MakeNoise Morphagene

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

PianoPets
Common Wiggler

Re: MakeNoise Morphagene

Post by PianoPets » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:42 pm

peabreu wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:01 am
I have exactly the same issue and is driving me nuts...
I'm sorry to hear that. Issues like these can be quite frustrating...

In my case, the guys at Make Noise concluded that the unit was defective. The Gene Size control would not reach the bottom of its range without an external voltage patched.

If you have Maths, you can test for this specific defect by doing the following: Patch the Ch2 output of MATHS to the Gene Size input of MG, with nothing in the Ch2 input. Turn Gene Size all the way counter-clockwise, the Gene Size input attenuverter all the way counter-clockwise, and the MATHS Ch2 knob all the way clockwise.

In my case, this solved the problem. You can of course use other modules than Maths for this test.

I hope this will solve your problem, too.
".... I have attempted to replace the element of skill considered necessary in music by the skill of judgement."
- Brian Eno.

peabreu
Common Wiggler

Post by peabreu » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:21 pm

As I do not recall having this behaviour before, I decided to reinstall the firmware and gave a good wiggle to the gene button, well I do not know what was the responsable but apparently all is good now. Thanks.

d2ba
Common Wiggler

Post by d2ba » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:23 pm

Would you recommend I get the Morphagene to go with my early shared system? ===im loving the Phonogene so will substitute rather than replace !
I have this system here-CV Bus Shared System (Retired)
https://www.makenoisemusic.com/synthesi ... stem-cvbus

joeSeggiola
Common Wiggler

Post by joeSeggiola » Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:42 pm

It's incredible how easy you can automatically chew audio like in Keith Fullerton Whitman's Greatest Hits using the right combination of good splices and fine-tuned modulation.

Down here's how I used Brian Eno's iconic six-seconds Windows 95 startup sound to randomly generate one hour of ambient music. The only challenge was to setup slow modulations to slightly change the Morphagene parameters on a scale of minutes and tens of minutes (in summary: a couple sampled and smoothed noise signals in MI Stages, mixed and tamed in Veils). Just like KFW says, it's about "revealing hidden layers of content, context, and temporal/spectral production details... like shining a flashlight into the dark corners of each selection, exposing the hidden ghosts lurking within".

Last edited by joeSeggiola on Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Back Down the Path
Common Wiggler

Post by Back Down the Path » Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:56 pm

joeSeggiola wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:42 pm
It's incredible how easy you can automatically chew audio like in Keith Fullerton Whitman's Greatest Hits using the right combination of good splices and fine-tuned modulation.

Down here's how I used Brian Eno's iconic six-second Windows 95 startup sound to randomly generate one hour of ambient music. The only challenge was to setup slow modulations to slightly change the Morphagene parameters on a scale of minutes and tens of minutes (in summary: a couple sampled and smoothed noise signals in MI Stages, mixed and tamed in Veils). Just like KFW says, it's about "revealing hidden layers of content, context, and temporal/spectral production details... like shining a flashlight into the dark corners of each selection, exposing the hidden ghosts lurking within".

Inspiring work. This module rewards planning out your samples and slices more than any other. But somehow also rewards random patching and sampling.

It’s the one module I always think to myself , “do I really need this?” and then I plug the audio into my mixer and hear what I was working on last time and answer that question very quickly.

Zerstorte Zelle
Common Wiggler

Post by Zerstorte Zelle » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:50 pm

joeSeggiola wrote:

Down here's how I used Brian Eno's iconic six-second Windows 95 startup sound to randomly generate one hour of ambient music. The only challenge was to setup slow modulations to slightly change the Morphagene parameters on a scale of minutes and tens of minutes (in summary: a couple sampled and smoothed noise signals in MI Stages, mixed and tamed in Veils). Just like KFW says, it's about "revealing hidden layers of content, context, and temporal/spectral production details... like shining a flashlight into the dark corners of each selection, exposing the hidden ghosts lurking within".

great stuff!

joeSeggiola
Common Wiggler

Post by joeSeggiola » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:55 pm

Back Down the Path wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:56 pm
Inspiring work. This module rewards planning out your samples and slices more than any other. But somehow also rewards random patching and sampling.
Absolutely. Every time I sit down with a specific plan in mind, I get lost in something completely different. Like, it's hard to focus when any accidental knob turn is capable of revealing interesting "hidden" sounds. This is especially true when there are FX down the chain, like reverbs (in my video, it's a full-wet stereo plate from Digitech Supernatural), delays, etc...

mother misty
Common Wiggler

Post by mother misty » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:08 pm

joeSeggiola wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:55 pm
Absolutely. Every time I sit down with a specific plan in mind, I get lost in something completely different. Like, it's hard to focus when any accidental knob turn is capable of revealing interesting "hidden" sounds. This is especially true when there are FX down the chain, like reverbs (in my video, it's a full-wet stereo plate from Digitech Supernatural), delays, etc...
Haha, good to know!
I couldn't really figure out how you achieved that buttery smooth sound with Morphagene :hihi:
Awesome stuff btw! :tu:

Phitar
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Phitar » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:17 pm

IS THIS MORPHAGENE ABUSE??

