Intellijel Tetrapad

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Post Reply
User avatar
Underwood
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:47 am

Re: Intellijel Tetrapad

Post by Underwood » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:28 pm

slowwild wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:20 pm
A wild Tête v1.1 appeared!

Notes and Download links here: https://forum.intellijel.com/t/tete-v1- ... -mode/2370

Also, we see the notes above on the arpeggiator and we'll add the request (like we do for all ideas/requests we see) for review when we start working on the next update!
Wait, so you've added voltage banks to the combo mode? Nice!


Any chance a future update will make it possible to connect a 2nd tatrapad to the tête? Because that would be amazing.


Edit:
Oh, the new touch outputs are pretty cool too. Not sure what I'll do with it, but i guess i'll find good use for it :yay:

User avatar
xcc
Common Wiggler
Posts: 127
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:37 am
Location: TX

Re: Intellijel Tetrapad

Post by xcc » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:32 pm

slowwild wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:20 pm
A wild Tête v1.1 appeared!

Notes and Download links here: https://forum.intellijel.com/t/tete-v1- ... -mode/2370

Also, we see the notes above on the arpeggiator and we'll add the request (like we do for all ideas/requests we see) for review when we start working on the next update!
Very cool! Love the new Loopy gate output. That would be great sent to the freeze function on a delay or all kinds of fun things.

Could you expand on this one though? Not sure I understand, but I’m experimenting with using the Tete as my master transport: “NEW: The Global Setup Menu has a new Late Comp toggle for enabling/disabling Play/Record Compensation. It can be useful to turn this off when Tête is used as the master transport control in your system.”

User avatar
brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2395
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:17 am

Re: Intellijel Tetrapad

Post by brandonlogic » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:17 pm

scottmfr wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:36 pm
One difficulty I realized after thinking about this a bit is that each of the four pads can only detect one point of contact at a time, so you wouldn't be able to hold two "keys" on the same pad.

However, in line with your Infinity button... Maybe pressing an encoder would activate a latch or hold mode so the arp would keep cycling once a key is pressed. Then pressing other keys on that pad would add them to the arpeggiator. If each pad had its own latch/hold mode then you could temporarily add notes to the arp by pressing a key and remove them once you release them if the second pad is unlatched.

Pressing the red button would go into an arp edit mode where turning the encoder could cycle through the arp modes like up, down. up-down, down-up, random, and cycle.

I'm imagining this would be an option you would activate in the Notes Mode settings menu, then you would be able to use it with the existing Looper and Sequencer.
Thanks for the suggestion, this could be a great workaround for that limitation!

michel07
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:44 am
Location: france

Re: Intellijel Tetrapad

Post by michel07 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:54 am

edit deleted

User avatar
slowwild
Common Wiggler
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Intellijel Tetrapad

Post by slowwild » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:53 pm

xcc wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:32 pm
Could you expand on this one though? Not sure I understand, but I’m experimenting with using the Tete as my master transport: “NEW: The Global Setup Menu has a new Late Comp toggle for enabling/disabling Play/Record Compensation. It can be useful to turn this off when Tête is used as the master transport control in your system.”
When using the Tetrapad and an External clock, there is some forgiveness for sloppy REC or PLAY timing when the looper is synced or you are using the sequencer, we can compensate internally (basic time travel), AKA Late Compensation.

It's very specific to using an External Clock to drive the Tête, and then driving the timing of other sequencers or loopers like the ER-301* with RUN, PLAY, RUN+REC type events from the Tête's outputs (SYNC/A/B). We obviously can't offer the same time travel features in other modules, so it could lead to small timing issues. This option disables the compensation, play nice with all the other gear you're sending transport controls too, but will requiring your timing to be tighter (we believe in you!).

Said another way, from the Manual...

Late Comp.: (On, Off)
When clocking Tête externally, turning ON Late Compensation allows Tête to handle any incoming variations in externally arriving signals, keeping everything perfectly synced. However, if you’re running Tête from its internal clock, but driving external modules from it, you may achieve even tighter synchronization by turning OFF the Late Compensation setting.

