MakeNoise Morphagene

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Destinova
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Re:

Post by Destinova » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:12 am

Zerstorte Zelle wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:53 am
digitalohm wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 11:28 pm
are there any reaper ninjas that know how to streamline some of the operations for the morphagene...for example if I add multiple samples to a track, it would be nice to automatically have markers added to the end of each...or if I could just use some kind of key combo to move the cursor to the end of the next sample :bang:

I wish I knew this too. Lots of little splices can be time consuming. I do think that the behavior of the individual clips borders may allow markers to snap while dragging though. Maybe I’m making that up?
Line up the items / clips you want in your reel and select them all. Go to the actions menu, open the actions list and type in "Create project markers from selected items" in the filter panel. Select the command, then you can either just click on run or add a keyboard shortcut to use every time.

Whatisvalis
Common Wiggler

Re: MakeNoise Morphagene

Post by Whatisvalis » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:15 pm

To get this to work do you need to use a new SD card?

When you mount an SD Card, the current Reel is copied to the newly-mounted SD Card. Use this to create copies of the Reel. Mount SD Card. Load Reel the to be copied. Remove SD Card. Wait for Shift Button to be OFF. Insert SD Card and press Shift to mount. Currently loaded Reel will be coped to the SD Card.

What's the best work flow for loading a reel and then creating changes and saving it as a new reel?

ggillon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ggillon » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:20 pm

Whatisvalis wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:15 pm

When you mount an SD Card, the current Reel is copied to the newly-mounted SD Card. Use this to create copies of the Reel. Mount SD Card. Load Reel the to be copied. Remove SD Card. Wait for Shift Button to be OFF. Insert SD Card and press Shift to mount. Currently loaded Reel will be coped to the SD Card.

What's the best work flow for loading a reel and then creating changes and saving it as a new reel?
I never tried but you may try the procedure with the same card. It should not overwrite your existing reels

Whatisvalis
Common Wiggler

Post by Whatisvalis » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:59 pm

ggillon wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:20 pm
Whatisvalis wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:15 pm

I never tried but you may try the procedure with the same card. It should not overwrite your existing reels
It doesn't seem to work as described or how I'm interpreting it. I had loaded a reel - removed card and worked on an variation - then when inserting and mounting SD card the old reel was loaded and the variation not saved.

Zerstorte Zelle
Common Wiggler

Re: Re:

Post by Zerstorte Zelle » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:13 am

Destinova wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:12 am
Zerstorte Zelle wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:53 am
digitalohm wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 11:28 pm
are there any reaper ninjas that know how to streamline some of the operations for the morphagene...for example if I add multiple samples to a track, it would be nice to automatically have markers added to the end of each...or if I could just use some kind of key combo to move the cursor to the end of the next sample :bang:

I wish I knew this too. Lots of little splices can be time consuming. I do think that the behavior of the individual clips borders may allow markers to snap while dragging though. Maybe I’m making that up?
Line up the items / clips you want in your reel and select them all. Go to the actions menu, open the actions list and type in "Create project markers from selected items" in the filter panel. Select the command, then you can either just click on run or add a keyboard shortcut to use every time.
Thanks for that! I’ve just been clicking the space containing the cut. This’ll be way better.

Saladolar
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Saladolar » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:07 am

Hi guys, do some of you use several & specific sd cards with pre-loaded txt files or samples ?
I plan to make a sd card to store "wavetables" only and the right settings in the txt file.
Do you have other tips ? How do you use your sd cards ?

mother misty
Common Wiggler

Post by mother misty » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:29 am

Saladolar wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:07 am
Hi guys, do some of you use several & specific sd cards with pre-loaded txt files or samples ?
I plan to make a sd card to store "wavetables" only and the right settings in the txt file.
Do you have other tips ? How do you use your sd cards ?
I've 2 cards for now, one for drums and percussion related stuff and one for ambient / scapes / drones etc...
On the drum card i've set
- organize splice to immediatly (I use this card mainly to sequence splices)
- gene smooth off (so there's no fade-in)
- input to record Sound on Sound mix

on the ambient card i've set
- organize splice at end of gene (so there are no abrupt changes)
- gene smooth on
- input to record input only (so i can use it as an effect processor, even with 100% wet)

Saladolar
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Saladolar » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:06 am

Thanks for the tips !

On the drum card : do you load loops (or series of single shots) and splice them in the box ? Or do you do that with Reaper ?

mother misty
Common Wiggler

Post by mother misty » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:19 am

Saladolar wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:06 am
Thanks for the tips !

On the drum card : do you load loops (or series of single shots) and splice them in the box ? Or do you do that with Reaper ?
I splice all my reels in Reaper, the drum card has loops and single shots, I use them in different ways.

The loops aren't spliced, as I want to use these to derive a tempo from with the 'End of Gene' gate, works pretty great if you multiply that clock signal x4 to drive other things in your system for example.

My single shot reels are mostly dual mono as i don't work much in full stereo.
This allows me to have different sounds on the left and right channels so i can have a total of around 600 sounds on a reel. My left channel has mostly kick & bass sounds while the right channel has hihats and percussion sounds which makes these very flexible.
I use this mostly in combination wih Mutable Marbles to sequence the splices which works like a dream as pressing the freeze button will instantly give you tons of good loops.

