Malekko SYNC

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

spacezignul
Common Wiggler

Post by spacezignul » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:35 am

^^ yeah sure. Funny thing is the sync + cv/gate works fine with midi from ableton both via usb and midi cable and it also works if i send usb midi from the Digitakt to ableton and then to the sync cv/gate via a midi track altough only over 2 octaves c3 - c5

And I just found out that it is sending cv, just nothing out the gate output, it is all a bit bizarre,even the poly and trig modes dont work as they should, i think it might be a matter of calibration although theres no information on the Malekko website

Arghh i just wish so much that this would work flawlessly

Emailed both Malekko and Elektron anyway, waiting for a response

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:06 am

Sounds more like a Digitakt issue if it works fine with Ableton.

Maybe the digitakt, being a drum machine is only sending out short Triggers rather than Gates? Maybe you're connecting it to something that doesn't like short triggers

Just a thought..

spacezignul
Common Wiggler

Post by spacezignul » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:13 am

The Digitakt has the ability to set the lenght of the triggers/gates it sends out and I've tried it using different lenghts.

But you're right it sounds like a communication problem between the Digitakt and the Malekko modules, I wonder if it does the same with other midi to cv converters, because the Digitakt can sequence my microbrute and my ms-20m via midi cable just fine

nickbaba
Veteran Wiggler

Post by nickbaba » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:34 am

So... sounds like people are happy with the timing from DAW ->Sync -> DAW?

I've had so many problems trying to sync my modular via MIDI & Yarns/Pam's, with timing drift etc, that I've given up on the whole sync-via-MIDI concept...

But it is very convenient to be able to sequence from a DAW sometimes - does Sync represent a real improvement? I may be tempted to try again... its just that as far as I understand it, the problem is not with the sync devices but with MIDI jitter coming from the source computer... so isn't that always going to be the problem, no matter how rock solid the sync module is?

spacezignul
Common Wiggler

Post by spacezignul » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:55 am

nickbaba wrote:So... sounds like people are happy with the timing from DAW ->Sync -> DAW?

I've had so many problems trying to sync my modular via MIDI & Yarns/Pam's, with timing drift etc, that I've given up on the whole sync-via-MIDI concept...

But it is very convenient to be able to sequence from a DAW sometimes - does Sync represent a real improvement? I may be tempted to try again... its just that as far as I understand it, the problem is not with the sync devices but with MIDI jitter coming from the source computer... so isn't that always going to be the problem, no matter how rock solid the sync module is?
I can confirm the Sync module alone is rock solid both from Ableton and from a midi sequencer, clock is solid and the start/stop also works great. It also works well with the CV/gate expander sending midi notes from Ableton, no jitter or latency whatsoever. My only problem is that it does not do the same when sequencing from the Digitakt which was my main reason for buying it

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:19 am

that is strange...

What range of octaves SHOULD it be sending out? I only ask as 2 octaves of individual drum sounds/ triggers sounds reasonable...unless it can also produce pitched "playable" sounds?

(sorry, I'm not familiar with the Digitakt, other than knowing it's a drum machine)

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:24 am

nickbaba wrote:So... sounds like people are happy with the timing from DAW ->Sync -> DAW?

...got SYNC on sale by the way - just sayin' ;)

spacezignul
Common Wiggler

Post by spacezignul » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:51 am

matttech wrote:that is strange...

What range of octaves SHOULD it be sending out? I only ask as 2 octaves of individual drum sounds/ triggers sounds reasonable...unless it can also produce pitched "playable" sounds?

(sorry, I'm not familiar with the Digitakt, other than knowing it's a drum machine)
The Digitakt is also a midi sequencer, it can send pitched notes from C1 to C7, hence the Malekko modules, so I could use the Digitakt to sequence the modular voices

nickbaba
Veteran Wiggler

Post by nickbaba » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:02 am

...got SYNC on sale by the way - just sayin'
yes mate - I already had my eye on that!! :tu:

spacezignul
Common Wiggler

Post by spacezignul » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:02 pm

ok so I've had the chance to try the Sync + Cv/Gate modules at a friends studio and we confirmed that it is not working with the Digitakt, then we tried using a standard midi keyboard and the modules only sent out Cv's but no gates and then we used a Beatstep pro and the modules worked fine outputting both CV's and Gates as they should.

