Intellijel Plonk

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

jfprimeau
Common Wiggler

Post by jfprimeau » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:42 am

Just installed the 1.15 update, and damn! that is indeed a game changer! Can sound way gnarly and agressive now. The +40db gain is also a welcome addition. Thanks, intellijel guys!

I have also stumbled upon the hidden menu - at least I don't think it's in the manual? Holding the Hit button and clicking on config will enter what I would call a factory menu, where there are various test measurements, cv and know visualisations, and dangerous looking menu items to wipe stuff out of the module and such. Not where I would spend my time, but interesting to know it exists.

kisielk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kisielk » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:14 pm

Glad you like it.

But now the secret about the testing menu is out. Just be careful with the test tone, it can be loud :)
Intellijel R&D

Outsider Sound Design
Common Wiggler

Post by Outsider Sound Design » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:19 am

Plonk and Rainmaker controlled with Haken Continuum Fingerboard.

[video][/video]
Sound Design / Sample Packs
www.outsidersounddesign.com

Test Series Sound Design Blog
www.outsidersounddesign.com/blogs/news

Experimental Music
www.adarkplotofland.bandcamp.com

kisielk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kisielk » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:30 pm

Really cool! I'm almost embarrassed to admit I haven't tried my Continuum with the Plonk and Rainmaker yet :)
Intellijel R&D

magneteyez
Common Wiggler

Post by magneteyez » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:52 pm

Thanks for making a fantastisch module even better...and better...and better.
Keep up the good work.

synthfiend68
Learning to Wiggle

Post by synthfiend68 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:13 pm

finding Plonk does great basslines if you throw a sixteenth note sequence at it and just vary pitch a little with Varigate 4. The bass sounds very solid. Use a drum preset of some type

Turk128
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Turk128 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:03 pm

Can I parameter lock the pitch knob per preset? Or I’m missing something from the config?

kisielk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kisielk » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:05 pm

The octave is saved per preset, but the pitch is set with the knob only.
Intellijel R&D

honeysmack
Common Wiggler

Post by honeysmack » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:55 am

Hiya, hope someone can please direct me.

When I turn on my Plonk on I regularly get “FS Format - wait” and after a few seconds it says “FS Format - error”. I have just updated the firmware hoping this would resolve the problem. and yes have tried different cables and positions on my bus board. This only happens in my Intellijel 84hp 7U case!

Is this an error related to power or otherwise?

thanks in advance

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:42 am

honeysmack wrote:Hiya, hope someone can please direct me.

When I turn on my Plonk on I regularly get “FS Format - wait” and after a few seconds it says “FS Format - error”. I have just updated the firmware hoping this would resolve the problem. and yes have tried different cables and positions on my bus board. This only happens in my Intellijel 84hp 7U case!

Is this an error related to power or otherwise?

thanks in advance
I’ve never seen that happen personally, but your best bet would be to contact Intellijel’s support.
Current system:
http://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/5549

FS/T: Various Euro:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=221800

jsco
Common Wiggler

Post by jsco » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:42 pm

What's the rationale behind having a hardcoded 1ms minimum trigger pulse length? Can this be reduced, or at least parameterized in the general config menu?

uniquepersonno2
Ultra Wiggler

Post by uniquepersonno2 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:52 pm

jsco wrote:What's the rationale behind having a hardcoded 1ms minimum trigger pulse length? Can this be reduced, or at least parameterized in the general config menu?
What's outputting triggers less than 1ms? :hmm:

jsco
Common Wiggler

Post by jsco » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:45 am

What's outputting triggers less than 1ms?
in my case, grids. i've found several other people on the internet complaining of plonk intermittently skipping triggers from other sources as well. (the responses are generally "update the firmware", but this limitation remains in the current firmware. also, i'm aware of the trigger/gate configuration option in grids.)

there appears to be no standard for CV trigger length, and technically the trigger itself should just be a rising edge, so adding the 1ms hold time requirement just seems like a pointless (and occasionally harmful) restriction. there are better ways to debounce/reject noise.

sellanraa
Common Wiggler

Re: Intellijel Plonk

Post by sellanraa » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:45 am

Trying to isolate noise issues in my case. I'm wondering if anyone has a low level high-pitched noise when you power on with the Plonks. I can't help but wonder if it's always been there as I test the Plonks in other cases that I've used them with. Is it the kind of thing that's always been there, but now that I notice it I can't NOT hear it?

Anyone have any experience with noise on the Plonks like this?

a773
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by a773 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:24 am

Having fun making presets on the plonk :party:

mikmanner
Common Wiggler

Post by mikmanner » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:30 am

With one clicky encoder, a little screen and so many editable parameters is this thing actually fun to create sounds on or do people tend to stick to the presets?
I make sounds and games // www.mgfm.space

ege.gonul
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ege.gonul » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:40 am

Not the best experience but it's alright and fun. You can be pretty fast with assigning X/Y knobs to parameters and find the value and then enter it with encoder. There is a pushable encoder, but there is no push and switch for faster parameter inc/dec. Which is like a no brainer, and it takes time to go to full range with turning the encoder. I sometimes wonder if the manufacturers ever play with these modules, or is it more like one night stand, and they don't care anymore. But in terms of sound, it is very digital but with little bit processing it is one of the most dynamic sound generation module. Love it.

joey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by joey » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:42 am

The sound engine is fantastic, it's not hard at all to edit, but I wish there were more CV inputs.

klick
Learning to Wiggle

Re:

Post by klick » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:47 am

jsco wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:45 am
What's outputting triggers less than 1ms?
there appears to be no standard for CV trigger length, and technically the trigger itself should just be a rising edge, so adding the 1ms hold time requirement just seems like a pointless (and occasionally harmful) restriction. there are better ways to debounce/reject noise.
This statement is fully just about a perfect and ideal world to my eyes :)

For digital modules, there is at least 2 parts in the story.

