Intellijel Tetrapad

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

johannes
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Intellijel Tetrapad

Post by johannes » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:24 am

Kisielk, That would be a very nice addition!

Saladolar & autopoiesis, thanks for your feedback. Interesting to read your experience with the tp/tete. Am i right that
the looper sends one sequence of triggers to the tetrapad that will than output the corresponding stored voltages via the 8 outs? So there is no way to send multiple sequences to the tetrapad? Or a clockdivider, that sets the speed of sequence playback for each pad/zone on the tp? Iam just curious if you somehow could get independent sequences from the tetrapad. Muting single notes/ cv values would of course help to get variation between the 8 outputs as well...

kisielk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kisielk » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:33 am

The one limitation would be that you could only use one setting from each column, but that would probably still be interesting.
Intellijel R&D

johannes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by johannes » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:17 am

you mean for the arp mode? could you please elaborate?

Saladolar
Common Wiggler

Post by Saladolar » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:49 pm

johannes wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:24 am

Saladolar & autopoiesis, thanks for your feedback. Interesting to read your experience with the tp/tete. Am i right that
the looper sends one sequence of triggers to the tetrapad that will than output the corresponding stored voltages via the 8 outs? So there is no way to send multiple sequences to the tetrapad? Or a clockdivider, that sets the speed of sequence playback for each pad/zone on the tp? Iam just curious if you somehow could get independent sequences from the tetrapad. Muting single notes/ cv values would of course help to get variation between the 8 outputs as well...
If i understand well what you ask : no. In voltage mode, you simply can sequence one voltage bank at once. It's kinda mono, if it makes sense.
In combo mode, you can set up four voltage banks (one per pad on the tetrapad, but only two voltages per pad) : so you can create 4 loops for each bank, but each loop will share the same length.

kisielk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kisielk » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:07 pm

johannes wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:17 am
you mean for the arp mode? could you please elaborate?
The Tetrapad consists of only four sensors, each of which provides position and pressure. The "grid" in voltages mode is created by just creating different "zones" on each sensor, but we can only detect touch on one zone of a pad at a time (either the highest or the lowest, I can't remember exactly which way at the moment). So for this hypothetical arp mode you'd be limited to holding one zone in a column at a time.
Intellijel R&D

johannes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by johannes » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:48 pm

got it. so the max number of notes in arp would be 4, right.
is it possible to connect 2 tetrapads to 1 tete?

batch
Collector of fine modules

Post by batch » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:53 pm

Saladolar wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:49 pm
johannes wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:24 am

If i understand well what you ask : no. In voltage mode, you simply can sequence one voltage bank at once. It's kinda mono, if it makes sense.
In combo mode, you can set up four voltage banks (one per pad on the tetrapad, but only two voltages per pad) : so you can create 4 loops for each bank, but each loop will share the same length.
I don’t think that’s correct.

In voltage mode you have 8 voltages available at the same time. You also have up to 16 banks of stored voltages per out. You can then sequence the banks so the 16 voltages for one out can be played in any order. This sequence can be very long (I think 256 steps). The only restriction is therefore that all the voltages banks are changing at the same time. But you can go Bank 1, 1, 2, 7, 1, 12 .... whatever.

If you were thoughtful about how you setup your banks you could have 2-3 octaves of a scale available on each out in different orders or ranges and then move through them. So when you go from bank 1 to 2, bank 1 might be going up a scale and bank 2 going down.

The other restriction is that as all 8 move at the same time you really want a separate trigger/ gate sequencer to get different rhythms going.

I’ve only started playing with It as a sequencer recently and have to admit that it’s insanely powerful.
Monday Night Modular - a weekly virtual meetup @ 8pm PT

johannes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by johannes » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:01 pm

thanks batch. let me know when you find a workarround for the restriction of "all the voltages banks are changing at the same time"... :-)
yes, getting individual seq length or different speed/clockdiv-mult (or even an 2nd clock input) for the 8 cv channels/outputs would be nice – so you don't end up with the same constellation/relation between the 8 cv channels for each repetion… from reading chunks of the manual i get the feeling that there might be other ways to get variation into the sequences. looking forward to hear more reports, experiences, etc.

