WMD MSCL stereo compressor

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

User avatar
revoltcrews
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1347
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:57 am
Contact:

Post by revoltcrews » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:48 pm

WMDevices wrote:
defenestration wrote:the MSCL definitely pushes the tolerance of PCB clearance on the rail - my WMD performance mixer is also quite close, but the MSCL is worse

I have built a couple cases and there is a bit of tolerance with how far the rails can be spaced, I've generally preferred to space the rails on the tighter end. so far the MSCL is the only module I have that gives one of my cases with tighter rail spacing a bit of trouble - I'm still able to fit it where I want but that's because I can shift the rails around ever so slightly so that the row the MSCL happens to be in has a slightly wider spacing

I suspect the mantis cases have been built to the tighter side of acceptable rail spacing, rather than it (only) being due to z-rails. my z-rails racked in z-ears are plenty far enough apart for an MSCL (depending on how you screw the z-ears to the z-rails you can affect the rail spacing quite a bit though). there does appear to be a small amount of PCB you could file off on the top and bottom but it's not much, maybe a mm or two at most between them
Weird! It's definitely a taller module than most to accommodate the parts. It should be within the standard limits though. We never noticed it being that close to the rails in any of our cases. TTA included, but not a Mantis.

If you shoot me a photo, maybe there's a little manufacturing bit left on the board that could be filed down. We'd be happy to take care of this for you as well. Thanks and sorry for the trouble.
pm'g shots

User avatar
Hirsbro
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 832
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:40 am
Location: Tisvildeleje Denmark

Post by Hirsbro » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:45 pm

revoltcrews wrote:
WMDevices wrote:
defenestration wrote:the MSCL definitely pushes the tolerance of PCB clearance on the rail - my WMD performance mixer is also quite close, but the MSCL is worse

I have built a couple cases and there is a bit of tolerance with how far the rails can be spaced, I've generally preferred to space the rails on the tighter end. so far the MSCL is the only module I have that gives one of my cases with tighter rail spacing a bit of trouble - I'm still able to fit it where I want but that's because I can shift the rails around ever so slightly so that the row the MSCL happens to be in has a slightly wider spacing

I suspect the mantis cases have been built to the tighter side of acceptable rail spacing, rather than it (only) being due to z-rails. my z-rails racked in z-ears are plenty far enough apart for an MSCL (depending on how you screw the z-ears to the z-rails you can affect the rail spacing quite a bit though). there does appear to be a small amount of PCB you could file off on the top and bottom but it's not much, maybe a mm or two at most between them
Weird! It's definitely a taller module than most to accommodate the parts. It should be within the standard limits though. We never noticed it being that close to the rails in any of our cases. TTA included, but not a Mantis.

If you shoot me a photo, maybe there's a little manufacturing bit left on the board that could be filed down. We'd be happy to take care of this for you as well. Thanks and sorry for the trouble.
pm'g shots
Im having the same problem. and that goes with the PM but I blame the Mantis for being too narrow not the WMD have to dig out my old DIY skiff which I hoped I was done with :sadbanana:
I could get em both in but they had to sit in the middle of the upper or lower row but in both cases the rails was visably bend/arched/deform and I dont think it was healthy for either WMD's

User avatar
Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:17 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:50 am

Quite interested in one of these for the live case. I also have an Analog Heat that I use on the master as a compressor mostly but I'd use this just for the modular. Anyone that have both care to compare ?

At 4hp it really looks quite handy, even just for limiting and glue-ing purposes.

User avatar
Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:17 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:37 am

Well I just got one and it does mesh the modular wonderfully together. I was a bit baffled at the side chain at first because gates from Pamela's New Workout created a real strange behavior until I realized they were just way too long; quick trigs are perfect so that you can shape the response with the Attack Decay knobs. I find the distortion a bit harsh though, but I'm trying to keep clear of it; if I want distortion I have an Analog Heat on the master.

Here's my first try with it : it is used on the master stereo of the modular to compress everything as well as side chain a Manis Iteritas drone. I don't know if that's standard operation or not ? People seem to have one for each of these tasks... I don't think I have space for another one though.

Anyway here's the result :

https://soundcloud.com/tumulishoomaroom/mmf-sine

monaacosta
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:42 am

Post by monaacosta » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:28 pm

WOW! I LOVE U

User avatar
bitbin
Common Wiggler
Posts: 216
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:58 am
Contact:

Post by bitbin » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:54 pm

Can I ask how people are using this on the master stereo output of their mix with a side chain input activated? Obviously if the kick is going to the master output and this is also triggering the side chain input, then ducking will occur when the kick is present, turning the kick down itself in the mix!

