MakeNoise Morphagene

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: MakeNoise Morphagene

Post by autopoiesis » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:58 pm

uhh, anyone have tips about how to stop Morphagene (firmware mg203) from overwriting options.txt with the factory defaults every damn time you stick it in the module? this never happened to me before with the previous firmware and same microSD. I have even tried restricting write access on the file after editing it (`chmod a-w options.txt`), and of course have also tried reformatting the card (FAT32, as per the manual).

emailed Make Noise but I'm hoping someone else has encountered this before and responds before they get around to it. cheers

[edit: turns out it was a partially corrupted firmware update.]

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:07 pm

as I expected, pretty much the most tripped out sounds can be found in mimeophon and morphagene clocking each other (EOSG into mimeophon, mimeophon into morphagene) with the morphagene envelope follower output modulating Zone and/or gene size. nudge morphagene into and out of "synchronous granulation" mode (where the clock steps through genes) and process one's audio through the other obviously. love that they form a chaotic system together so easily

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re:

Post by autopoiesis » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:37 pm

ferrihydrite wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:29 pm
[video][/video]

Here's my attempt at onset/transient detection!

More info in the Imgur post:

https://imgur.com/gallery/xC1fUL8
this is great! for Python folks, the code gist is here .

with a little tweaking, you can choose how many evenly-spaced splices it will automatically cut the reel into (along timepoints that librosa detects onsets at). I shared a suggestion in the gist comments.

so how to test a transient-based auto-splicer? with the amen break, I guess:

(evenly spliced across 16 onset markers, Morphagene into Mimeophon and the two of them modulating each others' clocks' etc)

StrangeAttraction
Wiggling with Experience

Post by StrangeAttraction » Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:47 pm

Old topic...
Can you get Cue markers/Splices in Ableton?
This guy is doing it with Locators and just exporting directly from Ableton to an SD card, it appears.

Anyone with Ableton and Morphagene wants to give this a go?
(mine MG is still on its way)

cat_abyss
Common Wiggler

Post by cat_abyss » Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:26 am

I could have a go at my lunch break in a few hours...

koyl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by koyl » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:04 am

Ableton has no option to export marker info so it won't work.

StrangeAttraction
Wiggling with Experience

Post by StrangeAttraction » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:36 am

I think you're sadly right.
Also, I watched his export settings again...he exported a 24bit file...instead of a 32bit float, so that smells off ...
koyl wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:04 am
Ableton has no option to export marker info so it won't work.

cat_abyss
Common Wiggler

Post by cat_abyss » Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:46 pm

Yeah sorry for late reply (i forgot). Didn't work :confused:

Weird to put that in the video then...

PianoPets
Common Wiggler

Post by PianoPets » Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:22 pm

I am experiencing an issue with the Morphagene that's driving me crazy (or maybe I am doing something wrong). Can anyone help?

The problem is, that I cannot make Morphagene play back an entire splice/recording no matter what I do. I do the following:

Recording:
After clearing all reels and splices (holding down Shift and Rec for 3 seconds several times) I make a new recording by pressing Rec + Splice (or just Rec). SOS is turned fully CCW and the sound is coming through fine. To stop the recording, I press Rec. Shift flashes for a couple of seconds to indicate saving. All is fine.

Playback:
I turn SOS fully CW.
Gene Size, Morph, Slide and Organize are all turned fully CCW.
No external CW is send to the module.
I turn Vari-Speed to about 3:00 so the light turns green to indicate 1:1 playback.

Problem:
The sound is coming through fine. But only part of the recording plays before the splice-button blinks and the playback resets to start. For example, I have just recorded 15 seconds of audio. But the playback resets after about 8 seconds.

I would expect the module to playback the whole recording 1:1 with these settings (?).

I have checked the recorded audio file from the memory card on the computer, and all 15 seconds are there. And I can play the whole audio file on the computer. No problem. But Morphagene only plays part of it.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance.
".... I have attempted to replace the element of skill considered necessary in music by the skill of judgement."
- Brian Eno.

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:55 pm

PianoPets wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:22 pm
Playback:
I turn SOS fully CW.
I turn Vari-Speed to about 3:00 so the light turns green to indicate 1:1 playback.
What's going on with PLAY? There is a preference that allows MG to play only when a gate to play is high.Also if you're clocking it, there are some settings that will sort of step-through it (check the manual for a better description of how that works...)

PianoPets
Common Wiggler

Post by PianoPets » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:57 am

luketeaford wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:55 pm
PianoPets wrote:
Playback:
I turn SOS fully CW.
What's going on with PLAY? There is a preference that allows MG to play only when a gate to play is high.Also if you're clocking it, there are some settings that will sort of step-through it (check the manual for a better description of how that works...)
Thanks for the input. Much appreciated!