The last couple of weeks now I've been setting up the morphagene with various sound files with no splices and have the audio as background "Music" while I work on the PC. A super long modulation from NLC Triple Sloths makes the morph's backround music change over time.

Just like that! Did you hear that? Shit! U Shoulda been there! :headbang:

Never mind. If this is Morphagene abuse I plan on doing it on a regular basis.

Love my Morph.
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

In adddition to "More Cowbell!" everything should have more REVERB! :tu:

Naenyn
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Naenyn » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:52 pm

Is there a list anywhere or what apps can create proper metadata markers that the Morphagene will recognize as splice markers? Based on a little reading in this thread and elsewhere, I’ve found the following that can:
  • Reaper
  • Logic Pro X
  • Adobe Audition
  • iZotope RX 5+
Are there others?
-n :ninja:

My racks on ModularGrid
Find me on Discord

joeSeggiola
Common Wiggler

Post by joeSeggiola » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:21 pm

Naenyn wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:52 pm
Is there a list anywhere or what apps can create proper metadata markers that the Morphagene will recognize as splice markers?
There's Acon Acoustica that works too (I use it everytime) and probably WaveLab (I used it in the past). Also, if you just need to join some WAV files as splices for a reel, you can use this online tool. Remember if you do it yourself that the output file must always be 32bit / 48kHz / stereo.

Naenyn
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Naenyn » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:13 pm

joeSeggiola wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:21 pm
There's Acon Acoustica that works too (I use it everytime) and probably WaveLab (I used it in the past).
Thanks for the info! I knew about that site, but not Acoustica or WaveLab. Thanks especially for the tip about Acoustica. It seems like a very nice program. Are the markers that Morphagene expects called "Labels" in Acoustica-speak? As opposed to "Region" markers?
-n :ninja:

My racks on ModularGrid
Find me on Discord

joeSeggiola
Common Wiggler

Post by joeSeggiola » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:43 am

Naenyn wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:13 pm
Are the markers that Morphagene expects called "Labels" in Acoustica-speak? As opposed to "Region" markers?
Yes, they're labels, placed in between what Morphagene calls splices: if you have four splices, there will be three labels in the file.

_cyberAnalog_
Learning to Wiggle

Re: MakeNoise Morphagene (Makes Noises)

Post by _cyberAnalog_ » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:51 pm

Morphagene operating noises. Heard by human ears.

Morphagene literary Makes Noises, as stated by some people there: https://llllllll.co/t/morphagene-noise- ... s/11159/70
According to them, it is considered "normal" by the manufacturer and you either have to live with it or give it back.
(However, some posters there find it difficult to distinguish between the subjects of "operating noise" and "noise of the audio output".)

Before buying, I was hoping mine wouldn't make any noise, but it does.
It's a high-pitched hiss, around 7 kHz, with some higher harmonics.
The volume is not too high, so that you do not notice it while the music is playing, but it's very annoying anyway.

Tested with a 4ms pod case and an Intellijel 7U case, with different power supplies and in different rooms.

Unfortunately, I will return mine to the seller.

1) Is the operating noise that bad for you too? How can you live with that? :)

2) What is the best "substitute" for a Morphagene? I thought of getting a QuBit Nebulae V2 because I like the granular topic there.

The picture is a spectrogram of a recording that I made with Zoom H6 built-in microphones.
After connecting the power supply, some noises will appear immediately, while others will start a few seconds later.
Also, see the video: https://youtu.be/QzWUpNoRUI0

Attachments
Morphagene-Zischen.png

tdallas
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tdallas » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:17 am

_cyberAnalog_ wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:51 pm

2) What is the best "substitute" for a Morphagene? I thought of getting a QuBit Nebulae V2 because I like the granular topic there.
I've asked Make Noise about this opertaing noise and they said to me, that this is due to the "unique way of working" of the Morphagene ;-) I kept mine but it is sitting independently in a 4ms pod (also because I don't want to keep it running when unused). I can't answer your second question since I do not own other modules similar to "The Morph".

helix
Ultra Wiggler

Post by helix » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:42 am

joeSeggiola wrote:

This is so cool. it's instantly confirmed that i want a morphagene. Already been toying with the idea, and i will need to sell something to get it. I think i will sell my DPO (sad face) as i rarely actualyl use it to its potential. Sure it sounds amazing ,but i only really use it's wave folder. And there's heaps of those about for much less money! I think i would feel constantly inspired bychopping up sounds like this and making atmospherics and textures unheard before.
FOR SALE: M.N DPO. X0X HEART, CHORD V2, SENSIBLE OFFERS! UK

https://michaeldow.bandcamp.com/album/m ... light-side
https://soundcloud.com/obleomusic

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:03 am

tdallas wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:17 am
_cyberAnalog_ wrote:
I've asked Make Noise about this opertaing noise and they said to me, that this is due to the "unique way of working" of the Morphagene ;-)
I love my Morphagene but that some bullshit :foul:

Same deal with all of MN's replies about Mimeophon's "gated noise issue", until someone finally got a clarifying answer that the module is always using noise to possibly excite the delay into self-oscillation when Repeats is cranked. Now my curiosity is piqued about the real reason these artifacts are a necessary byproduct or mechanism of Morphagene's special sauce.

