Expert Sleepers Disting Mk4

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Post Reply
User avatar
deft_bonz
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 434
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:46 am
Location: Switzerland

Re: Expert Sleepers Disting Mk4

Post by deft_bonz » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:58 am

xxeyes wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:32 pm
I need a stereo preamp in my system. It seems like mode E-4 Stereo Compressor should work for this if I set the z knob fully Counterclockwise for no compression. However, the output sounds very different than the input - maybe compressed? I don’t know; it sounds kind of lo-fi and has a slight echo. I can’t seem to get clean amplification no matter what settings I try. Should this be possible? Can anyone tell me how I might achieve clean stereo amplification with this mode or another?
Do you need the preamp for mics or line level signals from external instruments? Mic signals are very low, you'd need a proper analog preamp to get a line level signals. Then with line level signals, you have to consider that they are normally lower than modular signals. Don't know if the Disting will have enough gain to compensate for that with the make-up gain alone within the compressor function. It might be not enough depending on how low your line level signal is. For modular signal it should be enough. It has 36dB of make up gain.

xxeyes
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:09 pm

Re: Expert Sleepers Disting Mk4

Post by xxeyes » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:05 am

os wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:23 am
Preamplification should be done in the analogue domain, otherwise you're just amplifying digital noise.

You could try 'E-5 Side-chain Compressor' with Z at zero (mid-range) and use the make-up gain to boost the signal.
Thanks, I’ll give that a try.

xxeyes
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:09 pm

Re: Expert Sleepers Disting Mk4

Post by xxeyes » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:13 am

deft_bonz wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:58 am
xxeyes wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:32 pm
I need a stereo preamp in my system. It seems like mode E-4 Stereo Compressor should work for this if I set the z knob fully Counterclockwise for no compression. However, the output sounds very different than the input - maybe compressed? I don’t know; it sounds kind of lo-fi and has a slight echo. I can’t seem to get clean amplification no matter what settings I try. Should this be possible? Can anyone tell me how I might achieve clean stereo amplification with this mode or another?
Do you need the preamp for mics or line level signals from external instruments? Mic signals are very low, you'd need a proper analog preamp to get a line level signals. Then with line level signals, you have to consider that they are normally lower than modular signals. Don't know if the Disting will have enough gain to compensate for that with the make-up gain alone within the compressor function. It might be not enough depending on how low your line level signal is. For modular signal it should be enough. It has 36dB of make up gain.
I’m using it to boost stereo field recordings from my Zoom H1N to modular levels. The make-up gain in E-4 is sufficient and the amplification of digital noise isn’t too bad. The problem is that the resulting sound is kind of hollow and has an echo. I’m not sure why this is the case since I have the Z knob fully counterclockwise for no compression.

User avatar
deft_bonz
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 434
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:46 am
Location: Switzerland

Re: Expert Sleepers Disting Mk4

Post by deft_bonz » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:22 am

xxeyes wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:13 am
I’m using it to boost stereo field recordings from my Zoom H1N to modular levels. The make-up gain in E-4 is sufficient and the amplification of digital noise isn’t too bad. The problem is that the resulting sound is kind of hollow and has an echo. I’m not sure why this is the case since I have the Z knob fully counterclockwise for no compression.
Can it be, that it mono's the stereo signal and thus creates that "hollow" sound? I'm not sure, if the Disting processes true stereo. What happens if you listen back to the Zoom signal mono'd? A lot of analog mixer feature such a button to check mono compatibility. Or you can import the Zoom recording into a DAW and sum it there to mono.

User avatar
os
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 14597
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:55 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Expert Sleepers Disting Mk4

Post by os » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:24 am

The stereo compressors on the disting are true stereo.

User avatar
deft_bonz
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 434
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:46 am
Location: Switzerland

Re: Expert Sleepers Disting Mk4

Post by deft_bonz » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:40 am

os wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:24 am
The stereo compressors on the disting are true stereo.
Good to know, thanks. Got to try that once.
I've looked it up in the manual. Out of curiosity: How is the detection signal generated? Both channels summed, only one channel, or both chhanels independently detected?

Then something else is happening somewhere, or the recorded sound is already off, or somewhere on the signal path one side gets phase reversed, or cable defect, etc. Stereo recordings can get messy when one side gets screwed. The wider they are, the worse they can get.

xxeyes
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:09 pm

Re: Expert Sleepers Disting Mk4

Post by xxeyes » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:21 am

deft_bonz wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:40 am
os wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:24 am
The stereo compressors on the disting are true stereo.
Good to know, thanks. Got to try that once.
I've looked it up in the manual. Out of curiosity: How is the detection signal generated? Both channels summed, only one channel, or both chhanels independently detected?

Then something else is happening somewhere, or the recorded sound is already off, or somewhere on the signal path one side gets phase reversed, or cable defect, etc. Stereo recordings can get messy when one side gets screwed. The wider they are, the worse they can get.
Fixed! It was just a cable issue. I was stupidly plugging a stereo cable directly into the Disting to test it while I wait for my stereo breakout cable to arrive. I figured I would just get a mono signal because this works fine with all my other modules without distortion. However, I guess the unique light-up Disting jacks won’t accept a stereo cable as mono in the same way.