Saladolar
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Saladolar » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:28 am

Cool tips ! I think I'm missing something without Reaper...

divmod
Learning to Wiggle

Post by divmod » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:32 pm

I just published a script (https://github.com/olt/mgreel) to convert one or more Wave files to a Morphagene reel. All files are resampled to 32bit/48khz if necessary and each file becomes a splice. No need for Reaper.

It's easy to use, but you do have to know how to use the command line of your system.

It's written in JavaScript and I hope someone with more skills will able to convert this to a standalone web app.

divmod
Learning to Wiggle

Post by divmod » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:46 pm

...and here is a .zip with all Adventure Kid Wave Forms (AKWF) as reels. One reel for each category.
Make sure to set "vsop 2" and "gnsm 0". See the Make Noise video for a tutorial:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Saladolar
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Saladolar » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:32 pm

Oh this is dope, thank you !

Dark Barn
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dark Barn » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:25 am

I’d like a SD card setting to disable panning, now that we can tune the random grains however we want I find myself wanting to use high morph settings more, but on some patches the panning sounds too hectic with shorter grains.
I’ve been searchin’ for the dolphins in the sea

The Weak in Review: Poetic_stere0

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:12 am

Dark Barn wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:25 am
I’d like a SD card setting to disable panning, now that we can tune the random grains however we want I find myself wanting to use high morph settings more, but on some patches the panning sounds too hectic with shorter grains.
Good idea--I've also wished the panning could be disabled, so the the two channels could be used independently in chord mode.

Saladolar
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Saladolar » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:56 am

I have two questions for you guys :

- the pitch knob on my unit is quite unstable and really difficult to set properly. From times to times, when I find the green spot for example, the pitch changes by itself and this appears to be more pronounced when I just power my case on.
Do you experience something similar with yours ?

- in "wavetable" mode, I noticed the morph knob changes the pitch. If I set a C, each orange position of the morph knob produces a C an octave higher (except an intermediate position which makes a G). How do you explain it ?

jzwoopwoop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jzwoopwoop » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:23 pm

Saladolar wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:56 am
the pitch knob on my unit is quite unstable and really difficult to set properly. From times to times, when I find the green spot for example, the pitch changes by itself and this appears to be more pronounced when I just power my case on.
Yes, mine behaves exactly like this. I’ve always thought it’s just the nature of the beast but it is unfortunate and annoying.

tdallas
Common Wiggler

Post by tdallas » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:45 pm

Saladolar wrote:
- the pitch knob on my unit is quite unstable and really difficult to set properly. From times to times, when I find the green spot for example, the pitch changes by itself and this appears to be more pronounced when I just power my case on.
Yes, it's the same behavior on mine. Finding and keeping the green is sometimes a little adventure. I also wonder why especially the green section has to be this narrow.

Mr_Sulcus
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Mr_Sulcus » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:47 pm

I wonder why they didn't put a centre detented pot there?

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:05 pm

Mine sometimes drifts from green to another color, too-- I really don't use it for v/oct stuff though AND my source material is usually unlikely to have a strong pitch, so it hasn't bothered me in practice.

I previously used to not use morph because the effect was too much of a giveaway, but the morph chord ratios in the latest firmware make that much more customizable and interesting to me and I have had some fun setting up a drone and using the MCR to hit the harmonic sweet spots.

divmod
Learning to Wiggle

Post by divmod » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:58 pm

Saladolar wrote:

- in "wavetable" mode, I noticed the morph knob changes the pitch. If I set a C, each orange position of the morph knob produces a C an octave higher (except an intermediate position which makes a G). How do you explain it ?
I can‘t explain, but I like that behavior. Vari-speed only tracks 2 octaves and I can use morph to offset the pitch to the right range.

Camdeyn
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Camdeyn » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:58 am

I can NOT get my Morphagene to read SD cards at all any longer. Reformat, reinstall firmware, turn on and off, load the card, unload the card... old firmware, new firmware...

Nothing... I’ve really enjoyed reading this thread and have tried all the options... anyone have a definitive answer to this?... thanks for your time... New here.

Fedor
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Fedor » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:29 pm

Camdeyn wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:58 am
I can NOT get my Morphagene to read SD cards at all any longer. anyone have a definitive answer to this?...
Send it to MN for repair?

tdallas
Common Wiggler

Post by tdallas » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:13 am

Camdeyn wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:58 am
I can NOT get my Morphagene to read SD cards at all any longer. Reformat, reinstall firmware, turn on and off, load the card, unload the card... old firmware, new firmware...
I would also suggest to send MN a mail regarding this behavior. From my experience they are really helpful (thanks @Walker for answering all my stupid questions).

muleskinner
Common Wiggler

Post by muleskinner » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:26 am

Saladolar wrote:
Mine is like this as well - I wondered if it was just me!

Sometimes I rig it up to an offset voltage with an attentuator which makes it much easier to switch between different settings, like making an exact octave jump or going from forward to backward at 1:1 speed (without being in 1v/oct mode).
Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

Return to “Eurorack Modules”