Ribbon controllers?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

mousegarden
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Ribbon controllers?

Post by mousegarden » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:09 am

In my quest to get some sort of a similar expression out of my modular that I can get out of Animoog ( :roll: ) I'm thinking of getting a ribbon controller.
Trouble is, I've used up all of my hp, and have no more room. I didn't realise the Doepfer ribbon needed a module to support it, be grateful for any other takes on this... :hmm:

Rigo
Chief Spam Killer

Re: Ribbon controllers?

Post by Rigo » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:14 am

mousegarden wrote: I didn't realise the Doepfer ribbon needed a module to support it, be grateful for any other takes on this... :hmm:
It doesn't ... you can have it with an external control box.

mousegarden
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Ribbon controllers?

Post by mousegarden » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:15 am

Rigo wrote:
mousegarden wrote: I didn't realise the Doepfer ribbon needed a module to support it, be grateful for any other takes on this... :hmm:
It doesn't ... you can have it with an external control box.
Really? :doh:

Must investigate further, I was under the impression it needed a module.

Rigo
Chief Spam Killer

Post by Rigo » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:17 am

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:17 am

But does the controller box spit out CV and gates? I think it's MIDI only :hmm:

Edit: ok. It does CV.

Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:37 am

Eowave Ribbon.

Thread here

viewtopic.php?p=2254160#2254160

mousegarden
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mousegarden » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:23 pm

I'm going to think about all of this, Animoog is a difficult act to follow. Plus it's small and fits into a large coat pocket...... :hihi: it may be limited tone wise, but expressively, it's beyond beyond. I'd say it's the best thing Moog have produced since the C3.

scottmoon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by scottmoon » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:55 pm

Ribbon will fit in a pant leg. :woah: I miss my R2M. Lots of fun with Rings or Elements. You get more function with the box.
"If you think this world is bad, you should see some of the others" - PKD

My band's noise https://soundcloud.com/lunarasylum

mousegarden
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mousegarden » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:56 pm

scottmoon wrote:Ribbon will fit in a pant leg. :woah: I miss my R2M. Lots of fun with Rings or Elements. You get more function with the box.
I've got to give it a go, I'll let you know how it works out.

Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:20 am

scottmoon wrote:Ribbon will fit in a pant leg.
I thought you were just pleased to see me. :waah:

Hanz
Analogue Avenger

Post by Hanz » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:53 am

Walking Stick, right there.
Easily the best looking and very true-to-form. However, a bit barebones / hardcore, functionally.
So it doesn't *require* any other modules. But it greatly helps though.

http://psionicsoundworks.com/
“...I am merely a conduit, a kind of big hairy tool. I am just a plastic funnel connected to a Moog...”

mousegarden
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mousegarden » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:20 am

Hanz wrote:Walking Stick, right there.
Easily the best looking and very true-to-form. However, a bit barebones / hardcore, functionally.
So it doesn't *require* any other modules. But it greatly helps though.

http://psionicsoundworks.com/
I've got to have it, on looks alone....

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:54 am

Walking stick is the one I have but it's the old one without a gate. Works nicely.

Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:33 am

mousegarden wrote:
I've got to have it, on looks alone....
Walking Stick doesn't hold the position voltage on release. So if that's important to you (it is for me) you'd need to patch that up separately. Hold on the Doepfer ribbon is switchable on the breakout module and/or the midi unit. Eowave Ribbon always holds.

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:41 am

Umcorps wrote:
scottmoon wrote:Ribbon will fit in a pant leg.
I thought you were just pleased to see me. :waah:
:lolspew:

I like how the Doepfer last you choose hold or not, and it still gives you a finger activated gate out. :tu:

thee ghost ov n_phay
Common Wiggler

Post by thee ghost ov n_phay » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:27 pm

the doepfer has a couple of quirks, firstly is that if you touch the ribbon in 2 places, you get a voltage out equivalent to some position between your 2 fingers, this is annoying and it would be loads better if instaed it had a kind of high note or low note priority. AFAIK there's no way around this.