Thanks for the help os and deft_bonz.

User avatar
os
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 14597
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:55 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Expert Sleepers Disting Mk4

Post by os » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:28 am

This is nothing to do with the sockets. A TRS/stereo 3.5mm plug inserted into a TS socket is connecting the plug ring to ground, and the cable ground to nothing. I.e. badness.

xxeyes
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:09 pm

Re: Expert Sleepers Disting Mk4

Post by xxeyes » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:37 am

os wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:28 am
This is nothing to do with the sockets. A TRS/stereo 3.5mm plug inserted into a TS socket is connecting the plug ring to ground, and the cable ground to nothing. I.e. badness.
Ah ok, thanks.

escargot
Common Wiggler
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:21 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: Expert Sleepers Disting Mk4

Post by escargot » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:04 pm

Os would it be possible to get a stereo EG+vca preset? Thanks

User avatar
mcpepe
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 284
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Expert Sleepers Disting Mk4

Post by mcpepe » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:21 pm

All my wav files loop in all the wav playback algorithms I have tried. Also the dual wav players, but they all loop my files. Why?

I have also tried using a playlist, with no success. This was the simple playlist.txt content:

disting playlist v1
-loop=0


I am running the latest firmware 4.17. Can you help me?

User avatar
mister_wavey
Common Wiggler
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:05 am
Location: Abergavenny, Wales, UK

Re: Expert Sleepers Disting Mk4

Post by mister_wavey » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:57 pm

can you confirm you didn't accidentally create playlist.txt.txt ? this is a common error on OSs that hide the extension.

OptionalVolcano
1-Post Wiggler
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:26 am

Re: Expert Sleepers Disting Mk4

Post by OptionalVolcano » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:04 am

I have the same problem. The order in which I put the samples in the playlist is ignored too. Made the file in notepad on win10, did not copy lines from the manual but typed it myself. I'm positive I don't have a double .txt in there.

User avatar
mcpepe
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 284
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Expert Sleepers Disting Mk4

Post by mcpepe » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:32 am

mister_wavey wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:57 pm
can you confirm you didn't accidentally create playlist.txt.txt ? this is a common error on OSs that hide the extension.
Thanks for the help. I did check it and my file is playlist.txt, looking at its properties.
In the Expert Sleepers forum someone told me to make the file with Sublime text, to have a clean txt file. I am going to try it and I will report back.

User avatar
mister_wavey
Common Wiggler
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:05 am
Location: Abergavenny, Wales, UK

Re: Expert Sleepers Disting Mk4

Post by mister_wavey » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:43 am

mcpepe wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:32 am
Thanks for the help. I did check it and my file is playlist.txt, looking at its properties.
In the Expert Sleepers forum someone told me to make the file with Sublime text, to have a clean txt file. I am going to try it and I will report back.
other problems have included the wrong encoding - ensure it is UTF-8 (win notepad shows the encoding in the bottom right corner) and sublime text lets you choose encoding with File | Save With Encoding to be sure.

User avatar
mcpepe
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 284
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Expert Sleepers Disting Mk4

Post by mcpepe » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:21 am

mister_wavey wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:43 am
mcpepe wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:32 am
Thanks for the help. I did check it and my file is playlist.txt, looking at its properties.
In the Expert Sleepers forum someone told me to make the file with Sublime text, to have a clean txt file. I am going to try it and I will report back.
other problems have included the wrong encoding - ensure it is UTF-8 (win notepad shows the encoding in the bottom right corner) and sublime text lets you choose encoding with File | Save With Encoding to be sure.
Using Sublime Text did work!. Thanks! :yay:

lazze
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:54 pm

Expert Sleepers Disting Mk4 firmware update

Post by lazze » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:05 pm

i wanted to update my disting and found out taht tehre ist a version 4.10.2 on my disting mk4.1
when i try to update a firmware before 4.15 like written in the manual, holding s-knob while starting – it doesnt ask for confirm. it starts after the vertical/horizontal line to fully blink and shows success. BUT when i reboot there is still the old system...
any idea ?

