MakeNoise Morphagene

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

kxx303
Common Wiggler

Re: MakeNoise Morphagene

Post by kxx303 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:52 am

Saladolar wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:56 am
The pitch knob on my unit is quite unstable and really difficult to set properly. From times to times, when I find the green spot for example, the pitch changes by itself and this appears to be more pronounced when I just power my case on.
Do you experience something similar with yours?
On mine too.
I think there could be a chance to make the green zone bigger. It is how 4ms made their Dual Looping Delay: feedback knob’s 100% zone there is significantly wider to make the operation easier.

And maybe there is an opportunity to program the OS to make pitch knob picking only octaves: -2, -1, 0, +1
Morphagene under heavy rain:
https://youtu.be/cT_oTXPrqX8

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:10 am

kxx303 wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:52 am
Saladolar wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:56 am
The pitch knob on my unit is quite unstable and really difficult to set properly. From times to times, when I find the green spot for example, the pitch changes by itself and this appears to be more pronounced when I just power my case on.
Do you experience something similar with yours?
On mine too.
I think there could be a chance to make the green zone bigger. It is how 4ms made their Dual Looping Delay: feedback knob’s 100% zone there is significantly wider to make the operation easier.

And maybe there is an opportunity to program the OS to make pitch knob picking only octaves: -2, -1, 0, +1
Mine goes through stages. Sometimes it refuses to stay put. Other times it's green for weeks on end.

Camdeyn
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Camdeyn » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:29 am

Sent support email, will share results.. thanks

Fedor
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Fedor » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:46 am

kxx303 wrote:
Many people asked for this on lines, including me, but MN were kinda against it.

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:31 pm

A few years ago at Knobcon, I had a chance to speak with Tom Erbe about the issue of the 1X green playback zone being so hard to dial in. He told me it couldn’t be changed—I think he mentioned something about the hardware implementation. I think MN would have addressed it if it were possible in the firmware. If you’re willing to sacrifice reverse playback, you can set a card parameter for only forward playback and the zone is larger.

divmod
Learning to Wiggle

Post by divmod » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:47 am

Hovercraft wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:31 pm
A few years ago at Knobcon, I had a chance to speak with Tom Erbe about the issue of the 1X green playback zone being so hard to dial in. He told me it couldn’t be changed—I think he mentioned something about the hardware implementation.
It's likely that the whole vari-speed control is implemented in hardware (the "big pitch knob" and the vari-speed CV input and attenuverter). Making the green zone larger would then break 1v/o tracking.

kxx303
Common Wiggler

Post by kxx303 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:07 am

divmod wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:47 am

It's likely that the whole vari-speed control is implemented in hardware (the "big pitch knob" and the vari-speed CV input and attenuverter). Making the green zone larger would then break 1v/o tracking.

Well then the only way to get more precise control of the pitch knob is to put a big cap on it - like many other MN modules have as main knob: STO, QPAS and so on.

kxx303
Common Wiggler

Post by kxx303 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:09 am

Fedor wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:46 am
kxx303 wrote:
Many people asked for this on lines, including me, but MN were kinda against it.
They just want us to buy Pressvre Points for this purpose :)

ggillon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ggillon » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:40 pm

kxx303 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:07 am
divmod wrote:

Well then the only way to get more precise control of the pitch knob is to put a big cap on it - like many other MN modules have as main knob: STO, QPAS and so on.
That's what I did :)

also here's me trying to mangle the Amen break through morphagene, inspired by one of the threads here

Dasein1980
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dasein1980 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:22 pm

I bought a Morphagene a couple months ago brand new and updated to the latest firmware when it recently came out.

I sent the following to MN support, but I also wanted to see if anyone else has encountered this problem. It's not the noise floor that concerns me, but the really loud popping/crackling. I've also searched MW boards, but haven't seen anyone describe the issue I'm encountering.

Here's the run down:

I have options set to gene smoothing and only recording the input, plus some chord ratios set (octave up/down, 5th).

Before the recent update, I never had problems with morphing layers popping/clicking. But now there is a very loud pop when genes start playing and it wrecks the audio. At times, the whole unit seems to distort and crackle like it’s being overloaded, even though the levels going into it are normal.