I had an R2M, IDK if this is fixed in later units but the pressure out on mine (and on other people's I communicate/d with) has stairstepping on the output, so you get a kind of clicky/zipper noise effect when using it for vol or filter unless you a/use an LPG b/use a lag processor. I part -exed my R2M for the module that goes w the ribbon, with full disclosure, and noticed that the guy who got it sold it himself shortly afterwards.

It's a shame b/c in every other respect the Doepfer ribbon controller is great I think. Apart for the ugly-ass doepfer font, that sucks ofc. :D

mousegarden
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mousegarden » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:02 pm

Umcorps wrote:Walking Stick doesn't hold the position voltage on release. So if that's important to you (it is for me) you'd need to patch that up separately. Hold on the Doepfer ribbon is switchable on the breakout module and/or the midi unit. Eowave Ribbon always holds.
What does this actually mean in real terms? Does it mean that if I take my finger off and then touch it again anywhere, it triggers the last note I played?

Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:30 am

mousegarden wrote: What does this actually mean in real terms? Does it mean that if I take my finger off and then touch it again anywhere, it triggers the last note I played?
It means that when you touch the patched up Walking Stick you get a note voltage related to your finger position but when you take your finger off, the note voltage falls back down to zero.

On the Eowave, when you take your finger off, the note voltage holds at whatever it was until you touch it again.

So the Walking Stick behaves more like a string instrument - you get the note your choose for as long as you hold down the string but let go and you're back to the open string. The Eowave and Doepfer in hold mode behave more like a keyboard - hit a key and the note value remains until you hit another key.

If you can, find someone with the Doepfer ribbon so you can try out both options and see what works best for you. The Walking Stick is very nice but if you really want the note hold behaviour its going to be an expensive source of frustration.

mousegarden
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mousegarden » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:24 am

Umcorps wrote:
mousegarden wrote: What does this actually mean in real terms? Does it mean that if I take my finger off and then touch it again anywhere, it triggers the last note I played?
It means that when you touch the patched up Walking Stick you get a note voltage related to your finger position but when you take your finger off, the note voltage falls back down to zero.

On the Eowave, when you take your finger off, the note voltage holds at whatever it was until you touch it again.

So the Walking Stick behaves more like a string instrument - you get the note your choose for as long as you hold down the string but let go and you're back to the open string. The Eowave and Doepfer in hold mode behave more like a keyboard - hit a key and the note value remains until you hit another key.

If you can, find someone with the Doepfer ribbon so you can try out both options and see what works best for you. The Walking Stick is very nice but if you really want the note hold behaviour its going to be an expensive source of frustration.
Thanks, I'll have to check one out, probably at London modular, I seem to remember he had some things there.

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:58 am

Umcorps wrote:

If that walking stick also puts out a gate once you touch it dou can run the CV out through a track and hold module and gate it on and off with the touch gate.

okkoto
Common Wiggler

Post by okkoto » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:10 pm

I think I noticed on instagram that Synthrotek is working on a ribbon based thingy

scottmoon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by scottmoon » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:20 pm

"If you think this world is bad, you should see some of the others" - PKD

My band's noise https://soundcloud.com/lunarasylum

mmm
yummm!

Post by mmm » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:55 pm

okkoto wrote:I think I noticed on instagram that Synthrotek is working on a ribbon based thingy
Shipping as of today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm2mJw8TdWo&t=3s

Grimulkan
Common Wiggler

Post by Grimulkan » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:35 am

I bought the Doepfer R2M for a similar purpose, but it doesn't quite get to the Animoog experience IMO. Even a Linnstrument doesn't. They do their own thing though.

The R2M has a number of issues depending on your use case. See the TLN-854 Sword of Kahless mod. For egs., the MIDI will still hold the last position you had your finger on, even if you release it. I was going to sell it, until I started using the CV directly! Separate gate and pitch is handy, and you can slew/scale the pressure CV to get a good response.

Now the R2M lets me pretend I have a Voyager XL :mrgreen:

For the Animoog experience, I eventually did this:

ntkrw
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ntkrw » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:50 pm

Received my Eowave Ribbon 2 from Juno today, surprisingly the 3.5mm split cable (volt/octave: tip, gate: ring) is not included.

This cable is very rare and hard to find! Can any one recommend one to me please?
Last edited by ntkrw on Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”