Usually you would setup a group bus and insert a compressor on that and feed a side chain input from the kick, leaving the kick out of the group. The kick then being sent to the final output - but this wouldn't be possible when using say the WMD performance mixer.

Cheers :guinness:

User avatar
JonathanBedrava
Common Wiggler
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:03 pm
Location: Noblesville, IN
Contact:

Post by JonathanBedrava » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:38 pm

You bring up a really good point here, right when I was about to pull the trigger on one of these. Now I've got to know the answer!
bitbin wrote:Can I ask how people are using this on the master stereo output of their mix with a side chain input activated? Obviously if the kick is going to the master output and this is also triggering the side chain input, then ducking will occur when the kick is present, turning the kick down itself in the mix!

Usually you would setup a group bus and insert a compressor on that and feed a side chain input from the kick, leaving the kick out of the group. The kick then being sent to the final output - but this wouldn't be possible when using say the WMD performance mixer.

Cheers :guinness:

User avatar
damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1663
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:33 am
Location: Texas

Post by damase » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:51 pm

I dont do this, but you could get a submixer like Intellijel Mixup and mix your kick in with the master output of the pm at that point.

But i interpret that there is some of us like myself that use it on the master as just a master compressor and there are others who use it to sidechain other submixes (not on the master)

User avatar
rutabaga40
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 912
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:57 pm
Contact:

Post by rutabaga40 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:10 pm

RE: mixup. That is exactly what I do.

I have kick and a couple other percussion modules going to the mixup.

All melodic elements go into the performance mixer.

Send/Return from PM goes to the compressor. Kick is multed out to SC that.

Mixup, with kick and misc perc, gets routed into the additional Mix input on the PM. Importantly, this input does NOT go to the send/return. Yes!

So melodic stuff gets pump, kick does not. Everything goes out together from the PM.

User avatar
honeysmack
Common Wiggler
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:23 am
Location: Acid Planet
Contact:

Post by honeysmack » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:09 am

I use the MSCL with a couple of MixUps.

MixUps->Rosie->MSCL->Analog Heat.

Made for bangers!

tbecker
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 640
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:48 am

Post by tbecker » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:32 am

Late to this party. I just got one for my small experimental 6U and really really like it. Two 4301s! Thats like $20 worth of analog chips people! Of course it sounds damn good and the interface is really killer for modular. Another really great product WMD! Form factor is great what a really well thought out design. Thinking about replacing a digital AD kompressor in my main case with a second one of these....

User avatar
Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1535
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:57 pm

Post by Multi Grooves » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:13 pm

Xssory wrote:no problem!

This is actually the first high quality analog compressor I've ever owned and man does it sound good - didn't realize what I was missing!
How do you define high quality?
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

goldi
Common Wiggler
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:00 pm
Location: NYC

Post by goldi » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:29 pm

Multi Grooves wrote:
Xssory wrote:no problem!

This is actually the first high quality analog compressor I've ever owned and man does it sound good - didn't realize what I was missing!
How do you define high quality?
That’s from the WMD description. It’s a great compressor tho. Way better than their previous (larger) version.

tbecker
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 640
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:48 am

Post by tbecker » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:33 am

Multi Grooves wrote:
Xssory wrote:no problem!

This is actually the first high quality analog compressor I've ever owned and man does it sound good - didn't realize what I was missing!
How do you define high quality?
THAT4301 chips in a euro module is pretty high quality. It don't imagine it would be better than some of the regular 19" rack format or some of the high end api 500 series format compressors that are out there. It does sound better than my AD Kompressor. We will have to compare it to the upcoming cwejman stereo comp to be sure of how high quality it is.

defenestration
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 611
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:21 am
Location: chicago

Post by defenestration » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:52 am

the main thing that will affect the sound quality you get from the MSCL will be the quality of your power supply and if you have any system configuration issues

I have been very happy with the WMD Compressor that I've had since release, and the MSCL, which I don't think I've had for quite a year yet. if you go for 'tone' out of them they tend towards crunchy and chunky (MSCL is smoother ofc, with less options for gain staging/saturation etc.) so I wouldn't mind sometimes to have a 'sweeter' alternative when I'm using a compressor for its 'color', but they do excellent transparent compression on less aggressive settings

only feature I wish the MSCL had that it doesn't is envelope follower CV out

Dogma
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4133
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:46 pm