I have tried unplugging the modules around the MG, different sound sources, and adjusting different levels (both from my sound sources and w/ the MG’s own gain-staging) but the problem persists. I’m concerned there’s a mechanical issue with my unit.

My next step is to reinstall the firmware, but in the meantime has anyone else encountered this?

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:59 pm

ggillon wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:40 pm

also here's me trying to mangle the Amen break through morphagene, inspired by one of the threads here

Really good. Is it in multiple slices? How did you get it to time sync?
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

tdallas
Common Wiggler

Post by tdallas » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:59 am

Dasein1980 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:22 pm
Before the recent update, I never had problems with morphing layers popping/clicking. But now there is a very loud pop when genes start playing and it wrecks the audio. At times, the whole unit seems to distort and crackle like it’s being overloaded, even though the levels going into it are normal.
Do you use a clock during this situation? I got some really noisy disortions and cracklings with the new firmware when I'm using a clock in combination with smooth genes. This happens when recording a second or more times into an existing splice and using morph level and gene size around noon or higher (behavior confirmed by Make Noise).

Beside that I also had the impression, that the transitions between smooth genes are clickier (is this a word?) with the new firmware. Maybe this is because they raised the wet signal output level again to the "pre mg157" state?

But I'm not a MG power user, so it is more a feeling than corroborated by measurements. It would be nice to hear the response from Make Noise to you regarding this :tu:

kxx303
Common Wiggler

Post by kxx303 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:00 am

ggillon wrote:

Looking good!
And sounds nice too!

ggillon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ggillon » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:02 am

electricanada wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:59 pm
ggillon wrote:

Really good. Is it in multiple slices? How did you get it to time sync?

Yes I got the sample from here:
https://freesound.org/people/VEXST/packs/1550/

It said 162 BPM so I set a Reaper project to 162BPM, dropped the file and added equidistant splice markers based on the grid division.

Then I set the option file to organize at end of gene to make sure the organize input wouldn't mess wuth with the sync, set my master clock (erica synths drum seq) to 162BPM to use with a 2hp Euclid for triggering the Morphagene play and add occasional bursts. A clocked wogglebug sends CV to organize to switch splices.

I guess it would also be possible to get a clock letting morphagene run a splice and sending End of gene to a tap tempo like Tempi, then removing the tap tempo and letting tempi run.

I also used the new option to have - 2, -1 and +1 octaves through morph setting.

BTW anyone knows a free alternative to Reaper for setting splice markers?

muleskinner
Common Wiggler

Post by muleskinner » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:49 am

Whoa - I'd missed there was a new firmware!

There seems to be a few people reporting issues here but changing the pitch-shift intervals looks like a lot of fun. I presume I can just go back to the previous fw if I run into problems?

I always had problems with the old 'auto-levelling' feature, mainly with the input clipping. I was tearing my hair out at points. In the end I just ran a pretty hot pulse wave into it, used that to set the level, then managed the input level going in elsewhere.
Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

zerodivide
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zerodivide » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:55 am

guys about to pull the trigger on a Morphagene. Did the hardware ever change over the course of its lifespan? Is a brand new Morphagene today identical to the originals that came out?

McRINdk
Common Wiggler

Post by McRINdk » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:42 am

ggillon wrote:
kxx303 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:07 am
divmod wrote:

That's what I did :)

can I ask what knob size you used 5, 6 ?

ggillon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ggillon » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:23 am

McRINdk wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:42 am
Sure! It was these ones

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/make-no ... 726849-01/

I think they are Rogan PT 5 PS

Dasein1980
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dasein1980 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:48 am

tdallas wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:59 am
Dasein1980 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:22 pm
Do you use a clock during this situation? I got some really noisy disortions and cracklings with the new firmware when I'm using a clock in combination with smooth genes. This happens when recording a second or more times into an existing splice and using morph level and gene size around noon or higher (behavior confirmed by Make Noise).

Beside that I also had the impression, that the transitions between smooth genes are clickier (is this a word?) with the new firmware. Maybe this is because they raised the wet signal output level again to the "pre mg157" state?

