MakeNoise Morphagene

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

GGW
Veteran Wiggler

Re: MakeNoise Morphagene

Post by GGW » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:18 pm

Thanks for pointing that out Mother Misty.
I better get upgraded!

mother misty
Common Wiggler

Post by mother misty » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:24 pm

GGW wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:18 pm
I better get upgraded!
No problem!
Actually MakeNoise should just update their manuals ;)

xcc
Veteran Wiggler

Post by xcc » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:21 pm

mother misty wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:24 pm
GGW wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:18 pm
I better get upgraded!
No problem!
Actually MakeNoise should just update their manuals ;)
They did. That was probably quoted from an older version.

JES
Veteran Wiggler

Re:

Post by JES » Wed May 13, 2020 7:28 pm

Just got a Morphagene today and I am gobsmacked at how awesome it is. I can’t believe that I waited this long to get one. I am just checking to see if what’s written below is still true with the latest firmware. My own experiments seem to confirm this but others might know better.
JakoGreyshire wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:49 pm
I had asked Walker about the stereo schemes in the make noise module line up and if they were similar types of stereo designs... This is what he said about the Morphagene...
VortexRanger wrote:

Morphagene also has no normalization scheme; it is simply dual mono, two identical signal paths. You can use either or both. The only control that has any chance of affecting these two signal paths differently is Morph: at high settings there is a chance that any given Gene will have its amplitude reduced in the channel it appears in and increased in the other channel by a randomized amount (you could call this "random panning").

I'm not going to post it there, but I am ok with you quoting me wherever you would like to.
"Now, I'm off to hook my cat's litterbox up to an envelope follower." --Aragorn23

cat_abyss
Common Wiggler

Post by cat_abyss » Mon May 18, 2020 8:57 am

Hmm. Never understood this thing with impedance super well. Can i plug an electric guitar straight into the morphagene? If yes, can i do this with an euro patch cable (i've mono adapters to make it fit into the guitar)?

What i really wanted to do was to plug my acoustic guitar into mikrophonie, but the piezo in the guitar has apparently seized to function, and anyway the mikrophonie turns out to be in another rack than the morphagene.

Wrong thread, but maybe into the lyra-8?

I do have an old weird danish mixer, but i'm not sure it has high-Z inputs (seems to be geared towards broadcasting, only has thre xlr inputs and then like 20-25 RCA ones)

xcc
Veteran Wiggler

Post by xcc » Mon May 18, 2020 9:02 am

cat_abyss wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:57 am
Hmm. Never understood this thing with impedance super well. Can i plug an electric guitar straight into the morphagene? If yes, can i do this with an euro patch cable (i've mono adapters to make it fit into the guitar)?

What i really wanted to do was to plug my acoustic guitar into mikrophonie, but the piezo in the guitar has apparently seized to function, and anyway the mikrophonie turns out to be in another rack than the morphagene.

I do have an old weird danish mixer, but i'm not sure it has high-Z inputs (seems to be geared towards broadcasting, only has thre xlr inputs and then like 20-25 RCA ones)
It's mainly about boosting the level. The Morphagene has quite a bit of boost, but I'm not sure it has enough to get a guitar up. You're not going to hurt it by trying.

The mixer would most likely get the guitar hot enough to get a good signal into the Morphagene.

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Mon May 18, 2020 9:43 am

cat_abyss wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:57 am

Hello. It is unclear to me whether you are asking about two applications or one. That is, I can't tell whether "an electric guitar" and "my acoustic guitar [with] the piezo" refer to the same instrument.

If your piezo pickup is not functioning, that is a separate matter, of course. :) But once it is functioning again or is replaced, I think you should have a proper electrical interface for it, to send its audio output to devices such as Morphagene.

My experience is much more with magnetic pickups than piezo pickups. However, I know that piezo pickups want to see a high impedance connection to sound good. 10 mega Ohms is ideal, but down to 1 mega Ohm will suffice (although almost certainly the sound will vary within that range).

For example, a product like this one is designed to do that job specifically, and it includes a variable impedance setting:

Radial Engineering PZ-DI

The Morphagene manual states that "The Signal Inputs (1+2) accommodate modular synthesizer signals, as well as line level sources."

Given that spec, if I were going to play my bass guitars (magnetic pickups) into Morphagene or a similar eurorack module, I would use as an interface one of the excellent DIs or instrument preamps I have. This based on three facts:

1. The audio output levels of my basses is far below typical modular levels, and is also below line level, whereas the DIs and preamps each feature a proper line level output.

