Expert Sleepers Disting Mk4

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Phitar
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Expert Sleepers Disting Mk4

Post by Phitar » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:32 pm

zer0trill wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:57 pm

thank you for the feedback.Unfortunatly life happened and pushed me back a few weeks. But i am happy to say that i just ordered a disting mk4 from control yesterday, i am super excited as it is my first module!
Congrats! Interesting choice for first module. There is a lot built in that can work stand alone. But there is also a lot that will require other rackmates or some other gear to get full use of it. I bet your Disting won't be alone for long. :hihi:
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

In adddition to "More Cowbell!" everything should have more REVERB! :tu:

lyesmel
Common Wiggler

Post by lyesmel » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:40 am

Does anyone find much use for the Midi breakout with the Disting Mk4? Picked one up last week on a whim while it was in stock but I'm not sure if its too useful. I can send some clock out to my delay pedal but not come up with too much else.

Xinod
Common Wiggler

Post by Xinod » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:00 pm

lyesmel wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:40 am
Does anyone find much use for the Midi breakout with the Disting Mk4? Picked one up last week on a whim while it was in stock but I'm not sure if its too useful. I can send some clock out to my delay pedal but not come up with too much else.
I’ve built my own and I find it essential, not so much for the midi -> cv but the other way round, to record in a DAW cool cv and gate sequences that would be gone otherwise. I then playback them through a cv.ocd.

Phitar
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Phitar » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:31 pm

lyesmel wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:40 am
Kind of depends on how much external midi gear you have for one thing. Look though the Disting manual... Each algorithm that can utilize midi has a section in it's description that tells you what the midi data can control. There are a lot of midi enabled algos:
Wavetable VCO
Various quantizers
Audio playback
Multisample playback
Pulsar VCO
ETC....

Plus there is the fact that you can control the disting operation itself via midi. :goo:
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

ronnieb
Common Wiggler

Post by ronnieb » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:53 am

Phitar wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:31 pm
Plus there is the fact that you can control the disting operation itself via midi. :goo:
Worth it for this alone tbh.
There is a handy lil M4L device to control the mk4 if anyone is a Live user

Bitter Synth
Common Wiggler

Post by Bitter Synth » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:43 am

Hi all!

I tried searcing this forum thread, but couldn't find specifically what I was looking for, so here goes:

Say I use a turing machine to generate a pattern. Can the Disting mk4 not only quantize the signal to a scale, but also transpose it to a different key, if I should want that? Can it even be told to transpose via CV? Can it do all of this for two different sources, ie two turing machines, out to two different oscillators?

Thanks in advance!

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:07 am

Are you talking about feeding a turing machine output into the disting from a separate turing machine module, or using one of the disting's own turing machine algorithms?

Bitter Synth
Common Wiggler

Post by Bitter Synth » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:19 am

os wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:07 am
Are you talking about feeding a turing machine output into the disting from a separate turing machine module, or using one of the disting's own turing machine algorithms?
Separate turing machine feeding to the disting.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:34 am

There's the two Dual Quantizer algorithms. They don't currently have transposition but there's scope to add that.

If you want to transpose by CV you could add your transposition CV to the pitch CV after it leaves the disting.

lyesmel
Common Wiggler

Post by lyesmel » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:05 pm

Anyone else running the latest firmware having issues with the Z knob button not working to access sub menus in certain algos?
Pressing it should be allow me to choose mene 0,1,2 etc but its not working in alot of the time.

Phitar
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Phitar » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:31 pm

lyesmel wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:05 pm
Anyone else running the latest firmware having issues with the Z knob button not working to access sub menus in certain algos?
Pressing it should be allow me to choose mene 0,1,2 etc but its not working in alot of the time.
There are several algorithms that repurpose the Z knob. Check the manual for those that you think you are having problems with.

banalytic
Common Wiggler

Post by banalytic » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:17 am

lyesmel wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:05 pm
had the same problem... answer here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=175310&start=1800#p3307885

rank30
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rank30 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:48 pm

Recently acquired 2 mk4’s and put a 2GB SD card in one of them (had it going spare).

