Intellijel Shifty

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Oscillator
Common Wiggler

Post by Oscillator » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:42 pm

I'm on Windows and trying to install the STM32 Bootloader drivers, but they do not show under the dropdown menu even after enabling "All Devices".

Among others' there's an "Uknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed" - Windows never recognized the USB once plugged, so maybe I could try that one? I just don't want to proceed and cause any issues.

Any advices?

Edit: Okay, I tried that one anyway, but nothing works. Everything ends with an error and I have the feeling it's because the device cannot be recognized by Windows at all when plugged...

scottmfr
Common Wiggler

Post by scottmfr » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:03 pm

Hey Oscillator, were you holding the button on the back of the module with the USB cable connected when you powered it on?

Oscillator
Common Wiggler

Post by Oscillator » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:28 pm

scottmfr wrote:Hey Oscillator, were you holding the button on the back of the module with the USB cable connected when you powered it on?
I wasn't, that was the problem. I contacted Intellijel that same day and got it all sorted :)

teknobryan
Common Wiggler

Post by teknobryan » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:32 am

Using the new Switch mode, can I use Shifty to have 4 different sequencers (CV + Gate) control one VCO, VCA? Basically use it in reverse.

companyofquail
Veteran Wiggler

Post by companyofquail » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:50 am

teknobryan wrote:Using the new Switch mode, can I use Shifty to have 4 different sequencers (CV + Gate) control one VCO, VCA? Basically use it in reverse.
the simple answer would be: no, not with only the shifty.

the longer answer would be: yes, you could use shifty to control 8 vcas with sequencers plugged into them as one way to achieve this goal.

another possible solution would be to purchase 2 stg soundlabs sequential switches and do it that way.

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:31 pm

companyofquail wrote:
teknobryan wrote:Using the new Switch mode, can I use Shifty to have 4 different sequencers (CV + Gate) control one VCO, VCA? Basically use it in reverse.
the simple answer would be: no, not with only the shifty.

the longer answer would be: yes, you could use shifty to control 8 vcas with sequencers plugged into them as one way to achieve this goal.

another possible solution would be to purchase 2 stg soundlabs sequential switches and do it that way.
You're describing what a normal sequential switch would do. You'd only have one CV out, so you'd only need one gate out, which would be a copy of your clock. Or have I read you wrong? (TBH I haven't tried out the new modes yet.) :hmm:
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:
Sounds: SoundCloud , Freesound
Racks: Big Case, Top Row, Funboat, Tinicase

zerodivide
Veteran Wiggler

Post by zerodivide » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:47 pm

Intellijel, any chance we can get Shifty in a 1u version? wold be perfect

Midiot
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Intellijel Shifty

Post by Midiot » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:08 pm

Here's a copy of my successful update of Shifty that I posted of their youtube video.

"" I just updated my Shifty to v 1.12
Here's how I did it.....
Download current Updater App from the Intellijel "support page" to your computer (unpack the Zip file, and save to a familiar place)

Turn off your eurorack power.
Remove Shifty to access it's rear.
But leave the power cable connected, and attach the correct USB cable from computer to the mini jack on the back of Shifty.
(make sure Shifty's circuit-board is not in contact with anything metal. I tape a piece of paper behind the hanging module)
Hold down the small button on Shifty's rear, and power-on your rack at the same time. This enables "boot mode".
Install and open the "Intellijel Firmware Updater" app. you just unpacked.
Once open, it will let you choose which module you want to update, and the version.
Click the "Update" box at the bottom.
A log screen will soon appear, and say at the end, "update successful" .
Turn off eurorack power, and disconnect the USB from Shifty.
Re-install Shifty to your rack (screws), and power back on.
It should be done and updated. ""
"We'll be living in all the oceans now."
(type of music I make.... drone atmospheres, deep late-night beats.)

ToddOMG
Common Wiggler

Post by ToddOMG » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:35 pm

I lusted after this module, but I decided after awhile that my needs for it would be better by just combining mults, mutes and vcas.

