop recording to work flawlessly. I watched this well-known video on youtube ( ), and he tells you how, but I really don´t know why he sends a faster clock to Clock in.
I have found that the far easiest way, is to send the same trigger to Rec and Clk with the spacing of the loop you want (e.g. once every bar). It is both faster to set up, and it gives you no stress at all about your timing. Just hit Rec some time before the loop begins, and hit it again any time before next round of the loop.

Can anybody explain, what the benefit would be of sending a faster trigger to Clock in, when making a synced loop recording?
-Lars

mother misty
Common Wiggler

Post by mother misty » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:52 am

LDT wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:55 pm
Yup, I do hvae Gene Smoothing on. I assumed that would be in the range of a few milliseconds, but wow, if this is Gene Smoothing, I definitely don´t want that. :-D
"Gene Smoothing" isn't very usefull when you're working with drums/loops, but it's pretty usefull when working in an Ambient/drone setting.
Because of that, I've decided to split my reels over 2 SD cards, 1 for ambient/scapes/drones where the gene smoothing on, and one for drums/loops were the gene smoothing is off (and organize immediately is on)
Last edited by mother misty on Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

mother misty
Common Wiggler

Post by mother misty » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:58 am

*double post*

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:48 am

mother misty wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:52 am
LDT wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:55 pm
"Gene Smoothing" isn't very usefull when you're working with drums/loops, but it's pretty usefull when working in an Ambient/drone setting.
Because of that, I've decided to split my reels over 2 SD cards, 1 for ambient/scapes/drones where the gene smoothing on, and one for drums/loops were the gene smoothing is off (and organize immediately is on)
Good tip, there.

So, I am thinking: Two more reasons for an MG add-on module. On 2HP we could have three small pots for tuning genes 2/3/4 and three switches for Organize Immidiately, Gene Smoothing and Volt/oct tuning.

I just found out about the convenience of a switch for the volt/oct, because when you enable that, you loose reverse playback. Also it moves the "Green setting" so having a switch would also be a kind of performance tool, where you can switch away from being in tune, and switch back again.
-Lars

mother misty
Common Wiggler

Post by mother misty » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:18 am

LDT wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:20 am
Can anybody explain, what the benefit would be of sending a faster trigger to Clock in, when making a synced loop recording?
The CLK-input has different uses depending on the settings, in this case CLK-in synchronizes the REC button, so if you send a faster clock you'll be able to record shorter loops or odd divisions, I don't see much of an other benefit in this setting.

ggillon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ggillon » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:48 am

mother misty wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:18 am
LDT wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:20 am
The CLK-input has different uses depending on the settings, in this case CLK-in synchronizes the REC button, so if you send a faster clock you'll be able to record shorter loops or odd divisions, I don't see much of an other benefit in this setting.
Yes, if I remember correctly the reason you would want a faster clock in is for example when you want to use the time stretch or gene shift functions

joeSeggiola
Common Wiggler

Post by joeSeggiola » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:54 pm

Code: Select all

//Default Chord: 2.0, 1.5, 1.33333
//
//Ratio Table - Equal Temperament
//1.33484: Perfect 4th
//1.49830: Perfect 5th
Well, now I know why my Morphagene always sounded great mixed with sus4 chords.

cat_abyss
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cat_abyss » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:23 pm

tdallas wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:10 pm
cat_abyss wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:17 pm
tdallas wrote:

Hi! I've just followed MakeNoise recommendations and did some additional installation rounds and tests for a response. On my MG the behavior seems to depend on the size of the reel where one unmount the card from. Pulling it while sitting on a empty reel, the unmount is never detected and the SHIFT button always keep glowing. Beside that the probability of the issues seems to shrink with the rising size of the reels. For example I never had any problems while mount/unmount a card sitting on a bigger reel (e.g. 20 sec). This only seems to happen on smaller or empty reels.

And yes, I sometimes also got the situation with two identical reels on the card, But this only seems to happen when the card has it's first mount / recording ... I never had this beyond the initial contact between MG and a new/fresh card :party:
Huh, that's very "interesting" behavour. Thanks for clearing it up for me!

tdallas
Common Wiggler

Post by tdallas » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:09 pm

cat_abyss wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:23 pm
Huh, that's very "interesting" behavour. Thanks for clearing it up for me!
You are welcome. MN also has confirmed, that such behaviors sometimes can occur during the pull and mount of the sd card (in every firmware). So this is not an indication of a damaged device :party:

Zerstorte Zelle
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by Zerstorte Zelle » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:53 am

digitalohm wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 11:28 pm
are there any reaper ninjas that know how to streamline some of the operations for the morphagene...for example if I add multiple samples to a track, it would be nice to automatically have markers added to the end of each...or if I could just use some kind of key combo to move the cursor to the end of the next sample :bang:

I wish I knew this too. Lots of little splices can be time consuming. I do think that the behavior of the individual clips borders may allow markers to snap while dragging though. Maybe I’m making that up?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”