When we added all of the extra SYNC out options and started matching up again our other sequencers and other modules, it became apparent that this toggle was necessary to keep it all tight (in that situation). If you are driving the Tête from an external clock and transport module or master sequencer you would probably want it enabled, if you are not then driving other transport controls. If you are using the you are using the Tete's internal clock, none of this will make a difference.

*PS. Tête+Tetrapad in Combo/Voltages mode is the ultimate ER-301 Controller, I love it.
slow wild, electric ropes
a boy at intellijel
https://slowwild.party

User avatar
xcc
Common Wiggler
Posts: 127
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:37 am
Location: TX

Re: Intellijel Tetrapad

Post by xcc » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:47 pm

slowwild wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:53 pm
xcc wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:32 pm
Could you expand on this one though? Not sure I understand, but I’m experimenting with using the Tete as my master transport: “NEW: The Global Setup Menu has a new Late Comp toggle for enabling/disabling Play/Record Compensation. It can be useful to turn this off when Tête is used as the master transport control in your system.”
When using the Tetrapad and an External clock, there is some forgiveness for sloppy REC or PLAY timing when the looper is synced or you are using the sequencer, we can compensate internally (basic time travel), AKA Late Compensation.

It's very specific to using an External Clock to drive the Tête, and then driving the timing of other sequencers or loopers like the ER-301* with RUN, PLAY, RUN+REC type events from the Tête's outputs (SYNC/A/B). We obviously can't offer the same time travel features in other modules, so it could lead to small timing issues. This option disables the compensation, play nice with all the other gear you're sending transport controls too, but will requiring your timing to be tighter (we believe in you!).
Said another way, from the Manual...

Late Comp.: (On, Off)
When clocking Tête externally, turning ON Late Compensation allows Tête to handle any incoming variations in externally arriving signals, keeping everything perfectly synced. However, if you’re running Tête from its internal clock, but driving external modules from it, you may achieve even tighter synchronization by turning OFF the Late Compensation setting.

When we added all of the extra SYNC out options and started matching up again our other sequencers and other modules, it became apparent that this toggle was necessary to keep it all tight (in that situation). If you are driving the Tête from an external clock and transport module or master sequencer you would probably want it enabled, if you are not then driving other transport controls. If you are using the you are using the Tete's internal clock, none of this will make a difference.

*PS. Tête+Tetrapad in Combo/Voltages mode is the ultimate ER-301 Controller, I love it.
Got it, thanks. Makes perfect sense to have that option.

PS Voltages is Combo mode is awesome. I love that it can be quantized or not.

SavageMessiah
Common Wiggler
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:48 pm

Re: Intellijel Tetrapad

Post by SavageMessiah » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:13 pm

slowwild wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:53 pm
*PS. Tête+Tetrapad in Combo/Voltages mode is the ultimate ER-301 Controller, I love it.
Heh, the first thing I did after I got Tete was put Tete+Tetrapad and er-301 into my palette case. I think I would fill the last 4 hp with an FX AID now that I have one to offload some CPU intensive effects. You can do a hell of a lot with that little setup.

User avatar
slowwild
Common Wiggler
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Intellijel Tetrapad

Post by slowwild » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:47 pm

Had to post a quick 1.1.0.1 fix, download link same as above: https://intellijel.com/support/
slow wild, electric ropes
a boy at intellijel
https://slowwild.party

User avatar
phutureboy
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 730
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:03 pm

Re: Intellijel Tetrapad

Post by phutureboy » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:54 pm

Thanks.
When in Quantised Voltage Values it might be cool to display notes in place of voltages...
And in that case each step of the pots would change the note to the next note instead of having to turn many steps of the pot before switching to the next note.
FS: EMS Analyse Filterbank B1-II | EMS AKS | RSF Expander I & II | PEARL Syncussion SY-1 | KORG MS-20 | KORG SQ-10

michel07
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:44 am
Location: france

Re: Intellijel Tetrapad

Post by michel07 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:18 am

Would that be possible, in Voltage mode to add an option "randomize banks" in the CV input?

