Malekko SYNC

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Malekko SYNC

Post by Daisuk » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:12 pm

Couldn't find a thread for this.

https://malekkoheavyindustry.com/product/sync/

4hp – SYNC your modular to your computer or other hardware MIDI gear via USB or Malekko Pink MIDI/3.5 cable (included). Class compliant on both PC and Mac. MORE BELOW!

---

Interested to hear how this performs with Ableton Live running on Windows 7. If anyone's using that combo, feedback would be much appreciated![/img]
Last edited by Daisuk on Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:29 pm

that's not the sync module.. that's the send retun.

here's the sync

https://malekkoheavyindustry.com/product/sync/

Sync your modular to your computer or other hardware MIDI gear via USB or Malekko Pink MIDI/3.5 cable (included). Class compliant on both PC and Mac.

FEATURS INCLUDE:

USB connection
Reset output
Fixed 1/16 note clock output
Variable clock output
MIDI in (over 3.5mm)
MIDI out/thru (over 3.5mm)
Expander module ready (see Malekko CV/GATE and DIN SYNC modules)
4hp
+12v/-12v

CV/Gate is an expander module for Malekko Sync (connects via 6-pin cable included). Malekko SYNC sends incoming MIDI information or trigger information to CV/GATE expander outputs in 3 selectable modes (Mono, Poly and Drum Trigger Modes).

Features include:

4 sets of CV/Gate connections
3 way mode switch
Modes : Mono (MIDI channels 1-4 sent separately out cv/gate jacks 1-4), Poly (4 notes sent over channel 1 to the 4 cv/gate jacks), Drum Trigger (notes C1-G1 send gates out of the 8 jacks).
3hp
+12v/-12v

DIN SYNC is an 4 output expander module with selectable divide (1,2,4) for use with Malekko SYNC. Connects to SYNC via 6-pin cable (included).

4hp
+12v/-12v

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:32 pm

Thanks, ignatius, not sure what happened there, was sure I was pasting the SYNC-module. :hmm:

digits
Common Wiggler

Post by digits » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:54 am

Anybody using this yet? I'm looking to start writing some sequences with Ableton for my eurorack rig, was thinking about picking up this and the cv expander...

303ish
Common Wiggler

Post by 303ish » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:00 pm

+1 interested in user reviews... How tight is the midi clock? I'm using the hexinverter midi2cv and I'm sorry to say but the clock is not very usable.

I usually run Ableton as my master clock, so I was thinking about a Link to clock diy workaround, but maybe the Malekko Sync could be the answer. I really like the extra clock and reset outputs.

I'm also curious about what the midi out does exactly...

Tonescape
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tonescape » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:19 am

303ish wrote:+1 interested in user reviews... How tight is the midi clock? I'm using the hexinverter midi2cv and I'm sorry to say but the clock is not very usable.

I usually run Ableton as my master clock, so I was thinking about a Link to clock diy workaround, but maybe the Malekko Sync could be the answer. I really like the extra clock and reset outputs.

I'm also curious about what the midi out does exactly...
I have no experience with the Malekko Sync (Yet), but I can say that no modern computer can deliver tight midi clock, so your issues most likely comes from the source rather then the converter.

This little gizmo turned up recently, and looks very useful if you are on ableton:

http://cdm.link/2017/02/now-can-sync-ab ... pen-board/

Alternatively, it is quite easy to make a steady clock if you have a spare audio output avilable, since you can use a sample of a trigger (You don't need DC coupled interfaces for triggers).
You can find a sample here:
viewtopic.php?t=32072

If you have more outputs available, you could easily make reset/retriggers as well, all controlled from ableton.

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:14 pm

quick jam this morning in the shop w/the Sync and CV/Gate.

tiptop drums triggered via ableton. clocking the DLD and also Voltage block. Timing of these is impressive and rock solid. i threw a bunch of rolls in there and fast hihats and also did some fuckery with changing the tempo around in ableton while changing clips and everything stayed right on.

these are no brainer DAW integration modules. haven't hooked up a hardware midi sequencer yet but we have a machine drum here i might use for sequencing in a bit. but really.. so easy. just plugged in a USB cable.. ableton saw the midi device.. made a channel in live and then patched up the modular.

[video][/video]

10 Miles High
Common Wiggler

Post by 10 Miles High » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:28 pm

OP says it is class compliant.

So it should work with an iPad? Did anyone try this ?

10 Mh

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:31 pm

here's another one w/an MD getting midi clock from the SYnc.. ableton clips playing some drums on the modular and clocking DLD and voltage block. all plays nice together

[video][/video]

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:33 pm

10 Miles High wrote:OP says it is class compliant.

So it should work with an iPad? Did anyone try this ?

10 Mh
i asked Ben from Malekko and he said "it should" be able to be used w/an iPad.. but didn't sound like it was something they explored. :despair:

he said anything that sees class compliant USB should be able to access it.

we don't have the right connection kit to do midi over iPad so i can't try it out.

Tonemod
Common Wiggler

Post by Tonemod » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:13 pm

I've used Sync and the gate expander with Patterning and Modstep on an older iPad retina - works perfectly.

