MakeNoise Morphagene

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

myworstenemy
Learning to Wiggle

Re: MakeNoise Morphagene

Post by myworstenemy » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:23 pm

Anyone know if you turn the power off to the morphagene, you will lose the patch you've dialed in? Will the loop change essentially, even if I keep my physical patch the same?
I came here for the deetz411.

xcc
Veteran Wiggler

Post by xcc » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:26 pm

myworstenemy wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:23 pm
Anyone know if you turn the power off to the morphagene, you will lose the patch you've dialed in? Will the loop change essentially, even if I keep my physical patch the same?
As long as you have an SD card in it auto saves everything.

Zerstorte Zelle
Common Wiggler

Post by Zerstorte Zelle » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:31 am

I’ve powered down and restored successfully. The rest of the modules also have to restore after power cycle as well.

cat_abyss
Common Wiggler

Post by cat_abyss » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:29 am

myworstenemy wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:23 pm
In a small addition to what other's already said, you might lose parity with other things in your patch if the morphagene is free-running.

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:24 pm

sorry if this has been answered before, but with the "organize immediately" SD card option, can you get (up to 3, if Morph is high enough) genes from different splices playing simultaneously? or does this only apply to genes from the same splice?

(have never used a morphagene but am very curious now)

mother misty
Common Wiggler

Post by mother misty » Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:30 pm

autopoiesis wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:24 pm
sorry if this has been answered before, but with the "organize immediately" SD card option, can you get (up to 3, if Morph is high enough) genes from different splices playing simultaneously? or does this only apply to genes from the same splice?

It does only apply to genes from the same splice.

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:33 pm

mother misty wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:30 pm
autopoiesis wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:24 pm

It does only apply to genes from the same splice.
ah, shame. I like how on Arbhar it's possible to trigger grains from different stored buffers ('layers' ... sort of analogous to splices on the MG) with 'polyphonic' overlap.

(granted, these two modules are fundamentally different in their temporal models of sample manipulation. but equally interesting)

cat_abyss
Common Wiggler

Post by cat_abyss » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:11 pm

Hm! I didn't notice this (usually i have very tiny genes anyway), but what does it mean? If i change to a different splice, all playing genes are switched simultaneously?

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:21 pm

well, someone at Make Noise told me in an email that it might actually work if you have "organize immediately" enabled and switch to a different splice :despair:

here's another: the manual and MN video on the timestretch feature (clock in, Morph at 10:00 or higher) say that the varispeed knob changes pitch without speed, but doesn't say anything about what happens when the knob is counterclockwise before 12:00. does that cause timestretched playback of the splice, but in reverse? davidh seems to pull it off here:

mother misty
Common Wiggler

Post by mother misty » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:14 pm

autopoiesis wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:21 pm
well, someone at Make Noise told me in an email that it might actually work if you have "organize immediately" enabled and switch to a different splice :despair:
You can kind of make layers that way, works without organize immediately as well.
When morph is high enough it will make copies, but when you switch to a different splice to those copies will keep playing on top of the current splice until they reach the end of the splice, the longer your splices are the more interesting this is ofcourse.
autopoiesis wrote:
here's another: the manual and MN video on the timestretch feature (clock in, Morph at 10:00 or higher) say that the varispeed knob changes pitch without speed, but doesn't say anything about what happens when the knob is counterclockwise before 12:00. does that cause timestretched playback of the splice, but in reverse? davidh seems to pull it off here
Yes, when varispeed is CCW it will timestrech in reverse.

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:25 pm

mother misty wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:14 pm
autopoiesis wrote:
You can kind of make layers that way, works without organize immediately as well.
When morph is high enough it will make copies, but when you switch to a different splice to those copies will keep playing on top of the current splice until they reach the end of the splice, the longer your splices are the more interesting this is ofcourse.
autopoiesis wrote:
here's another: the manual and MN video on the timestretch feature (clock in, Morph at 10:00 or higher) say that the varispeed knob changes pitch without speed, but doesn't say anything about what happens when the knob is counterclockwise before 12:00. does that cause timestretched playback of the splice, but in reverse? davidh seems to pull it off here
Yes, when varispeed is CCW it will timestrech in reverse.
bless you ! happy to hear both things are true.

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:31 pm

well, alright, another :)

I quote the manual: "Gene-Size CV IN: Bi-polar control input which sets Gene-Size. Range 0V to +8V."

is "bipolar" the typo or is "0-8v" the typo? or is this a zen koan?

mother misty
Common Wiggler

Post by mother misty » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:43 am

autopoiesis wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:31 pm
well, alright, another :)

I quote the manual: "Gene-Size CV IN: Bi-polar control input which sets Gene-Size. Range 0V to +8V."

is "bipolar" the typo or is "0-8v" the typo? or is this a zen koan?
Haha, well spotted! ;)
"Bipolar" is the typo here (should be unipolar), I think 0-8v is correct (not sure about that).
On the same page of the manual it says that the "Organize" input needs 0-5v, but my experience is different (you'll never reach the last splices of your reel, you need more than 5v for that) .