User avatar
Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3829
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:16 pm
Location: Oslo
Contact:

Re: Intellijel Tetrapad

Post by Daisuk » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:49 am

Any chance of getting 16 pads available for Tetrapad when using it in voltage mode without Tete? I just got a second Tetrapad, to use solely as a controller (the other one is used as a sequencer with Tete), and it would be sweet to have 16 pads available on that as well.

User avatar
brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2395
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:17 am

Re: Intellijel Tetrapad

Post by brandonlogic » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:17 pm

If had it for a couple weeks now.
Gotta day Euclidean mode has been my favorite so far!

User avatar
xcc
Common Wiggler
Posts: 127
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:37 am
Location: TX

Re: Intellijel Tetrapad

Post by xcc » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:18 pm

brandonlogic wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:17 pm
If had it for a couple weeks now.
Gotta day Euclidean mode has been my favorite so far!
Yes! Euclidean mode is a blast. I always have at least one dedicated. Usually two.

Parnelli
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1205
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 6:04 pm
Location: Utah

Re: Intellijel Tetrapad

Post by Parnelli » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:45 pm

Euclidean mode, and then I use the Planar2 into the X and Y inputs to switch the beats around, it's a blast! I have a plonk, plaits, crucible, and DUKRPLS that I trigger with them for all sorts of rhythmic beats, I'm having a blast with this!

rupa
Common Wiggler
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:24 pm

Re: Intellijel Tetrapad

Post by rupa » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:40 pm

Tetrapad + Tete is pretty fantastic IMO. It's amazingly intuitive to get around despite how ridiculously deep and flexible it is. A bit of a master class in good UI/UX in problem spaces that can only be simplified up to a point.

Since I know there is active development on tete, my greatest hope is to eventually see a more fleshed out "finger drum" mode pulled out from the "Euclidean 0" setting. I wonder how many others feel the same way, and what kind of ideas and suggestions others would have. Apologies of course, if I missed features or possibilities that are already present, or if you think I'm a victim of anti-modular thinking, and am asking for too much from a "single pair" of modules :)

Some things I'm thinking could be nice in such a mode:

* option for triggers instead of gates - this seems broadly useful, even in the existing Euclidean mode. Quickest I can tap in are still too long to avoid double triggering on things like rings' input. Configurable or variable trigger lengths could be handy, especially for triggering external gear. A multiplier/divider for gate length on a playing sequence could be really cool, but i could see that sort of thing being a stretch in terms of keeping things simple and not overly specific
* a 2-sequence per-pad mode would free up more tracks for those that don't need position CV, and allow for chokes, boolean logic, and other kinds of sync/interaction between two channels
* drum-specific settings like rachets/triplets/accents might clutter things up or fit awkwardly with euclidean mode, but fit well in a dedicated drum mode.
* finer grained attenuation options for outputs could be nice in this mode, designed for interacting with external equipment. 1V steps are already really nice to have built-in, but a lot of external cv/expression gear has ranges like 3.5V, and drum trigger modules can be be pretty finicky with their input tolerances. being able to set a minimum on the range could be useful, if it could be crammed in without overcomplicating things. this stuff could probably be useful for attenuation in general, but i could see it make sense to me to limit it to one mode if it adds unavoidable complication to the UI.

Last, but not least for me, icing on the cake would be for an option for "velocity trigger" outputs - triggers with the amplitude determined via position or pressure. The use case is for external drum trigger modules, like Nord Drum or Roland TM-2, and I'm pretty sure it's been requested before in this thread. Do-able now from Euclidean 0 with a gate-trigger converter and VCA for each channel, but it would be nice not to use up so many of these. This kind of channel would have more general purpose uses, e.g. pinging things like filters and LPGs, or Rings' audio input.