First half, is that you are right, rising edge can be monitored, by most embedded systems using dedicated pins and mechanisms. For the STM32 platform, it's often the EXTI which is used for this. I can be used on """most""" of the pins.

Second half of the story, is that NOT all pins, can be used for all purposes, some can be adc, other dac, other timers, etc.
so trigger detection, is getting what is remaining after all pins are attributed.

For technical reasons/choices, real rising edge detection with EXTI is often skipped and done using "digital" inputs (GPIO), which are sampled on a regular basis.
Sampling a 1ms trigger, require at least a sample rate of 2khz (yes, really need sampling 2000 times per second !!) , to not miss triggers. This can be problematic depending on the module load/architecture, even if such tests are really fast.
For having participated to a few modules design/code, I can tell you that quite often, GPIO is what is used, not the fancy rising edge, that does not bring that much on the table, if modules are sending properly designed triggers :)

Alternatively, sometimes it's faster to sense a digital pin from the code/effort point of view, as 1ms trigger is quite expected and a de facto standard in hardware, at least all the ones I was getting access too, and it simplify a bit the code, having less irqs priority nightmare to deal with (irq are served based on their priority. Even if their processing must be fast, sometimes, you want to keep irq for dacs/adc for crucial timming reasons, ie jitter avoidance being one of them.

also expect that gear, made before 2000, even analog, was often requiring 10ms triggers or wouldn't miss a strong number of triggers.
That's why, on many modules, 10ms is the default lenght of triggers (envelopes, etc), to allow a seamless integration with heritage gear, that is still very common.

hope it help to clarify why, 1ms triggers, are really the shortest viable duration, and often too short already.

sorry for this long message :)

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:23 am

mikmanner wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:30 am
With one clicky encoder, a little screen and so many editable parameters is this thing actually fun to create sounds on or do people tend to stick to the presets?
I just randomize until I find something I like. Editing anything from scratch is pretty horrible, in my opinion. The randomizer is great though. :)

martibs
Learning to Wiggle

Post by martibs » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:45 pm

sellanraa wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:45 am
Trying to isolate noise issues in my case. I'm wondering if anyone has a low level high-pitched noise when you power on with the Plonks. I can't help but wonder if it's always been there as I test the Plonks in other cases that I've used them with. Is it the kind of thing that's always been there, but now that I notice it I can't NOT hear it?

Anyone have any experience with noise on the Plonks like this?
Yes, I do. I have a noise like this coming out of the Plonk when it's mounted in my Dopefer A-100P6 case, but not when it's mounted in my Doepfer A-100LC1 case. I contacted Doepfer, who gave this reply:
Hello,

that's really strange. I would have expected that even other modules would generate the noise if it's a problem with the case or power supply. Oddly enough the A-100P6 power supply (A-100PSU2 or PSU3) is much better than the comparatively poor supply used in the A-100LC1. It seems that there is some kind of special interaction or interference between the Intellijel module (I suppose it's a digital module) and the A-100P6 power supply (I suppose it's an A-100PSU3). I'm very sorry but from the distance it's difficult to find out the reason for this behavior. Maybe Intellijel can help and please tell them that only their module generates that noise but no other modules in the same case.

Best regards
Dieter Doepfer
I never bothered contacting Intellijel though...

SavageMessiah
Common Wiggler

Post by SavageMessiah » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:07 pm

mikmanner wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:30 am
I tend to stick to the presets or variations of them. I tried to make stuff from scratch and it wasn't particularly pleasant for me. I really need to play with the randomize more, that seems like a fun way to find good sounds.

a773
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by a773 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:03 am

I also mostly start with an idea in my head, randomize until somewhere near, and then edit from there. I find the most important thing is to make good assignments of the x/y/mod for a preset to come alive in a musical setting.

The first thing I did when I got mine was delete all the presets, so can't really comment on those...
Last edited by a773 on Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:55 am

a773 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:03 am
The first thing I did when I got mine was delete all the presets
That's so you :hihi:
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

mikmanner
Common Wiggler

Post by mikmanner » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:00 am

a773 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:03 am
I also mostly start with an idea in my head, randomize until somewhere near, and then edit from there. I find the most important thing is to make dood assignments of the x/y/mod for a preset to come alive in a musical setting.

The first thing I did when I got mine was delete all the presets, so can't really comment on those...
This is usually what I do too, deleting presets. Seems like one of Plonks bug strength relies on defining preset sets. Thanks for the tips for the assignments, also thanks for the comments everyone else.
I make sounds and games // www.mgfm.space

Return to “Eurorack Modules”