User avatar
mother misty
Common Wiggler
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:05 am
Location: Belgium

Re: Expert Sleepers Disting Mk4 firmware update

Post by mother misty » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:22 pm

lazze wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:05 pm
i wanted to update my disting and found out taht tehre ist a version 4.10.2 on my disting mk4.1
when i try to update a firmware before 4.15 like written in the manual, holding s-knob while starting – it doesnt ask for confirm. it starts after the vertical/horizontal line to fully blink and shows success. BUT when i reboot there is still the old system...
any idea ?
I had a similar problem a while ago, I think you have to upgrade the bootloader to b2 first if you're only on 4.10.2 (see manual / firmware updates)

tdallas
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 376
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:55 am
Location: Germany

Re: Expert Sleepers Disting Mk4 firmware update

Post by tdallas » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:01 am

lazze wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:05 pm
i wanted to update my disting and found out taht tehre ist a version 4.10.2 on my disting mk4.1
when i try to update a firmware before 4.15 like written in the manual, holding s-knob while starting – it doesnt ask for confirm. it starts after the vertical/horizontal line to fully blink and shows success. BUT when i reboot there is still the old system...
any idea ?
Would you like to update to 1.) a newer/equal or 2.) an older version than 4.15? In case of the first scenario you have to update the bootloader first as described on the Expert Sleepers firmware homepage below the 4.15 section -> https://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/dist ... dates.html. After that you can install 4.15+ versions.

But in general I have never seen a update process without a initial „confirm“ dialog on my module.

Edit: stupid idea -> is it possible, that you still have the old/initial firmware file stored at your SD card and therefore flashed it to the already installed version (happened to me once because I missed to replace the file on the card) ;)

Righty
Common Wiggler
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:31 am

Re: Expert Sleepers Disting Mk4

Post by Righty » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:50 pm

Yes, it can do everything, but can the guy hire someone who has skills in writing clearly and another person to check him on his internal consistency on how this thing functions? It is a usability nightmare. He simply has no skills in anything to do with a user interface or manual writing. Again, yes, yes it can do everything, but that does not mean it inherently has to be this bad. It violates myriad usability and human factors principles. it is clearly the product of someone who has zero competency in usability and human factors. It doesn't have to be a clusterf%&k to use. Steve Jobs would have a stroke if he used a Disting. If Steve Jobs was running this company he would blow out his vocal chords screaming about the disting's user interface.

depth20
Common Wiggler
Posts: 168
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:13 pm

Re: Expert Sleepers Disting Mk4

Post by depth20 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:03 pm

Righty wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:50 pm
Yes, it can do everything, but can the guy hire someone who has skills in writing clearly and another person to check him on his internal consistency on how this thing functions? It is a usability nightmare. He simply has no skills in anything to do with a user interface or manual writing. Again, yes, yes it can do everything, but that does not mean it inherently has to be this bad. It violates myriad usability and human factors principles. it is clearly the product of someone who has zero competency in usability and human factors. It doesn't have to be a clusterf%&k to use. Steve Jobs would have a stroke if he used a Disting. If Steve Jobs was running this company he would blow out his vocal chords screaming about the disting's user interface.


Well, that was a really rude and unhelpful post. On the contrary I find the manual pretty clear if you take your time to read it and everything work as stated. 90% of the questions here are clearly stated in the manual. There are even a bunch of youtube videos explaining most of the algorithms.

I don't see how it would be possible to make the module "easier" to understand without making it four times wider with a big screen, but that's not something I would want at least.

User avatar
rayultine
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 726
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 12:00 am
Location: Memphis TN

Re: Expert Sleepers Disting Mk4

Post by rayultine » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:11 pm

lol poor Righty trying to hammer anything that looks like a nail

tdallas
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 376
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:55 am
Location: Germany

Re: Expert Sleepers Disting Mk4

Post by tdallas » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:29 am

I guess Steve Jobs would also explode about the actual „design“ state of Apple. And if Apple was running this company you would have to buy an adapter for every single jack (not included, if not working „you plugged it in wrong“), audio/power is wireless only, the front panel would be made by glass and the price is at least tripled. The Disting is small, the manual is big. If you want a better UI go for the EX. There are far worse designed modules / written manuals (if available at all) out there IMHO :hide:

User avatar
Risc_Terilia
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 347
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:50 am
Location: UK

Re: Expert Sleepers Disting Mk4

Post by Risc_Terilia » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:50 am

Righty wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:50 pm
Yes, it can do everything, but can the guy hire someone who has skills in writing clearly and another person to check him on his internal consistency on how this thing functions? It is a usability nightmare. He simply has no skills in anything to do with a user interface or manual writing. Again, yes, yes it can do everything, but that does not mean it inherently has to be this bad. It violates myriad usability and human factors principles. it is clearly the product of someone who has zero competency in usability and human factors. It doesn't have to be a clusterf%&k to use. Steve Jobs would have a stroke if he used a Disting. If Steve Jobs was running this company he would blow out his vocal chords screaming about the disting's user interface.
Is this copypasta? :hihi:

User avatar
Byzero
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:18 pm
Contact:

Re: Expert Sleepers Disting Mk4

Post by Byzero » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:23 am

Has anyone managed to record V/oct CV using J-5 Audio Recorder successfully?

I've got a V/oct CV going into X and coming out from A controlling the pitch of the VCO. Unfortunately the pitch doesn't appear to track. I've measured the voltage going into X and coming out of A and there appears to be drift.

Is the drift expected? Is what I am trying to do not feasible?

I've also posted the Q in the ES forum (viewtopic.php?f=35&t=242601) but thought someone here might have experience with it.
Latest music:


Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”