So I've emailed Malekko but in the meantime if anyone has any idea of what the issue might be please feel free

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:00 pm

Are you sure the machines that are showing issues are actually out putting on the correct midi channels?

spacezignul
Common Wiggler

Post by spacezignul » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:06 am

Swapped the Malekko Sync + CV/Gate for a Mutable Instruments Yarns and it works like a charm with the Digitakt

pinkflag16
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pinkflag16 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:10 pm

I was seriously looking at getting this, but somehow missed the spec about the 82mm depth. Please tell me that's a typo! My Intellijel 7u can't handle that. I really didn't want to get a Yarns.

shred
desperation tentacle

Post by shred » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:33 am

spacezignul wrote:Swapped the Malekko Sync + CV/Gate for a Mutable Instruments Yarns and it works like a charm with the Digitakt
wow that's gotta be frustrating! hopefully Malekko or Elektron get back to you soon. so that probably means the gates mode doesn't work at all? thats one of the biggest selling points for use with the Digitakt, imo.

as it is, I missed the depth measurement too. 82mm is too deep for my case :(
A Dingleberry Monstrosity wrote:CATS OR GTFO!!!!!

www.shredderghost.bandcamp.com

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:36 am

82mm depth is wrong

Just checked my units and SYNC is 30mm deep, and both expanders are 35mm each

pinkflag16
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pinkflag16 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:54 am

matttech wrote:82mm depth is wrong

Just checked my units and SYNC is 30mm deep, and both expanders are 35mm each
That is VERY good news. THANK YOU!!!!

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:07 am

No problem. You got me thinking you said that :eek:

pinkflag16
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pinkflag16 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:40 pm

I just bought and then returned the Sync and CV/Gate. It did not behave well with my system, sending random low notes on the 4th key press occasionally and sometimes locking up the gate signals, requiring a system restart. I'm going to try a Yarns to make sure it's not some other problem, but given I had both pitch and gate problems, it seems unlikely.

spacezignul
Common Wiggler

Post by spacezignul » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:50 pm

shred wrote:
spacezignul wrote:Swapped the Malekko Sync + CV/Gate for a Mutable Instruments Yarns and it works like a charm with the Digitakt
wow that's gotta be frustrating! hopefully Malekko or Elektron get back to you soon. so that probably means the gates mode doesn't work at all? thats one of the biggest selling points for use with the Digitakt, imo.

as it is, I missed the depth measurement too. 82mm is too deep for my case :(
very frustrating indeed, in theory it was the perfect module to work in conjunction with the Digitakt, the right functionality in very small hp. Yarns works nicely but takes up a bit of space and has a lot of other functions that at the moment I don't really use

MARK27
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MARK27 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:18 pm

pinkflag16 wrote:I just bought and then returned the Sync and CV/Gate... I'm going to try a Yarns to make sure it's not some other problem, but given I had both pitch and gate problems, it seems unlikely.
Oh man, your Sync didn't work out? SUCK!

Just curious, why don't you want to use Yarns? Because of the HP?

I was considering just getting the Expert Sleepers ES-8 and sync'ing by audio triggers, but I haven't tried it.

pinkflag16
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pinkflag16 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:48 pm

MARK27 wrote:
pinkflag16 wrote:I just bought and then returned the Sync and CV/Gate... I'm going to try a Yarns to make sure it's not some other problem, but given I had both pitch and gate problems, it seems unlikely.
Oh man, your Sync didn't work out? SUCK!

Just curious, why don't you want to use Yarns? Because of the HP?

I was considering just getting the Expert Sleepers ES-8 and sync'ing by audio triggers, but I haven't tried it.
HP/price/menu-diving. I ended up getting the Yarns anyway (Control is right by my shipping place, which may be of interest to you, Mark!), but I'm having totally different issues now. I'll make a new thread for that...(edit: issues fixed. It was the Korg Monologue I was using as a controller. Probably some deep setting I don't care to look into, but my $20 Rock Band controller works flawlessly. I don't think the Sync issues I had were Korg-related, though).

nickbaba
Veteran Wiggler

Post by nickbaba » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:15 am

Sync/CV.GT/DIN seems to be working fine on my system so far, pretty rock solid as far as I can tell, easy set-up, only tried it in Logic and StudioOne3 but all good.

blizzt
Common Wiggler

Post by blizzt » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:11 am

I want to buy the varigate 8 and SYNC. I want to slave the modular to logic pro via SYNC usb. So if i send the reset out from SYNC to reset in on the varigate, everytime i start and stop the play button on Logic Pro, would the varigate reset? Is this how it would work? Can someone confirm? Never worked with resets. Thanks.

nick9871
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nick9871 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:00 pm

Did anyone ever resolve the Sync + CV/Gate issues with the Digitakt? I Bought a Digitakt to assist in some sequencing and I am having the same issues above. I already have a FH-1 on order but if there is a solution for the Malekko then that would be nice, otherwise I suppose I don't have much use for it anymore.

soundshaper
Common Wiggler

Post by soundshaper » Sun May 27, 2018 8:41 am

Bumping this to see if anyone else has found a way to get the CV/Gate module to output gates from hardware? Like everyone else, works fine with DAW, even iPad sequencers, but when plugging MIDI from my SQ-1, there's no gate signal coming from the CV/Gate, just like Digitakt.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”