WMD MSCL stereo compressor

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:08 pm

Tumulishroomaroom wrote:Well I just got one and it does mesh the modular wonderfully together. I was a bit baffled at the side chain at first because gates from Pamela's New Workout created a real strange behavior until I realized they were just way too long; quick trigs are perfect so that you can shape the response with the Attack Decay knobs. I find the distortion a bit harsh though, but I'm trying to keep clear of it; if I want distortion I have an Analog Heat on the master.

Here's my first try with it : it is used on the master stereo of the modular to compress everything as well as side chain a Manis Iteritas drone. I don't know if that's standard operation or not ? People seem to have one for each of these tasks... I don't think I have space for another one though.

Anyway here's the result :

https://soundcloud.com/tumulishoomaroom/mmf-sine
seriously digging this one. what's the kick? reminds me of that lovely dull thud that wolfgang voigt uses in his gas project which i adore.

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:32 am

dooj88 wrote:
Tumulishroomaroom wrote:Well I just got one and it does mesh the modular wonderfully together. I was a bit baffled at the side chain at first because gates from Pamela's New Workout created a real strange behavior until I realized they were just way too long; quick trigs are perfect so that you can shape the response with the Attack Decay knobs. I find the distortion a bit harsh though, but I'm trying to keep clear of it; if I want distortion I have an Analog Heat on the master.

Here's my first try with it : it is used on the master stereo of the modular to compress everything as well as side chain a Manis Iteritas drone. I don't know if that's standard operation or not ? People seem to have one for each of these tasks... I don't think I have space for another one though.

Anyway here's the result :

https://soundcloud.com/tumulishoomaroom/mmf-sine
seriously digging this one. what's the kick? reminds me of that lovely dull thud that wolfgang voigt uses in his gas project which i adore.
Damn ! I worship GAS so that's highly appreciated praise ! If I remember well the kick was a heavily low passed sample from the Digitakt; nothing too fancy.

Yloopz
Common Wiggler

Post by Yloopz » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:04 pm

I've got this compressor and used it between the hexmix and an intellijel output module. But now I bought the hexpander... how do I use it now so the stereo mix get affected bij de compressor? Just patch it in the send/ruturn? But the send is mono... anyone else got this combination?

Edit: little more thinking... all channels are mono :bang: i am making a stereo field bij panning.... sorry, thought of my own solution. Thanks for listening :oops:
My imagination is my inspiration...
Instagram: @jungleofwires

BTG
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BTG » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:34 pm

Edit: ignore, wrong thread

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:49 pm

here's my take on trance? techno? not familiar with sub-scenes so i'm not sure what to call it (hints welcome..). anyway, the kick is sidechained with the MSCL. there's a lot of dynamic range in this one, and the compressor keeps everyone even keeled. friggin love this thing!!!

tumulishoomaroom, this one is inspired by you, man. been going over your insta and i love your sound.

[video][/video]

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:14 pm

Very nice intertwining melodic drones, well done! Loved the phase modulation into shapeshifter (?)

And thank you very much, that's really appreciated. Glad you like my snippets ! (Trying to come up with an ep soonish...)

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:42 pm

sweet, glad to hear it, and looking forward to it! the main voice is actually the Spectrum, modulated by a combo of PWM and FM from the Piston Honda w/ a bit of frequency shifting on the send of the DLD.

lionelfischer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lionelfischer » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:15 pm

Yloopz wrote:I've got this compressor and used it between the hexmix and an intellijel output module. But now I bought the hexpander... how do I use it now so the stereo mix get affected bij de compressor? Just patch it in the send/ruturn? But the send is mono... anyone else got this combination?

Edit: little more thinking... all channels are mono :bang: i am making a stereo field bij panning.... sorry, thought of my own solution. Thanks for listening :oops:
i have a hexmix and hexpander too and use the compressor all the time but wondering how to integrate it into my hexmixers, i guess just 1/8'' outs into the compressor and then into my daw. i was really enjoying using the proper 1/4'' outs on the hexmix tho, what did you end up doing?

NoLegs
Ultra Wiggler

Post by NoLegs » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:51 pm

Went a little extreme on this one with the MSCL - ran my drum submix through it cranked the compression all the way up with the gain about halfway up. I ran that through a Lyra-8 and Worng Electronics LRMSMSLR for side processing and then sent the result through an Analog Heat.

[video][/video]

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:46 pm

NoLegs wrote:Went a little extreme on this one with the MSCL - ran my drum submix through it cranked the compression all the way up with the gain about halfway up. I ran that through a Lyra-8 and Worng Electronics LRMSMSLR for side processing and then sent the result through an Analog Heat.
Pretty much how I use it all the time :hihi:

Mashmore
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Mashmore » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:27 pm

could someone enlighten me on what the Rms and ADP switch on the pub is doing exzactly?