2. My DIs and preamps guarantee that my basses' pickups will see a high impedance connection of 1 mega Ohm minimum (though my best tube DIs' input impedance is 12.8 mega Ohm).

3. Thanks to input impedance and other features (optionally including transformers, tubes, or equalization), the DIs and preamps will give me the best chance of presenting good-sounding audio to the modular synth.

Lycka till!

cat_abyss
Common Wiggler

Post by cat_abyss » Tue May 19, 2020 8:27 am

xcc wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 9:02 am
[...] You're not going to hurt it by trying.
Ah, that was my fear. I'll try it and see what happens.

synonymist wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 9:43 am

Hello. It is unclear to me whether you are asking about two applications or one. That is, I can't tell whether "an electric guitar" and "my acoustic guitar [with] the piezo" refer to the same instrument.

If your piezo pickup is not functioning, that is a separate matter, of course. :) But once it is functioning again or is replaced, I think you should have a proper electrical interface for it, to send its audio output to devices such as Morphagene.

My experience is much more with magnetic pickups than piezo pickups. However, I know that piezo pickups want to see a high impedance connection to sound good. 10 mega Ohms is ideal, but down to 1 mega Ohm will suffice (although almost certainly the sound will vary within that range).

For example, a product like this one is designed to do that job specifically, and it includes a variable impedance setting:

Radial Engineering PZ-DI

The Morphagene manual states that "The Signal Inputs (1+2) accommodate modular synthesizer signals, as well as line level sources."

Given that spec, if I were going to play my bass guitars (magnetic pickups) into Morphagene or a similar eurorack module, I would use as an interface one of the excellent DIs or instrument preamps I have. This based on three facts:

1. The audio output levels of my basses is far below typical modular levels, and is also below line level, whereas the DIs and preamps each feature a proper line level output.

2. My DIs and preamps guarantee that my basses' pickups will see a high impedance connection of 1 mega Ohm minimum (though my best tube DIs' input impedance is 12.8 mega Ohm).

3. Thanks to input impedance and other features (optionally including transformers, tubes, or equalization), the DIs and preamps will give me the best chance of presenting good-sounding audio to the modular synth.

Lycka till!
Ah, yeah i was a bit unclear. Originally i had the acoustic+piezo but it seems broken. The electric guitar is a fallback with a magnetic pickup.

Ok, so a DI box is basically meant to give an instrument or piece of equipment an interface with the impedance it wants, and then pass the signal on with an impedance thats reasonable for use with other (studio) equipment? Such a thing might be a worthy investment.

It'd be interesting to see what my mixer expects/provides, but it's very old, i bought it used without a manual, and can't seem to find any information online either.

Tack!

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Tue May 19, 2020 9:06 am

cat_abyss wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:27 am
Ok, so a DI box is basically meant to give an instrument or piece of equipment an interface with the impedance it wants, and then pass the signal on with an impedance thats reasonable for use with other (studio) equipment? Such a thing might be a worthy investment...

Tack!
Du är väldigt välkommen.

More accurately, as in this description of a DI unit at Wikipedia (emphasis added since it mentions level matching):

"A DI unit (direct input) is an electronic device typically used in recording studios and in sound reinforcement systems to connect a high-output impedance, line level, unbalanced output signal to a low-impedance, microphone level, balanced input, usually via an XLR connector and XLR cable. DIs are frequently used to connect an electric guitar or electric bass to a mixing console's microphone input jack. The DI performs level matching, balancing, and either active buffering or passive impedance matching/impedance bridging to minimize unwanted noise, distortion, and ground loops. DI units are typically metal boxes with input and output jacks and, for more expensive units, “ground lift” and attenuator switches."

Since most modern DI's feature an unbalanced line level output in parallel with their balanced output, you would use that for your Morphagene application. Everything else (impedance matching, etc.) would still be in effect.

Hej då!

zerodivide
Veteran Wiggler

Post by zerodivide » Thu May 21, 2020 3:17 pm

Oh oh.. turned on my modular today and Morphagene is outputting super distorted almost bit-crushed crackled audio. Has this happened to anybody? any ideas? This is not good

edit: Moved Morphagene to a 4ms pod and its working fine. So something is up with my Intellijel 4u case?

boom blip
Wiggling with Experience

Post by boom blip » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:52 am

I updated my morphagene and now the text file for the options is empty for me, has anyone had this happen? Any solution?

boom blip
Wiggling with Experience

Post by boom blip » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:29 am

muleskinner wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:12 pm
I have noticed with the new FW that I am getting a lot of bleed from the inputs even if the SOS knob is set all the way to the right.

