WMD MSCL stereo compressor

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

User avatar
Xssory
Common Wiggler
Posts: 165
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:43 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Post by Xssory » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:56 am

Just racked up the MSCL and gave it a spin

Settings as shown in the track image

here's a test with a synth voice fed through some stereo chorus (Dixie II+ > Ripples > Black Hole)

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/309917042" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

And here's a full track coming from my rack w/ previous synth voice and lots of percussion/samples

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/309917103" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

At the end of each test I turn the compression somewhat slowly back down so you can hear what noise this module may introduce (very little IMO)

User avatar
pyjamarama
Common Wiggler
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:07 am
Location: USA

Post by pyjamarama » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:04 pm

thanks xssory much appreciated. :tu:

User avatar
dash80
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 328
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 10:51 pm
Location: ❰ ℝℇ№, ℕ℣ ❱

Post by dash80 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:08 pm

Fantastic! Thanks for the samples.

Mine should be here in time for weekend wiggling.
✦ you're my favorite, but we're phasing //

User avatar
Xssory
Common Wiggler
Posts: 165
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:43 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Post by Xssory » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:13 pm

no problem!

This is actually the first high quality analog compressor I've ever owned and man does it sound good - didn't realize what I was missing!

User avatar
Vcoadsr
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 672
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:04 pm
Location: Brighton, UK
Contact:

Post by Vcoadsr » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:06 am

Picked up two of these for sidechaining my send/returns on my mixer (4ms DLD & Z-DSP). Works great when sending the kick as the side chain source.

Question for WMD:
How does the side chain source interact with the attack & release settings. I'm finding that I set them both to full CCW & I'm still hearing the envelope decay of the kick, so is there some sort of envelope follower that is then passed to the compressor?

User avatar
matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 9681
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:12 pm
Location: Manchester, UK

Post by matttech » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:13 am

You will do, if your side gain source has an enveloped decay, as the compressor will still be reacting to some degree, even when the sound is tailing off. For more sudden level jumps back upwards I tend to use much shorter click-like sounds as a side gain trigger source. When doing this in my DAW, I actually have an apple loop of the metronome sound from Logic which I use for this purpose. Obviously I don't use the click signal itself in the mix. A rimshots or similar would work too. Some compressors do have a kind of curve to the way they transition between gains though, much like a vactrol "ring"

User avatar
Vcoadsr
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 672
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:04 pm
Location: Brighton, UK
Contact:

Post by Vcoadsr » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:24 am

matttech wrote:You will do, if your side gain source has an enveloped decay, as the compressor will still be reacting to some degree, even when the sound is tailing off. For more sudden level jumps back upwards I tend to use much shorter click-like sounds as a side gain trigger source. When doing this in my DAW, I actually have an apple loop of the metronome sound from Logic which I use for this purpose. Obviously I don't use the click signal itself in the mix. A rimshots or similar would work too. Some compressors do have a kind of curve to the way they transition between gains though, much like a vactrol "ring"
Thanks Matt. I might try sending the kick trigger into the sidechaining input and then play with the attack/decay parameters. What I like with send a sound source is that I'm not limited to the kick but any source coming off my mixer. Will play further :-)

User avatar
7C
Common Wiggler
Posts: 243
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 10:17 am
Location: lisbon

Post by 7C » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:33 am

are the inputs normalled? like for a mono drum submix? and is there a way you can affect the sidechain, but not hear it at the out?

User avatar
WMDevices
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 652
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:35 pm
Location: Denver, CO

Post by WMDevices » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:55 am

7C wrote:are the inputs normalled? like for a mono drum submix? and is there a way you can affect the sidechain, but not hear it at the out?
Yes the inputs are normaled or else the stereo detectors get weird with different signal levels.

The side chain has to be enabled with the effect IN/OUT/SC switch. So you can turn off the side chain if desired without pulling cables.
Check out the growing number of WMD Demo Videos | WMD Website

User avatar
WMDevices
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 652
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:35 pm
Location: Denver, CO

Post by WMDevices » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:01 am

Vcoadsr wrote:Picked up two of these for sidechaining my send/returns on my mixer (4ms DLD & Z-DSP). Works great when sending the kick as the side chain source.

Question for WMD:
How does the side chain source interact with the attack & release settings. I'm finding that I set them both to full CCW & I'm still hearing the envelope decay of the kick, so is there some sort of envelope follower that is then passed to the compressor?
Yeah the compressor's detector is an envelope follower so it will react to the rest of the kick's amplitude envelope in a side chain and won't release faster than the kick's envelope.

Like Matttech said, using a rim shot or even the kick's trigger will allow you to dial in the release if you need it faster.
Check out the growing number of WMD Demo Videos | WMD Website

User avatar
GNSDG
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 489
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:39 am
Location: NJ

Post by GNSDG » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:01 pm

This looks so great. Also look forward to more user reports.
WTB: Your 54HP lunchbox!

Cortega
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 278
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:44 am
Location: Bremen Germany

Post by Cortega » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:59 am

can anyone review how it sounds, is the the sound and saturation comparable with the other WMD Compressor ? work the one knob control in praxis ?

cyclopeatron
Common Wiggler
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:32 am
Location: Ithaca, NY

Post by cyclopeatron » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:48 pm

Cortega wrote:can anyone review how it sounds, is the the sound and saturation comparable with the other WMD Compressor ? work the one knob control in praxis ?
Yeah... anyone able to comment on the behavior and character of MSCL compared to other compressor modules or rackmount units...?

I haven't seen many user reports on this module, but it looks pretty good.

User avatar
neonmercury1
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 333
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:15 pm
Location: Berlin

Post by neonmercury1 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:00 pm

Im also wondering the same thing. Im weighing this or possibly two RNC's can anyone enlighten us?