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:52 am

thanks, that's good to know too. thinking about what modulation sources would pair best with a Morphagene without having to tie up offset-adding utilities -- guess that would be unipolar sources that put out at least 8V in their peak amplitude. Varispeed seems to be the only CV input that doesn't clamp negative voltages

funny how often I've read about folks shoving bipolar modulation, like from Batumi, into Morphagene's gene-size and slide inputs and being happy with the results. I'm sure the results are still fun but I'll stick with unipolar sources

mother misty
Common Wiggler

Post by mother misty » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:07 am

autopoiesis wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:52 am
thanks, that's good to know too. thinking about what modulation sources would pair best with a Morphagene without having to tie up offset-adding utilities -- guess that would be unipolar sources that put out at least 8V in their peak amplitude. Varispeed seems to be the only CV input that doesn't clamp negative voltages

funny how often I've read about folks shoving bipolar modulation, like from Batumi, into Morphagene's gene-size and slide inputs and being happy with the results. I'm sure the results are still fun but I'll stick with unipolar sources
It’s kind of funny when I read the manual now it seems so confusing, but every CV-input will accept negative voltage as well of course depending on the knob position (except the SOS input).
I prefer to use unipolar modulation sources most of the time, but in some situations using bipolar is interesting. Modulating “Gene-Size” can create stutter effects for example, if you would use unipolar you’ll have stutter effects most of the time, but if you use bipolar you’ll have a more sparse modulation since negative voltage won’t have any effect if your knob position is fully CCW.

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:15 am

mother misty wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:07 am
autopoiesis wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:52 am

It’s kind of funny when I read the manual now it seems so confusing, but every CV-input will accept negative voltage as well of course depending on the knob position (except the SOS input).
I prefer to use unipolar modulation sources most of the time, but in some situations using bipolar is interesting. Modulating “Gene-Size” can create stutter effects for example, if you would use unipolar you’ll have stutter effects most of the time, but if you use bipolar you’ll have a more sparse modulation since negative voltage won’t have any effect if your knob position is fully CCW.
oh, interesting

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:09 am

An important design element of most MN moduled is the addition of attenuverters and offsets on the panel. Helps a lot with modulation, regardless of source. That being said I love using my ADDAC306 with both Morphagene and QPAS.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

colb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by colb » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:37 pm

Had my Morphagene for a couple of months now, and definitely enjoying it, but I'm struggling to fully understand how to control timestretch.

I can setup timestretch and get it working, but I can't work out how the clock rate at the clock input relates to the time it takes to play through a full splice. Speeding up the clock and slowing it down does change the playback speed without changing the pitch, But I really want to understand how to calculate what clock division (or multiplication) to use in order to get a splice to stay in time with other content.

e.g. If I record an eight step chunk of a pattern as a slice, I initially assumed that to play that back at 'normal speed' I would plug the song clock in and it would work, but no dice. Sometimes I need double speed, sometimes some triplet based fraction, there seems to be no logic to it, and the manual doesn't really help.

Jumbuktu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jumbuktu » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:18 pm

I don't think Morphagene was ever intended to implement time stretch in the sense of being able to accurately adjust length to a specific requirement (like in Acid loops). It's more of a way of producing interesting effects. I have been able to get specific lengths by just manually adjusting the clock, but there are better tools for manipulating slice lengths (e.g. the SampleSlicer module).

colb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by colb » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:30 pm

Jumbuktu wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:18 pm
I don't think Morphagene was ever intended to implement time stretch in the sense of being able to accurately adjust length to a specific requirement (like in Acid loops). It's more of a way of producing interesting effects.
Yeah, I get that, it's kind of their philosophy in general.
"Search between the notes to find the unfound sounds" lol, I went to art college, and I thought I'd heard all the bullshit - turns out I was wrong :party:
They were resistant to the idea of 1v/oct control of pitch as well, but that is a great and very useful addition IMO.
I guess what I really want to understand is: 'If it doesn't work as I expected, how does it work?', then I would have a starting point for using that feature.
I mean, is it completely random? Does it measure the first trigger gap after the clock is inserted and normalise to that? Does it have a hard-coded time interval that it uses as a base - like 125ms ? Does it use some combination of one or more other control settings? or something completely different?
I have been able to get specific lengths by just manually adjusting the clock, but there are better tools for manipulating slice lengths (e.g. the SampleSlicer module).
I have managed to get it set to 'kind of' work with manual tweaking, but I'm lazy and want to understand it well enough that I can get it to do the work for me. Programmers brain is what I have! I want to know - by thinking - which clock division to use and where to set the controls so I don't have to keep re-patching everything over and over until I find the one that's closest to my goal.

technomania
Common Wiggler

Post by technomania » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:19 pm

Anyone else have a little white noise / hiss in their morphagene audio path? I have an Intellijel case so I’m hopeful it’s not my supply. Could it be firmware or a hardware issue?

elinch
Learning to Wiggle

Post by elinch » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:37 am

I installed the old software 157 on my morphagenes again. In the current software, the two audio inputs were too noisy in every setting.

mudlogger
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mudlogger » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:07 pm

Here's a new reel I posted to freesound called Cannon Fodder V2

These are live acoustic recordings i made with a Sony PCMM10 around the house / farm in Thailand. They concentrate on the percussive hits, scrapes, cuts, frogs, insects, water wells, metal farm things, gongs, railings, fans, crushed snail shells, creaks, dogs, drips and clicks. Useful for musique concrete artists.

https://freesound.org/people/mudlogger/sounds/536932/

hyperdriver
Learning to Wiggle

Post by hyperdriver » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:16 am

optiprime8 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:01 pm
hyperdriver wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:27 am
I have some reels on Freesound if anyone is interested

https://freesound.org/people/hyperdriver_one/
Thanks for these, especially the amen reel :sb:
Yeah, good one that, even though I say so myself

kylverstone
Common Wiggler

Post by kylverstone » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:07 am

mudlogger wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:07 pm
Here's a new reel I posted to freesound called Cannon Fodder V2

These are live acoustic recordings i made with a Sony PCMM10 around the house / farm in Thailand. They concentrate on the percussive hits, scrapes, cuts, frogs, insects, water wells, metal farm things, gongs, railings, fans, crushed snail shells, creaks, dogs, drips and clicks. Useful for musique concrete artists.

https://freesound.org/people/mudlogger/sounds/536932/
Some great stuff on this reel, just my kind of thing. Thank you for the upload!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”