When changing the algorithm mid-flow the screen went blank and the module became unresponsive. I would power down and power back up and after start up the SD card loaded disting just showed a single red dot.

I would have to eject the SD card and restart again for all to be working again.

This has happened twice now in two days both times in less than an hours play.

Is this a known issue? Is the SD card the problem?

Any info would be great, thanks in advance.
:eek:

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:57 pm

Sounds to me like the card needs to be reformatted. A 2GB card might not format as the required FAT32 (the OS might choose to use FAT16).

drewfx1
Common Wiggler

Post by drewfx1 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:29 pm

rank30 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:48 pm
Recently acquired 2 mk4’s and put a 2GB SD card in one of them (had it going spare).

When changing the algorithm mid-flow the screen went blank and the module became unresponsive. I would power down and power back up and after start up the SD card loaded disting just showed a single red dot.

I would have to eject the SD card and restart again for all to be working again.

This has happened twice now in two days both times in less than an hours play.

Is this a known issue? Is the SD card the problem?

Any info would be great, thanks in advance.
Sometimes if you switch to certain algorithms it processes every .wav file on the card (to create backwards versions). It can take a long time if you have a lot of files on the card. I think it displays PROCESSING when it does this, but if you change algorithms then the display doesn't maintain that. If you wait for it to finish (again it can take a long time if you have lots of wav files and directories), it will work fine. It only needs to process the wave files once and it saves them for the future.

rank30
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rank30 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:32 pm

Think I’ll get a couple of new cards, thanks both.
:eek:

acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:53 am

@os

Thank you so much for this amazing module and for the continued development and support.
I have a maybe small request to make the disting perfect for me. Do you think it would be possible to add a VU meter?
A simple 1 digit number would be fine, but if possible it would also be cool to add a digit more for example -5/5 or -4.9/4.9

Thanks again

xxeyes
Learning to Wiggle

Post by xxeyes » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:27 am

Would it be possible to get a mode that scales/attenuates/offsets two incoming CVs independently?

That would be great for small systems that need to convert between 0-5V and +/-5V.

RichyHo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by RichyHo » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:54 am

Os - Over on the EX thread you recommend these SD cards:
os wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:38 pm
The EX is currently shipping with Kingston Canvas Select Plus 32GB cards.

Are they also suitable/optimal for Disting 4? I'm looking for a card that won't glitch out with the long delay mode.

:cat2: Thanks

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:15 am

They should be OK yes, though I've not tried it.

tdallas
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tdallas » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:03 am

Hi. Out of curiosity - I'm looking for possibilities to create chords with modules I already own. So let's say one have a Disting MK4 (or EX) and an oscillator with three 1V/Oct inputs like the Chainsaw. Is there any algorithm on the Disting to create additional two notes from a chord based on a given root note? Might the "Dual Quantizer" fed with the same note on X/Y can create such chords on A/B? Sorry if this might sound stupid, but I'm quite new in the land of polyphony. Thanks in advance! :-)

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:13 am

"H-8 Quantizer 2" would be good for this.

tdallas
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tdallas » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:19 am

Thanks and damn ... I totaly missed that one by searching for "chord" in the manual :-)

xxeyes
Learning to Wiggle

Post by xxeyes » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:32 pm

I need a stereo preamp in my system. It seems like mode E-4 Stereo Compressor should work for this if I set the z knob fully Counterclockwise for no compression. However, the output sounds very different than the input - maybe compressed? I don’t know; it sounds kind of lo-fi and has a slight echo. I can’t seem to get clean amplification no matter what settings I try. Should this be possible? Can anyone tell me how I might achieve clean stereo amplification with this mode or another?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:23 am

Preamplification should be done in the analogue domain, otherwise you're just amplifying digital noise.

You could try 'E-5 Side-chain Compressor' with Z at zero (mid-range) and use the make-up gain to boost the signal.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”