According to the manual, the input of Play is normalled high when nothing is patched. I have nothing patched so it should not interrupt the playback (I think). Just to make sure, I made a test and patched a continuous high gate to Play. But it didn't change anything. The playback still resets before reaching the end of the recording.

I've noticed, that as soon as I have made a recording the Splice button starts to blink at regular intervals (even when Vari-Speed is set to 12:00 = no playback). The reset of the playback matches these intervals, which makes sense since a blink here indicates End of Splice. But it baffles me, since I have not made any splice markers at this point. And even when holding shift and pressing Splice to erase any accidental splice markers, the blinking continues.

It's like something is clocking the MG. But I have no patch cables attached.

I have read the manual but I can't find anything that should cause this behavior.

Hm, what to do?
".... I have attempted to replace the element of skill considered necessary in music by the skill of judgement."
- Brian Eno.

colb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by colb » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:19 am

PianoPets wrote:

Playback:
I turn SOS fully CW.
Afair, morph should not be fully counter-clockwise. Turn it to about 9 o-clock or 8:30ish... where it turns the indicator led yellow.

Also check your configuration settings.

EDIT: confirmed, morph fully counterclockwise will cause a gap in the playback, adjust it to about 8:30 on the dial so the indicator to the left of the varispeed knob turns to yellow.
Last edited by colb on Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:01 am

PianoPets wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:57 am

I have read the manual but I can't find anything that should cause this behavior.

Hm, what to do?
Yeah, sounds like something mechanical might be going on-- have you written to technical@makenoisemusic.com?

Do you have the standard options set up in the textfile? I don't think there's anything that would cause the behavior you're seeing. Have you tried using the MG without the SD card? I'll play around and see if I can create this issue.

Dob
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dob » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:34 am

Maybe I should have posted this issue here?

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=239923&sid=7002883 ... 68280dd30c

If so, maybe a moderator can move it into this topic.

PianoPets
Common Wiggler

Post by PianoPets » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:45 am

colb wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:19 am
Afair, morph should not be fully counter-clockwise. Turn it to about 9 o-clock or 8:30ish... where it turns the indicator led yellow.

Also check your configuration settings.

EDIT: confirmed, morph fully counterclockwise will cause a gap in the playback, adjust it to about 8:30 on the dial so the indicator to the left of the varispeed knob turns to yellow.
Thanks. Much appreciated.

Turning Morph to about 9:00 (yellow led) removes the gap between playbacks. But the playback still only loops part of the recording without ever reaching the end.

I am thinking about updating the firmware as the next step just in case the text-file is corrupted somehow.
- Brian Eno.

PianoPets
Common Wiggler

Post by PianoPets » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:55 am

luketeaford wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:01 am
PianoPets wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:57 am

Hm, what to do?
Yeah, sounds like something mechanical might be going on-- have you written to technical@makenoisemusic.com?

Do you have the standard options set up in the textfile? I don't think there's anything that would cause the behavior you're seeing. Have you tried using the MG without the SD card? I'll play around and see if I can create this issue.
Thanks again :tu:

Yes, I have tried to use the MG without the SD-card. But the problem is still there.

I am not sure how to decipher the textfile. So I think the next step might be to just download and overwrite the firmware on the module. Just in case the textfile is corrupted somehow.

And if that doesn't help, I will try and contact technical@makenoisemusic.com.

I will write an update in here as soon as I have tried any of these solutions in case other users experience the same problem.

Thanks again.
- Brian Eno.

colb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by colb » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:15 pm

PianoPets wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:55 am

I am not sure how to decipher the textfile. So I think the next step might be to just download and overwrite the firmware on the module. Just in case the textfile is corrupted somehow.
You could post the text file here, but I'm not sure that will help as I can't think of any settings that would cause the problem you're having with the setup you describe.

One thing you should definitely do though is load the wave files on the card into your computer and listen to them there. That way you can find if the problem is in the recording or the playback. No point in worrying about playback settings if the recording is at fault. If you have Reaper, you can also see where the splice points are...

Do you have any CV connected while recording? particularly clocks or gates?

PianoPets
Common Wiggler

Post by PianoPets » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:32 am

colb wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:15 pm
One thing you should definitely do though is load the wave files on the card into your computer and listen to them there. That way you can find if the problem is in the recording or the playback. No point in worrying about playback settings if the recording is at fault. If you have Reaper, you can also see where the splice points are...

Thanks for the tips.