Strangely I am getting it on everything apart from the highest input gain setting, I'd have thought this would be the worst!?

Anyone else getting this - I tried pushing the SOS knob 'virtually' further using a voltage offset but to no avail.
Did you ever get an answer to this? My morphagene is doing the same thing.

muleskinner
Wiggling with Experience

Post by muleskinner » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:35 am

boom blip wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:29 am
muleskinner wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:12 pm
I have noticed with the new FW that I am getting a lot of bleed from the inputs even if the SOS knob is set all the way to the right.

Strangely I am getting it on everything apart from the highest input gain setting, I'd have thought this would be the worst!?

Anyone else getting this - I tried pushing the SOS knob 'virtually' further using a voltage offset but to no avail.
Did you ever get an answer to this? My morphagene is doing the same thing.
No, I didn't. I got distracted by other things, have been really busy with work and haven't been using it much lately. I'm kind of glad to hear it's not just me though - please post if you do get any further info.
Jamming, Patching and Twiddling: http://bit.ly/facelessmule
Currently Selling (UK): Akemie's Taiko, Plaits

hyperdriver
Learning to Wiggle

Post by hyperdriver » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:27 am

I have some reels on Freesound if anyone is interested

https://freesound.org/people/hyperdriver_one/

optiprime8
Learning to Wiggle

Post by optiprime8 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:01 pm

hyperdriver wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:27 am

Thanks for these, especially the amen reel :sb:

Phitar
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Phitar » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:57 pm

hyperdriver wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:27 am

Interested! Thanks!
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

In adddition to "More Cowbell!" everything should have more REVERB! :tu:

casciato
Common Wiggler

Post by casciato » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:04 pm

Is there a comprehensive list of which audio editing software is capable of adding markers that can be used as splice points and exporting in the proper 32 bit float format? I kind of hate Reaper, don't want to buy Audition and don't have a Mac so Logic is out. What else is there?
Hear my music at my Bandcamp site: E T H E R D I V E R

Look at pictures of my synths and tape recorders and hear the sounds at my Instagram

Fedor
Common Wiggler

Post by Fedor » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:15 pm

Probably Izotope RX, there's a cheap version of it. Also Audacity, that's free.

casciato
Common Wiggler

Post by casciato » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:18 pm

Fedor wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:15 pm
Probably Izotope RX, there's a cheap version of it. Also Audacity, that's free.
:eek:

Audacity works? With markers? I hadn't heard that. Are you sure? Is there any exporting trick you need to do to make it go?

Look at pictures of my synths and tape recorders and hear the sounds at my Instagram

Fedor
Common Wiggler

Post by Fedor » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:31 pm

joeSeggiola
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joeSeggiola » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:33 pm

casciato wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:04 pm
What else is there?
Acon Acoustica, but it's not free.

casciato
Common Wiggler

Post by casciato » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:54 pm

Fedor wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:31 pm
Thanks for the info, but this looks even more cumbersome than Reaper...

I don't know if $129 counts as a "cheap" version of RX but I guess being able to export spliced Reels might help make it worth it if I'm ever in need of its other features. Some day, maybe.
joeSeggiola wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:33 pm

casciato wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:04 pm
What else is there?
Acon Acoustica, but it's not free.
This looks like an option. $59 isn't free, but it's almost cheap...
Last edited by casciato on Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xcc
Veteran Wiggler

Post by xcc » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:55 pm

Ocenaudio is great and has a Windows version for free. https://www.ocenaudio.com/

casciato
Common Wiggler

Post by casciato » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:13 pm

xcc wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:55 pm
Ocenaudio is great and has a Windows version for free. https://www.ocenaudio.com/
Thank you! This is perfect. Even feels like a slightly less raw Audacity, which I am well versed in.

If anyone ends up needing to use this, you'll need to open a new file with the proper Morphagene settings (32 bit, 48k, stereo) and then drag and drop your samples of whatever rate/bit depth in. Add markers using Ctrl + K. Do whatever else you need to do. When you export, use IEEE Float PCM. Took me a couple attempts to get it to work properly.

xcc
Veteran Wiggler

Post by xcc » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:15 pm

casciato wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:13 pm
xcc wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:55 pm
Thank you! This is perfect. Even feels like a slightly less raw Audacity, which I am well versed in.

If anyone ends up needing to use this, you'll need to open a new file with the proper Morphagene settings (32 bit, 48k, stereo) and then drag and drop your samples of whatever rate/bit depth in. Add markers using Ctrl + K. Do whatever else you need to do. When you export, use IEEE Float PCM. Took me a couple attempts to get it to work properly.
Glad it worked for you!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”