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:19 pm

That's amazingly​ good news. Been dying to try that out myself, but unfortunately my "to do" list never shrinks enough...

iPad + funky apps + skiff with SYNC in it....Oh yes!

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:40 pm

ignatius wrote:Timing of these is impressive and rock solid. i threw a bunch of rolls in there and fast hihats and also did some fuckery with changing the tempo around in ableton while changing clips and everything stayed right on.
Curiously, did you record back into Ableton? Was everything on the grid when you recorded?

303ish
Common Wiggler

Post by 303ish » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:28 pm

Tonescape wrote:
I have no experience with the Malekko Sync (Yet), but I can say that no modern computer can deliver tight midi clock, so your issues most likely comes from the source rather then the converter.

This little gizmo turned up recently, and looks very useful if you are on ableton:

http://cdm.link/2017/02/now-can-sync-ab ... pen-board/

Alternatively, it is quite easy to make a steady clock if you have a spare audio output avilable, since you can use a sample of a trigger (You don't need DC coupled interfaces for triggers).
You can find a sample here:
viewtopic.php?t=32072

If you have more outputs available, you could easily make reset/retriggers as well, all controlled from ableton.
Yeah that is the Link solution that I was talking about!

By the way I had already tried this audio trigger thing without good results but after experiment with delay compensation a little bit it works really nice! Good that I have a lot of audio outs left!

303ish
Common Wiggler

Post by 303ish » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:37 pm

Thank you ignatius! :love:

I'm wondering also if the cv outs can glide if you send it a portamento on/portamento time midi message. There are few interfaces that can handle it right.

kwaidan
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kwaidan » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:16 pm

In poly mode, does it use a round robin approach to assign notes or does it have a sort mode that sends the lowest note to the outs 1, the next lowest note to outs 2, and so on?

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:40 pm

dysonant wrote:
ignatius wrote:Timing of these is impressive and rock solid. i threw a bunch of rolls in there and fast hihats and also did some fuckery with changing the tempo around in ableton while changing clips and everything stayed right on.
Curiously, did you record back into Ableton? Was everything on the grid when you recorded?
we recorded directly to an iPad via Line6 Sonic Port... but i don't see why that would matter? any latency would be a product of the audio interface not the midi/cv converter. ableton is just sending midi.. the Sync module/cv/gate is doing converting.. routing the audio back into ableton is all audio.. but tomorrow i can give it a shot. we have an Elektron analog Heat that we use for audio interface. i'll try and put it to a test :)

i've had mixed experiences w/midi -> CV converters so i was surprised by the Sync/CV/gate combo. throwing lot's of tight sequences and distributing clock and changing tempo in ableton and switching clips etc.. not a glitch or flutter.. rock solid. it does what it says on the tin. no fuss no muss. plug and play. "it just works." :mrgreen:

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:42 pm

303ish wrote:Thank you ignatius! :love:

I'm wondering also if the cv outs can glide if you send it a portamento on/portamento time midi message. There are few interfaces that can handle it right.
i don't know how it handles midi CC for portamento. might be best to use a slew module in your system anyways.. i never do that stuff in ableton.. usually only when i use logic.. i'll try some other stuff this week using some of ableton's midi devices and see what happens.

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:17 am

Thanks a lot for the mini review, ignatius! Much appreciated. :) I need to snag one of these.

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:24 am

ignatius wrote: ... but i don't see why that would matter?
I appreciate you doing all this testing. I guess it would matter if you had soft synths playing simultaneously.

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:18 pm

dysonant wrote:
ignatius wrote: ... but i don't see why that would matter?
I appreciate you doing all this testing. I guess it would matter if you had soft synths playing simultaneously.
oh right of course.. still that's going to be an audio/sound card issue.. we have Live lite on the shop computer but i think there's an instrument of some kind in it.. so i'll see what i can manage today :)

davidjames
Wiggling with Experience

Post by davidjames » Fri May 26, 2017 2:33 pm

I've been using the SYNC and GATE/CV expander for some time now, I can attest to the rock solid timing. I did have to offset a bit using the Ableton external instrument device, but once I had it locked to the metronome it stayed consistent. Used it at a couple gigs, sending 4 individual midi lines to the modular at the same time, stable! This thing is a winner :party:

iPad users, are you just using the camera kit and plugging directly to the SYNC? I'd like to use the Fugue Machine app.

Dari
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dari » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:40 am

I have Malekko Sync for a few days and it works great. There is no latency with Mac OS Sierra and Logic X. Very simple but effective device. Unfortunately, for now, I fail to use a reset function with Moscow, but I'm pretty sure the problem is in me because I'm still new to these things :)

spacezignul
Common Wiggler

Post by spacezignul » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:09 am

Got the Sync + Cv/Gate expander in order to send midi from a Digitakt to my modular. Whilst the sync works perfectly fine, the Cv/gate won't send any cv/gates out, very frustrating as in theory this should be a pretty straightforward operation, not sure where the problem lies either.

Damn :bang:

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:45 am

Are you sure you're sending midi out on the correct midi channels?

The malekko sync will only send out cvgate in response to midi on channels 1 to 4

Return to “Eurorack Modules”