Intellijel Plonk

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

SCOOBA_TANK
Common Wiggler

Post by SCOOBA_TANK » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:25 am

Socrates wrote:amazing module!
For sure. I totally agree and I haven’t even scratched the surface. I’ve had mine for a mere week and can’t stop twisting the parameters and finding new sounds.

The best thing for me is random. Setting that and letting the sounds bounce from one to another, almost like it’s alive. So rad!!

Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:50 am

Just picked up one yesterday. Very pleased with it.

However, the first hour was a real head scratcher because, with just a single trigger going in, most of the sounds were pitch shifting around randomly. Big shifts, jumping several full tones, not just a few cents change. Spent ages with the manual trying to spot which setting enabled random pitch and how to turn it off. Clue: there isn't one.

Eventually decided to run the module calibration routine as described in the manual. That fixed everything. Pitch is rock steady unless you put some modulation in the pitch input. Exactly how it should be.

The manual says calibration is done before shipping and shouldn't be needed but clearly mine slipped the net in some way. So I'm posting this just in case anyone else finds they can't get the pitch of their new module to keep still between triggers.

Calibration is probably the answer.

uniquepersonno2
Ultra Wiggler

Post by uniquepersonno2 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:21 pm

Umcorps wrote:Just picked up one yesterday. Very pleased with it.

However, the first hour was a real head scratcher because, with just a single trigger going in, most of the sounds were pitch shifting around randomly. Big shifts, jumping several full tones, not just a few cents change. Spent ages with the manual trying to spot which setting enabled random pitch and how to turn it off. Clue: there isn't one.

Eventually decided to run the module calibration routine as described in the manual. That fixed everything. Pitch is rock steady unless you put some modulation in the pitch input. Exactly how it should be.

The manual says calibration is done before shipping and shouldn't be needed but clearly mine slipped the net in some way. So I'm posting this just in case anyone else finds they can't get the pitch of their new module to keep still between triggers.

Calibration is probably the answer.
Does yours work in the poly mode too? I'm thinking of picking one of these up this week but that glitch worries me a tad.

Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:02 am

uniquepersonno2 wrote: Does yours work in the poly mode too? I'm thinking of picking one of these up this week but that glitch worries me a tad.
Yes it works fine. It was just a miscalibration. Nothing serious.

uniquepersonno2
Ultra Wiggler

Post by uniquepersonno2 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:40 am

Umcorps wrote:
uniquepersonno2 wrote: Does yours work in the poly mode too? I'm thinking of picking one of these up this week but that glitch worries me a tad.
Yes it works fine. It was just a miscalibration. Nothing serious.
Huh, that's great to hear. Thanks!

Trooper
Common Wiggler

Post by Trooper » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:18 am

Umcorps wrote:Spent ages with the manual trying to spot which setting enabled random pitch and how to turn it off. Clue: there isn't one.
Set the Stepped input both on the same number (Bank), 1 + 1, or 24 + 24, and so on.
If you then put nothing into modulator, you have only 1 sound playing, you can select the sound with one of the other knobs.

If you put nothing into pitch, it doesn't pitch.

BrokenBo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BrokenBo » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:56 pm

if i have elements and rings, does plonk bring some new flavours or is it too simiiar? Does plonk maybe even replace elements (as its quite big). i guess it will be hard to get plonk to play pads or drones etc.

Trooper
Common Wiggler

Post by Trooper » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:11 am

If you want drums & percussion, it can easily replace elements, but for all other things, you should keep it.

bengersfood
Wiggling with Experience

Post by bengersfood » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:49 am

BrokenBo wrote:if i have elements and rings, does plonk bring some new flavours or is it too simiiar? Does plonk maybe even replace elements (as its quite big). i guess it will be hard to get plonk to play pads or drones etc.
I have Elements, Rings, Plonk. Lots of crossover between the first two (well, obviously) very little direct crossover between Plonk and the other two.

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:15 pm

I own a Plonk and would love to compare it to the SSF Entity Percussion Synthesizer, both in terms of sound variety and also workflow. I would assume that Plonk can probably do more different sounds but EPS is more hands-on. Anyone out there who has both or who has already compared them side-by side? Do I need both? Hmmm...

uniquepersonno2
Ultra Wiggler

Post by uniquepersonno2 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:26 pm

dbeats wrote:I own a Plonk and would love to compare it to the SSF Entity Percussion Synthesizer, both in terms of sound variety and also workflow. I would assume that Plonk can probably do more different sounds but EPS is more hands-on. Anyone out there who has both or who has already compared them side-by side? Do I need both? Hmmm...
I have a plonk, also have the entity bassdrum and I had a few plays without the entity percussion so while I can’t compare them side by side I have experience with both. In my opinion, physical modeling sounds nothing like anything an analog (or even digital non-physical-modeling) synths will do. Entity percussion has sort of a goal of doing 909-era analog percussion to my ears and plonk is nothing like that. I really like the Bassdrum (it sits next to my plonk), the workflow is great and it’s sounds really good and frees up my other percussion modules for more digital sounds.
I wouldn’t worry about the plonk and percussion sonically covering the same territory necessarily (analog percussion sounds very different to anything digital does to my ears), but I don’t think they really are needed together.

FrogStar
Common Wiggler

Post by FrogStar » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:55 am

:sb: q
BrokenBo wrote:Does plonk maybe even replace elements (as its quite big). i guess it will be hard to get plonk to play pads or drones etc.
Plonk can do drones “sometimes”. The exciter needs to be noise, the noise envelope needs to be AHR and you need to feed to a very long gate. I feed mine an offset voltage from a middle Maths channel.
I believe that’s the only way.

novim
Common Wiggler

Post by novim » Tue May 01, 2018 1:41 pm

Question for Plonk owners...