I listened to the wave file on the computer. No problem. Everything is there. So I guess the problem relates to the playback and not the recording.

I have no CV connected. No clocks and no gates. So it’s a fairly simple setup.

I think I will contact Make Noise later today. Maybe there’s an easy fix. Or maybe it’s just me :huh:

Thanks again.
- Brian Eno.

BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BaloErets » Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:00 pm

PianoPets wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:32 am
colb wrote:

Thanks for the tips.

I listened to the wave file on the computer. No problem. Everything is there. So I guess the problem relates to the playback and not the recording.

I think I will contact Make Noise later today. Maybe there’s an easy fix. Or maybe it’s just me :huh:

Thanks again.
An option could be to upload a certain file that you seem to be having trouble with along with your options.txt. I would be happy to load it into my Morphagene to see if I have the same behaviour on mine. Could help to rule out (no offence meant whatsoever) user error. The Morph can be hard to tame at times

PianoPets
Common Wiggler

Post by PianoPets » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:04 am

BaloErets wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:00 pm
PianoPets wrote:
colb wrote:

Thanks for the tips.

Thanks again.
An option could be to upload a certain file that you seem to be having trouble with along with your options.txt. I would be happy to load it into my Morphagene to see if I have the same behaviour on mine. Could help to rule out (no offence meant whatsoever) user error. The Morph can be hard to tame at times
Thanks! And no offence taken ;) I am very open to the possibility of a user error myself.

In the meantime, I have contacted Make Noise. They seem very responsive, so that’s cool. We haven’t come to a conclusion yet, but I am optimistic. And I will post an update if we find a solution.

If that doesn’t happen, I would like to take advantage of your offer to check one of my audio files on your unit, if that’s ok?

Untill then: Thanks for responding! I appreciate it.
- Brian Eno.

PianoPets
Common Wiggler

Post by PianoPets » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:32 am

PianoPets wrote:
I am experiencing an issue with the Morphagene that's driving me crazy (or maybe I am doing something wrong). Can anyone help?

The problem is, that I cannot make Morphagene play back an entire splice/recording no matter what I do.
Normally, I wouldn't quote myself. But I just wanted to give a short follow-up in case other Morphagene users experience the same problem as I did.

After a couple of E-mails back and forth with Walker (from Make Noise - they have been very supportive), the conclusion is that the problem with the Morphagene not playing the entire audio recording is due to a technical problem with my specific unit. It seems that the Gene Size control will not reach the bottom of its range without an external voltage patched.

That is something they test for in the QC process at Make Noise. But somehow this unit made it out with this problem anyway.

Though it's a bit cumbersome with the forthcoming replacement / repairment process, I'm kind of reliefed in that it wasn't just me doing something wrong ;)

Thanks to everyone above who responded and did their best to help. Much appreciated :tu:
- Brian Eno.

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:04 pm

ggillon wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:23 am
McRINdk wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:42 am
can I ask what knob size you used 5, 6 ?
Sure! It was these ones

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/make-no ... 726849-01/

I think they are Rogan PT 5 PS
this was a good tip ! 5PS fits perfectly and Varispeed feels noticeably less touchy now

blaythe.steuer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by blaythe.steuer » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:15 pm

anyone here ever make dj scratching style sounds w a morphagene?

i’m quite curious about this and a fader module or maybe even a joystick module to output CV would be easy to sort out :)

BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BaloErets » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:42 am

PianoPets wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:32 am
PianoPets wrote:

The problem is, that I cannot make Morphagene play back an entire splice/recording no matter what I do.
Normally, I wouldn't quote myself. But I just wanted to give a short follow-up in case other Morphagene users experience the same problem as I did.

After a couple of E-mails back and forth with Walker (from Make Noise - they have been very supportive), the conclusion is that the problem with the Morphagene not playing the entire audio recording is due to a technical problem with my specific unit. It seems that the Gene Size control will not reach the bottom of its range without an external voltage patched.

That is something they test for in the QC process at Make Noise. But somehow this unit made it out with this problem anyway.

Though it's a bit cumbersome with the forthcoming replacement / repairment process, I'm kind of reliefed in that it wasn't just me doing something wrong ;)

Thanks to everyone above who responded and did their best to help. Much appreciated :tu:
Great to hear you found out what the problem was. Although not the optimal outcome, I'm sure you'll be having such a relieving experience with your Morphagene once you have a working module in your hands.

peabreu
Common Wiggler

Post by peabreu » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:01 am

I have exactly the same issue and is driving me nuts...
PianoPets wrote:
colb wrote:

Thanks for the tips.

Thanks again.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”