Post by Dogma » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:57 am

THAT 4301 is in many 500 series and 19" and is the industry standard in pro audio...
To have it in euro is very cool. I didnt even know about this really. Might be perfect to pair with my MBC-3.......
L1 uses this THAT chip too and is crazy good value......
Stereo, dual 4301's and $250....thats a pretty damn attractive recipe
look up!

tbecker
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 640
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:48 am

Post by tbecker » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:22 pm

Dogma wrote:THAT 4301 is in many 500 series and 19" and is the industry standard in pro audio...
To have it in euro is very cool. I didnt even know about this really. Might be perfect to pair with my MBC-3.......
L1 uses this THAT chip too and is crazy good value......
Stereo, dual 4301's and $250....thats a pretty damn attractive recipe
Lets not take this too far. I have a much better unit in my 19" rack and a more creative unit on my table but this one is the shit in 4hp euro!

Dogma
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4133
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:46 pm

Post by Dogma » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:20 am

So you have a "better" comp in your rack and a more "creative" unit on your table....thats great :hmm: Stereo, 4hp and $250?

The 4301 is in some spanking pro compressors - it is the industry standard.

WMD use the best components. Even their mixer uses the best line drivers....
look up!

User avatar
Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1535
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:57 pm

Post by Multi Grooves » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:02 am

Against something like an empirical labs or avalon where do we think this chip sits?
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

Dogma
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4133
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:46 pm

Post by Dogma » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:27 am

Multi Grooves wrote:Against something like an empirical labs or avalon where do we think this chip sits?
Its just a chip, wouldn't come close to those compressors....they have so many more controls and full analog circuits and this is a chip so they may use only a potion of the 4301 if at all.....vari-mu (tubes) diode bridge (neve), opto (la-2a), Fet (1176) - all different techniques and topologies to achieve the similar results
say the Neve - it uses the BA circuits from 107x to provide the 40db make-up gain from the diode bride loss....thats gonna sound a whole lot different to a little chip

I was reading this interview with Dave Derr who designed the empirical labs distressor. Its so clean (.002 THD or something ridiculous) and he had to add all these little distortion tricks to make it sound the way it does....
look up!

User avatar
Bitmud
Common Wiggler
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:20 am

Post by Bitmud » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:43 am

Chip Chip Chipo Chip...
Here some examples of using this little buddy for drum loops.
I have the MSCL in my case for compression and as a output limiter.

1. more room for the bass
2. parallel compression
3. heavy compression

4. :guinness:




have fun

Dogma
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4133
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:46 pm

Post by Dogma » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:17 am

Bitmud wrote:Chip Chip Chipo Chip...
Here some examples of using this little buddy for drum loops.
I have the MSCL in my case for compression and as a output limiter.

1. more room for the bass
2. parallel compression
3. heavy compression

4. :guinness:




have fun
im guessing you where using pretty extreme settings?
Yeah i can see that on a buss/main outs for the limiter and to some shaping....
Got any demos without the hats? With the compression on the codec it was hard to tell if it was muddy or pumping like fuck
look up!

User avatar
Bitmud
Common Wiggler
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:20 am

Post by Bitmud » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:35 am

Dogma wrote:
Bitmud wrote:Chip Chip Chipo Chip...
Here some examples of using this little buddy for drum loops.
I have the MSCL in my case for compression and as a output limiter.

1. more room for the bass
2. parallel compression
3. heavy compression

4. :guinness:




have fun
im guessing you where using pretty extreme settings?
Yeah i can see that on a buss/main outs for the limiter and to some shaping....
Got any demos without the hats? With the compression on the codec it was hard to tell if it was muddy or pumping like fuck
The last one has some extreme settings.
All loops are old vinyl samples, again the last one is muddy as hell.

Maybe I can upload a snipped with more hi-quality drums later.

User avatar
Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1535
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:57 pm

Post by Multi Grooves » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:45 am

Nice one Bitmud.
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

User avatar
Bitmud
Common Wiggler
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:20 am

Post by Bitmud » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:39 pm

... and here it is...
https://soundcloud.com/bitmud/20180714- ... est-part-2


drums with / without comp and peak limiter

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”