Essentially wanted this module to control several different osc with the same sequence, but I can do that just fine manually multing and muting what I need at that moment.

zerodivide
Veteran Wiggler

Post by zerodivide » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:56 am

Haivng issues with shifty lately distributing pitch from Rene or O_C. Shifty spits back random off key values. I tried all 4 delay compensation settings too. Any ideas?

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:21 am

Here's what I got from Intellijel when that happened to mine:

"I would first try to update the firmware on this module. If this does not fix the issue, the Shifty may have a faulty voltage regulator which causes tuning issues similar to what you are describing."

If you try the firmware update and it doesn't work, I'd contact them directly.
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:

zerodivide
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Intellijel Shi

Post by zerodivide » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:07 am

Thanks and yeah I'm up to date on the firmware. Whats odd is that it used to work fine. Id have a little boards of Canada ish pitch woble on the transient of the note but not total off key unusable results

Parnelli
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Parnelli » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:44 pm

I have one coming, and I recently read that because of the way the triggers are processed sometimes there's a bit of slew when the note is first played, and then it levels out to pitch. There's a way to change how the module handles triggers:

Sampling Delay Compensation
Due to the nature of how many Eurorack sequencers or MIDI interfaces are implemented their
CV output can lag their gate output by up to a few milliseconds. The consequence is that if a
module like Shifty samples its CV input immediately upon receiving a gate it may read a value
that is slightly higher or lower than that which the sequencer is outputting. If this CV is being
used to control the frequency of an oscillator it will result in it sounding out of tune.
In the case of Shifty if the module is being used in track & hold mode mode this is rarely a
problem because this behaviour will simply result in a short and usually inaudible pitch glide at
the beginning of the note. However in sample & hold mode if the CV is sampled too early, the
note will be slightly out of tune.
Fortunately Shifty provides a way to compensation for this via a configurable gate delay. With
the gate delay disabled the CV output for the selected voice will reflect the CV input as soon as
possible. With the gate delay enabled the CV output and its corresponding gate will have a
slight delay before updating. This allows the incoming CV to settle at its target value.
Configuring the amount of delay compensation is simple:
1. Turn off your modular system.
2. Hold the GATE button on Shifty.
3. Turn on your modular system.
4. Use the VOICES switch to select the amount of delay compensation.
When set to “SR” the compensation is disabled, while settings 2, 3, and 4 provide
increasing amounts of delay.
5. Push the RESET button to confirm and save your settings.
You will need to experiment with different settings depending on which sources of gate and CV
you are using and find what works best for your system.

Hope that helps!

zerodivide
Veteran Wiggler

Post by zerodivide » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:49 pm

thanks for that but yeah like I wrote I tried all 4 compensation settings.
After more tests, it seems this issue only occurs in the new mode where Gate is being triggered by an external source to hocket, as opposed to constant rotation. I guess I'll email Intellijel

timoka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by timoka » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:45 pm

does the gate out follow the gate in? or is it a fixed gate length at the outputs?
i ask because i need something like shifty not for cv but for triggers, eg one dynamic trigger stream in and four trigger streams out with the same dynamics (lengths, voltages). or would it be possible to treat the trigger as cv and input it into CV in, would that work?

i don't have this module and i would appreciate someone testing the dynamic trigger into cv!
thanks

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:14 pm

the gate length of all the outputs are always the same as the gate length at the input.

Phitar
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Phitar » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:55 pm

timoka wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:45 pm
does the gate out follow the gate in? or is it a fixed gate length at the outputs?
i ask because i need something like shifty not for cv but for triggers, eg one dynamic trigger stream in and four trigger streams out with the same dynamics (lengths, voltages). or would it be possible to treat the trigger as cv and input it into CV in, would that work?

i don't have this module and i would appreciate someone testing the dynamic trigger into cv!
thanks
Gate(s) out follows the gate in. The gate in pretty much controls all outputs. You can input a trigger (instead of pitch) to the CV in and the voltage that was available at the CV input when it was sampled will be made available at one of the CV outputs for the duration of the input gate. Which one depends on the Voices and Order settings. If Voices is set to SR all output gates come on at the same time for the duration of the input gate but the CV outs are the contents of each particular register. Hope that helps and didn't confuse.
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