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:39 pm

I'm afraid not. the value of each of the 8 outputs is tied to the bank index, and there is only one sequence of bank indexes, though the direction of that sequence can be very nonlinear. with some external memory store -- something like a Brainseed, or a sample and hold clocked at some division of the Tete's clock -- you could break out of this "one sequence with eight dimensions" model.

Voggg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voggg » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:01 pm

Is it possible to get AD envelopes from Tete instead of gates? (or a slewed decay?)

I'm putting Tete/Tetrapad into a smaller case and I have to take the current envelope generator out to make room.

Voggg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voggg » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:27 pm

(posted an issue and then solved it)

Ebotronix
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Ebotronix » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:08 pm

is it possible to use the Tete with two Tetrapads?

megarat
Veteran Wiggler

Post by megarat » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:50 pm

Ebotronix wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:08 pm
Nope. That is, you can’t have a single Tete be in control of two Tetrapads.

But of course you can have a Tete driving a single Tetrapad, and a single standalone Tetrapad.

Ebotronix
Ultra Wiggler

Re:

Post by Ebotronix » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:56 pm

kisielk wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:19 am
Dogma wrote:
kisielk wrote:
chysn wrote:Somebody asked how big the expander would be. I realize that it's probably not possible to give an absolute answer at this point. But can you give us a sort of range? Like will it be Brains-sized (say, 4-6HP)? Or slightly bigger (8-10HP)? Or will it approach the size of the Tetrapad itself (12-20HP+)?
We're aiming for 8-10hp. Will see how it works out UI wise and whether there is enough IO there.
Will it be possible to hook up more than one tetrapad per expander?
Aiming for two. Should be receiving the proto hardware soon so I'll be able to start testing some of these ideas out.
there are two tetrapad connectors on the back side of the Tete modul

megarat
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Re:

Post by megarat » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:59 pm

Ebotronix wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:56 pm
there are two tetrapad connectors on the back side of the Tete modul
Yes, and this has been discussed before: the second connector is there for the option to install Tete on either side of the Tetrapad, and for future expansion options, including the possibility of connecting two Tetrapads, but it can’t currently do this.
slowwild wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:34 pm
qwertyuiop wrote:
Just digging in, but noticed that there are two i2c connectors on the back of Tete. Any chance in the future it could connect to multiple Tetrapads?
We didn't want to close off the possibility.

atrostor
Veteran Wiggler

Re:

Post by atrostor » Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:03 pm

Hey slowwild,

Did you ever get a chance to circle back to this idea? I don't know if this conflicts with any Tete functionality but it would be super cool to be able to fine tune the fader output with the rotary knobs.

Thanks!
slowwild wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:06 pm
atrostor wrote:Hi slowwild, would it be possible to use the rotary knobs to adjust the corresponding fader position in the Unipolar and Bipolar Fader modes? I believe the knobs currently don’t do anything in those modes and I often find myself wanting to nudge the fader values.
I like this idea a lot, let me ponder the implementation, and add it to the feature request list.

Thanks!

Parnelli
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Parnelli » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:34 pm

megarat wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:50 pm
Ebotronix wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:08 pm
Nope. That is, you can’t have a single Tete be in control of two Tetrapads.

But of course you can have a Tete driving a single Tetrapad, and a single standalone Tetrapad.
Which works wonderfully for me...

Togi
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Togi » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:40 am

Hey,

maybe you wouldn't even need a second Tetrapad. Every expressioninput on the Tetrapad is encoderbased:

If you would just build an 4-6 HP expander with 2 big Buttons (A and B) and 8 CV-Outs (maybe with the + 3 additional Tetê outs) , you could instantly switch between two sessions of one Tetrapad. Even the Tetê could switch with. The only limitation is the CPU.

With this extension you would have with 34HP indisputable one of the best sequencers on the market and anyway the best when it comes to expression.

With an additional Expander new possibilities arise: You could build 4-6 Buttons to instantly switch between presets. Maybe even a Fader (and cv controller) for a smooth switch if the presets are on same mode. Kind of a 4D sequencing. This would have a insane live playability.

I thinking about buying the Combo but In my opinion the biggest limitation of the Tetrapad are the dependent outputs. I'd love to sequence two Voices independently and also have the full possibilities of the Voltagemode. With an expansion like this, the TP is a no-brainer.

megarat
Veteran Wiggler

Post by megarat » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:49 pm

For those of you who have used the Tetrapad with and without the Tête: how much do you feel the Tête improves the UI/usability of the Tetrapad, versus a standalone Tetrapad? Would you ever go back to a solitary Tetrapad?