But I'm not a MG power user, so it is more a feeling than corroborated by measurements. It would be nice to hear the response from Make Noise to you regarding this :tu:
Come to think of it, yes I think I was using a clock, plus a random trigger of record, although my gene size was set almost fully CCW. This was also during recording only the input--no new slices. But from what you've said it sounds like MN is aware of this. That's good to know! Thank you!

I'm a little relieved to hear that that's your impression (and interesting to hear why you think that might be the case), as it makes me hopeful it's not a hardware issue for me and I won't have to send it in for warranty repairs. But I hope MN gets back to me soon, because I'm trying to use the MG at the centre of my setup right now, and the clicks/pops I'm getting are so bad they make it unusable.

I will certainly report back what MN says.

McRINdk
Common Wiggler

Post by McRINdk » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:06 am

ggillon wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:23 am
McRINdk wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:42 am
Sure! It was these ones

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/make-no ... 726849-01/

I think they are Rogan PT 5 PS
Thanks I´ll definitely give this a go for my Morphagene

divmod
Learning to Wiggle

Post by divmod » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:34 am

divmod wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:32 pm
I just published a script (https://github.com/olt/mgreel) to convert one or more Wave files to a Morphagene reel. All files are resampled to 32bit/48khz if necessary and each file becomes a splice. No need for Reaper.

It's easy to use, but you do have to know how to use the command line of your system.

It's written in JavaScript and I hope someone with more skills will able to convert this to a standalone web app.
Lorenzo Stanco added my script to his Morphagene web tool: https://www.lorenzostanco.com/lab/morphagene/#mgreel
Just drag and drop your Wave files (doesn’t matter if mono/stereo/16bit/32bit/etc.). It all happens inside your browser and nothing gets uploaded.

tdallas
Common Wiggler

Post by tdallas » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:23 am

muleskinner wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:49 am
I presume I can just go back to the previous fw if I run into problems?
Hi. Yes, in my experience that is possible without any problems. The previous firmware(s) should be available by changing the version number in the download link provided on the MN webside.

Camdeyn
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Camdeyn » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:47 pm

Just wanted to follow up on my previous post about my problems with the MG not reading SD cards after latest 203 firmware.

What it boiled down to (huge thanks to Walker @ Make Noise for all his help) was that the medium of which you load your firmware from makes a big difference. I had tried primary with my iPhone to play back the firmware update several times at different volumes with no luck. It would show the correct colours and such but all SD card related functions were doggy. Walker suggested a different source to load the firmware. So I used my MacBook Pro at 70% volume and that didn’t work, tried it again and THAT WORKED.

So anyone having problems with SD cards not functioning as normal, try as Walker suggested and try a different medium and you may have to try it a few times with different volumes... worked for me.

Hope this helps a few of you.

Walker at Make Noise was amazing and patient, I’m writing this so it might take a load off his plate with others having the same problems.

Cheers

tdallas
Common Wiggler

Post by tdallas » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:26 pm

Camdeyn wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:47 pm
So anyone having problems with SD cards not functioning as normal, try as Walker suggested and try a different medium and you may have to try it a few times with different volumes... worked for me.
:tu: ... thanks and I'm sorry. Now that you mention it I can remember, that I've seen similar discussions in the past (but completely forgotten about it :hmm: ). For example here:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=189659

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=213287

And I'm pretty sure, that somewhere also a wrong volume level was mentioned as a cause for strange firmware behaviors, but I can't find that at the moment.

EDIT: I might have found something...

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... start=1025

gonkulator
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gonkulator » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:00 pm

Okay, here is an ongoing problem: After MG is on for a while (and it is on most of the time normally,) the Reel and Splice windows (and some buttons there as well) flash very quickly, in a way that doesn't correspond to the modulation that is going on. The functions correspond to the lights as well; this isn't just a flashing light issue. I can unplug all the mod sources, and it is still there. The only cure I have found is to power cycle it. It then goes back to normal? Any ideas? Or should I just contact MN?
Racks
Solaris Site
Stuff for sale
Stuff for sale shown on Modulargrid
WTB: Black panels

Unflappably nonchalant, with some exceptions

Return to “Eurorack Modules”