In adddition to "More Cowbell!" everything should have more REVERB! :tu:

timoka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by timoka » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:19 pm

thank you both @brandonlogic and @Phitar,

so the gate-out length follows the gate-in length, but it doesn't look at the gate voltage right?
i would need to use the CV in instead.
so if i want to have four voices hocketing pitch AND dynamic trigger i would need two shifty...
(i would like to use it with a cg-products peak and hold and that outputs triggers in varying voltage depending on the drumming)
anyway, thanks again and it seems i will give shifty a try, a great module on paper definitely!
cheers

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:47 pm

timoka wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:19 pm

so the gate-out length follows the gate-in length, but it doesn't look at the gate voltage right?
so if i want to have four voices hocketing pitch AND dynamic trigger i would need two shifty...
(i would like to use it with a cg-products peak and hold and that outputs triggers in varying voltage depending on the drumming)
anyway, thanks again and it seems i will give shifty a try, a great module on paper definitely!
cheers
the gate outputs a fixed voltage, it does not reflect the voltage of the gate at the input.
also, you're not going to really get gates/triggers out of the cv outs because the cv out does not go back to zero unless the cv in goes to zero when triggered. its like a sample and hold, the cv outputs will hold the voltage until the the next gate input. i dont think it will do what you want it too without using vca's on your gates after shifty...

timoka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by timoka » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:41 pm

ah shit ja that makes sense. thanks brandon.

scottmfr
Common Wiggler

Post by scottmfr » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:41 pm

timoka wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:19 pm

cheers
If I understand it correctly, what you could maybe do is mult the P&H varied voltage gate output and send one copy to Shifty and use Shifty's gate outs with a VCA to pass the original varied voltage out when that voice's gate is high from Shifty. It's a little more complicated, but I think it could work.

timoka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by timoka » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:07 pm

thanks @scorttmfr,
yeah i think that would work, but then i would need 4 vca's "just" for letting the trigger through. but it's worth a try.

it's a pity that dynamic gates/triggers are almost of no interest in modular synthesis circles it seems...it's unused information if you ask me, it could easily work as a velocity-like information and an envelope for example would need on more built in vca and voila:
dynamic envelopes:)

Mr. Aloud
Common Wiggler

Post by Mr. Aloud » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:24 am

So what would it take to rebuild a shifty from primitives?

The reason I ask is more flexbility and control over the routing process, so for example:
- more than 4 outs
- full (CV = sequenced) control over which output a signal is routed to, including multiple outputs at the same time
- have the routing control automated by a repeatable random source, fishing for happy accidents
- a dual 1:2 mode, so you can have two sources routed to 4 destinations, maybe even build cascaded setups of this

Ideas? Don´t care about hp and would love to go DIY on that.
It would seem that still, after all these years, perception is essentially thought to be a passive process.

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:16 pm

Mr. Aloud wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:24 am

The reason I ask is more flexbility and control over the routing process, so for example:
- more than 4 outs
- full (CV = sequenced) control over which output a signal is routed to, including multiple outputs at the same time
- have the routing control automated by a repeatable random source, fishing for happy accidents
- a dual 1:2 mode, so you can have two sources routed to 4 destinations, maybe even build cascaded setups of this

You might want to take a look at the Doepfer A152.

As I understand it there's a buffering issue which makes bi-directional difficult. In other words you can have bi-directional or you can have it in tune, but not both.

Otherwise I think of a shift register as the lovechild of a switch and a sample and hold.
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:

zerodivide
Veteran Wiggler

Post by zerodivide » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:31 am

Mr. Aloud wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:24 am

- more than 4 outs

get 2 Shifties. Will still be much easier and less expensive than the parts you'd need to build this.
Thing is Shifty doesn't just shift every time it gets a gate, with the latest update you can decide when it shifts by sending a gate into its reset. You would prob need at least 2 shift registers and a sample&hold module for every 4 channels

Return to “Eurorack Modules”