User avatar
pyjamarama
Common Wiggler
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:07 am
Location: USA

Post by pyjamarama » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:11 pm

been using this for a few months now and it's fantastic. compact, quiet, true stereo and surprisingly flexible. it's a proper piece of gear in terms of sound too. very impressive.

uniquepersonno2
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 925
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:11 pm
Location: LA

Post by uniquepersonno2 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:12 am

I love mine, use it all the time. I patch in mono a lot so I use it to duck two sources to a kick or whatever all the time, super useful, and the saturation sounds awesome. Only thing I don't like is that the switches are impossible to flip without bumping the knobs (at least in my case with my fingers) but that's not a big deal to me, mostly a set and forget kind of module anyway :yay: highly recommend it!

User avatar
dbeats
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:50 am
Location: Kiel, Germany

Post by dbeats » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:03 pm

Got mine today, sounds lovely, very handy. I think I also need a second one.

User avatar
SB-SIX
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 797
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:36 am
Location: Nederland
Contact:

Post by SB-SIX » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:58 pm

Got one too. Not played alot with it but what I heard was great. Mainly used it for heavy sidechaining and that works great. What is a good scenario for using the other modes (in/out)?
The 1 knob control action did not keep the volume at roughly the same level in my test. I've only played one night with it. I can only compare it to streams, the mscl works alot better for the sidechaining. Streams didn't duck low enough.
I could make some demo's, any specific scenarios people are interested in?
Last edited by SB-SIX on Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is a chance you might like this: https://soundcloud.com/steeboo

User avatar
durwin
Common Wiggler
Posts: 95
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:21 am

Post by durwin » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:52 am

Arriving soon and very keen to try it vs the Audio Damage

User avatar
dbeats
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:50 am
Location: Kiel, Germany

Post by dbeats » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:25 pm

The WMD Performance Mixer offers such a great variety of routing paths, but for my purposes and now combined with the MSCL I am still not perfectly happy: I would love to sidechain several stereo synth channels (like Elements, Clouds, Morphagene) but not the kick drum, of course. I can´t seem to do that without a second mixer module. I would love to have a stereo send/return path switchable per channel for that.

Anything I overlooked?

User avatar
revoltcrews
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1348
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:57 am
Contact:

Post by revoltcrews » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:03 am

quick inquiry. just put a MSCL in the case. sounds awesome.. but,

anyone else have problems with the bottom boards under the panel not fitting between the inside of your rails.

it will not fit in my mantis case at all. nope. won't go past the boards.

had to find a sweet spot in my other case to very carefully slide it in place to screw down, and it is literally less than a hair from touching the inside of my rails, screws in fine on top.
all other modules fit just fine with plenty of space.

word. wow does it add some punch to my drums tho !

***EDIT: reckon this fitting between inside of rails is related to Z-Rails. which is what i have in my custom case as well.

defenestration
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 611
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:21 am
Location: chicago

Post by defenestration » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:54 am

the MSCL definitely pushes the tolerance of PCB clearance on the rail - my WMD performance mixer is also quite close, but the MSCL is worse

I have built a couple cases and there is a bit of tolerance with how far the rails can be spaced, I've generally preferred to space the rails on the tighter end. so far the MSCL is the only module I have that gives one of my cases with tighter rail spacing a bit of trouble - I'm still able to fit it where I want but that's because I can shift the rails around ever so slightly so that the row the MSCL happens to be in has a slightly wider spacing

I suspect the mantis cases have been built to the tighter side of acceptable rail spacing, rather than it (only) being due to z-rails. my z-rails racked in z-ears are plenty far enough apart for an MSCL (depending on how you screw the z-ears to the z-rails you can affect the rail spacing quite a bit though). there does appear to be a small amount of PCB you could file off on the top and bottom but it's not much, maybe a mm or two at most between them

User avatar
revoltcrews
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1348
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:57 am
Contact:

Post by revoltcrews » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:50 am

right. its not just my case then. good to know.
and i can't move my rails around.
not sure i want to be filing down things. the leads are to the edge.
good thing it sounds as good as it does. otherwise....

User avatar
WMDevices
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 652
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:35 pm
Location: Denver, CO

Post by WMDevices » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:49 pm

defenestration wrote:the MSCL definitely pushes the tolerance of PCB clearance on the rail - my WMD performance mixer is also quite close, but the MSCL is worse

I have built a couple cases and there is a bit of tolerance with how far the rails can be spaced, I've generally preferred to space the rails on the tighter end. so far the MSCL is the only module I have that gives one of my cases with tighter rail spacing a bit of trouble - I'm still able to fit it where I want but that's because I can shift the rails around ever so slightly so that the row the MSCL happens to be in has a slightly wider spacing

I suspect the mantis cases have been built to the tighter side of acceptable rail spacing, rather than it (only) being due to z-rails. my z-rails racked in z-ears are plenty far enough apart for an MSCL (depending on how you screw the z-ears to the z-rails you can affect the rail spacing quite a bit though). there does appear to be a small amount of PCB you could file off on the top and bottom but it's not much, maybe a mm or two at most between them
Weird! It's definitely a taller module than most to accommodate the parts. It should be within the standard limits though. We never noticed it being that close to the rails in any of our cases. TTA included, but not a Mantis.

If you shoot me a photo, maybe there's a little manufacturing bit left on the board that could be filed down. We'd be happy to take care of this for you as well. Thanks and sorry for the trouble.
Check out the growing number of WMD Demo Videos | WMD Website

desolationjones
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 398
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:55 pm

Post by desolationjones » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:56 pm

I echo the sentiments regarding tight fit in a mantis case. I had to spread the rails a bit to make it fit.

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”