FWIW I have not noticed this kind of high frequency noise in my Morphagene. It may very well be there but it's certainly less apparent than Mimeophon's, and whatever it is has certainly never bothered me.

tdallas
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tdallas » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:29 am

autopoiesis wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:03 am
tdallas wrote:
_cyberAnalog_ wrote:
I've asked Make Noise about this opertaing noise and they said to me, that this is due to the "unique way of working" of the Morphagene ;-)
[...] FWIW I have not noticed this kind of high frequency noise in my Morphagene. It may very well be there but it's certainly less apparent than Mimeophon's, and whatever it is has certainly never bothered me.
Maybe I have missed the topic (not a native speaker) but from my understanding the "operating noise" is describing the high hiss/clicking which is coming from the Morphagene itself as a "unique technical device" and has nothing to do with in the audio signal? Or does the Mimeophon also emit such sounds? :hmm: on mine it is subliminally audible all the time, especially when there are operations on the SD card. Sometimes it sounds a bit nostalgic, like when a server is accessing a mechanical hard or compact disk ;) maybe that is the secret special sauce of the Morphagene!

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:55 am

tdallas wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:29 am
autopoiesis wrote:
tdallas wrote:
_cyberAnalog_ wrote:
[...] FWIW I have not noticed this kind of high frequency noise in my Morphagene. It may very well be there but it's certainly less apparent than Mimeophon's, and whatever it is has certainly never bothered me.
Maybe I have missed the topic (not a native speaker) but from my understanding the "operating noise" is describing the high hiss/clicking which is coming from the Morphagene itself as a "unique technical device" and has nothing to do with in the audio signal? Or does the Mimeophon also emit such sounds? :hmm: on mine it is subliminally audible all the time, especially when there are operations on the SD card. Sometimes it sounds a bit nostalgic, like when a server is accessing a mechanical hard or compact disk ;) maybe that is the secret special sauce of the Morphagene!
Oh, haha, you're talking about acoustic noise the module makes. Not noise in its audio outputs. Never mind.

Yeah, when I put my ear close to the module, I can hear a high-frequency sound. It does a whirring thing while it's reading from the SD card that reminds me a bit of stuff I've heard on DMT in the presence of the elves. That's probably what's going on under the hood.

Besfar
Common Wiggler

Post by Besfar » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:23 pm

Haha

Tomorrow Sounds Good
Common Wiggler

Post by Tomorrow Sounds Good » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:26 pm

autopoiesis wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:55 am
tdallas wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:29 am
autopoiesis wrote:
tdallas wrote:
_cyberAnalog_ wrote:
Oh, haha, you're talking about acoustic noise the module makes. Not noise in its audio outputs. Never mind.

Yeah, when I put my ear close to the module, I can hear a high-frequency sound. It does a whirring thing while it's reading from the SD card that reminds me a bit of stuff I've heard on DMT in the presence of the elves. That's probably what's going on under the hood.
🤣🤣

elinch
Learning to Wiggle

Post by elinch » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:59 am

"playing the morphagene and looping with tapographic delay. a minimal piece around a morphagene reel."

00:00 make noise morphagene (simple sawtooth tones from the ems vcs3) /// Erica synths mixer / 4ms tapographic delay
01:58 bass /// make noise sto / sequenced by alm Pamelas new workout

recorded live with tascam dr 100.

Zerstorte Zelle
Common Wiggler

Post by Zerstorte Zelle » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:05 am

elinch wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:59 am
"playing the morphagene and looping with tapographic delay. a minimal piece around a morphagene reel."

00:00 make noise morphagene (simple sawtooth tones from the ems vcs3) /// Erica synths mixer / 4ms tapographic delay
01:58 bass /// make noise sto / sequenced by alm Pamelas new workout

recorded live with tascam dr 100.

Awesome work!

nihile_tropes
Common Wiggler

Post by nihile_tropes » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:58 am

I've recently encountered a new problem with the Morphagene. It just won't behave normally in my new case as it invariably locks up during start-up, displaying purple lights all over and not reacting to any knob movements or inputs. Make Noise say it might be a compatibility issue with the PSU (ACL Lo Noize) which possibly doesn't ramp up to 12V fast enough. Have any of you had similar experiences? Any solution to this problem other than selling it, which I really want to avoid?

Dark Barn
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dark Barn » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:08 am

nihile_tropes wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:58 am
I've recently encountered a new problem with the Morphagene. It just won't behave normally in my new case as it invariably locks up during start-up, displaying purple lights all over and not reacting to any knob movements or inputs. Make Noise say it might be a compatibility issue with the PSU (ACL Lo Noize) which possibly doesn't ramp up to 12V fast enough. Have any of you had similar experiences? Any solution to this problem other than selling it, which I really want to avoid?
You could try a WMD soft start module:

https://wmdevices.com/products/soft-start-module
I’ve been searchin’ for the dolphins in the sea

The Weak in Review - podcast in ((poetic_stere0)) Spotify YouTube

Return to “Eurorack Modules”