Yloopz
Common Wiggler

Post by Yloopz » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:57 pm

lionelfischer wrote:
Yloopz wrote:I've got this compressor and used it between the hexmix and an intellijel output module. But now I bought the hexpander... how do I use it now so the stereo mix get affected bij de compressor? Just patch it in the send/ruturn? But the send is mono... anyone else got this combination?

i have a hexmix and hexpander too and use the compressor all the time but wondering how to integrate it into my hexmixers, i guess just 1/8'' outs into the compressor and then into my daw. i was really enjoying using the proper 1/4'' outs on the hexmix tho, what did you end up doing?
Sorry, little late that I saw this, but I used it on the send/return... i couldnt think of how to use it otherwise.
My imagination is my inspiration...
Instagram: @jungleofwires

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:55 pm

Mashmore wrote:could someone enlighten me on what the Rms and ADP switch on the pub is doing exzactly?
Those settings control how compression acts on signal transients. Adaptive response has a a variable rate response, that allows it to act quickly on big transients, but not kill response on small signals.

Mashmore
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Mashmore » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:07 am

Hovercraft wrote:
Mashmore wrote:could someone enlighten me on what the Rms and ADP switch on the pub is doing exzactly?
Those settings control how compression acts on signal transients. Adaptive response has a a variable rate response, that allows it to act quickly on big transients, but not kill response on small signals.
Many thanks! So would RMS the inverse of this? I would experiment more but I have a mantis case and it’s a total pain in the ass to get this module in and out of the rack lol.

Noisepan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Noisepan » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:03 am

I just picked up the MSCL, and as someone who just plays straight from the rack to speakers in their living room, all I can say is wow, it just pulls everything together. My bass drum stands out, everything sounds cohesive.

Really glad I have this now

PopGoblin
Common Wiggler

strange behaviour

Post by PopGoblin » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:13 am

I'm beginning too see some strange behaviour from my mscl - no matter the compression, the gain can't be increased to more then 12 o'clock, or the module goes into some very noisy howling sound in some kind of weird feedback loop. Mainly in the left channel...

Has anybody else seen this?

Nino
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nino » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:39 pm

You sure you didn't patch a feedback patch accidentally?
Just asking because 2-3 days ago the very same happened to me (<12 o'clock gain, otherwise crazyness) and i figured i put the L+R out of MSCL into 'Mix In' instead of 'Return'. :omg:

Aaronautical001
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Aaronautical001 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:39 am

Hi all,
Apologies for the newbie question, but compressors are a new concept for me....

If I want to use this as a limiter to avoid unexpected volume spikes, what settings would be appropriate?

I have the Casper/ Bastl dark matter module, and want to avoid damaging my monitors :twisted:

Thanks for any advice, didn’t see a manual as such so thought I’d check here.

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:07 am

lol. pretty much EXACT same question as above. Fear Of The Dark Matter INDEED!

i'm a git about compressors, have an Autodyne for side chain ducking and tightening/dirtying beats from the Assimil8or, but want to use the MSCL as a limiter on the main outs of the Performance Mixer.

any suggestions on knob settings to start with?
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

SB-SIX
Ultra Wiggler

Post by SB-SIX » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:10 am

For limiting, set upper switch to limit (right). No attack (CCW), Comp, release and gain at noon would be a good starting point. Set the threshold switch depending on how loud the incoming signal is. Set it so that the led is green on quiet signals, and red on high peaks. Red means the signal is reduced by the limiter. Now just move the comp knob to adjust the amount of limiting.
There is a chance you might like this: https://soundcloud.com/steeboo

Aaronautical001
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Aaronautical001 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:47 am

Thanks SB-SIX. These were the settings i had settled on but its great to have confirmation!

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:43 am

i've only ever used my mscl for sidechain pumping once, but other than that it is a limiter. before i would sometimes get huge disparity between voices in the patch, even with very careful gain staging. this little guy has cleaned all that up, even saving me takes by eliminating clipping that would have to start recording over on. love it.

gummyboy
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gummyboy » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:00 pm

[quote="SB-SIX"]No attack (CCW),[/

Not CW?
My mscl attack gets faster toward CCW

SB-SIX
Ultra Wiggler

Post by SB-SIX » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:00 am

gummyboy wrote:
SB-SIX wrote:No attack (CCW),[/

Not CW?
My mscl attack gets faster toward CCW
Yes when limiting you want the fastest attack possible right? Otherwise transients are coming thru that should have been limited. If the impact gets lost too much you can turn up the attack a little.
There is a chance you might like this: https://soundcloud.com/steeboo

spilthyfred
Common Wiggler

Post by spilthyfred » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:28 am

Anyone rocking more than one of these in their system?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”