I've always liked pushing drum machines to produce non-'drum' sounds, through drastic pitch-shifting, on-board tonal controls, and outboard effects, etc. For example, I held onto my Yamaha RY-30 forever because along with recognizable percussion sounds, I could get it to spit out grainy textures, bristling drones, bleeps, rumbles, and so on. It was unique that way, and most drum machines need more outboard support for that kind of thing. But I'm wondering if Plonk happens to have a wide palette of sound capabilities beyond the ones usually associated with drum kits (acoustic or electronic). I.e. would it be a worthwhile purchase for someone who isn't that interested in drum sounds but does want a device that works in that manner. (I do have samplers, btw. My interest here is in something that can synthesize surprises.) I haven't seen a video that specifically addresses this, although certain moments have made me wonder just what it's capable of.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Tue May 01, 2018 1:45 pm

novim wrote:Question for Plonk owners...

I've always liked pushing drum machines to produce non-'drum' sounds, through drastic pitch-shifting, on-board tonal controls, and outboard effects, etc. For example, I held onto my Yamaha RY-30 forever because along with recognizable percussion sounds, I could get it to spit out grainy textures, bristling drones, bleeps, rumbles, and so on. It was unique that way, and most drum machines need more outboard support for that kind of thing. But I'm wondering if Plonk happens to have a wide palette of sound capabilities beyond the ones usually associated with drum kits (acoustic or electronic). I.e. would it be a worthwhile purchase for someone who isn't that interested in drum sounds but does want a device that works in that manner. (I do have samplers, btw. My interest here is in something that can synthesize surprises.) I haven't seen a video that specifically addresses this, although certain moments have made me wonder just what it's capable of.
you can make orchestral strings sounds, drones, acoustic guitars, synth/FM basses.. i don't think i've used it for percussion yet apart from hihats..

novim
Common Wiggler

Post by novim » Tue May 01, 2018 1:56 pm

Thanks, bemushroomed.

Maybe to clarify, I should ask whether it excels at non-instrument sounds. Again, textures, etc. I like to (mis-)treat drum machines as rhythmic sound design tools. Have considered the BIA for this but I'm not sure it's what I'm after, sonically.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Tue May 01, 2018 2:05 pm

it can do textures, noise too.. BIA is nice, but range is quite limited in comparison to Plonk (Plonk can perhaps not be exactly as "industrial" sounding though, it's more tame).

You can create very realistic acoustic drums on Plonk, not so with something like BIA, it's not like you could do an acoustic snare or rim shot on it :D

Plonk is quite similar to something like Nord Drum (highly recommended btw, it's probably my favorite percussion "module"), but the range is probably even better.

savethisrocketship
Veteran Wiggler

Post by savethisrocketship » Tue May 01, 2018 6:41 pm

I haven't had mine for very long & I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction but my take on Plonk is that it it set up to make convincing 'modeled' sounds without much external modulation. It seems like once you stop using straightforward 1v/Oct pitch cv and get creative with the assignable controls then you should be able to cover at least some of the territory you speak of. You still might be limited by the finite sustain/decay options though.

I've barely scratched the surface of it though, mostly messing around with tuned wood/plastic/glass type sounds.

novim
Common Wiggler

Post by novim » Tue May 01, 2018 7:52 pm

Thanks, both of you. Really seems - for my off-label purposes - like one I'd be better off trying in person, first.

Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps » Wed May 02, 2018 1:50 am

Crossposting this from the Stages thread because Plonk...

[video][/video]

kisielk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kisielk » Wed May 02, 2018 1:01 pm

savethisrocketship wrote:
I haven't had mine for very long & I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction but my take on Plonk is that it it set up to make convincing 'modeled' sounds without much external modulation. It seems like once you stop using straightforward 1v/Oct pitch cv and get creative with the assignable controls then you should be able to cover at least some of the territory you speak of. You still might be limited by the finite sustain/decay options though.

I've barely scratched the surface of it though, mostly messing around with tuned wood/plastic/glass type sounds.
I always felt that the sustain / decay options in Plonk are actually fairly comprehensive. A lot of people seem to miss that the noise envelope can be an AHR which will hold for as long as your gate is high. There is a pretty large range on the attack and decay times of the noise so you can make pads and drones etc.

In the upcoming firmware update you'll also be able to apply this envelope to the noise low and high pass filters as well.

I'm curious to hear what other things people think are lacking, we're definitely open to adding some things if they make sense in context of the sound architecture....
Intellijel R&D

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Wed May 02, 2018 1:43 pm

Can the list of destinations for the Mod input be expanded to match what is available for X and Y?

pzoot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pzoot » Wed May 02, 2018 2:47 pm

Tube model?

kisielk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kisielk » Wed May 02, 2018 3:23 pm

Zymos wrote:Can the list of destinations for the Mod input be expanded to match what is available for X and Y?
It does in the upcoming firmware update (currently in beta testing). Though I'm pretty sure it did in the original firmware too, although a few of the destinations may have been labelled differently.
Intellijel R&D

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Wed May 02, 2018 3:36 pm

kisielk wrote:
Zymos wrote:Can the list of destinations for the Mod input be expanded to match what is available for X and Y?
It does in the upcoming firmware update (currently in beta testing). Though I'm pretty sure it did in the original firmware too, although a few of the destinations may have been labelled differently.
I'm sorry, you're right, don't know what I was thinking. :doh:

Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps » Thu May 03, 2018 2:15 am

Pitch/frequency as a MOD destination would be useful.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”