I have a Tête-Tetrapad combo, which I purchased together, but I’m not really using the Tête’s sequencer. My use of the Tetrapad tends to be more for its control aspects, and I find that the Tête mostly gets used for its screen, for ease of configuration. The more I think about it, the more tempting it is to go Têteless and reclaim that 8hp for something else, but I’m concerned about ease of use. I’m not really one for memorizing the meanings of different light colors and bottom combos.

If you have any thoughts about the usability of a standalone Tetrapad vs. a Tetrapad+Tête, I would love to hear them.

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:06 pm

megarat wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:49 pm
For those of you who have used the Tetrapad with and without the Tête: how much do you feel the Tête improves the UI/usability of the Tetrapad, versus a standalone Tetrapad? Would you ever go back to a solitary Tetrapad?

I have a Tête-Tetrapad combo, which I purchased together, but I’m not really using the Tête’s sequencer. My use of the Tetrapad tends to be more for its control aspects, and I find that the Tête mostly gets used for its screen, for ease of configuration. The more I think about it, the more tempting it is to go Têteless and reclaim that 8hp for something else, but I’m concerned about ease of use. I’m not really one for memorizing the meanings of different light colors and bottom combos.

If you have any thoughts about the usability of a standalone Tetrapad vs. a Tetrapad+Tête, I would love to hear them.

to me its essential, i would never go back to not having it as long as i have the tetrapad. even if your not using the sequencer/looper (i do use the looper a lot though), its just nice to have a display to see whats going on, seeing the values of notes and voltages. i use the combo mode most often. and i love the Euclidian mode too, so i would never go back.

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:39 pm

Essential to me as well. But I also keep a second Tetrapad independent. Even without the sequencing, I'm completely addicted tot he euclidian patterns, recordable faders, and being able to recall all of those settings.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
FS/T: Goike 12u/104hp Bamboo/Aluminum Folding Case

ronaldroy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ronaldroy » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:17 am

I am considering the Tetrapad and have a couple of (probably basic) questions.

In voltage mode, knob settings are automatically saved right?

And there's no way to combine stored voltages with the other modes in combo modes?? I am thinking about being able to recreate the Meng Qi Voltage Memory which has 6 stored voltages + a gate out every time a 'pad' is touched.

mmm

so close ...

Unless I have misunderstood.

megarat
Veteran Wiggler

Post by megarat » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:19 am

ronaldroy wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:17 am
In voltage mode, knob settings are automatically saved right?
The Tetrapad does an excellent job of saving everything as you work with it, although it does have the ability to save your specific settings should you want to re-load them later. Whether you’re using a standalone TP or a TP with a Tête will determine how you save/load the presets and how many you can store.

ronaldroy wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:17 am

And there's no way to combine stored voltages with the other modes in combo modes?? I am thinking about being able to recreate the Meng Qi Voltage Memory which has 6 stored voltages + a gate out every time a 'pad' is touched.
With a standalone Tetrapad, in voltages mode, you can store eight voltages for each of eight buttons, and they get retained in memory, but as soon as you change to another mode (e.g., combo mode), the TP functions in a completely different way so that you can’t get access to those voltages until you switch back to voltages mode.

If you’re using a Tête, combo mode has a “voltage banks” mode. A pad in voltage banks mode is divided into four sub-pads, each of which output two voltages. So you can have (for example) two pads in voltage mode, one pad as an LFO, and another running Euclidean rhythms.

If I understand what you want, the TP doesn’t provide a gate when a key is pressed in any of the aforementioned voltage modes (all of the outputs are reserved for voltages). But if you have a Tête, it can output a trigger (not a gate) whenever you touch a pad if you configure one of the Tête’s CV outs to ‘touch’.

(Anyone else, please correct me if my answer is incomplete or inaccurate. There’s a lot to Tetrapad + Tête, and I willingly admit that I’m not as familiar with these modules as I could be.)

ronaldroy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ronaldroy » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:36 am

Thanks for the quick reply. So I need the Tete. Good to know. Looks like a cracker of a module though.

Dibek
Common Wiggler

Post by Dibek » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:45 am

It would be awesome if the loopy length could be set with a clock input, hope intellijel considers this as an option for an update.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”