TL;DR: a focused "Drums" mode, more focused on triggers than gates, with consideration given to controlling modules and external gear that's finicky about gate length, gate amplitude, and CV range, would be, in my opinion, an excellent addition to this already excellent pair of modules. Additionally, a separate Drums mode would allow for some additional/complicated features without complicating the UI/UX for existing modes.

mmontazeri
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:13 pm

Re: Intellijel Tetrapad

Post by mmontazeri » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:03 am

Pitch for a notes in combo mode: takes up 2 pads, 3 pitch outputs for a given chord, one gate or pressure output.

I'd loveeee having this alongside one or two euclidean drums

Dibek
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:41 pm
Location: Vienna

Re: Intellijel Tetrapad

Post by Dibek » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:06 am

i habe troubles with setting the length in looper in Voltages Mode.
Even if i send a very slow clock and set the length to 64 i get a very short loop only, like two beats length.

Any idea what i´m doing wrong? I think i should be able to record a much longer sequence of voltages this way, right?

Thanks!

Edit:

I got it, haha. Apparently if i record for 8 clock ticks it sets the length to 8 clock ticks and so on, my bad!

Dibek
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:41 pm
Location: Vienna

Re: Intellijel Tetrapad

Post by Dibek » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:57 pm

i think i found a bug in the looper.

i like to record an empty sequence before i fill it with events and overdub on it.
Once this is done the currently selected pad is recorded into the sequence, which means that if i add other events it always jumps back to the one selected pad while generating the empty sequence. It´s not possible to remove or overwrite this pad.

Can anyone confirm?

also, is there a better way to create an empty looper sequence?

User avatar
slowwild
Common Wiggler
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Intellijel Tetrapad

Post by slowwild » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:16 pm



Really cool use of the Drum Pads in Combo Mode:

Chris sets 4 of them them to 0 steps (Manual Gate) to play 4 voices. When you quantize the outputs of each drum pad, the pitch outputs will quantize to your scale/root and S&H while you hold the pad. When you set the pad range to somewhere from 1 to 3 volts, it becomes a very playable polyphonic controller. Add to that Looping and Loopy for some really cool effects.
slow wild, electric ropes
a boy at intellijel
https://slowwild.party

User avatar
Wick
Common Wiggler
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:46 am

Re: Intellijel Tetrapad

Post by Wick » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:50 am

what mode on the tete is Chris playing on the instagram vid?

scottmfr
Common Wiggler
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:49 pm
Location: vancouver, bc

Re: Intellijel Tetrapad

Post by scottmfr » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:25 am

Wick wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:50 am
what mode on the tete is Chris playing on the instagram vid?
If he's using (euclidean) drum pads, Tete would be in Combo Mode. He's just setting the drum pads to 0 pulses/steps, so they don't retrigger while being held down.

User avatar
Wick
Common Wiggler
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:46 am

Re: Intellijel Tetrapad

Post by Wick » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:23 pm

scottmfr wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:25 am
Wick wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:50 am
what mode on the tete is Chris playing on the instagram vid?
If he's using (euclidean) drum pads, Tete would be in Combo Mode. He's just setting the drum pads to 0 pulses/steps, so they don't retrigger while being held down.
thanks

User avatar
nomass
Common Wiggler
Posts: 186
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 5:35 am
Location: DC

Re: Intellijel Tetrapad

Post by nomass » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:00 pm

Does anyone know if I connect usb to tete to update it, or would I connect it to tetrapad? There is a different kind of connector on my tete. It appears to be labeled usb FS. My Tetrapad has a mini usb jack. I’m not sure what kind of jack is on the tete.

User avatar
nomass
Common Wiggler
Posts: 186
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 5:35 am
Location: DC

Re: Intellijel Tetrapad

Post by nomass » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:05 pm

5360F8E9-3B03-446F-9114-AF737A035612.jpeg
here is a photo of my tete.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
megarat
Common Wiggler
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:09 pm
Location: Squirt Island, USA

Re: Intellijel Tetrapad

Post by megarat » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:50 pm

They're both USB jacks. The Tetrapad is an older device, so I recall that it has a female mini-B USB port. The Tete has a (more modern) female micro-B USB port, as shown in @nomass's photo above.

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”